Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

I love the look of convergence but I also want one of the new mk3 battlegroups, have they said if they're going to update all of them eventually or should I not bother waiting?

I haven't heard one way or another but I'm guessing they are not making a CoC starter set.

As far as I know they will get new releases but they won't catch up to the main factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

GoodBee posted:

I haven't heard one way or another but I'm guessing they are not making a CoC starter set.

As far as I know they will get new releases but they won't catch up to the main factions.

CoC will not be getting a mk3 battle box as of now. Also, they will get new releases but less often than the main factions. You're not guaranteed new toys every book like the rest are.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

CaptCommy posted:

CoC will not be getting a mk3 battle box as of now. Also, they will get new releases but less often than the main factions. You're not guaranteed new toys every book like the rest are.

Ah sad times, maybe I'll just get the khador one, there just such good value.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
As popular as CoC is I wish they'd just bite the bullet and make it a full faction.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

fnordcircle posted:

As popular as CoC is I wish they'd just bite the bullet and make it a full faction.

I kind of feel the opposite. I think it would be neat if they made more mini-factions.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

GoodBee posted:

I kind of feel the opposite. I think it would be neat if they made more mini-factions.

It's more to do with the number of people who get bummed out when a new book comes out sans new stuff for CoC. We had a guy rage quit over it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I have zero pity for people that get mad about Convergence not getting new stuff at the same rate as the full factions. It's not like it's a secret, and people who lie to themselves and think PP are gonna release stuff with every book have nobody to blame for their disappointment but themselves.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

fnordcircle posted:

It's more to do with the number of people who get bummed out when a new book comes out sans new stuff for CoC. We had a guy rage quit over it.

Faction identity is completely a thing, and people will definitely start to get grumpy about a stagnant faction while other armies are getting toys. I know I basically quit 40k when that faction alliance grid thing was unveiled and I was the guy with Tyranids and Dark Eldar.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
That may be true, but its also been something that PP has been upfront about CoC since the beginning about, and I also think releasing more standalone factions would be interesting than the forever creep of the main 9 + mercs and minions, especially if the upcoming faction is added onto that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kithkar posted:

That may be true, but its also been something that PP has been upfront about CoC since the beginning about, and I also think releasing more standalone factions would be interesting than the forever creep of the main 9 + mercs and minions, especially if the upcoming faction is added onto that.

I'd be curious to see if the reason that they haven't really pushed out more CoC is because of that original plan, or because the guy that was the driving force behind their look was moved to a different role in the company. We'll probably know when that scarecrow army becomes a real thing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Speaking of books and new things, was any kind of ETA given for MKIII faction books and themes? It's fun spitballing new lists using just the cards but I'm really curious to see the specific themes Mercenaries have gotten in place of contracts, alongside other themes for every faction in general too.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

theironjef posted:

I'd be curious to see if the reason that they haven't really pushed out more CoC is because of that original plan, or because the guy that was the driving force behind their look was moved to a different role in the company. We'll probably know when that scarecrow army becomes a real thing.

Because it's niche, by design it doesn't scale well with additional casters/jacks, and would be additional burden on further books. I think this is one of the ideas behind the new theme books, they want to move toward a system similar to infinity where there are subfactions. That way they don't have to commit to additional niche releases, and the good subfaction models that aren't restricted can still appeal to the parent faction players.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not Warmahordes related directly, but they're popular with wargaming so I figure I'd ask;

Where's a good place to buy those glass beads from? They're almost all out of stock on discount games / the war store / miniature market. Most of what's on Amazon is just 'addon items' which require a $25+ purchase...

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

DC also has left PP entirely, so CoC players hoping for more releases are probably going to be really sad in the long run.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
'Glass gem' is the term to look for - garden centres often have them in big cheap sacks, also florists use them.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/decorative-glass-gems
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-clear-glass-cabochons.html

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CoC being a limited list was something I counted in their favor when I decided to pick a bunch up. The idea of a "complete" faction isn't repellant to everyone.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Not Warmahordes related directly, but they're popular with wargaming so I figure I'd ask;

Where's a good place to buy those glass beads from? They're almost all out of stock on discount games / the war store / miniature market. Most of what's on Amazon is just 'addon items' which require a $25+ purchase...

Any big box store, michaels, or hobby lobby will have them in the home decor section somewhere.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so how are the new theme books going to work, the NQ article wasn't parsing right in my brain for some reason

like, are tehy going to be actual book releases or what

i guess they said they'd make an announcement shortly after Mk3 dropped adn the new no quarter is in two weeks so

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The thing with CoC is that 1) they are super loving cool and 2) there is a lot of potential for a very small number of releases to totally shake up the faction based on how they work, so we really should be getting more.

There's also a lot of design space and I think it does scale quite well, since new jacks are limited by the casters' stats. It's not like some ultra ranged jack can show up and shore up Axis's shooting game.

Anyways I'd love some more Convergence stuff. I am not very positive about it though, with the departure of DC. In general I think that was not a good thing for the company since he was by far their most competent designer (and way better than Soles).

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I think it's reasonable to say you can't blame PP for doing exactly what they said they do.

I think it's also reasonable for a player to be sad that his faction doesn't get 1 new thing when every other faction gets 4-6 new things.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Really, I wish they'd get around to giving the CoC players at least a new warcaster. Between the new bent a warcaster usually brings, and the CoC thing with MAT/RAT inheriting, just that could shake up the faction decently.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Really, I wish they'd get around to giving the CoC players at least a new warcaster. Between the new bent a warcaster usually brings, and the CoC thing with MAT/RAT inheriting, just that could shake up the faction decently.

I feel like the perfect opportunity is on them right now. The battleboxes of this edition are all "a new caster and a new collection of old jacks" and so their investment would be fairly small. A new ranged caster (maybe that walking planetarium guy from the card game) with two of those hover heavies and a repair jack would be amazing. Just put it in Battlebox wave two with the minions and the dwarves and so on.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Before mk3, I saw a lot more Coc than Ret. I think it's popular enough to justify at least a model or two per book (4+ for others. I don't mind limited release, but it's been beyond dead.

Also CoC has amazing theming and art design and I love it. The pumpkinhead Nightmare Before Malifaux faction has a lot to prove.

Edit: I want a CoC journeyman caster. It mucks up induction but a rat 6 Jr. could shake them up significantly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sab669 posted:

My local dollar tree sells them in 5 or 6 different colors. One of the local shops buys them there and repacks them to sell to MtG players at something like a 400% markup.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PaintVagrant posted:

:frogsiren: I am selling a pretty complete Legion army at a reasonable price with a bag:frogsiren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782618

Threw it up on ebay, so you can get it even cheaper :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201620965550?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

so how are the new theme books going to work, the NQ article wasn't parsing right in my brain for some reason

like, are tehy going to be actual book releases or what

i guess they said they'd make an announcement shortly after Mk3 dropped adn the new no quarter is in two weeks so

The theme forces are going to be actual book releases. They haven't really been fully upfront about it yet, especially when lock and load was the perfect place to do it, but I suspect the theme force books are gonna replace the anthology books as the main method of delivering new models. They're going to contain entries for all the existing models that will work for that theme, as well as brand new ones. the new ones may or may not be exclusive to the theme, they were kind of unclear. Thinking of them as subfractions wouldn't be off the mark, going for a more wider view of the game rather than just pumping out standard fare stuff forever.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kithkar posted:

The theme forces are going to be actual book releases. They haven't really been fully upfront about it yet, especially when lock and load was the perfect place to do it, but I suspect the theme force books are gonna replace the anthology books as the main method of delivering new models. They're going to contain entries for all the existing models that will work for that theme, as well as brand new ones. the new ones may or may not be exclusive to the theme, they were kind of unclear. Thinking of them as subfractions wouldn't be off the mark, going for a more wider view of the game rather than just pumping out standard fare stuff forever.

I get the impression that they're being vague about what's going on with the new book releases because a) it isn't 100% set in stone, and b) any kind of change is going to be seen as becoming GW/selling out. I think moving towards theme releases is a good thing, if only because it allows you to build out the 5-8 new options to make a more themed list all at once, instead of waiting for the next few yearly books to flush everything out. It would also be nice to just have to buy the books for the faction stuff I'm interested in, though I suspect lots of people aren't buying any books at all and are just buying the models and cards.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did finally get seriously challenged in a battlebox game against Cygnar. Though Maddox didn't get a chance to disrupt a jack, (they were in melee by the time she was in range) a dumb mistake on my part let her last remaining jack and Maddox both get boosted shots on Helynna, who was camping zero focus. End result was getting her down to one box before the last jack was destroyed the next round. Main lesson is at least pop feat when you get over extended, since the +3 ARM would have had me end with 7 boxes instead of getting almost killed on a dice spike. Or just have a camp and effectively get 5 more boxes against the spike attack.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My pet theory is that Theme Lists are going to be ad hoc balance tweaks. Like when we hit November and nobody is playing something, it'll get a theme list.

Which explains why they're not discussing them - it would acknowledge problems, and that's not something PP is great at.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

My pet theory is that Theme Lists are going to be ad hoc balance tweaks. Like when we hit November and nobody is playing something, it'll get a theme list.

Which explains why they're not discussing them - it would acknowledge problems, and that's not something PP is great at.

The books take longer than a month to get spun up and printed, and it's even longer if you include new models in the release. The theme and forces books were probably getting finalized around the time MKIII was released.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A book for each system that was theme lists centered around a particular mechanical/thematic Thing that came out like two or three times a year would be pretty cool

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Literally The Worst posted:

A book for each system that was theme lists centered around a particular mechanical/thematic Thing that came out like two or three times a year would be pretty cool

Isn't that what's being done, only on a per faction level instead of per system level? That's a pure advantage, since you only have to buy the stuff for your faction instead of the stuff for every other faction. I'll admit I'm a bit spoiled since I got full warroom, so I plan on buying zero books and still getting full rules support for everything.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

From the sound of it, it's a book per faction theme basically. The example they gave was Forces of Cygnar: Storm Brigade and Forces of Cygnar: Trenchers.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rantmo posted:

From the sound of it, it's a book per faction theme basically. The example they gave was Forces of Cygnar: Storm Brigade and Forces of Cygnar: Trenchers.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I'd rather that then something like 40K where I have to get a conflict book where most of the stuff doesn't apply to my army. It's why I'd be way happier with Force or Theme books, so long as there's an even release of them (i.e. every faction gets 1/year, minus CoC of course)

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So, there is a battle box tournament today to kick off our local journeymen league. I wanted to do gators, but no one has a bull snapper that I could get in time so the owner is gonna let me use his Xekaar since i preordered the 2P battle box.

I haven't played with Xekaar or given him much thought since I wasnt expecting to do anything with him until late August. What are your tips on using him?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

My only question about themes as a merc/minion player is how they are going to do more for minions. Mercs have a bit of variety (even if you discount cephalyx since they already have one / they are kind of a mini-faction) since you have highborn covenant/laellese resistance, four star syndicate, privateers, dwarfs and perhaps another for steelheads? While minions just have....pigs or gators. I don't know if there are enough things in pigs or gators for multiple themes, given their smaller numbers of models, but of course I don't know how large they plan on making each theme.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captainicus posted:

My only question about themes as a merc/minion player is how they are going to do more for minions. Mercs have a bit of variety (even if you discount cephalyx since they already have one / they are kind of a mini-faction) since you have highborn covenant/laellese resistance, four star syndicate, privateers, dwarfs and perhaps another for steelheads? While minions just have....pigs or gators. I don't know if there are enough things in pigs or gators for multiple themes, given their smaller numbers of models, but of course I don't know how large they plan on making each theme.

Mercs have at least one other theme (Kingmaker, which is sort of an expansion of the old Bad Seeds Magnus theme) and I'm not expert on them. Minions only really has two themes right now because its current model release is more limited. I'd almost expect either an expansion of Pigs & Gators to allow more subfactioning. It took Mercs some time before they were anything more 4 Starish guys and Rhulic. Pirates took until their MKI Forces book in 2007, and Cephalyx weren't anything until last year. Minions might get a creeping expansion like this soon, but I'd also think that maybe they'll just stay Pigs + Gators while making them more fleshed out.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Jason Soles is currently doing an AMA about his career in games and as a sculptor. He's not taking specific rules questions but anything else is up for discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4siauy/iama_jason_soles_lead_developer_of_warmachine/

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

what's with that hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KuangMkV posted:

Jason Soles is currently doing an AMA about his career in games and as a sculptor. He's not taking specific rules questions but anything else is up for discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4siauy/iama_jason_soles_lead_developer_of_warmachine/

And most of the questions are standard "When did you stop hitting your wife" internet gamer fare. Given the fanbase out there, I'm never sure why people bother to do AMAs for nerd stuff.