Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Chomskyan posted:

600 posts since I went to bed last night

What happened?

Corbyn is on the leadership ballot due to being the incumbent. People were losing theirs minds up until that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Election is to be held on the 21st of September. Yeah this is going to be all Labour does for the next two months, hope you weren't expecting anything else.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Namtab posted:

Would the £25 be a one off or would I be expected to keep paying £25

A one off

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
in summary:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Fans posted:

Labour will allow registered supporters to sign up for £25 from 18-20 July.
Lol, those 3 days are going to be a complete clusterfuck.

Fans posted:

Election is to be held on the 21st of September. Yeah this is going to be all Labour does for the next two months, hope you weren't expecting anything else.
Guess this actually puts the registration deadline at March 21, then? Not that I think it'll matter very much, not much really happened re: Labour membership between January and Brexit...

waffle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2016

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

TinTower posted:

Serious question: why is Labour membership so expensive?

Like, seriously, even Labour's concessionary fee is only a quid shy of the standard Tory membership fee.

you're subsidising the discounted memberships

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Desiderata posted:

But but what about the fine people who signed up due to the "Saving Labour" campaign?

I guess they're banking on those fine folks being able to afford 25£.

Chomskyan posted:

600 posts since I went to bed last night

What happened?

Labour right too incompetent to pull off a stitch-up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

Like, seriously, even Labour's concessionary fee is only a quid shy of the standard Tory membership fee.

Labour draws the majority of its funding from members and unions, the tories just do it to keep the poors out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fans posted:

I'll have been registered over 6 months by then

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also all Leadership candidates need to be announced by August the 15th. So they've got just over a month to find someone who isn't Angela Eagle.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just hope I can vote on £3 a month I'm a nurse not some rich fucker who can afford £25 for a franchise

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Desiderata posted:

But but what about the fine people who signed up due to the "Saving Labour" campaign?

Both of them got shafted too.

Oh dear me posted:

Yes I want him to push the Labour Party back to the left, get left wing ideas heard again, and explore new ways of educating people in them. I'd also like him to weaken the power of the PLP and get members more influence over policy.

A side-effect of this whole thing is more people are more clued up on how a political party actually works. Between seeing that the party isn't just an amorphous blob and that the reactionary part of it actually aren't that good at anything it's like, I don't know, there's a psychological barrier between actually getting involved that isn't there any more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

Also all Leadership candidates need to be announced by August the 15th. So they've got just over a month to find someone who isn't Angela Eagle.
Can the election go ahead with just Corbyn on ballot? Because that's about what we're looking at here.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

coffeetable posted:

you're subsidising the discounted memberships

Said discounted membership is only a couple of Mars bars cheaper than a Tory membership.

And the Tories only provide discounts to Are Boys and to students.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Said discounted membership is only a couple of Mars bars cheaper than a Tory membership.

The Tories also have absolute shitloads of donors paying a lot, lot more so they can have dinner with Gideon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Free market supply and demand. Nobody wants to join the Tories.

e: 'dinner'

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

How much is lib dem membership

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

you are supporting the parties ability to offer discounted memberships, as well as somewhat offsetting the massive difference in the ability of Tory voters to donate to the party in the runup to an election compared to Labour voters.

The difference in the depth of their promotional warchest is not insignificant. Say for example that there was a snap election, the Tories would be able to receive much more financial support from their members in donations than Labour from sources such as hedge funds. The unions are a source of money, but their pockets are not nearly as deep as those of hedgefunds.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Namtab posted:

£12 minimum standard, £6 concessionary.

I could join my parents up to the Lib Dems with me and still have just enough for a Wetherspoons Curry Club for the price of one Labour concessionary membership.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Namtab posted:

I just checked, and it's half as much.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So with the election being a for real thing at last, does this mean we live in the timeline where the phrase "The Eagle has Flown the Coup" never features in the political sphere?

Truly, we live in the darkest timeline.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Fans posted:

Does Tom Watson have to resign the deputy position to stand for leader? Or can he run and just give up the deputyship if he wins?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TinTower posted:

£12 minimum standard, £6 concessionary.

I could join my parents up to the Lib Dems with me and still have just enough for a Wetherspoons Curry Club for the price of one Labour concessionary membership.

That would mean being in the lib dems though. Not that I could afford that either with my crippling student loan debt.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

Did they manage to keep half of their campaign promises?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Namtab posted:

One immortal soul

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
id figuratively rather die

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Get what you pay for.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
My membership of the Scottish Greens is £5; its one for students that I probably ought to upgrade; but I don't have a job at the moment and its not due for another ten months so I'll wait a bit. Our thing is on a sliding scale based on income, the upper bands are much higher than a Labour membership but its all self-reported so people probably lie...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a good deal, a quid fifty per lib dem mp

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
EFB

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 12, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

and 9000 pounds per year of uni

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Namtab posted:

which makes a member of the plp worth just under 21p which seems p fair to me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So what's the appeal of the liberal democrats in tyool 2016

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Just joined the Labour party an hour ago. Can I still vote for Corbs if I cough up 25 pounds?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

hipster cred

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

hipster cred

I liked them after they were cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Trying to reverse Brexit. It's a hilariously impossible dream, but a seductive one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

They're pretty good on supporting civil liberties and opposing prohibition, on paper at least. otoh Orange Book.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

It isn't? Standard rate is like 4 quid a month. The 25 quid isn't the standard membership fee, it's the fast-track 'I want to vote in this leadership election specifically' levy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Miftan posted:

Just joined the Labour party an hour ago. Can I still vote for Corbs if I cough up 25 pounds?

Yes

• Locked thread