Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have you seen the dual lands they put out these days? The only cost to running more colors is financial :v:

With a few exceptions that have only lasted one rotation each (one of which was just a few months ago admittedly), standard has been 2-3 colors pretty consistently for pretty much its entire existence. If you're talking about modern or legacy, then the manabases are made up of cards that are 7, 11, 14, and 23 years old. They print more dual lands in the modern era but they aren't really consistently better now than in the past.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have you seen the dual lands they put out these days? The only cost to running more colors is financial :v:

And the old duals are even more costly. :downsrim:

As good as modern duals are, it's not like they're free. Some come down tapped, others need conditions to be met, etc. At least, that's the principle behind them.

And yeah, what cheetah said. Modern duals aren't particularly mindblowing, they fill their niches and allow for multicolour strategies, but usually it stays within 2-3 colours because of that cost. Even in the brief time where manabases went nuts, a 5C deck wasn't exactly common.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 11, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wizards can cast 1 spell level per day of one school for every piece of appropriate land they own. It has to be a significant enough piece of land that you would refer to it as "a mountain" or "a forest" or whatever, so owning a half acre in a swamp doesn't count as "a swamp", you have to own the whole thing.

They are limited to 20 hit points, and can't make non-spell attacks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Boing posted:

This would be way more interesting than the way D&D 5e actually resolves fights
Until someone pulls out the rainbow death mox deck and is suddenly the most powerful 1st level character in the world.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
If I would have kept my pile of dual lands I would be rich. :cry:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So they're cannibalizing mtg and not making books for actual D&D settings. That can't be a good sign.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

So they're cannibalizing mtg and not making books for actual D&D settings. That can't be a good sign.

~WotC~

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Babylon Astronaut posted:

What sign? It's pretty much openly their business model. This is business as usual.
Sit on the DnD license until a good new opportunity comes. Until then, let it wait. Let other people create content for it, and release an official adventure of at least 'decent-ish' quality every six months or so that can be played with just the basic set.

I have many issues with 5e, but their business model isn't one of them. If they would include things in the adventure supplements similar to Elemental Evil that wasn't just "more spells" and expanded to "more archetypes that are actually good" then I'd even call it good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bewilderment posted:

What sign? It's pretty much openly their business model. This is business as usual.
Sit on the DnD license until a good new opportunity comes. Until then, let it wait. Let other people create content for it, and release an official adventure of at least 'decent-ish' quality that can be played with just the basic set.

Wizards's business model tends to follow a "they're gonna buy it anyway" policy, so this is hardly a surprise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Buy" it? The last MTG/D&D crossover setting material was released for free IIRC

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Finished Curse of Strahd, 2nd session. Spoiler tagged for potential players.

The campaign REALLY opens up huge once players reach Vallaki. It basically becomes the new central hub for where all the real meat of the game is. This could be a potential nightmare as a DM, as you really need to know what each area is, who's there, and where the fortunes might have placed things. You need to be prepared to run any area your party might go to, because everything is reachable from Vallaki. The book doesn't offer much advice as to what a good flow would be other than recommended level, so you'll need to do some work to try and build a cohesive story out of how this will all flow.

Hilariously, my players have ended up with a lot of property in Barovia. The deed to Durst's home and windmill from Death House, the deed to the Mayor's home (payment from Ismark to bring him and Ireena to Vallaki), as well as having bought the Blood of the Vine Inn. They convinced Ismark, now the new mayor of Barovia, that the Vistani owners should be evicted and they would buy the inn. Some good RP and nice rolls, and Ismark gladly issued the order for his new friends in the Blue Water Inn. The player's ally is the dead nobleman of Watcherhaus, but I really dont see what it is he can offer. He's just a guy, and his wife loves Strahd. What is he really going to DO other than die a horrible death? I figure I would spice it up so, were he ever to be raised, he would become possessed by another noble spirit of the Dread Domains...I think his name is Azalin...

I've also tried to stress how totally different Vallaki is from Barovia Village. It isn't rundown and wrecked, it actually looks clean, well kept, and lively.There are people about, business is being run, there's music, there's LAUGHTER....is this really a safe haven from Strahd?

My players have been adamantly avoiding the Vistani (not surprising since a Vistani coachman was the one who brought them to Barovia in the first place), so they haven't received any reading. I think what I'm going to have to do is have Rictavio provide them the leads for the adventure. They'll know what the items are, but not WHERE they are. I might drop some hints towards Argonvholt, as well as the Wizard of Wines. They told the Major of Vallaki that they were in town because they were told Strahd wanted to meet them at his castle (not true). I might have the Mayor incidentally mention that in passing to Strahd next time he communicates with him, so when the players next return to town, they'll be a certain black carriage waiting to take them that the Mayor says he happily arranged for them.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 12, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also it's not so much "Cannibalizing the Magic Team", they just sort of released the setting art bible prettied up a bit for a PDF. The magic team makes that kind of poo poo anyway as a part of building their sets.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Is there a good place to see like, a "cliff notes" for COS? Something with key characters, places and events? My murder hobos are about to get out of death house and it's all a little overwhelming.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

If I would have kept my pile of dual lands I would be rich. :cry:
Yeah, me too. I had a ton of Revised and a few Unlimited way back in the day, but I sold them for a song back when the market was low. :(

I had a full set of multi-lands.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is there a good place to see like, a "cliff notes" for COS? Something with key characters, places and events? My murder hobos are about to get out of death house and it's all a little overwhelming.

Did you run the Eva reading already, to know where stuff is? If not, DO THAT NOW. Those will determine how vital certain areas are or aren't. Off the top of my head:

Barovia Village - Ismark is the son of the deceased mayor. His sister is Ireena, who is being stalked by Strahd (one of Strahd's motivations). He will be looking for the players to help bring him and his sister to Vallaki.

Tser Pool Camp - Madam Eva is here. She will do the tarokka reading for the players if they meet her.

Windmill - They might end up here since the deed is in Death House. 3 witches live here. Total death trap if a fight breaks out, unless you change the encounter significantly. These are the witches making the dream pies.

Vallaki - The Mayor runs festivals here constantly, thinking it keeps Strahd at bay.

Blue Water inn (Vallaki) - hideout of the Keepers of the Feather wereravens, who are against Strahd. Their family owns Wizards of the Wines, although there has been a recent falling out. Rictavio is here, who is really the famous vampire hunter, Van Richten. He has a hideaway in the nearby tower, and is being hunted down by Strahd (one of Strahd's motivations). Rictavio HATES Vistani and has a sabertooth tiger hidden in the stockyard trained to kill them.

Watcherhaus (Vallaki) - Hates the major. Dead noble potential ally is here. They support Strahd and run a secret cult out in the basement.

Church (Vallaki) - sacred bones of a saint have been stolen, so the place is no longer sacred ground. It got stolen by a kid, forget his name, for some money from the coffinmaker. IIf the bones aren't returned within 3 days, this place is hosed.

Coffinmaker(Vallaki) - Old dude has the bones he paid some kid to steal hidden here. Did it because a nobelman told him he would start getting lots of business if he did (Strahd in disguise). Vampire spawn are hidden in the attic and will trash the church in 3 days if the bones aren't there.

Hopefully should be enough to get you through your next session. Yeah... there's a lot of poo poo. There's still a lot left I have to read still, too. :shobon:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Did you run the Eva reading already, to know where stuff is? If not, DO THAT NOW. Those will determine how vital certain areas are or aren't. Off the top of my head:

Barovia Village - Ismark is the son of the deceased mayor. His sister is Ireena, who is being stalked by Strahd (one of Strahd's motivations). He will be looking for the players to help bring him and his sister to Vallaki.

Tser Pool Camp - Madam Eva is here. She will do the tarokka reading for the players if they meet her.

Windmill - They might end up here since the deed is in Death House. 3 witches live here. Total death trap if a fight breaks out, unless you change the encounter significantly. These are the witches making the dream pies.

Vallaki - The Mayor runs festivals here constantly, thinking it keeps Strahd at bay.

Blue Water inn (Vallaki) - hideout of the Keepers of the Feather wereravens, who are against Strahd. Their family owns Wizards of the Wines, although there has been a recent falling out. Rictavio is here, who is really the famous vampire hunter, Van Richten. He has a hideaway in the nearby tower, and is being hunted down by Strahd (one of Strahd's motivations). Rictavio HATES Vistani and has a sabertooth tiger hidden in the stockyard trained to kill them.

Watcherhaus (Vallaki) - Hates the major. Dead noble potential ally is here. They support Strahd and run a secret cult out in the basement.

Church (Vallaki) - sacred bones of a saint have been stolen, so the place is no longer sacred ground. It got stolen by a kid, forget his name, for some money from the coffinmaker. IIf the bones aren't returned within 3 days, this place is hosed.

Coffinmaker(Vallaki) - Old dude has the bones he paid some kid to steal hidden here. Did it because a nobelman told him he would start getting lots of business if he did (Strahd in disguise). Vampire spawn are hidden in the attic and will trash the church in 3 days if the bones aren't there.

Hopefully should be enough to get you through your next session. Yeah... there's a lot of poo poo. There's still a lot left I have to read still, too. :shobon:

That's a great jumping off point. Thanks for writing that up, it's really appreciated.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, after years of not touching a single dice I just ordered the core 5e books in an attempt to get some games going with a couple mates.

How badly did I just screw up?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, after years of not touching a single dice I just ordered the core 5e books in an attempt to get some games going with a couple mates.

How badly did I just screw up?
How long are we talking here?

Did you play 3e? Did you like 3e? If the answer is yes, then congrats! You're in for a slightly streamlined version of that.

If you played but didn't like 3e, you hosed up.

If neither, then you probably don't have a frame of reference. There are some common pitfalls, but it takes a while for most groups to really start to notice them if you're all new. So there's probably a decent amount of fun to be had.

e: Just for the love of all that is holy, stay away from the published adventures if you can. Maybe the newer ones are okay, but the first couple were complete poo poo.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Should have given some more background, apologies.

I played a bunch of Rolemaster (LoTR) back in 2000, got really loving annoyed with the system and got 3.5 after playing a bit of 3e with another group and having my interest piqued. I liked 3.5 well enough, grabbed Eberron since I'm poo poo at settings and I thought the pulpy/adventure-y feel would go down well with my group and DMd a couple sessions for them.

Of course my Rolemaster group hated 3.5 since it was "too complicated" compared to loving Rolemaster (which used an average of 3 tables to determine the outcome of a single attack), and we only ended up playing when the designated Rolemaster DM couldn't be arsed to make up a session.

Then everyone got old, married, had kids or moved to another country and we just stopped playing altogether. It's probably been... 7 or 8 years? Since I last played. Then a couple weeks ago we started talking D&D with some friends (none of which belonged to the original group), I got the itch again and managed to convince 3 of them to give it another shot. They sounded eager, so I think I can get a couple sessions out of them before the rulebooks become a decoration in my shelves. :v:

/edit: VVVV I am, I just want to play a system that doesn't make me want to stop playing because my archer character got blinded by bees (tiny creature critical - stingers table) in his first battle and couldn't be healed for 2 or 3 sessions because that's not how the setting works.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 12, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically if you are playing with people you like and trust it barely matters what the system is. If you are all determined to play the best system, that it ain't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Edmond Dantes posted:

Should have given some more background, apologies.

I played a bunch of Rolemaster (LoTR) back in 2000, got really loving annoyed with the system and got 3.5 after playing a bit of 3e with another group and having my interest piqued. I liked 3.5 well enough, grabbed Eberron since I'm poo poo at settings and I thought the pulpy/adventure-y feel would go down well with my group and DMd a couple sessions for them.

Of course my Rolemaster group hated 3.5 since it was "too complicated" compared to loving Rolemaster (which used an average of 3 tables to determine the outcome of a single attack), and we only ended up playing when the designated Rolemaster DM couldn't be arsed to make up a session.

Then everyone got old, married, had kids or moved to another country and we just stopped playing altogether. It's probably been... 7 or 8 years? Since I last played. Then a couple weeks ago we started talking D&D with some friends (none of which belonged to the original group), I got the itch again and managed to convince 3 of them to give it another shot. They sounded eager, so I think I can get a couple sessions out of them before the rulebooks become a decoration in my shelves. :v:

/edit: VVVV I am, I just want to play a system that doesn't make me want to stop playing because my archer character got blinded by bees (tiny creature critical - stingers table) in his first battle and couldn't be healed for 2 or 3 sessions because that's not how the setting works.
Just keep in mind that the spellcasters will completely overshadow the non-spellcasters relatively quickly, so if the Rogue starts getting kind of pissy about their lack of contribution compared to the Wizard, listen to them and try to adjust.

If the Wizard starts complaining about their lack of contribution compared to the Rogue then your Wizard is defective and should be returned in its original packaging.

e: if the Bard ever complains about anything kill them with goblins.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I want to play a bard because I kind of like its support mechanics. :(

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Caphi posted:

I want to play a bard because I kind of like its support mechanics. :(

The bard has great support mechanics. The problem is it also has great "everything else" mechanics.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Played in my first serious 5e game this past weekend, a 3 player game with me as a warlock teaming with a ranger and a druid. Had fun with the initial set up, but once we got into our first dungeon we had a near TPK. Druid goes down first, followed soon after by the ranger. I had been in the back letting Eldritch Blasts fly, saw this happen and proceeded to retreat, knowing I wouldn't last a round or two with the two remaining monster focused on me. Plan was to lure them out into the hall, blasting out of their range until I take them down, and hopefully get back to my teammates to stabilize them. Unfortunately, the druid had terrible rolls and failed three death saves. :( Had to end it there to give the DM time to decide how to proceed.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
So I am joining a game soon, planning to play a dex-based switch-hitting half-elf paladin who is going to go Ancients at 3rd.
Am I going to run into any weird issues doing this, other then having slightly lower maximum AC then the full-plate strength paladin?
Moonbeam / Divine Favor + Longbow and a mount seems pretty strong, and smite doesn't seem like a super efficient use of spell slots anyways. Starting AC at first is exactly the same using Scale Mail.
I can't decide if a 1 level Fighter dip would be worth it for this build, it slightly delays spellcasting/bonus stats but increases bow accuracy. The more I think about it the more I doubt it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
A regular smite is not a super efficient use of a spell slot, true. However, a critical smite is a quite good use of a spell slot. And because you call a smite after rolling to hit, you can cherry-pick your criticals for smiting.

DEX-based paladins should be fine. You'll have a higher initiative, better ranged attacks, and you'll deal equivalent damage with a rapier to a STR-based paladin with a longsword. As long as you're ok with missing out on great weapon fighting style and the two-hander/polearm feats, there's no real reason to not go DEX. Unless there are some mechanics or spells that are based off STR that I can't remember at the moment.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Important things to remember about DEX paladins:
  • You can't smite with ranged weapon attacks
  • You need 13 Str AND 13 Cha to MC

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah I knew about the no smite with ranged attacks, along with none of the smite-spells.

Does let me do silly things with concentration spells like Moonbeam (ancients 2 or 3) and Misty Step with my horse from Find Steed.

My stats after racial adjustments are: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any decent Warlock multi classes? I basically have Eldritch Blast to do damage then a shitload of utility spells so I don't really know if there's anything else worth bothering. Bard might be neat but would I still get the ability score increase for hitting total level four or is it based off of hitting specific levels within each class?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 13, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bard might be neat but would I still get the ability score increase for hitting total level four or is it based off of hitting specific levels within each class?

:bang:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any decent Warlock multi classes? I basically have Eldritch Blast to do damage then a shitload of utility spells so I don't really know if there's anything else worth bothering. Bard might be neat but would I still get the ability score increase for hitting total level four or is it based off of hitting specific levels within each class?

Sorcerer, though it's more a Sorcerer with a 2-3 level dip in Warlock. You delay spell progression a bit to get more blasting power and recover spell points during short rests. Warlock spell slots and Eldrich Blast being a cantrip plays extremely well with the Sorcerer's metamagic.

Ability score increases are indeed tied to specific class levels because lol 5th edition.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

2 levels in rogue gets you cunning action; if you have invisibility or greater invis as spells then you can pretty much hide at-will in & out of combat.

ASI are tied to class level instead of total level (some get more than others).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm only level 3 now, I suppose one more level to get that juicy +2 CHA wouldn't hurt. Empowered Spell seems nice.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dick Burglar posted:

A regular smite is not a super efficient use of a spell slot, true. However, a critical smite is a quite good use of a spell slot. And because you call a smite after rolling to hit, you can cherry-pick your criticals for smiting.

DEX-based paladins should be fine. You'll have a higher initiative, better ranged attacks, and you'll deal equivalent damage with a rapier to a STR-based paladin with a longsword. As long as you're ok with missing out on great weapon fighting style and the two-hander/polearm feats, there's no real reason to not go DEX. Unless there are some mechanics or spells that are based off STR that I can't remember at the moment.

Tbf it's more the opposite. Unless there are some mechanics or spells based off DEX, polearms are literally the best weapons in the game bar none.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm only level 3 now, I suppose one more level to get that juicy +2 CHA wouldn't hurt. Empowered Spell seems nice.

Nah, you've already gotten the main benefit you'll get from warlock levels, delaying that ASI until 7 sucks but won't kill you. If you switch now you can start throwing 4 Hexed Eldrich Blast bolts a round using Quickened Spell at level 6 (5 if you'd swapped after Warlock 2, but you've now got level 2 warlock spell slots which does give you much better conversion to spell points and the pact class feature is nice) So by level 7 that's 4x(d10+d6+5)=56 damage per round (modified by accuracy), more if you bother to use a real spell in place of one of the Eldrich Blasts.

Most of the metamagic abilities are good, but Twinned and Quickened spell are the standouts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

According to Adventurer's League rules, you can rebuild your character up to level 4; the only thing you can't change is their name.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Well then it's up to you as a matter of taste/how the campaign plays out. Keeping 3 levels of Warlock is going to delay your power spike a level but will make level 4 a lot more enjoyable. Even if you want the Pact and your game has enough short rests to let you take full advantage of the level 2 spell slots via casting/spell conversion (both of which are reasonable- Tome Pact gives a lot of flexibility via rituals and cross class cantrips for things like Guidance, there are a lot of excellent level 2 spells, and you'll definitely want as many spell points as possible) you may want to consider delaying grabbing it until ~level 8 though so you can get your first ASI and level 3 spells as quickly as possible (Twinned Haste is really good if your party has filthy martial characters).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

LGD posted:

Well then it's up to you as a matter of taste/how the campaign plays out. Keeping 3 levels of Warlock is going to delay your power spike a level but will make level 4 a lot more enjoyable. Even if you want the Pact and your game has enough short rests to let you take full advantage of the level 2 spell slots via casting/spell conversion (both of which are reasonable- Tome Pact gives a lot of flexibility via rituals and cross class cantrips for things like Guidance, there are a lot of excellent level 2 spells, and you'll definitely want as many spell points as possible) you may want to consider delaying grabbing it until ~level 8 though so you can get your first ASI and level 3 spells as quickly as possible (Twinned Haste is really good if your party has filthy martial characters).

I'll play around with things that I'll get at level 4 and see how it is; waiting til level 8 feels like it'll take forever. We only gained like 180 XP last session.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Tbf it's more the opposite. Unless there are some mechanics or spells based off DEX, polearms are literally the best weapons in the game bar none.

Yeah I know that polearms are the best weapons. I was saying that, unless they wanted to go for polearm optimization (which is the Correct Choice™), they weren't missing out on much else by ignoring strength. For instance, a sword-and-board STR paladin is not going to have any real advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Would it actually be dangerous in any way to get ASIs every four character levels? I'm not planning on running that way or asking a GM to in particular, but it's come up in conversation.