Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

"Kintamayama" posted:

I've been asked what the ##$%^ is going on and why am I uploading when I have already announced my retirement and where is my honor etc.. etc... It's really very simple: I think foreign sumo fans (and Japanese sumo fans abroad as well) deserve to be able to watch sumo in a timely fashion (love those two words..) without having to sell their family heirlooms. NHK World is a great step forward. But still not what I thought-we should be able to watch the day's bouts at our own leisure.
Since this service is still missing, I will continue to try to provide it, anonymous threats notwithstanding.

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_0h-cUIs4

Couple of great battles, but still about what you'd expect from the early basho mismatches. As you would expect, Ikioi v Yoshikaze was a spirited one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_0h-cUIs4

Yoshikaze-Ikioi for MOTN.

E:f,b

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

How often do we get to say that in the highly-active sumo thread? :haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gagamaru is showing a little more strength and agility this basho.

Mita-kun, future yokozuna, gets the last match of the day as is proper.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Gagamaru is showing a little more strength and agility this basho.

He has lost a bit of weight since last time it looks like, but if he can't climb out of Juryo I dunno what his future is looking like.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fluffdaddy posted:

He has lost a bit of weight since last time it looks like, but if he can't climb out of Juryo I dunno what his future is looking like.

Full of sushi and sake, but not getting up at 4am anymore.

Do the sumo stables have like... an accountant or investment manager that works with all the members of a stable, or is it up to them on an individual basis to take care of their own finances(or hire someone)? A lot of wrestlers don't really have an education right?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The national sumo association (called the nippon sumo kyokai or NSK) handles the taxes of the rikishi. The stable handles food, board, and training, but the NSK handles the wages, bonuses, taxes, ad revenue. As you said, a lot of wrestlers lack any formal education. Of course, the NSK is made up entirely of former wrestlers. I personally think that's where a lot of issues come from with yakuza, match fixing for money etc. Lately though this is changing and some guys have been in and out of business school.

To be honest a lot of the stable members don't earn so much money so its very easy for them to get into money troubles.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtonhgvrRXI

Nothing really stood out as MOTN, but I'll give 'Carpet Burns of the Night' to Kaisei-Tochinoshin.

Tochiozan claims another head for his Yoko trophy case!

Mitakeumi's journey of pain and suffering through the sanyaku ranks continues.

Did Harumafuji really just stumble out of the ring?

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2016

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Pleasantly surprised to see Kintamayama uploading videos!

The NSK, as it was described, sounds like a mafia. The rikishi earn and the NSK gets to dole out the money as they see fit, they get to make the business decisions and the soldiers go out and earn. Makes it remarkably easy to corrupt, especially if many of the members have no true business management education. The yakuza can easily influence things if the NSK has money troubles.

Also, are Kintamayama's videos higher res now? We were casting them last night and they looked sharper.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The NSK is technically a state organization, so it can't really run into money troubles.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

anakha posted:

Did Harumafuji really just stumble out of the ring?

The bad luck of the spacing of Harumafuji's step there was ridiculous. Another couple Cm either way and he would have been fine. The side of his foot just caught the rope and there was nothing he could do about it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

s!

The NSK, as it was described, sounds like a mafia. The rikishi earn and the NSK gets to dole out the money as they see fit, they get to make the business decisions and the soldiers go out and earn.

Just sounds like a normal Japanese company to me, tbh.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

The NSK is technically a state organization, so it can't really run into money troubles.

Really? As far as I know its a separate corporation with just tax-exempt status (that it received in 2014).

Edit: After reading into the finer points of Japanese non-profit law way too much, it seems that they are only authorized by the government to act as a public organization in exchange for tax exemption (on certain things). However the government does not control them, it is entirely hands off. One concession they make is to have an oversight committee of people external to the Association to oversee financial administration and so on. However this committee is only 3 people and some of them are old wrestlers who were just away from the sport for a while, so...
As far as I can understand, if there is some gross mismanagement or people became completely uninterested in sumo it could fold like any other corporation. Other corporations operating under the same status are some baseball leagues, a company that distributes animals for scientific experimentation, an opera house etc.

Probably the closest thing in the US would be the NCAA.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 13, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You've obviously done more reading than me, I just looked it up on Wikipedia. From reading the Wiki article closer, it uses vague terms like "under the jurisdiction of" and "ancillary to" the Japanese Ministry of Education, so they may not actually be a part of it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Also, are Kintamayama's videos higher res now? We were casting them last night and they looked sharper.

It depends on his source. Since all I'm aware of changing is the NHK digest - which is clearly not where he's getting it from in order to have all of the videos - I'm not sure where he's getting them from. One of his other sources must have come back online.

What a day for upsets. A lot of them in convincing fashion, too.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

this thread is literally my only way of keeping up with sumo outside of wikipedia so thank you guys for the highlight videos and general opinions. It helps me get a bit more background and insight on the sport.

also an A+ title.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Kakuryu is out of the tournament due to herniated disk. Commentators on TV said that doctors had him out for at least two weeks. That's pretty surprising to me. I had always thought of a herniated disk as something that is pretty serious and needs surgery. Anyone more knowledgable about these things want to comment?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Kakuryu is out of the tournament due to herniated disk. Commentators on TV said that doctors had him out for at least two weeks. That's pretty surprising to me. I had always thought of a herniated disk as something that is pretty serious and needs surgery. Anyone more knowledgable about these things want to comment?

Herniated disks are one of those injuries that has an extremely wide range of severity, and is very often misdiagnosed. Doctors swore up down and sideways when I was in college that I had a herniated disk from rowing - after two spinal taps it turned out it was piriformis syndrome.

If his pain is in his lower back and not radiating down his legs, it's probably pretty mild. I'm still surprised by 2 weeks in any case, so it may be that he's going on the 15-day DL with a slim chance he won't need to go to the 60-day.

Puckish Rogue posted:

this thread is literally my only way of keeping up with sumo outside of wikipedia so thank you guys for the highlight videos and general opinions. It helps me get a bit more background and insight on the sport.

also an A+ title.

sumoforum.net if you want to rub elbows with Kintamayama himself and lots of other very knowledgable folks. But yeah, this thread has been great for consolidated video links, articles, and goonpinions. I can't take credit for the title either - I had used 'pigs colliding' from an old quote from a stablemaster during the scandals, but someone else came along and won the internet with a single letter change.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day Fo': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ouy1SZQEo

Terunofuji is back and strong as ever, and a few others are most definitely hurting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mitakeumi is scheduled to face Kotoshougiku tomorrow. How does a guy get scheduled to fight 2 ozeki and all 3 yokozuna in his first 5 matches?!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 13, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Mitakeumi is scheduled to face Kotoshougiku tomorrow. How does a guy get scheduled to fight 2 ozeki and all 3 yokozuna in his first 5 matches?!

That is pretty much the norm for M1. Komusubi and sekiwake are similarly-scheduled as well. They don't call it the meat grinder for nothing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

That is pretty much the norm for M1. Komusubi and sekiwake are similarly-scheduled as well. They don't call it the meat grinder for nothing.

On maybe the opposite side of the coin, what do they do with low rank guys (like M12 type guys who wouldn't normally be anywhere near the named ranks in the tourney) who go on a hot streak and win a bunch in a row to start against the bottom of the list? Do they let him run with his original schedule and see if he gets lucky or will they toss him an actual contender to clean up the standings once he gets his 8?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
If it starts to make a difference in who wins the tournament, they'll put him up against higher ranked guys, specifically the ones who have similar records.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

pseudodragon posted:

On maybe the opposite side of the coin, what do they do with low rank guys (like M12 type guys who wouldn't normally be anywhere near the named ranks in the tourney) who go on a hot streak and win a bunch in a row to start against the bottom of the list? Do they let him run with his original schedule and see if he gets lucky or will they toss him an actual contender to clean up the standings once he gets his 8?

They'll actually wait until pretty late to start throwing them up to the big guns. If they're 10-0 or 11-0 they'll start putting them in the high Maegashiras, and any more and they'll get up among the Ozeki.

As you can imagine though, everything falls into place once in a while and waiting so long backfires.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201205#M
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=200003#M

Bout by bout on the last one:
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=18&b=200003
They bumped him to the sanyaku on 10 wins, he won both so they threw him up to the yokozuna where he lost. Satisfied they put him back to sanyaku but the leading yokozuna musashimaru lost twice in a row and takatoriki won his 3rd sanyaku bout.

He got promoted up to kosumubi where he had been before, but that basho the upper tier was absolutely stacked, he had no chance.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6bAkTGF-5M

:drat:

Whadda bunch of great bouts starting around sanyaku in particular.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: today: Today was indeed great. The biggest surprise was Hakuho, of course, because Kise is expected to gently caress up when the heat is on LOOOOOOL

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJw20tkMx0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

So if Nishikigi follows the same pattern as Mitakeumi this basho--a kachikoshi after a makekoshi debut--will he get thrown to the wolves next basho? Poor guy.

I was afraid Mitakeumi's confidence was wrecked; in his first couple bashos I was impressed by the way it appeared that he never resigned himself to a loss even when he was hopelessly on edge. He appears to have returned to gently caress-you mode.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 15, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

So if Nishikigi follows the same pattern as Mitakeumi this basho--a kachikoshi after a makekoshi debut--will he get thrown to the wolves next basho? Poor guy.

I was afraid Mitakeumi's confidence was wrecked; in his first couple bashos I was impressed by the way it appeared that he never resigned himself to a loss even when he was hopelessly on edge. He appears to have returned to gently caress-you mode.

Nishikigi is M14, so he'd have to like, yusho to end up in the meatgrinder next basho. And even then, I don't know if anyone has ever jumped from M14 directly to sanyaku. Shodai, however, has a chance to end up there if he does well. He's just a cut below meatgrinder right now at M4, but he'll still face off against several of the sanyaku before the basho is up.

I don't know if anything spits in the face of yaocho more than these last two bouts against Kisenosato. I've never seen two wrestlers more desperate to dance around and keep him off of their belts. He's going to have to shift tactics and go straight oshidashi (which he is great at) rather than trying to lunge for the belt on retreating rikishi, or I don't see him being perfect between now and his matchup against Hakuho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xnAr5UdZE

E: Tochiozan-Terunofuji juuuuust beats out Chiyonokuni-Endo for MOTN.

:lol: Chiyootori barking at the gyoji in the middle of the bout.

Hakuho is being tentative again and I don't like it.

I was wondering when Harumafuji would bust out the not-really-a-henka again.

anakha fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBcjQxS6afU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The second half of today's matches were pretty enjoyable.

Can we just have the gyoji in red assigned to Chiyootori for every bout?

I had Chiyonokumi-Ichinojo just above Kisenosato-Kotoyuki for MOTN... until I saw Goeido-Terunofuji. drat.

Is Tochinoshin hurt or something? I'm trying to figure out the reason for this losing streak.

I'm convinced - Shodai looks to be legit.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Thoughts on today: The stars have aligned to put Kisenosato in a very good position to finally win a tournament. I hesitate to say "handed" the tournament because there is still a week to go. Hakuho's match was weird and makes me think he was injured. We'll see, I guess.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CfrSAbtjhw

Both Yokozuna down! :stare: Best day of the tournament by far IMO.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 18, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is the weirdest basho.

I haven't been watching as long as many of you, but I've never seen a two-day stretch with as many rikishi taking big falls and flying off the dohyo as days 7-8.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5Yd4YIxP0

Ura has such a goddamn weird style. I love it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hakuho-Tochinoshin just takes MOTN over Goeido-Tochiozan for me.

Hakuho better have a Grand Seiko watch to give to Shohozan as a gift, because that henka might just have saved the basho for him.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 19, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
One of these days Tochinoshin will finally defeat Hakuho. 0-23 isn't fairly representative, there have been a lot of close matches.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Really good sumo today. Great basho too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
That loving Henka pissed me off more than I expected it would.