Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Yes. Modern medicine is based on observation and experimentation, not divine intervention.

The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that ferments bread. So many things that are so small and so fast - you couldn't even be sure they happened at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that ferments bread. So many things that are so small and so fast - you couldn't even be sure they happened at all.
Sounds like you're a lovely baker.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Sounds like you're a lovely baker.

I'm trying to make an illustration to you about microbiology and the chemical/material miracle of life. But is it surprising to see God's message get such abuse directed at it these days? It's a fast, cheap, out of control world I suppose.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

The real issue is in yourself - do you want to live forever (either physically and or digitally) in this world, wielding power over others, pursuing a godhood of a sort - or will you accept that your body, spirit, and mind exist at the mercy of God?
The first one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

I'm trying to make an illustration to you about microbiology and the chemical/material miracle of life. But is it surprising to see God's message get such abuse directed at it these days? It's a fast, cheap, out of control world I suppose.

Okay, then explain to me how divine intervention made Pasteur discover fermentation.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur? The same chain of events leading to and stemming from the crucifixion of Christ, the prophecy of Muhammad, and much more.

The Belgian posted:

The first one.

Sure, that is your choice. But such a lesser, material god is still only as permanent as this universe. Humans have full dominion over the Earth now - this stewardship time, this test, is both the beginning and the end of an age.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur? The same chain of events leading to and stemming from the crucifixion of Christ, the prophecy of Muhammad, and much more.
So no matter what I'm asking about you're going to dodge the question?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

Sure, that is your choice. But such a lesser, material god is still only as permanent as this universe. Humans have full dominion over the Earth now - this stewardship time, this test, is both the beginning and the end of an age.

Universe is pretty permanent.

McDowell posted:

Yes but there's no necessary link between the two. There's a perfectly concievable world with Pasteurization but without the crucifiction and vice versa.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Conceivable != Actual

The Belgian posted:

Universe is pretty permanent.

To humans, sure - so is the sun and planet earth. Consider creationism, materialism, and emmanationism - what if, like the holy trinity, all three are 'true'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

I would say it is a 6 or 7.

Healing the sick is a good - no one asks to be brought into this world and no one should suffer excessively- especially now that humans have enormous powers to help one another in that manner. When he left earth Jesus declared that his disciples would 'take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.' This has caused some confusion over the past 2000 years but would the modern world (and modern medicine) exist as we know it without the God of Abraham? Maybe those who directly witnessed the resurrection were given a gift of 'psychic' powers over physiology and chemistry - but like other emanations over time it became diluted and now has a different form.

The real issue is in yourself - do you want to live forever (either physically and or digitally) in this world, wielding power over others, pursuing a godhood of a sort - or will you accept that your body, spirit, and mind exist at the mercy of God?

Absolutely 100% the former. I see no reason to accept that I should live at the mercy of anything, much less an unknowable entity.

And do you have any evidence that anyone was given a gift of "psychic" powers?

Edit:

McDowell posted:

We understand how yeast works very, very well and know for a fact when or when it does not work because we know what effects to be expected.

McDowell posted:

^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur?

A serious of mostly random events that had no direction behind them.

quote:

So?

McDowell posted:

Conceivable != Actual

To humans, sure - so is the sun and planet earth. Consider creationism, materialism, and emmanationism - what if, like the holy trinity, all three are 'true'.

If creationism is true then the creator is stupider than I am because his creations are absolute garbage that I could improve upon in countless ways without even trying.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 12, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God gives you free will to believe and worship what you like. I feel these free will and origin of evil problems can be answered to one's satisfaction if you look at what Do and his classroom had to say. But you have the ability to make up your mind - that is with you as long as you exist. Is it better to rule in hell or serve in heaven? A machine shop that makes tanks and guns can just as easily make tractors and washing machines.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

God gives you free will

Does he? How do you know this?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

God gives you free will to believe and worship what you like.

And as I've previous mentioned he also randomly takes it away.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

And as I've previous mentioned he also randomly takes it away.

That depends on your perspective and your understanding that you are not your vehicle. This planet at this time could be considered as a hell/prison/rehab center.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

That depends on your perspective and your understanding that you are not your vehicle. This planet at this time could be considered as a hell/prison/rehab center.

Why would such a thing be necessary?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Why would such a thing be necessary?

Because God made a universe that creates life with free will and the ability to oppose Him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Because God made a universe that creates life with free will and the ability to oppose Him.

How do you know this?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Eskaton posted:

Op, I know I'm pulling from way back here, but have you considered that Christianity is also a thing outside of the Bible? Or any religion with a holy book?

Yes? Obviously? That's why I said:

quote:

You can be a Christian who thinks homosexuality is permissible, but saying the Bible doesn't condemn it is just factually wrong.

in, you know, the post you quoted.

My point was not to say one can't be a Christian without being homophobic, simply that you can't honestly argue that the Bible offers anything but condemnation on the subject of homosexuality. Obviously you can be a Christian without strict adherence to the Bible - many people do. I will say that I can't understand how, though. If you don't trust the Bible to be uniquely reliable in its claims, I don't get how you can conclude that this particular God story is true out of all the God stories, which I imagine you would relegate to the category of "mythology".

The Kingfish posted:

This is the difference between Christianity and Islam.

Please.

McDowell posted:

Maybe those who directly witnessed the resurrection were given a gift of 'psychic' powers over physiology and chemistry

What in the gently caress are you saying? That the disciples invented penicillin?

BrandorKP posted:

Over a million on the high end 600,000 on the low end depending on the ancient source. Alternative ways of figuring it out range from a third to half of the estimated population, estimates that way range 350000 to 500000+. Then you know all the people turned into slaves, etc. It was pretty loving bad. Shitloads of crucifixions.

The stuff on the arch of Titus? That's why the gospels get written. They ended a nation and possibility of that nation as it was previously conceptualized of.

Yes that category of bad. That's context of the people writing down the gospels.

Are you arguing that because Christ died amidst (what you judge to be) a uniquely egregious circumstance of community-wide suffering, the Gospel accounts are trustworthy? Or that somehow we can glean from this the divinity of Jesus?

Also I really don't think the Roman subjugation of Judea is going to be the Holocaust in the degree of human suffering. Far more Jews died, over a shorter (and thus more concentrated) period of time, and being worked to death is most likely far worse than crucifixion. Unless you are willing to accept the Diary of Anne Frank as equally divine, I don't think this is a concrete argument.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

Isn't it exhausting to constantly having to make poo poo up in order to justify your faith?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Unless you are willing to accept the Diary of Anne Frank as equally divine, I don't think this is a concrete argument.

I am. The Bible can be considered as a 'history book'.

quote:

What in the gently caress are you saying? That the disciples invented penicillin?

No, I'm saying something special happened 2000 years ago that convinced lots of people and changed the course of history. The chain of events leading to this very moment should be all the proof you need. Lobbing insults at the creator and saying a human 'discovered' or 'invented' something in nature illuminates a certain arrogance.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Does that mean all of the bible is made of metaphors? Do we pick and choose?

Heck yeah they are. They're both my favorite since they're hilariously cold and hardcore. There's a ton of other great ones like:

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9)

the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.” And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him. (1 Kings 20:35-36)

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21)

It's all like a bloodthirsty episode of Seinfeld.

More game of thrones than seinfeld. Isaiah and Kings are good books, leviticus is pretty boring except the bits about demons.

To answer your questions, not everything in the bible is metaphorical - some of the people were real and some of the events definitely happened and a couple of the places still exist and so on - but it is a mythology, so it should be read in that vein, and not as court stenography or security cam footage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

No, I'm saying something special happened 2000 years ago that convinced lots of people and changed the course of history. The chain of events leading to this very moment should be all the proof you need. Lobbing insults at the creator and saying a human 'discovered' or 'invented' something in nature illuminates a certain arrogance.

Likewise saying humans can't do anything and giving all credit to God for what humans worked hard to achieve for themselves illuminates a distressing lack of worth placed on your fellow man.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

McDowell posted:

I want to save humanity from death by any means possible. I don't trust your method to work, although I acknowledge the noble sentiment behind it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Let go, Luke.

Who What Now posted:

Likewise saying humans can't do anything and giving all credit to God for what humans worked hard to achieve for themselves illuminates a distressing lack of worth placed on your fellow man.

I don't shy away from the label of misanthrope. If you don't have a disdain for the material world you really can't be a disciple of Christ. You also have to think about the difference between being 'mean spirited' and 'good natured'. I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence, life worked its way up from dust one way or the other.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

^ Let go, Luke.

I don't shy away from the label of misanthrope. If you don't have a disdain for the material world you really can't be a disciple of Christ. You also have to think about the difference between being 'mean spirited' and 'good natured'. I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence, life worked its way up from dust one way or the other.

Well, probably worked its way up from the thermal vents on the ocean floor, but tomato/tomahtoe.

But it makes me wonder why you believe in Free Will if you don't think mankind can be given credit for anything? Or why the material world is lesser than... whatever other thing you think exists. How can you be sure that the material world isn't the height of existence and the realm of God is a lesser one?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence

Why not? That isn't more improbable than being created by a divine being.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

McDowell posted:

The idea of humans being uploaded digitally is complete science fiction*. If it ever becomes possible, it won't be for a very, very long time.

More importantly - Are you just trying to say "I have faith that this is true" or do you believe that the things you're saying should be persuasive and help prove (or at least provide evidence of) your ideas for others? If the former that's totally fine, but if it's the latter you're failing pretty badly.

*To clarify, it's in the realm of things that has some chance of technically being possible (as opposed to, say, time travel), but it's so far off that it's not worth considering for anyone of our generation (or even our grandchildren's generation probably).

McDowell posted:

I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence, life worked its way up from dust one way or the other.

There are many things that spontaneously arise in the universe, and there's no reason life/humans can't be one of those things. The fact that we don't fully understand the mechanisms by which life first arose doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened (and from what I understand there are already a number of plausible ideas; it's just virtually impossible to prove due to the lack of evidence from that long ago).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 12, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Over a million on the high end 600,000 on the low end depending on the ancient source. Alternative ways of figuring it out range from a third to half of the estimated population, estimates that way range 350000 to 500000+. Then you know all the people turned into slaves, etc. It was pretty loving bad. Shitloads of crucifixions.

Where are you getting these estimates from? Are you saying it was worse than modern atrocities? Or comparable?

Black Bones posted:

- but it is a mythology, so it should be read in that vein, and not as court stenography or security cam footage.

Oh I agree for sure but it's still a funny in a dark humor kind of way. In GOT the general idea is that God doesn't give a poo poo and being smart and sneaky instead of just and righteous keeps you alive. Kind of like how things probably were back then and are now.

Most Christians believe in the LITERAL TRUTH or pick and choose passages to be true. Suddenly now gays are ok in the bible because if they aren't then Christianity becomes obsolete. Or how it's ok to setup a Starbucks and banks in churches because that story of a camel walking through an eye of a needle is just saying it's hard to get into heaven. Jesus was just kidding about moneylenders. Also rich people are closer to god instead of poor ones because they're rewarded by god for their success.

The whole thing is pretty funny to me. McDowell's comments are probably my favorite since there's a strong sense of scrambling and escapism behind his words.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 12, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Where are you getting these estimates from? Are you saying it was worse than modern atrocities? Or comparable?

Oh I agree for sure but it's still a funny in a dark humor kind of way. In GOT the general idea is that God doesn't give a poo poo and being smart and sneaky instead of just and righteous keeps you alive. Kind of like how things probably were back then and are now.

Most Christians believe in the LITERAL TRUTH or pick and choose passages to be true. Suddenly now gays are ok in the bible because if they aren't then Christianity becomes obsolete. Or how it's ok to setup a Starbucks and banks in churches because that story of a camel walking through an eye of a needle is just saying it's hard to get into heaven. Jesus was just kidding about moneylenders. Also rich people are closer to god instead of poor ones because they're rewarded by god for their success.

The whole thing is pretty funny to me. McDowell's comments are probably my favorite since there's a strong sense of scrambling and escapism behind his words.

I'm not scrambling for anything, the responses to what I am trying to tell you don't surprise me at all. You have the right idea about how all religions are less than truth because churches are constructs of the human world. I am trying to direct you to other stepping stones on the path of Truth- which is a living, changing thing.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

McDowell posted:

I am. The Bible can be considered as a 'history book'.

Well, yes, a flawed and heavily biased one. It can be useful in some respects in the study of history. I'll grant you that. Also that had nothing to do with what I was asking.

quote:

This is such a bizarre line of reasoning. I mean, technically you are right that the events of 2000 years ago caused the events of today, but only in the same sense that the events of a random day in August three years ago caused today. Does the fact that the presidential election in 2008 caused a specific person to be president today mean that the '08 election was some divine event?

And this can just as easily be done the other way around: events of 1000 years before the crucifixion lead up to it, so those events must be special?

I don't honestly know exactly where to begin responding to this. It comes across as a sideways version of that old "some of the smartest people/most influential artists in history were Christians" argument.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My point was not to say one can't be a Christian without being homophobic, simply that you can't honestly argue that the Bible offers anything but condemnation on the subject of homosexuality.

The "Disciple Jesus Loved" or the "Beloved Disciple" : Who is it? What is the nature of the relationship? How valid are the traditional explanations in light of what we know about how some groups heavily edited early scripture for their own political ends?

In other words it's a strong possibility that Jesus was always sneaking off to...

Be alone with Mary
Be alone with one of his male disciples

... in the uh, bibilical sense.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

The "Disciple Jesus Loved" or the "Beloved Disciple" : Who is it? What is the nature of the relationship? How valid are the traditional explanations in light of what we know about how some groups heavily edited early scripture for their own political ends?

In other words it's a strong possibility that Jesus was always sneaking off to...

Be alone with Mary
Be alone with one of his male disciples

... in the uh, bibilical sense.

Please. A fanfiction-level speculation that Jesus was gay with one of his disciples proves the Bible is pro-homosexuality?

Again:

you can't honestly argue that the Bible offers anything but condemnation on the subject of homosexuality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

I'm not scrambling for anything, the responses to what I am trying to tell you don't surprise me at all. You have the right idea about how all religions are less than truth because churches are constructs of the human world. I am trying to direct you to other stepping stones on the path of Truth- which is a living, changing thing.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain how you know, or at least why you believe, these things.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Holy Jesus, can we just come right out and say that McDowell isn't prepared to actually post in this thread? He's just spouting spiritual platitudes that don't mean anything. It's pretty obvious he's never taken a skeptical look at his own beliefs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dragonshirt posted:

Holy Jesus, can we just come right out and say that McDowell isn't prepared to actually post in this thread? He's just spouting spiritual platitudes that don't mean anything. It's pretty obvious he's never taken a skeptical look at his own beliefs.

I don't really see a point in doing that, no.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Who What Now posted:

I don't really see a point in doing that, no.

Ok, fine. Fish in a barrel and whatnot.

My god is the sun, and he has been very angry lately.

Probably mad about the Sanders endorsement.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Yes? Obviously? That's why I said:

in, you know, the post you quoted.

My point was not to say one can't be a Christian without being homophobic, simply that you can't honestly argue that the Bible offers anything but condemnation on the subject of homosexuality. Obviously you can be a Christian without strict adherence to the Bible - many people do. I will say that I can't understand how, though. If you don't trust the Bible to be uniquely reliable in its claims, I don't get how you can conclude that this particular God story is true out of all the God stories, which I imagine you would relegate to the category of "mythology".

Because religion isn't really a science, maybe..? There is no rigor required. You might want to take a look at a lot postmodern stuff.

You know Christian Atheism is a thing? Zizek has a good thing on it.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want to save humanity from death by any means possible. I don't trust your method to work, although I acknowledge the noble sentiment behind it.

Hi, Sobornost / Fedorovist buddy. :3: :hf: :cthulhu:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Please. A fanfiction-level speculation that Jesus was gay with one of his disciples proves the Bible is pro-homosexuality?

Been a thing in Christianity going way back. It's dependant on how one interprets John.

One can honestly make this argument and in the past it has been used to argue for "spiritual friendship" or "brother making" or "adelphopoiesis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If Jesus had been gay you'd think he could have spared a second to mention that it's not cool to attack, kill, or oppress homosexuals.

• Locked thread