Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

pisshead posted:

Oh ok that's disappointing. When do you get into pvp? I'm level 18 atm.

You can PvP at any level (you'll be upscaled to 80 and actually have a separate build for it). Just click on the crossed swords icon at the top left of your screen and it'll bring up the PvP menu (I don't know if it has a default binding). It uses standardized equipment as well, which can be changed while you're in the PvP lobby. You technically don't need to do any PvE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

pisshead posted:

It's efficient enough to kill everything without too much trouble, of course I cast the 2 and 3 when they're off cooldown, and 4 when someone's in my face, but other than that I don't see what the other attunements would bring to the table.

Yea, when leveling Fire is life. But as mentioned other attuenments are great in the other game modes. And eventually somewhere down the line even pubbies are going to expect you to Sandstorm some mobs (Glyph of Storms while in Earth attunement).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pisshead posted:

OK, I'll try a mesmer or engie. If the most effective way to play is boring, that sounds like a failure of game design. I could find other ways to kill mobs than 1 1 1 1 1, but I'd just be tickling them with lightning, rocks or ice whilst they beat my face in. That would give more variety but wouldn't necessarily be any more fun, it'd just be taking longer to get their health bars down, not necessarily a different play style.

Dagger/dagger is actually just as viable a way to play. You kill things plenty quickly, it's just much more involved since you have to get up close to whatever you're killing. Use the fresh air trait in the air line so you can hop in and out of air attunement quickly. You want to use your air autoattack primarily and the particularly damaging skills of the other attunements. If you have three trait lines available you want fire, air and arcane so you can use the blast finisher on earth attunement dodge.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

But but fire staff 2 is like, your most consistent and best dps thing :psyduck:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

pisshead posted:

Oh ok that's disappointing. When do you get into pvp? I'm level 18 atm.

come with me friend

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
PvP is a good idea for everyone, especially newbies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Toraen posted:

You can PvP at any level (you'll be upscaled to 80 and actually have a separate build for it). Just click on the crossed swords icon at the top left of your screen and it'll bring up the PvP menu (I don't know if it has a default binding). It uses standardized equipment as well, which can be changed while you're in the PvP lobby. You technically don't need to do any PvE.

I don't think you get the PvP shortcut before your first character hits like level 30. You'd have to walk there.

Which is entire possible. There's a purple portal in your home city that leads to Lion's Arch, which has a big fort full of portals in the south end. Heart of the Mists is the PvP lobby.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

I don't think you get the PvP shortcut before your first character hits like level 30. You'd have to walk there.

Which is entire possible. There's a purple portal in your home city that leads to Lion's Arch, which has a big fort full of portals in the south end. Heart of the Mists is the PvP lobby.

Wait, really? I started this game back at release and I'm pretty sure the shortcut was there even at early levels. Did they take that out in the new player experience revamp?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Xun posted:

But but fire staff 2 is like, your most consistent and best dps thing :psyduck:

That lava floor thing? Doesn't seem to do much damage to me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

pisshead posted:

That lava floor thing? Doesn't seem to do much damage to me.

Do you have the 33% cooldown reduction and the 2 second Fire field extension traits? Staff Elementalist is one of the exceptions in this game, where your most consistent source of spammable damage is not Autoattack, it's actually Lava Font (assuming your enemy stays in the field).

In other words, you can kill things faster by only casting Lava Fonts vs. only casting Fireballs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Course, lavafont is nearly instant, so why wouldn't you throw it out every cooldown.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Course, lavafont is nearly instant, so why wouldn't you throw it out every cooldown.

Because that's not how this game was designed. Lava Font is an exception to the rule.

Lots of other classes have near instant spells, yet their best DPS rotation revolves around not casting them and casting autoattack instead. Staff Elementalist is an exception: Your goal is to cast Lava Font as if it were your autoattack, and weave other DPS inbetween each Lava Font, for 4 seconds. Its not just about Damage, or cast time, or cooldown, but all three, and Lava Font is weird because of how much it excels in all 3 categories combined.

related: The unlisted cast time of Lava Font is 0.2 seconds, and the unlisted aftercast is also 0.2 seconds, making the total cast time 0.4 seconds. When maintaining sustained DPS, this is an appreciable value, and any different would drastically change the role of Lava Font.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 11, 2016

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

we've reached peak empty promises mode, an announcement of an announcement:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Living-World-Season-Three

Orv
May 4, 2011

Toraen posted:

Wait, really? I started this game back at release and I'm pretty sure the shortcut was there even at early levels. Did they take that out in the new player experience revamp?

Yeeeeep!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lyer posted:

we've reached peak empty promises mode, an announcement of an announcement:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Living-World-Season-Three

They've been taking lessons from Bungie.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

except bungie actually learns from their mistakes and has fun pvp

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Lyer posted:

It's okay, he apparently said a bunch of words that mean nothing on the forums because other sites are handling actually talking about it instead. I guess.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/12/a-sneak-peek-at-guild-wars-2s-living-world-season-3-episode-1-out-of-the-shadows/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/11006/Guild-Wars-2-Living-Story-Season-3-Out-of-the-Shadows-Begins-July-26th.html

So maybe the 26th.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'm actually looking forward to the Season 3 releases. Lately I've only really logged on to raid. It will be nice to have some new story content to do. But then, I also enjoyed the last two living story seasons.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Pesterchum posted:

It's okay, he apparently said a bunch of words that mean nothing on the forums because other sites are handling actually talking about it instead. I guess.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/12/a-sneak-peek-at-guild-wars-2s-living-world-season-3-episode-1-out-of-the-shadows/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/11006/Guild-Wars-2-Living-Story-Season-3-Out-of-the-Shadows-Begins-July-26th.html

So maybe the 26th.

quote:

Fractals are due for updates during the season as well. First we have the Chaos Isles fractal. You’ll see elements from several past fractals combined into one thanks to a character tentatively named as “Mysterious Asura.” No, really, that’s literally all I was told. Dessa is still in charge of figuring out what’s up with the fractals, so players will be helping her figure out not only what’s going on in the Chaos Isles but who this other Asura is and why they can control the fractal. Chaos Isles won’t be a single, complete story, but the start of a new arc that will parallel the main Season 3 plot.

Then you have “Revenge of the Capricorn,” a revamped version of the retired Raid on the Capricorn. The old map was removed due to the underwater element, as the team wanted to focus more on land combat (so no, we won’t have any underwater battles here). It’s a move I’m particularly disappointed with, as I really enjoyed the underwater combat. It’s a big reason RotC was my favorite PvP map. At least players will be able to enjoy some Lion’s Arch architecture again!

As before, you’ll have three points to capture, but now in addition to players, you’ll have the pirates of the Capricorn roaming the map for revenge. Players are supposed to need to unite at times to fight against the third faction. To help with this, there will be a new bell objective capturable at 3-minute intervals that signals a canon fires on the Capricorn. It also awards your team some points, and capturing it multiple times in a row gives you an additional bonus (first 25, then 50, 75). The idea is that the objective can be used as both a “winning more” mechanic or a way of making a comeback.

Neat.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Saying that they removed raid on capricorn because they wanted to focus on land combat is like saying richard nixon resigned so he could focus on being a civilian

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Saying that they removed raid on capricorn because they wanted to focus on land combat is like saying richard nixon resigned so he could focus on being a civilian

Can you please re-state this metaphor but make it Canadian?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It's like saying you stopped eating to focus on having eaten literally everything edible within the Canadian borders.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you please re-state this metaphor but make it Canadian?

It was a simile, and I was in the middle of writing a thing about Rob Ford for you but then I read that he never resigned.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It's like Rob Ford got off crack to focus on finding more crack.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Personally I'm kinda pissed the "Season 3 Trailer" is 95% just a "Previously on" recapping the Heart of Thorns story.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The 5% of a ship flying into a magic nuke for some reason sure is thrilling though!!!!

e: I hope it's them blowing up Lion's Arch again

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 12, 2016

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Gem Store updates so far today:

-Unbreakable Gathering Tools (basically exact same as normal Pickaxe/Axe/Sickle, just infinite use - no special animation or effect)
2400 Gems for the full set (totals to 200 gems cheaper per tool than buying actual cool gathering tools separately)

-Black Lion Keys & Scraps Package (10 BL keys and 2 Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps
900 Gems (Same price as buying 10 keys only you get TWO SCRAPS TOO!!)

-Shared inventory slot limit upgraded to 13 (14 with the free one from the Lv80 Booster)
700 Gems each

:geno:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lyer posted:

Nice joke post.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Gem Store updates so far today:

-Unbreakable Gathering Tools (basically exact same as normal Pickaxe/Axe/Sickle, just infinite use - no special animation or effect)
2400 Gems for the full set (totals to 200 gems cheaper per tool than buying actual cool gathering tools separately)

-Black Lion Keys & Scraps Package (10 BL keys and 2 Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps
900 Gems (Same price as buying 10 keys only you get TWO SCRAPS TOO!!)

-Shared inventory slot limit upgraded to 13 (14 with the free one from the Lv80 Booster)
700 Gems each

:geno:

The shared inventory slots are absolutely a moneymaker if my own experience is any indicator.Also the upping of the limit by three while simultaneously selling a pack of three tools is absolutely purposeful.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
Who the hell was at the old limit of shared inventory slots and didn't already have unlimited tools in there?

Seriously 10 slots is over $80, and if you're willing to spend that much money on inventory slots you probably have at least one full set of infinite gathering tools and I can't think of 10 other items that have a higher priority for being shared

Also holy poo poo infinite use plain harvesting tools has to be the simplest money printing scheme they've ever had, they don't even need to make new animations! and the punchline to that joke is that people requested that??

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 13, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah but when are they gonna raise the character slot limit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Best use for the free shared inventory slot is still the copper-fed salvage kit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have the kit and and the 1% pass on mine.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Who the hell was at the old limit of shared inventory slots and didn't already have unlimited tools in there?

Seriously 10 slots is over $80, and if you're willing to spend that much money on inventory slots you probably have at least one full set of infinite gathering tools and I can't think of 10 other items that have a higher priority for being shared

Also holy poo poo infinite use plain harvesting tools has to be the simplest money printing scheme they've ever had, they don't even need to make new animations! and the punchline to that joke is that people requested that??
I'm on 10 slots and never even considered using them for the tools. Not everyone runs around harvesting that much on that many different characters, and even if you do having to constantly equip/unequip them like that seems like more hassle than it's worth. I use mine for 4x salvage kits (copper/mystic/BL/ascended), LI and tonic for when i have to pug raids, Black Lion Express, fractal keys, Star of Gratitude and Airship Pass, and if I had more slots I'd use them on the HoT map keys, Bank/Vendor expresses, Executioner's Axe, the home instance express or even certain food/potions that I use on several characters.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i bought 5 on sale i use

perma bank
perma tp
ecto vendor (aka perma merchant but better)
copper salvage kit
mystic forge
1% pass

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
salvage-o-matic, ecto vendor, and 1% pass are all you'll ever need in shared inventory. unless you're lucky enough to get permanent bank access, in which case gently caress you

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Notes from Rata Novus, Part One

Eagerly awaiting the chance to join the terrible legions of the tyrant Plant and crush the nations of the world under his rooted boot

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rip Taimi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xun posted:

Rip Taimi

What have I missed, is she finally dead?!

Ps Cletus if I don't return to gw2 next week my body is in an Amsterdam coffeeshop or canal fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

What have I missed, is she finally dead?!

Ps Cletus if I don't return to gw2 next week my body is in an Amsterdam coffeeshop or canal fyi

Hope so, the thought of having to deal with my "team" of morons for another season (let alone expansions to come) is just depressing.

• Locked thread