Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

I think the opposition to TPP is questionable, but on the rest of this stuff I don't think it's been a cynical shift. It's what we want to happen in primary elections! A challenger demonstrates there's a lot of support for certain policy ideas and the other politicians adapt their plans to those new policies in a way they think will work.

That's a reasonable view and one I am willing to go along with, so my apologies for being shields up instantly.

I think TPP is totally valid, but as I said yesterday, I think most politicians are completely cynical on trade agreements when they're running for office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This endorsement is good... for Trump!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, state grants and scholarships can drastically reduce the cost of tuition in a lot of places but few of them cover fees and books (books are and have always been criminally expensive across pretty much all majors).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teen witch posted:

As a mixed race woman and a tremendous Alton Brown fan, the past couple of weeks have been incredibly off putting, to say the least.

If I may, a question, in good faith, sincerity and sheer curiosity, to the white folks in the thread (so like 90% of you). How did you all become illuminated towards the less than stellar treatment of people of color in modern times? Like I've seen a few people mentioning being FYGM type people when they were younger and then something happened (read an article, started interacting with people of color, went to college, etc) and suddenly they realize "Oh wow this is hosed up!". I've always wondered how some white people came to be this way, and I figured it fits with the threads's current mood.
I've slowly gained self awareness over the years mainly because I still live in my hometown and have seen people I considered role models, mentors, and family friends turn out to be racist hateful people and then all the jokes directed at my dad for being in a union made sense. For example, my dad's best friend thinks all the problems with race in America could have been solved if "We picked our own cotton and left the Africans in Africa to kill each other" funnily enough he refused to believe my mom when she told him how racist America was towards the Irish.

I've also realized how privledged I really am because even though I live in the "bad" (ie a good amount of black people live in my neighborhood) part of my old suburban town, my dad still made enough money from working as an union insulator that he was able to pay for three kids through Catholic K-8th grade school, never have lean months where I didn't get the Christmas presents I wanted, paid for my student loans (and my sisters) and for me to live out in UT for 3 months with the Americorps without me ever having a full time job till February of this year (it was getting bad enough that he wanted me to join the Union though).

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's a reasonable view and one I am willing to go along with, so my apologies for being shields up instantly.

I think TPP is totally valid, but as I said yesterday, I think most politicians are completely cynical on trade agreements when they're running for office.

Opposition to TPP seems to be more of a proxy position on "Is Globalism good" much in the same way Keystone XL just stood in for "energy policy" as a whole rather than specific grievances with the measure/projects themselves.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
My least favorite part about taking summer classes is that the fees cost way more than the 6 credit hours I'm taking do.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Opposition to TPP seems to be more of a proxy position on "Is Globalism good" much in the same way Keystone XL just stood in for "energy policy" as a whole rather than specific grievances with the measure/projects themselves.

Right, I think that position is cynical as hell.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

fishmech posted:

Er, that was Bernie's plan, to just have free tuition and not touch the other stuff. The plans Hillary was putting out were to drastically cut the combined total of tuition and all the other fees and costs you have to pay (lab fees, facilities fees, books, and so on), which is a lot more relevant given the heights the attached fees and costs have risen to for many public colleges and universities, where in some states they flat out are more money than the tuition.

that's not the viewpoint i got about Hillary's plan from the professors i know, although it's certainly possible they misunderstood it. If I mischaracterized it, apologies

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

emdash posted:

that's not the viewpoint i got about Hillary's plan from the professors i know, although it's certainly possible they misunderstood it. If I mischaracterized it, apologies

To be perfectly honest, college professors -- unless affordability is their area of research -- are some of the worst people to ask about higher education policy.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How was that endorsement tepid?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because the immediate response from people is that SHE'S JUST DOING IT TO WIN VOTES AND DOESN'T BELIEVE IT, which is totally unfair.

well, it's not unfair. Bill Clinton famously won an election through tactical ideological changes to win votes (triangulation, Third Way, 'Sista Souljah').

otoh, the Clintons largely followed through on their election promises.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Are you questioning the political savvy of a Trumpeter?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You're questioning that a Bernout is mostly disengaged with reality?

Edit: oh hat lol change that to "Trumpist is fully disengaged"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, state grants and scholarships can drastically reduce the cost of tuition in a lot of places but few of them cover fees and books (books are and have always been criminally expensive across pretty much all majors).

An example of how bad fees can be even in a state that's not high in costs: the fees you pay alone to attend Virginia Tech can easily reach to $6000 per semester if you have to live on campus (which you usually need to as a freshman) and are in certain popular majors at the school, or $12,000 a standard two-semester year.

Meanwhile the in-state tuition for a full class load, 12 credits, is $5,393.50. And we haven't even counted the cost of books! So right there costs beyond tuition can already be more than the entire tuition cost.

emdash posted:

Her preferred way of talking about it was that a student should be able to afford to go to college on a 10 hour a week job, which is a very small amount of money, and means that everything's costs have to be very cheap for a full year of school. Incidentally, 10 hours a week is what the standard Federal Work-Study program has you work.

Even if we're really generous with the pay at said hypothetical 10 hour a week job, like say it was $15 an hour - that only earns you $7800 a year max. So to have college cost less than that for a whole year is a severe reduction in all the costs to the student. Compare that to the cost of a single semester at a given public college that I outlined above! And if we're talking more realistic wages for the near future, it's even less money.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh holy crap, the HA Goodman fountain springs anew

https://twitter.com/HAGOODMANAUTHOR/status/752894378494918657

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Hillary's plan (which she's had for at least 2 weeks) is if you have under 125K household income you go to public uni for free. Which is a damned nice compromise (and takes a HUGE loving load off my mind for my two kids if it comes true).

I liked Bernie, he was my first choice, but abuela is winning me over a bit. Not that she was ever in jeopardy, because gdamn, Trump?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

For example, my dad's best friend thinks all the problems with race in America could have been solved if "We picked our own cotton and left the Africans in Africa to kill each other" funnily enough he refused to believe my mom when she told him how racist America was towards the Irish.

Swapping race conflicts for class conflicts is really more of a lateral move.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be perfectly honest, college professors -- unless affordability is their area of research -- are some of the worst people to ask about higher education policy.

Yeah, we are bad at big-picture policy. Kind of like not being able to see the forest because your forehead is glued to a tree stump.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I think someone tagging Mark Halperin with a avatar referencing this might not be serious!!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think it's problematic that Clinton accepted the endorsement of a racist, sexist old white man.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Man she is really moving to the left in this speech

Can't wait for all of Prez Clinton's achievements to all be written off as "well, Sanders pushed her to the left!!"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
NYT is reporting that the Clinton camp is VP vetting retired Navy Admiral James Starvidis. Four star general who served as NATO's 16th Supreme Allied Commander Europe and the 15th Commander of US European Command.

I guess they're taking Trump's interest in retired Lt. General Michael Flynn seriously.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

showbiz_liz posted:

Can't wait for all of Prez Clinton's achievements to all be written off as "well, Sanders pushed her to the left!!"

What, three five months ago?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

o poo poo

emdash posted:

oh holy crap, the HA Goodman fountain springs anew

:argh:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 12, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Blago is back in the news...for his Elvis fanaticism.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/752910855939952640

:sad:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Gus_802/status/752889079230898176

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

"And that is why I happily endorse...." Bernie says just before being cut of by "Medley: Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)".

"By gawd that is Jill Steins music."

So THAT'S why she killed Vince McMahon

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

:perfect:

fang endorsement of trump pending in 3...2...1...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The next several months of Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, B-Rock 'The Islamic Shock' Hussein Superallah Obama, and Hilldawg out on the campaign trail just loving shredding Trump are going to be awesome.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn't the New Black Panther Party literally just two dudes?

It's an offshoot of the Nation Of Islam and is a nationwide thing, technically.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Also, in the least-shocking news, a bipartisan senate report just released details about how information and infrastructure initally collected/built to rally support for Israeli/Palestinian peace funded by grants secured by the State Dept. was later used to support the campaign to defeat Netanyahu.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

This speech is not easy if, like me, you have a pet peeve that politicians shouldn't be referred to by their past titles after they leave office.

:same:

at least say "former" if you're going to refer to them by a job they had twenty years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

NYT is reporting that the Clinton camp is VP vetting retired Navy Admiral James Starvidis. Four star general who served as NATO's 16th Supreme Allied Commander Europe and the 15th Commander of US European Command.

I guess they're taking Trump's interest in retired Lt. General Michael Flynn seriously.

Well 4 stars beats 3 stars. Pretty sad for Trump!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fknlo posted:

The next several months of Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, B-Rock 'The Islamic Shock' Hussein Superallah Obama, and Hilldawg out on the campaign trail just loving shredding Trump are going to be awesome.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Also, in the least-shocking news, a bipartisan senate report just released details about how information and infrastructure initally collected/built to rally support for Israeli/Palestinian peace funded by grants secured by the State Dept. was later used to support the campaign to defeat Netanyahu.

Good. It's too bad it didn't work.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Blago is back in the news...for his Elvis fanaticism.

This is probably the best sentence I will read all week:

quote:

Blagojevich's attorney says in court documents arguing for a reduction in his 14-year sentence that he has studied guitar and formed a band named after one of Elvis's biggest hits: "Jailhouse Rock."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Why didn't Fang do this during the primary?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

:perfect:

fang endorsement of trump pending in 3...2...1...

I guarantee that does not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pictured: Joe Biden staring at his Corvette.

• Locked thread