Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bike lanes are good and sometimes roundabouts are good but they mess them up in the US a lot of the time and also US drivers are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the most infuriating thing i ever saw was when my college installed a roundabout and slapped up stop signs at each approach

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my favorite american roundabouts are the ones in residential neighborhoods, where they just plopped down a circle of concrete into an existing intersection and called 'er good

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the most infuriating thing i ever saw was when my college installed a roundabout and slapped up stop signs at each approach

yeah they are used to calm (slow) traffic in the US more than as actual useful intersections. so you get stuff like this where the point is just to be as bad as possible.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my favorite american roundabouts are the ones in residential neighborhoods, where they just plopped down a circle of concrete into an existing intersection and called 'er good

we have a bunch of those in old Chicago neighborhoods, they're more for traffic calming on narrow pedestrian-infested streets than for efficiently routing traffic

I imagine they're probably as effective if not more so than a speed hump

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's exactly what these are. Some of them are pretty nice: they dig up the pavement inside it, install a circular curb of equal height to the surrounding sidewalk curbs, and plant some bushes and stuff in the middle. But there are a few that are exactly like I said before, a sad little circle-ish disk of concrete that's just a couple inches tall. They make me think of those awards somebody made that all said "you tried" in comic sans.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I sent an email to the city engineer about lights and traffic and stuff. I'm hoping they can fix the lights on this one stretch that's supposed to by a bypass so it will actually be used as a bypass instead of a parking lot for one half.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a train crashed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
2 trains. they crashed in2 each other

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

wicked

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaggar posted:

I sent an email to the city engineer about lights and traffic and stuff. I'm hoping they can fix the lights on this one stretch that's supposed to by a bypass so it will actually be used as a bypass instead of a parking lot for one half.
source your comedy quotes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shaggar posted:

was there telescoping?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

was there telescoping?

:eyepop: ??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

a train crashed

I was about to say bruh there's just electrical trouble on the green line but then I looked and :rip:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

something something we wont have gps-based ATC for airplanes until 2133

airplanes are teensy bit more complex problem space

ptc for trains is a well understood technology that we're just too cheap to do right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

was there telescoping?

they obliterated each other because of flimsy euro train standards

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

was there telescoping?

not so much telescoping as powdering

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how do you even get 2 trains on the same track going towards each other?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shaggar posted:

Union-mandated signal operator siesta

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

single tracked lines have pocket tracks at various intervals where one train chills while the other passes

if someone/something fucks up, this happens

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

very carefully

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

infernal machines posted:

not very carefully

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

very carelessly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

at the date posted:

not so much telescoping as powdering

railcars built to the us standards would still mostly be intact, no?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Mr. Nice! posted:

railcars built to the us standards would still mostly be intact? no!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

michigan seems to be going for roundabouts in a big way, and they helpfully put signs up to show what lane you're supposed to be in for what direction you want

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

railcars built to the us standards would still mostly be intact, no?

They would be in the factories being rebuilt again, and all the passengers would be dying in roads instead

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress this gay earth https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/07/13/city-council-debates-scarborough-subway-extension.html

quote:

City council has endorsed moving ahead with a one-stop subway extension in Scarborough, rejecting a push to revive a seven-stop LRT as part of a light-rail network that could serve more residents for less money.

The vote Wednesday was a conclusive win for Mayor John Tory, who has adamantly backed the need for subway connection to the Scarborough Town Centre he promised to build during the election. It also effectively killed the original seven-stop LRT that would have been fully funded by the province.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just before World War 1 Milwaukee was starting to build a subway although it never resumed after the war. A small amount of track was laid along with maybe one or two stations. It was all filled in late in the 90s (?) during freeway construction.

:sigh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hey guys, we lose $10 per passenger on this useless subway in the rear end-end of nowhere, let's see if we can top that by digging a six kilometer hole to a mall in the suburbs!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol ontario must be getting really pissed with this poo poo. first all the crap with the ambassador bridge and now this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Red Square Bear posted:

Just before World War 1 Milwaukee was starting to build a subway although it never resumed after the war. A small amount of track was laid along with maybe one or two stations. It was all filled in late in the 90s (?) during freeway construction.

:sigh:

rochester is the only city in the world to have once, but no longer, have a running subway system

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

rochester is the only city in the world to have once, but no longer, have a running subway system

Oh, it never got anywhere near the point of rolling stock. They started building a line and maybe made a platform or two. It was apparently a popular spelunk before it got filled in.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

[ask] me about how much bombardier loving sucks

[SCREAMS INFINITELY]

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

i've yet to catch a new car on the 514 route, but by itself it's made getting around the college st construction good

It's totally destroyed the 72 Pape bus though, I've had to walk from my gym at Lakeshore and Carlaw up to Gerrard ~11 times in the past 2 weeks because the 72 is alwasy 14+ minutes away, LOL!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/neville_park/status/753304007465168896

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jpags/status/753583940473085952

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does he have 10 wives or something? Metro pass is like $130/mo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

$141.50

or $124.50 if you're VIP like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Does he have 10 wives or something? Metro pass is like $130/mo?

woosh

• Locked thread