Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is there a good free video capturing software for PC? Although I want to do a screenshot LP, I heard it's easier to capture screenshots from a video, plus there are some animated cutscenes I'd like to catch on video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm using OBS studio. I can get lossless video of a window pretty easily. Just make sure you have enough space. I have a 1TB HDD lying around so it's not a problem.

And to get the images from the video, well, AvsPMod feels really good even though I've only used it for one update.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

hopeandjoy posted:

Is there a good free video capturing software for PC? Although I want to do a screenshot LP, I heard it's easier to capture screenshots from a video, plus there are some animated cutscenes I'd like to catch on video.

Definitively OBS studio.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What would be the minimum CPU and RAM requirement for a PC that solely encodes and streams video 720p60 at 3,500 kb/s? I have an old i5-760 lying around, but it's been a major bottleneck in general, so I doubt it'd do the job. Also got some GBs of 1600 RAM.

I'm currently using the i5-760 and 8GB 1600 RAM (and Radeon 270X) on my desktop PC, and there is nowhere near enough CPU juice to both play and record, but maybe the CPU is decent on its own. I doubt it, though, so there's probably an i3 that could do the job on a standalone streaming pc.

I'm using OBS Studio at 720p30@2,800, and I still can't stream without lagging.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 7, 2016

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Do you mean doing videocapture + streaming on the old i5 while playing on console or another computer? It should be more than up to the task if that's the case.

What games are you trying to stream, by the way?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

lohli posted:

Do you mean doing videocapture + streaming on the old i5 while playing on console or another computer? It should be more than up to the task if that's the case.

What games are you trying to stream, by the way?
Yep.

I tried both Overwatch and Alpha Protocol and the latter felt very off and showed ~50% CPU use, so I just need to dedicate the full CPU to the task for it to work I guess. (On the desktop, mind, the streaming PC is just a build I'm pondering the minimal cost of.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 8, 2016

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
What's good for (lossy) compressing extant videos? I'd rather a gui tool over scripts if possible.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If you're really bent on a GUI, try this: https://handbrake.fr/

I haven't tried it because I use a PowerShell script for ffmpeg (honestly that works fine) but I heard good things about it. Also, :france:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm using an Elgato Game Capture device and Elgato's Game Capture HD software to record PS3 videos along with Voicemeeter to loop the audio through my microphone to send it to my co-commentators.

As of tonight, having Voicemeeter running causes my capture software to freeze up. The video preview in the software slows to a crawl and I can't record anything.

Anyone know what the problem might be and/or how I might be able to fix it?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
What does your CPU usage look like when this is happening?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It doesn't really change. My capture software uses 35-40% before I open Voicemeeter and about the same after, but the picture slows to a crawl.

My passthrough still works perfectly, which I think I pretty bizarre.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
How about this: are you using a USB mic and did you change the USB ports where things are plugged in?

The Elgato has to send data to the computer via USB and I guess it's conceptually possible that if both it and a microphone are using the same USB host, it could overwhelm the available bandwidth and slow everything down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I am using a USB headset and I may have plugged it into a different USB port, but the Elgato is plugged into a port in the back and my headset into the front.

Should I try unplugging every USB cable and reattaching them?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately, pretty much. It's really hard to figure out what USB ports are connected to which physical hosts.

The easiest method is to plug one into a USB 3 port and the other into a USB 2 port since those are guaranteed to be different hosts.

It's really the only thing I can think of that would explain why it used to work and why it suddenly stopped.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Some Numbers posted:

It doesn't really change. My capture software uses 35-40% before I open Voicemeeter and about the same after, but the picture slows to a crawl.

My passthrough still works perfectly, which I think I pretty bizarre.

Pass through working fine is not bizarre, the signal is passed through without any processing.

I found the elgato software to be garbage. The separate elgato audio program especially, I had to close that completely every time the computer woke up otherwise it'd just hang forever.

Try obs and see if that works.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Xenoveritas posted:

Unfortunately, pretty much. It's really hard to figure out what USB ports are connected to which physical hosts.

The easiest method is to plug one into a USB 3 port and the other into a USB 2 port since those are guaranteed to be different hosts.

It's really the only thing I can think of that would explain why it used to work and why it suddenly stopped.

Okay, changing my headset's USB port worked perfectly. Thanks!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I have a half-hardware half-software related question in terms of console recording.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 that records at 60fps. Works fine in most cases but in terms of fast-paced games or ones with color, the recording software for this card is kinda garbage; two of the three codecs used don't work with most editing softwares due to variable frame rate and the 3rd one has issues dealing with fast movement in vibrantly colored areas.

My question is thus: I can run this capture card's data through OBS and also record through that. will the video quality be any different/better or does it still use the codecs from the capture software to transmit the video data to OBS?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Highwang posted:

My question is thus: I can run this capture card's data through OBS and also record through that. will the video quality be any different/better or does it still use the codecs from the capture software to transmit the video data to OBS?
The codecs only appear to be used when actually generating the output files, so switching to OBS should not default you to the weird Hauppauge encoder set, no. For whatever reason Hauppauge Capture seems to do something odd with indexing that makes it so that only the software itself can properly playback its clips without any weird desync or graphical artifacts.

Switching over to OBS and just adding it in there as a Video Capture Device has been working well for me thus far. Just remember to set the video encoding options you need or want properly in OBS's Output (bitrate, encoder settings) and Video (resolution, fps) settings tabs before you actually start recording.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 12, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Run the VFR footage through Handbrake first. I had a similar problem several months back and ultimately that turned out to be the thing that worked for me.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You're still double-encoding when you do that.

I do actually have a solution that allows you to use variable frame rate video in Adobe Premier (well, Premier Elements but it should also work in Premier) via FFMS2 and AviSynth but it's incredibly hacky and really slow.

It involves a virtual file system that presents AVS files as uncompressed AVIs to Premier. Which works. Almost.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nvidia Share has now ruined two let's play recording sessions by corrupting hours' worth of video files upon the recording being stopped. The first time, I lost three hours of video and now I have proof that it wasn't just a fluke. I am now doubling down on my previous advice of using literally anything else and now it's not just because of the crappy interface.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 17, 2016

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Highwang posted:

I have a half-hardware half-software related question in terms of console recording.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 that records at 60fps. Works fine in most cases but in terms of fast-paced games or ones with color, the recording software for this card is kinda garbage; two of the three codecs used don't work with most editing softwares due to variable frame rate and the 3rd one has issues dealing with fast movement in vibrantly colored areas.

You can do this via workaround in which you capture the preview window & incorporate an audio delay setting but its more trouble than its actually worth I think.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The audio on my DXtory recordings gets desynced over time, seemingly regardless of what codecs I'm using and what options I have selected. I thought I fixed it by switching from Lagarith to UTVideo because the 73-minute recording I did the other day has no desync at all, but the 107-minute video I recorded today once again goes out of sync after an hour or so.

I'm assuming this is happening because I'm recording at 60 fps and the game can't quite keep up a consistent 60, so the audio gets slightly ahead of the video after a while. I suppose I could try recording at 30 fps (and/or try OBS again) and see how that turns out. It's not a massive deal either way because I can easily sync it back up in Vegas, but still a bit annoying.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Nvidia Share has now ruined two let's play recording sessions by corrupting hours' worth of video files upon the recording being stopped. The first time, I lost three hours of video and now I have proof that it wasn't just a fluke. I am now doubling down on my previous advice of using literally anything else and now it's not just because of the crappy interface.

Does it produce files? Do they have a reasonable size?
If so, it's probably possible to rescue it one way or another.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

nielsm posted:

There are a bunch of video file repair tools that try to extract the data from unplayable files, might lose a tiny amount of each video file(where poo poo is garbled for a second but otherwise plays through properly).

They're largely geared towards making playable files recorded on cameras(and usually want a comparable working video to get container info from) that had their recording interrupted due to power running out or something.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What video players have you tried playing the file in?

Apparently some video players just ignore the audio timestamps because certain broken encoders create files with entirely bogus timestamps. This causes the audio to desync when the timestamps are legitimately off.

I have a solution using FFMpeg to generate a new audio track assuming that's the case. You'd have to remux them together somehow, but I've used it to rescue desynced ShadowPlay videos in the past.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I've watched the videos in Media Player Classic (x64) and VLC, and when I drop the file into Vegas and play it there it's desynced as well. From a bit of googling, it appears that this is just something that happens with DXtory recordings for some people and nobody seems to have figured out a reliable way to fix it. :saddowns: Recording in 30 fps didn't help either.

Well, like I said it's really not a big deal to sync it back up in Vegas. I'll give OBS another go at some point, the last time I used it Vegas didn't like the file very much and the colors were all hosed up.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, like I said it's really not a big deal to sync it back up in Vegas. I'll give OBS another go at some point, the last time I used it Vegas didn't like the file very much and the colors were all hosed up.

If you go for MP4 files and the Nvidia encoder you should be fine. These are my settings and I've never had a problem (I don't use Vegas but PowerDirector instead, and the files play on every single player I've tried so Vegas should be fine) :

This produces videos with pretty much no loss of quality (with two audio tracks in my case, one for the game and the second for the mic).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, it seems I had the wrong settings in OBS (or OBS Studio, which is what I have) and now Vegas no longer throws a fit when I drop one of my OBS recordings in there. Using NVENC and h264 should make things easier for me in general, since I won't need to constantly make space for 300-gig Lagarith files. :v: Cheers!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What do you use to test your mic level when recording and/or streaming to Twitch with OBS Studio?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nielsm posted:

lohli posted:

There are a bunch of video file repair tools that try to extract the data from unplayable files, might lose a tiny amount of each video file(where poo poo is garbled for a second but otherwise plays through properly).

They're largely geared towards making playable files recorded on cameras(and usually want a comparable working video to get container info from) that had their recording interrupted due to power running out or something.

It does create finished files that are the usual size, they're just not playable in any media player and WMP specifically says they are corrupted. I've tried fixing them with third-party programs and they haven't worked, so instead of bothering with that I've decided to just record with OBS instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Use FLV instead of MP4 when using OBS, it handles crashes and incomplete files a lot, lot better. I lost two hours of footage to MP4 settings once.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Suspicious Dish posted:

Use FLV instead of MP4 when using OBS, it handles crashes and incomplete files a lot, lot better. I lost two hours of footage to MP4 settings once.

I actually have a question relating to that since I used .FLV to avoid loss.
...How the gently caress do I use .FLV in anything? Otherwise, is there a good way to convert .FLV to .MP4 after the fact?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Throw it through handbrake, that can go from FLV to MP4.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Steak Eater posted:

...How the gently caress do I use .FLV in anything? Otherwise, is there a good way to convert .FLV to .MP4 after the fact?
Avisynth and ffmpegsounce handles flv's just fine.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Or just remux it with ffmpeg to a container your program of choice prefers, fast and lossless.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Steak Eater posted:

FLV is just a container format. You can demux the video and audio tracks and remux them into MP4 and vice-versa.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So MeGUI has decided to be an rear end in a top hat and I cannot encode a recording of VisualBoy Advance without it becoming a bloated, incorrect monstrosity. The raw file plays fine (though I'm guessing that's what's broken). Aegisub plays it fine. MeGUI does not. The video file doesn't encode properly at all, the subtitles all play within the first frame of the video, and the audio takes F O R E V E R to encode. (It may not even do it correctly. I dunno. I didn't wait to find out) I'm guessing it's the raw file OBS is spitting out, since MeGUI can still encode my old projects perfectly fine.

Basically what I'm asking here is: what is the best way for OBS to record VisualBoy Advance OR what is the best way to turn a .vbm movie file into a video.

EDIT: I'm wondering if I should use VBA's "Export to AVI" feature but I'm not sure what codec to use (Uncompressed frames would probably be a nightmare) and it takes much longer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What version of VBA are you using? Regular VBA has issues with AVI recording. Here's a few recommendations of what GBA emulator you should use from the sandcastle:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Bizhawk with the mGBA core.

Mega64 posted:

VBA-rr works well for me.

Also, when it comes to codecs for recording, I'd say go for Lagarith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

"Isn't there a codec missing from this list? I could have sworn there was one I was supposed to use, but I can't find it or remember it." - me, a few hours ago

Thanks for the Lagarith recommendation, worked like a charm. (I'm using VBA-rr, for the record)