Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Champ design (visual) is worse than it's ever been. Everything is so noisy, derivative, off-brand, and plain stupid.

This stuff is so subjective but Kindred's concept, visual and sound design is probably the best thing that Riot has done in years imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Illoloil is the only champ in the last 12 months or whatever who looks and sounds like a league of legends champion.

Illaoi is a great design. Talliyah has a fun kit but she's too much of a knock-off avatar character.

I recently returned for a few games after three weeks and it wasn't great. Nice to see that the remake function works but the player base and inefficiency of reports is depressing.

Overwatch's competitive system really sucks at the moment though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Not only are the leaver/afk punishments way too relaxed for Overwatch, but they decided to ignore the pretty good rules for competitive that the players were going by and have stupid poo poo like character stacking, leaving every single map and game type in rotation, et cetera.

A lot of maps are really not balanced for competitive and some game types suck for it, and character stacking is reaaaaally stupid. It's dumb that the pretty well crowdsourced competitive rules players were using was ignored for the garbage that is in place.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

overwatch already dethroned league. this has already happened.

Overwatch is still new and they hosed up pretty badly with their first take on ranked, so it's too early to call it a success on the same level as league. If people are still playing it in massive numbers 6-12 months from now then sure.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Firebert posted:

This stuff is so subjective but Kindred's concept, visual and sound design is probably the best thing that Riot has done in years imo

Actually good point, kindred is good looking and interesting while fitting into the rift well. I kind of glossed over her because I think the champ is poopy dodo but it is a good design and concept (visually)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Champ design (visual) is worse than it's ever been. Everything is so noisy, derivative, off-brand, and plain stupid.

myself and the boys at riot have heard your complaints and we've come up with a solution - generic girl character with a big nose *kisses fingers like italian chef*

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

rabidsquid posted:

Not only are the leaver/afk punishments way too relaxed for Overwatch, but they decided to ignore the pretty good rules for competitive that the players were going by and have stupid poo poo like character stacking, leaving every single map and game type in rotation, et cetera.

A lot of maps are really not balanced for competitive and some game types suck for it, and character stacking is reaaaaally stupid. It's dumb that the pretty well crowdsourced competitive rules players were using was ignored for the garbage that is in place.

It's so crazy to me that hearthstone is the only decent comp scene blizzard has and that happened basically by accident.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo making not-toph not-blind is very ableist

we already have a blind guy so they should have made taliyah deaf

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i wonder what league's NA player numbers look like over the last few years.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I can't imagine being a new league of legends player in 2016, I started at the end of season 3 and it was overwhelming then, and the game's gotten 10x as complex since then. Like, imagine having to learn the jungle role all at once now rather than having things added piece by piece like we've experienced.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of my friends started in the past year and she loves the game and has never really mentioned it being complex? I don't think it's any more of a burden of knowledge than it ever has been.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the biggest barrier to new players is runes and champion prices, not burden of knowledge.

and honestly i was a jungle main back when udyr and warwick were the only viable ones, and the jungle is a lot simpler to learn now than it was in season 0 when people would argue over whether the jungle even existed and there were super tight rune/item/skill/timing requirements for going through it. these days you can take any champion with half decent damage or sustain into the jungle, buy a machete/talisman, bop your monsters, pop into a lane, poke your head into the dragon pit every now and then, and be basically competent until gold.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

new player experience as a whole is still really bad but if you don't get unlucky and accidentally trigger the smurf flag matchmaking tends to pair you against people who know just as little as you so the learning process isn't *too* painful.

there's a lot of nuances to league you won't explicitly need to know until you're well on your way climbing, but you can coast by for a long time only developing specific skill sets and playing the champions that complement them.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Something like jungling isn't really any more complex than it was, in fact it's less complex than for people like us who still have wriggles lantern floating around in our brain.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Actually good point, kindred is good looking and interesting while fitting into the rift well. I kind of glossed over her because I think the champ is poopy dodo but it is a good design and concept (visually)

They've definitely had some missteps. The Garen/Skarner/Malz reworks were not aggressive enough and basically just adjusted existing skills around a gimmick, and Aurelion Sol has a fairly boring kit without a real passive (though visually he is stunning). But Gangplank, Poppy, Taric and Graves' redesigns have made the characters so much more fun to play. Even though I still prefer old Kog, new Kog has grown on me. I guess I'm still pretty bullish on Riot's design team :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Something like jungling isn't really any more complex than it was, in fact it's less complex than for people like us who still have wriggles lantern floating around in our brain.

ill never forget you, shigoto kouhai keven-kun

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mordekaiser bot lane was objectively the dumbest thing they've done in the past year or 2, but the Skarner juggernaut rework is the only one that actually made me angry. They took a champion that they had finally gotten to a good spot after 2 reworks and reworked it again for no reason to add an unfun minigame without solving any of the actual problems with the champion.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Firebert posted:

They've definitely had some missteps. The Garen/Skarner/Malz reworks were not aggressive enough and basically just adjusted existing skills around a gimmick, and Aurelion Sol has a fairly boring kit without a real passive (though visually he is stunning). But Gangplank, Poppy, Taric and Graves' redesigns have made the characters so much more fun to play. Even though I still prefer old Kog, new Kog has grown on me. I guess I'm still pretty bullish on Riot's design team :)

I'm mostly just talking about visuals / concepts. I agree that the reworks have generally have been positive.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

Mordekaiser bot lane was objectively the dumbest thing they've done in the past year or 2, but the Skarner juggernaut rework is the only one that actually made me angry. They took a champion that they had finally gotten to a good spot after 2 reworks and reworked it again for no reason to add an unfun minigame without solving any of the actual problems with the champion.

I think the Morde changes were fine, it's just that he was way too strong on release and wasn't adjusted prior to Worlds. People had been begging Riot to break the standard meta for forever and taking a carry who was never played because he was way too easy to gank and sticking him with a support was a novel attempt.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

It's so crazy to me that hearthstone is the only decent comp scene blizzard has and that happened basically by accident.

yes this is true and completely and totally insane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should remove the dragon gimmick from morde, it eats up way too much of his power budget and only applies like 3-4 times a match

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They should eat up even more of his power budget and let him ghost the buffs and gromp and the chickens.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
bring back purple smite'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

They should eat up even more of his power budget and let him ghost the buffs and gromp and the chickens.
ah. chen.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Tired Moritz posted:

bring back purple smite'

I'll never forget you, purple smite.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

bring back purple smite'

Bring back 13 pots morde. Also red pot start. Also sword of the occult.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

ah. chen.

I am absolutely for a bastard fusion of Morde/Chen. As an added bonus, it drops the number of maps where his ult passive is worthless down from 2 to 1! (not counting Dominion or Ascendence)

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

the current meta sucks and people are not playing like they used too, though. Standard was a great idea, but they forgot about all the stuff GvG was specifically designed to fix/counter so the meta could expand.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah its a shame that all of that design space that was opened by dr boom is gone

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
new project skins are bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

project: yorick

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-614-notes

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Yasuo mains are people, too. Kind of.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oh so the shield of daybreak stun was actually bugged too.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Most exciting changes are that they acknowledged they haven't address Twisted Treeline in 27 patches (lmao) and that Pool Party Fiora and Miss Fortune both have very water balloons.

Sona changes are going to make her very strong I think, and I'm glad I don't have to put multi-game-mode items on my item sets anymore.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Those Fiora buffs are loving massive, gonna take +15 AD on her every single game now

.55 -> .95 bonus AD ratio at level 1 Q is insane.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Libertine posted:

Most exciting changes are that they acknowledged they haven't address Twisted Treeline in 27 patches (lmao)

i look back on the first official league tournament being on twisted treeline and i imagine what could have been

to this day i still think theres a market for a 3v3 moba with match that are hots length-ish but i dont think anyone will ever make one. i guess vainglory could be 3v3 for all i know but im probably never gonna play that.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Lee Sin AND Lux buffs? Okay, I'm listening.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is it gonna boost her early game that much? I mean, you're not having a lot of bonus ad at that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libertine posted:

Most exciting changes are that they acknowledged they haven't address Twisted Treeline in 27 patches (lmao) and that Pool Party Fiora and Miss Fortune both have very water balloons.

Sona changes are going to make her very strong I think, and I'm glad I don't have to put multi-game-mode items on my item sets anymore.

I get the feeling that Sona will need a mana item pretty quickly. Also it will now be easier to get S on supports I suppose.

quote:

SWIPER NO SWIPING Support grades specifically weigh assists equal to kills, leaving one fewer excuse for bloodthirsty Flash-Ignites

• Locked thread