Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

WebDog posted:

Voyager is fascinating as it suffers from being at a time when everything was peak Trek. It's oddness makes some sense when you look at it as a mass production product that's popular across the globe.

So to break away from the odd man out, which was DS9, you have to go back to basics (final frontier) but with none of that really being new you aim for the lowest common denominator.

So you have a show that's cozy and family friendly and has plots that can be translated across languages and cultures.Any real continuity of characters kind of dies as they get locked into their ranks and roles to be wheeled in and out depending on the situation. As a result nearly all of the characters exist in seven years of existential hell at the command of a Captain who is meant to be a voice of stability and reason but comes off as unhinged as the part is written with one note as the poor actress struggles to play it with chords.

Which is why the comedic characters like the Doctor tend to draw the crowd as they function as a giant wink to the audience at the growing absurdity of the situation as Voyager slowly becomes a family camper van in space.

Of course such an interesting setup of having a lost ship goes to hell as any continuity has to be thrown out to accommodate the fact you're having a series that may or may not get aired in the correct order or potentially skip whole seasons on a regular basis, as it was the case in Australia where Trek was shoved to 11pm timeslots and would blink in an out of existence. In small doses the show worked.

Which is likely why any episodes that involve the ship being destroyed are potentially the best as there's something actually at stake beyond an alien annoyance/hallucination/holodeck malfunction of the week neatly tied up in thirty minutes.

It's no surprise Ron D Moore eventually quit out of frustration as Voyager magically replaced shuttles and torpedoes and the tension of being lost in space evaporate as it turned into a low-rent version of TNG.

Seven of Nine had nice boobs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Now through 1:12 "Heroes and Demons," which I liked, probably because of Picardo, who I hope gets a lot of screen time in this series. I actually liked most of the TNG "oops holodeck" episodes, so I may be in the minority.

At this point, I kind of wish they were in more dire straits. Being stranded far away from home is fine, but they could really ramp the drama up if the ship was more badly hosed up. The only real sacrifice they have to make is that they have to grow their own vegetables. I sort of thought that's what they were going to do after I watched 1:1, but I guess not.

Also: I don't think I was clear enough about this after watching 1:10 "Prime Factors," but Janeway is a loving idiot so far and routinely screws over her crew. This is no longer a normal Starfleet mission, this is a salvage operation, and getting home ASAP should be priority one.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep, and all the new companions are from contemporary London. You can't even claim it's a budget thing, the old show went all over the loving place on a shoestring budget and bubblewrap monsters. It's a lack of imagination, pure and simple.

so this is from last month but you're gonna get huge lols from this

i keep seeing fuckin' articles online about how "MATT SMITH STILL WANTS TO PLAY DOCTOR WHO" and people trying to push the idea that he could be ~the first doctor to return to the role~

talk about your total failure of imagination right there. like goddamn i'm surprised there's not a loving change.org petition demanding "WELL IF MATT CAN COME BACK WE WANT DAVID TENNANT TO BE THE DOCTOR FOREVER"

i've thought for a long time that what would own would be a year or two of having a different actor playing the doctor in every episode. no explanations, no bullshit technobabble, and to make the turbo-continuity-assholes extra frustrated we even change actors during the two-parters. get some rad people in there who wouldn't be willing to commit to a whole series but might have fun with it for an episode. imagine getting like dame judy dench or james earl jones being the doctor.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
a whole lotta words about dr who... in the star trek : voyager thread

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Janeway is the worst captain because all she had to do to get her crew home was let Q put a bun in her oven

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lincoln posted:

Watching-Voyager-for-the-first-time thoughts

Should I be posting this stuff in the Star Trek thread?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so this is from last month but you're gonna get huge lols from this

i keep seeing fuckin' articles online about how "MATT SMITH STILL WANTS TO PLAY DOCTOR WHO" and people trying to push the idea that he could be ~the first doctor to return to the role~

talk about your total failure of imagination right there. like goddamn i'm surprised there's not a loving change.org petition demanding "WELL IF MATT CAN COME BACK WE WANT DAVID TENNANT TO BE THE DOCTOR FOREVER"

i've thought for a long time that what would own would be a year or two of having a different actor playing the doctor in every episode. no explanations, no bullshit technobabble, and to make the turbo-continuity-assholes extra frustrated we even change actors during the two-parters. get some rad people in there who wouldn't be willing to commit to a whole series but might have fun with it for an episode. imagine getting like dame judy dench or james earl jones being the doctor.

I thought Tom Baker was the first to return.

Or whoever the Curator was who basically only idiots and AV Club reviewers didn't get was the Doctor after he's 'retired'.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Totally unrelated to my previous post -- I just got home after a round of golf, and Encounter at Farpoint is on BBC America. I think this may be the most Star Treky-episode of Star Trek ever. This post may belong in the other thread.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think Dr. Who fuckin' sucks. I'd rather watch Voyager and Enterprise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought Tom Baker was the first to return.

Or whoever the Curator was who basically only idiots and AV Club reviewers didn't get was the Doctor after he's 'retired'.

there's been reunion special episodes for ages, but they're talking about permanent re-casting - as in bringing him back for another few years

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
dr who is dumb please stop talking about it in the thread for another dumb show

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I watched the episode where Neelix learns there's no heaven or whatever and I had forgotten completely about Chakotay's bullshit vision quest machine

Akochimoya

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Noctone posted:

Janeway is the worst captain because all she had to do to get her crew home was let Q put a bun in her oven

How many crew members died because she was too much a of a prude?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Noctone posted:

dr who is dumb please stop talking about it in the thread for another dumb show

sorry man here let me do you a solid and answer a prior post:

Noctone posted:

the one burning question i have above all others is who wipes down the loads in the holodeck

or are they just converted into energy

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Noctone posted:

She had a chance before that when all she had to do was let the Continuum put Quinn back into his prison. But endangering the lives of everyone on the ship was totally worth it so she could interfere with stuff that was none of her business.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They need some sort of prime directive about not just messing with pre-warp species but also "post-warp" species like the Q, poo poo that's so far above them that meddling could be an existential threat and we're clearly too primitive to understand any of it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Baronjutter posted:

They need some sort of prime directive about not just messing with pre-warp species but also "post-warp" species like the Q, poo poo that's so far above them that meddling could be an existential threat and we're clearly too primitive to understand any of it.

Hard to enforce because sometimes they'll just show up as your ship's bartender.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i also like that when they discover that someone out there is extremely wrecking the borg's poo poo they're like "hmm let's stare into the abyss and see what stares back" instead of popping a wheelie and zooming through borg space while broadcasting "lol good luck with that idiots" on all subspace channels

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sorry man here let me do you a solid and answer a prior post:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

you are forgiven

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those fluidic space aliens were kinda cool but then they turned them into dumb shape shifters that just needed to better understand humanity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Those fluidic space aliens were kinda cool but then they turned them into dumb shape shifters that just needed to better understand humanity.

Hmm can't believe that Voyager had an interesting premise for something and then didn't go anywhere cool with it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Dr. Who fuckin' sucks. I'd rather watch Voyager and Enterprise

A highly correct opinion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm can't believe that Voyager had an interesting premise for something and then didn't go anywhere cool with it.

They really changed their personalities too. At the start they were this xenophobic existential threat to the galaxy and they only communicated by saying the weak would perish. They seemed like this tyranid-like bio-swarm that could not be reasoned with, a force so powerful and alien an alliance with the borg seemed reasonable.

Then suddenly all you needed was a heart to heart with them to prove humans are ok and the federation are nice guys and both sides shake hands and leave as friends.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, when they first showed up it was neat for once that Star Trek featured an alien species that was actually "alien" and not just another bunch of humanoids that conveniently spoke english.

It reminded me of in Decent Freespace where you spend like half the game in a space war against the Shivans without ever knowing anything about them. When the humans finally disable a ship and send in an assault team to make first contact, they get absolutely hosed by a race of giant tri-armed monstrosities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcWhhsRGsAI

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
In the Alpha quadrant, Janeway was just the captain of a ship and subject to the upper echelons of Starfleet command. In the Delta quadrant, Janeway was the captain of a ship and was master and commander of her crew. Everything she did throughout the series was done to maintain her position as supreme authority in her world.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

They could've mutinied and Starfleet would've never been the wiser.

Come to think of it, like GoT or BSG, have major characters die and pick up new ones on the way would've been excellent. Janeway dying mid way through the second season should've been the way to go.

Has anyone made a tally of all the wasted ideas?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Hi thread. I hadn't watched Voyager in a good ten-plus years, but after reading every last page here I decided to go back to that train wreck and give it a shot. Watched The Year of Hell and actually enjoyed it. Classic Voyager in that Janeway just goes totally crazy ("Time's ... Up!!) after a series of terrible decisions; the plot has a nice setup but then kind of peters out; oh, and Chakotay is apparently totally cool being buddies with the perpetrator of god knows how many genocides over his 200-year reign; and then we just hit the reset button. So, um, good stuff but in that very Voyager way. That's my story, God bless.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Velisarius posted:

'You're beautiful when you're scanning.'

Anyone want to take bets on which cretin said this and in which episode?

Just to end the thrilling mystery about who spouted this rubbish, it was Harry Kim, in the episode in which he is reprimanded for loving an attractive woman. The conversation between Chakotay and Janeway really highlights her madness, belief in what she's doing, and her desire for convenient dominion.

Also, she looks crazier when she stares out her windows when she's talking to someone. I suppose they were trying to make the moment more powerful or some poo poo. Time for the next episode.

Edit: Even as a dying clone whose only option is to return to a Demon-class planet, Janeway opts to do the complete opposite.

Velisarius fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 12, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Automatic Slim posted:

Come to think of it, like GoT or BSG, have major characters die and pick up new ones on the way would've been excellent. Janeway dying mid way through the second season should've been the way to go.

They kind of did that though, at least once. Kes didn't exactly die, but eh, close enough. And in an astonishing coincidence, this happened at almost exactly the same time they picked up Seven.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Automatic Slim posted:

Has anyone made a tally of all the wasted ideas?

- the premise
- the characters

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Imperfection: Season 7:2

7/9 needs a Maguffin transplant. Lots of scenes of "tense" surgery seems. Paris is the ships assistant medical tech but it makes you wonder why the Doctor's holo emitter can't project more copies of himself to perform multiple tasks.

Of course Janeway recklessly endangers her crew to get the parts she needs to achieve her goals save crew member.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Automatic Slim posted:

Imperfection: Season 7:2

7/9 needs a Maguffin transplant. Lots of scenes of "tense" surgery seems. Paris is the ships assistant medical tech but it makes you wonder why the Doctor's holo emitter can't project more copies of himself to perform multiple tasks.

Of course Janeway recklessly endangers her crew to get the parts she needs to achieve her goals save crew member.

For that matter, why not perform all surgery in a holodeck? There'd be nothing in there that shouldn't be, you could create copies of the greatest surgeons who ever lived, zero risk of infection, no chance of surgical equipment getting left in the patient (even if you left a scalpel in them, it would disappear when they left the holodeck). For that matter they could create copies of the greatest Starfleet officers to get them home instead of relying on Janeway and Chakotay. I think I've just created another better idea for Voyager.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If you're going to go that far, you may as well have every room be a holodeck. It's been shown that it's not an issue to patch holographic terminals into the ship's controls, and you could be in your quarters but also be on duty by having the computer simulate the rest of the bridge crew in real time around you, and you in real time around them.

It'd be a goon dream job, because no one would have to leave the quarters for any reason, and your quarters could have any luxury/appearance you please.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I think then you run into the problem that it's not relatable enough - which is often why the technology on Trek is never taken to its logical conclusion.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Apollodorus posted:

I think then you run into the problem that it's not relatable enough - which is often why the technology on Trek is never taken to its logical conclusion.

Right, like how they never had Janeway dyke out with 7 of 9.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

criscodisco posted:

Right, like how they never had Janeway dyke out with 7 of 9.

Yeah but in that case I think what would have happened is Mulgrew would have killed Ryan in her trailer and buried the body in the desert rather than do that storyline.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Except they do the whole "Oh hey I need helper. Computer: generate the universe's best expert in this field to help me" and bam, there he is after Kim spending like 10 min tuning him up. The doctor could easily have a few nurses and assistants on file.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's not a storyline it's real.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Everything Trek is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I saw a warp bubble once in the back of a van.