Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We're all going to at least need some details about this area because you appear to live in a some kind of medieval pantry.

Not that that's bad necessarily but I think it's fair to ask what's up.

npe: taxidermy may be your friend for this environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chard posted:

We're all going to at least need some details about this area because you appear to live in a some kind of medieval pantry.

Not that that's bad necessarily but I think it's fair to ask what's up.

npe: taxidermy may be your friend for this environment

I live in a basement apartment of a 19th century tavern converted into a home converted into apartments. Interior and exterior walls are 18" rough stone. 2 non-functional fireplaces wired for electric (hello, artificial logs). Tile floors. ~600 sq ft. No storage space to speak of.

View from rear:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That's cool as hell.

It looks like at least one of your windows looks out onto a pretty nice lawn, I'd try to build around that natural light if I were in your place. The storage tub tower isn't ideal but you could put a screen or something in front and take care of it. Landscape paintings, plants, natural kind of things to alleviate the dungeon vibe, and indirect lighting (a row along part of the roof above the headboard might be nice)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unrelated to interior decorating, I have a river out back where I chill and listen to the ballgame, read my books, and drink beer.

It's pretty rad.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you had flat tan walls like everyone else in the world, I'd be yelling at you to get some depth on them - so, not just some flat framed art, or a poster or whatever, but something 3D to hang. You have the opposite problem, in that you have a ton of 3D and nothing flat. I think a couple of big, flat things, like a couple of framed photos (big) or 2D art would even out the room a bit.

And I still recommend the wall anchors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Toshimo posted:

Any suggestions for decorating the walls of my gooncave? I know it's not gonna be easy since they are p non-standard.

I think you are pretty much required to put either a mounted head (deer or bear preferred) or a shield and crossed swords above that fireplace.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Toshimo posted:

Go on...

I mean, yeah, a couple of grand for a new bedroom set would be nice, and the bed's getting replaced as soon as I can decide on which mattress type I can compromise on (since I basically just want something rock hard, but that's a non-starter for everyone else). But, I'd like to hear any suggestions.
If you can post a floor plan or more panorama pics, I can fully sperg in a personally satisfying way.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ashcans posted:

I think you are pretty much required to put either a mounted head (deer or bear preferred) or a shield and crossed swords above that fireplace.

If you want to lighten up the atmosphere (perhaps too much), use one of these: http://zooguu.com/products_softsculpture.html

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The phrase "gooncave" has never been more apropos.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Yond Cassius posted:

If you want to lighten up the atmosphere (perhaps too much), use one of these: http://zooguu.com/products_softsculpture.html

hahaha yeah, do this toshimo

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
I'm moving about 2.5 hours away in about 3 weeks. How much should I expect to pay if I pack/unpack myself and just rent a U-Haul? Is there a cheaper option? I'm hoping to do this as inexpensively as possible because this was very short notice and I haven't had time to save up (at all) for this move - I've basically been living paycheck to paycheck (although hopefully my new job will change that!). I also will have to likely pay a month's worth of rent/utilities on my old place in addition to security deposit on my new place. I live in NC if that makes a difference.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Check the website to see how much a one-way u-haul will cost. Also check budget truck rental and penske truck rental.

Don't forget the cost to get your vehicle to your destination.

If you have a vehicle that can pull a trailer, it's much cheaper than renting a truck.

The only thing cheaper than DIY move is selling all your poo poo and slowly re-buying when you arrive. Which isn't really cheaper, but does drag out the pain a little.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If you have a little car you can get a trailer for the truck to pull the car with.

I've never actually done it but in my fantasies where I quit my job and move to Chicago, that's how I would do it. Just load all my poo poo into a u-haul, hitch my car, and go. The U-Haul site says they hitch and unhitch your car for you for safety reasons, which sounds pretty convenient. How that works out as far as having space to load the truck, I have no idea. I haven't thought that far ahead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Toshimo posted:

I live in a basement apartment of a 19th century tavern converted into a home converted into apartments. Interior and exterior walls are 18" rough stone. 2 non-functional fireplaces wired for electric (hello, artificial logs). Tile floors. ~600 sq ft. No storage space to speak of.

View from rear:

That lovely lawn will be ruined when they start digging it up to look for bodies.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

voltroon posted:

I'm moving about 2.5 hours away in about 3 weeks. How much should I expect to pay if I pack/unpack myself and just rent a U-Haul? Is there a cheaper option? I'm hoping to do this as inexpensively as possible because this was very short notice and I haven't had time to save up (at all) for this move - I've basically been living paycheck to paycheck (although hopefully my new job will change that!). I also will have to likely pay a month's worth of rent/utilities on my old place in addition to security deposit on my new place. I live in NC if that makes a difference.

I moved about 3.5 hours with a 16foot (I think... 2nd from largest) U-Haul and it cost me about $400, including gas. This was about 2 years ago.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Kusaru posted:

I moved about 3.5 hours with a 16foot (I think... 2nd from largest) U-Haul and it cost me about $400, including gas. This was about 2 years ago.

Did you tow your car with it? (I don't have to worry about that part because my wife will drive our car.) I looked it up last night and the rental for a 17' looks to be about $200 but I know they charge per mile (or is that just in-town?) plus gas. Thank you, this is very helpful.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Usually out-of-town mileage is covered within a range. If you're moving 500 miles, you might get a 650 mile allowance and 3 days. Over miles or over time is more money.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm moving into a housing association place soon. It's cheap as gently caress compared to everything else here, and it's in a fairly decent neighborhood. Only big issue that came up so far was the fact that the door between the two rooms isn't in the planned position, but rather in the middle of the wall. But I'll deal. Something I'm a little worried about is the fact that it is the top floor just below an attic, but supposedly it is well isolated.
Anyway, I've estimated I'll have about twenty boxes of stuff to move, and the plan is to get a truck anyway.
I'm really not sure how to transport the few furniture items I'm taking along. It seems like a pain in the rear end to disassemble and reassemble, but they are fairly large cabinets. What's the advice for transporting disassembled furniture?
Also, local supermarket has a pretty decent & cheap washing machine on offer this week, but the place is still being renovated :(

Since the place is completely renovated, I'll have to supply my own kitchen. I don't have much space in there, but also I'm not really wanting to spend money. Is there any consensus on oven/stove AIO solutions? Or should I just cough up the cash and get an IKEA kitchen and maybe place some cheaper electronics in it?

(In Austria btw)

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Any advice for negotiating and renewing your lease? Mine is coming up, and I'll want to stay since it's a decent place. I figure going around and getting numbers on other places nearby with similar units will help, but any other tactics/tricks?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Does your lease revert to a month-to-month? Did they reach out to say anything? If nothing happens, just keep paying the monthly rent and go month-to-month.

In the back of your head, know that your landlord doesn't want a vacancy any more than you want to move.

Much like negotiating with your boss, gently nudge them in the right direction, and let them believe everything is their idea and that they are in charge.

If you give more specifics, I may have more ideas.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

voltroon posted:

Did you tow your car with it? (I don't have to worry about that part because my wife will drive our car.) I looked it up last night and the rental for a 17' looks to be about $200 but I know they charge per mile (or is that just in-town?) plus gas. Thank you, this is very helpful.

No, I drove separately. There was not a mileage rate, but I did have to refill the gas tank which was over $100.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

My apartment smells. I moved in a couple months ago and the previous tenants were definitely smokers/dirty people. The walls were painted just before I moved in and it's all hardwood. There's nothing to hit with the Febreeze. What would you all recommend I use to freshen this bitch up? I tried plug-in scents, but they didn't do much.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
See if your landlord will paint again. A coat of solid primer and another coat of paint will help. Then a good solid scrub of every loving surface. Then living with what's leftover for 3 months while the summer heat smokes it out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Turkey Farts posted:

My apartment smells. I moved in a couple months ago and the previous tenants were definitely smokers/dirty people. The walls were painted just before I moved in and it's all hardwood. There's nothing to hit with the Febreeze. What would you all recommend I use to freshen this bitch up? I tried plug-in scents, but they didn't do much.

Go to a petsmart and get a big jug of natures miracle. Spray the entire place twice with a healthy soak. That will do the trick for animals/smoke/dirty smells guaranteed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
My landlord wants my moving company to list them as a certificate holder on their certificate of insurance. Is that even a thing? It sounds kind of absurd for a one-time move. I already provided them with proof of insurance.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Xandu posted:

My landlord wants my moving company to list them as a certificate holder on their certificate of insurance. Is that even a thing? It sounds kind of absurd for a one-time move. I already provided them with proof of insurance.

I have moved once a year from rental to rental for the past 6 years using professional movers and i have never once encountered this.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have moved once a year from rental to rental for the past 6 years using professional movers and i have never once encountered this.

Yeah New York City is just weird I think. Ended up calling the movers and apparently they deal with this all the time.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah, it's a thing. It's rare, but it's a thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xandu posted:

Yeah New York City is just weird I think. Ended up calling the movers and apparently they deal with this all the time.

I don't know how common it is for movers but I work for carpet cleaners and we get this all the time. Provided you have insurance you just email your agent what the building needs and that's that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I right to avoid rentals that don't have in unit laundry like the plague? I've got a list of about 12 places to look at at the moment, and the main reason things are in my '3rd place' group is lack of washer dryer. It seems to cut about 80% of the rentals in the area I'm looking at out of the equation when I filter it, but it sounds like an unnecessary headache I don't want to deal with.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I right to avoid rentals that don't have in unit laundry like the plague? I've got a list of about 12 places to look at at the moment, and the main reason things are in my '3rd place' group is lack of washer dryer. It seems to cut about 80% of the rentals in the area I'm looking at out of the equation when I filter it, but it sounds like an unnecessary headache I don't want to deal with.

Having one in unit is a significant quality of life improvement, but depending on where you live, it's also a significant premium in terms of cost. I say at the bare minimum there should be laundry in the building.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would say that it depends on where you are a lot. In Boston the only places that are going to have in-unit laundry are new apartments and old ones that have been more or less totally redone, so that requirement would push you into the top bracket on most rentals. Which is ok (if you can afford them) but you should realize that when making the call. A huge slice of the housing stock here was built before washers and dryers were a thing and just don't have ready space/hookups for them.

All the places I have rented that had laundry had it in the basement, and really that wasn't a pain to deal with. You have to go up and down some stairs, but that's true for plenty of people living in houses. It's only weird if you end up down there in your bathrobe or underwear and your neighbor comes down to do their laundry. :shrug: Having to go to a laundromat really sucks though, especially if you need to do laundry every day/every couple days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah at least everywhere we've looked at at least has laundry facilities on site. I think it would come down to ratio of apartments per machine, as I know it would be frustrating to go to a laundry room and permanently see no available machines, or people never picking their stuff up. My wife works as a nurse on night shifts, so needs to do her uniform turnover pretty quickly sometimes and after a 12 hour shift on a bad night messing about with that stuff can be an arseache (and you don't want to hog a machine while you sleep).

We're in Florida, Ft Lauderdale, so sadly a basement setup isn't common here for flooding reasons. We have 6 top choices that all have in unit at least, but everything has been a compromise naturally. No single property that hits all the buttons, but that's to be expected.

Thanks both!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
It's a personal preference thing. For me it's a total deal breaker not to have W/D hookups but we have the budget to have that luxury. I would at least look for in-building laundry with having to go to a laundromat as a last resort.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
No in-unit laundry and I wouldn't even look at it. Being able to do laundry at 11PM while nude is very nice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah at least everywhere we've looked at at least has laundry facilities on site. I think it would come down to ratio of apartments per machine, as I know it would be frustrating to go to a laundry room and permanently see no available machines, or people never picking their stuff up.
Oh yea, definitely go for places that has a 1/1 ratio and ideally dedicated machines. The places where the machines are in the basement have one set per apartment, not everyone sharing the same units. That is just asking for problems and passive-aggressive sniping at other tenants. I think I would rather hit the laundromat than share a set of machines with other tenants, to be honest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anne Whateley posted:

If you can post a floor plan or more panorama pics, I can fully sperg in a personally satisfying way.

Finally got the time to do this. Pls be gentle.

Some are repeats.

Here's the exterior again. It's the only entrance to the unit.

Entryway/Front half of kitchen:

Back half of kitchen/Bathroom Door:

No bathroom pic, but here's my sweet shower curtain:

Front half of Dining/Living Area:

Side of Dining/Living Area (the opposite side of that bookshelf in the kitchen is a pantry):

Rear half of Dining/Living Area:

And, the repeats of the bedroom:

Obviously going through all the storage bins and boxes, consolidating and getting rid of stuff is high on my to-do list.

But, other than that, I'm not sure at all what I'd like to do with the place beyond keeping the maroon/black/gold color scheme.

Also, it's a bit cramped right now because I've got a lot of stuff here temporarily for having sweet goonmeets out back (cornhole boards, coolers, tables, folding chairs).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My last two apartments have had on-site laundry, with one washer/dryer split between ~12 apartments. I had fewer problems getting machines than I did when I lived in a house with two roommates.

People tend to be pretty considerate with on-site apartment laundry.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

People tend to be pretty considerate with on-site apartment laundry.

hahaha

Last time I had shared apartment laundry someone stole my clothes hamper. At least I still had my clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah someone literally stole my husband's egyptian cotton sheets from the dryer. He refused to do shared laundry after that.