Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
IMO you can spend a lot on speakers (especially ones that will effortlessly fill a large space) before diminishing returns kick in. You have to be well into thousands before price performance really start to level off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-black-quantum-fuses

Graphene! Quantum!!!

TBF at least this still beats the maniacs who will run amps unfused and blow them up

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

quote:

the BLACK Fuses are treated with 2 Million volts of electricity

Sure they are.

Even if you could use graphene as a conductor in a fuse (you would never do this), its resistivity is 1×10^−8 Ωm.
A fuse might be 1mm˛ and 10mm long.

resistance = resistivity x ( length / area )
= 1×10^−8 x ( 0.001 / 0.00001 )
= 0.000001 Ω

current = voltage / resistance
= 2x10^6 / 0.000001
= 2 TRILLION AMPS

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think they just painted a standard fuse with bedliner and called it good :v:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Sure they are.

Even if you could use graphene as a conductor in a fuse (you would never do this), its resistivity is 1×10^−8 Ωm.
A fuse might be 1mm² and 10mm long.

resistance = resistivity x ( length / area )
= 1×10^−8 x ( 0.001 / 0.00001 )
= 0.000001 Ω

current = voltage / resistance
= 2x10^6 / 0.000001
= 2 TRILLION AMPS

Your math is as bad as your understanding of graphene

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1mm˛ is one hell of a fat fuse wire.

Try more like 0.1mm˛, or less.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Wouldn't a graphene fuse be a single chain of atoms? That's the benefit, right?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Spazzle posted:

Your math is as bad as your understanding of graphene

It's true I don't know anything about graphene, but what's wrong with the math?

KozmoNaut posted:

1mm˛ is one hell of a fat fuse wire.

Try more like 0.1mm˛, or less.

Worked it out with that and you still get 20 million amps. Either way they are not treating these fuses with 2 million volts :v:

edit: also they'll need a pretty fat fuse wire if they're going to be putting 2 trillion amps through it.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're missing the point that it's absolutely no problem putting thousands or even millions of volts across a fuse, since your amperage is limited by your supply.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 6, 2016

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It's true I don't know anything about graphene, but what's wrong with the math?

Worked it out with that and you still get 20 million amps. Either way they are not treating these fuses with 2 million volts :v:

edit: also they'll need a pretty fat fuse wire if they're going to be putting 2 trillion amps through it.

10 mm is 0.01 m, not 0.001. 1 mm^2 is 10^-6m^2, not 10^-5. Graphene is usually atomic layers thick, so less than 10^-9m. The cross-sectional area of a graphene wire would probably be less than 10^-15m^2.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

You're missing the point that it's absolutely no problem putting thousands or even millions of volts across a fuse, since your amperage is limited by your supply.

But then you're not putting a high voltage through it either. Lets say you have a power supply capable of 80A and a 0.1ohm short circuit:
V=IR
=80x 0.1
=8V

Anyway, this is all academic because this company is not putting 2 million volts across any of their fuses. People talk about these fuses being "zapped by a tesla coil".

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc082912.shtml

quote:

I think the quantum tunneling on a Tesla coil is key to the sound of these fuses, and the consumer can only get it from SR with their third generation Tesla Coil. This, of course, leaves little choice. These fuses are at about the same price point as other audiophile fuses. I am a sucker for the thrill of hearing a sound that suggests I am at the recording venue. These fuses allow my equipment to yield such a holographic image. The sound is open, effortless, defined, extended, detailed, and most importantly realistic.

I guess what they're doing is leaving the fuses in a room with a running tesla coil, and somehow the fuses are imbued with this magic quantum tunnelling property, kind of like how homeopathy doesn't work.

Spazzle posted:

10 mm is 0.01 m, not 0.001. 1 mm^2 is 10^-6m^2, not 10^-5. Graphene is usually atomic layers thick, so less than 10^-9m. The cross-sectional area of a graphene wire would probably be less than 10^-15m^2.

Cool thanks!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2

How can one person write this much bullshit, and actually believe it himself?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2

How can one person write this much bullshit, and actually believe it himself?

The AD797 he's creaming over appears to be a mike preamp chip...I guess two of them could make a headphone amp though?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/AD797BRZ/?qs=/tpEQrCGXCwnXZ1Ropaiug==

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tell me about Dolby Atmos. Do I deserve to die for even mentioning such gimmicky nonsense in the prescence of goony audiophiles?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

codo27 posted:

Tell me about Dolby Atmos. Do I deserve to die for even mentioning such gimmicky nonsense in the prescence of goony audiophiles?

You only have two ears, so yes. Hara-kiri is your only option now

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

codo27 posted:

Have generally heard really good things, so my next receiver will probably be one of the Pioneer ones with it and I'll add the extra speakers bit by bit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have generally heard really good things, so my next receiver will probably be one of the Pioneer ones with it and I'll add the extra speakers bit by bit.

Personally I haven't quite been wowed by Atmos or DTS-X yet, not even when I watched The Revenant in a brand new top of the line cinema with a full Atmos setup. The electric recliners were super nice, though.

Then again, I've never really been wowed by surround sound in the first place, so take that as you will.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Surround replicates for a group what good stereo already does for one person. What I'm saying is unless your friends chip in for your audio system, gently caress 'em :v:

What's the minimum number of speakers for Atmos? It seems neat for a dedicated theater space but utter overkill for an average home theater in a shared space.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I thought the big deal with Atmos was supposed to be that it could scale surround sound information gracefully to wildly different physical speaker layouts that theaters already have? Not so much that it sounded particularly better on its own, just that it could mean a theater chain sends out one digital movie to all its theaters rather than multiple formats encoded to match up to the speaker layouts in each physical theater better.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If you have enough speakers I guess it's supposed to be able to move sounds around with great precision too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've always favoured ceiling mount, downward firing surrounds generally anyway. Atmos is exactly that though, atmospheric effects rather than directional stuff like surrounds that never really works in a theatre anyway due to the large number of seats in there.

I imagine a home setup could be really nice though, a full surround setup with a set of 2/4 ceiling mounts adding general ambience.

I'm more interested in this kinda thing though for Dolby Atmos: https://ukf.com/words/dolby-atmos-the-revolution-of-the-sound-system/15029

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMR5iWG1UI4

quote:

I made a synth lead travel across the ceiling from front to back then go into a circular pattern. I also made accelerating risers that spiral upwards like a helicopter rotor. In other instances, I allowed a sound to just sit in a space doing it’s thing – the novelty of hearing music in this way is almost impressive enough even without the complex motion panning.

After spending time in the Dolby studio we found that the Dolby Atmos feature is particularly cool when it comes to things like percussion tail-offs, because you can make them spin around people’s heads and sweep around the room, which sounds wicked. It’s been a case of trying to figure out which parts of tunes will sound coolest with the full surround sound applied to them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Edit: Thanks for the advice/redirect.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Either find one on Craigslist or Ebay or whatever or replace the whole thing. Soundbar sets aren't really intended to allow pieces to be swapped.

EDIT: This is not the right thread for this. Go here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently music sounds best in JRiver when the embedded coverart is 800x600 or smaller. This, and many other very interesting findings are covered here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0716/Why_Do_WAV_And_FLAC_Files_Sound_Different.htm

:psyduck:

E:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 12, 2016

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Jesus christ. This is the only possible response.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The audiophoolery, it's coming from INSIDE the thread!

Never let your cats make your hifi purchasing decisions:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Unity Gain posted:

The audiophoolery, it's coming from INSIDE the thread!

Never let your cats make your hifi purchasing decisions:

your love of EL lighting is doing a number on your wallet

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I still blame the cats :smith:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Now that it's done, will there be an unboxing?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Ooooh sorry. I actually got it a few months ago, so it's already set up:

No, I can't hear things in the music I never heard before, but everything certainly sounds good! No it's not "the best sounding" gear anywhere ever, and I am very well aware that I paid a hefty premium for pretty meters and the McIntosh name. But I do very much like the sound, having auditioned tons of stuff before pulling the trigger. I haven't splurged on myself in well over a decade, and I am well aware that the purchase was driven more by psychology than audio engineering. That said, the setup makes me happy and I enjoy both looking at it and listening to it, and it's nice to have some happiness in my life again :unsmith:

I run a few other things into it, and the cables are all bog standard off-the-shelf.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently music sounds best in JRiver when the embedded coverart is 800x600 or smaller. This, and many other very interesting findings are covered here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0716/Why_Do_WAV_And_FLAC_Files_Sound_Different.htm

E:

This is amazing.

"The burden [flac conversion, decoding jpegs and reading metadata] presents to the computer “would not even be remotely noticeable” was the usual refrain. On the other hand, many manufacturers of high performance audio servers and audio programmers disagree with this point of view. They remain convinced that it is small variations in computer-generated noise that significantly disrupts replay sound quality."

Lol I wonder why audio companies might say things like this.

If you ask the J River guys about stuff like this, they will not engage you, and threads like this on their forums often get closed.

Unity Gain posted:

I am well aware that the purchase was driven more by psychology than audio engineering. That said, the setup makes me happy and I enjoy both looking at it and listening to it, and it's nice to have some happiness in my life again :unsmith:

This is the way to do audio in my opinion. Be aware of psychoacoustics, find gear that makes you smile for some reason, and your music will sound better. McIntosh gear always makes me smile for some reason!

Edit:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 13, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Unity Gain posted:

Ooooh sorry. I actually got it a few months ago, so it's already set up:

No, I can't hear things in the music I never heard before, but everything certainly sounds good! No it's not "the best sounding" gear anywhere ever, and I am very well aware that I paid a hefty premium for pretty meters and the McIntosh name. But I do very much like the sound, having auditioned tons of stuff before pulling the trigger. I haven't splurged on myself in well over a decade, and I am well aware that the purchase was driven more by psychology than audio engineering. That said, the setup makes me happy and I enjoy both looking at it and listening to it, and it's nice to have some happiness in my life again :unsmith:

I run a few other things into it, and the cables are all bog standard off-the-shelf.

self_aware_audiophile.txt :v:

Hey if it sounds good and makes you happy that's what matters. That being said - will it really bump out 50W?

e: oh, it's basically an integrated amp even though it just says "headphone amp"?

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 13, 2016

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

This is the way to do audio in my opinion. Be aware of psychoacoustics, find gear that makes you smile for some reason, and your music will sound better. McIntosh gear always makes me smile for some reason!

Yeah, it's a good way to approach evaluating luxury goods of any kind. The three pillars: psychological, aesthetic, technical. My daily drivers are $90 Onkyo bass cannon IEMs :shrug: I've been wanting a McIntosh "something" for like 35 years now, ever since I saw a big rear end McAmp in the window of Lyric Hi-Fi in NYC when I was in high school.

Foot for scale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I listened to a friend's Dolby Atmos home theater. It's really only good in the sweet spot and the rainstorm demo sounded okay but didn't blow me away.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Josh Lyman posted:

I listened to a friend's Dolby Atmos home theater. It's really only good in the sweet spot and the rainstorm demo sounded okay but didn't blow me away.

That is....exactly the opposite of what I would expect. Shouldn't a massive array of speakers like that have a pretty generous sweet spot?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

That is....exactly the opposite of what I would expect. Shouldn't a massive array of speakers like that have a pretty generous sweet spot?
He just had 2 extra ceiling speakers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

Do you need to use the "auto-level" function with a mic to get the best performance?

I've got an older Dennon receiver/amp that I set up that way with a 5.1 system and it let me set 3 or four listening spots. Made a massive difference over using the old earballs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I wonder if he still needs to calibrate it. I know Denon has had multi-point calibration forever but no idea on other manufacturers.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Panty Saluter posted:

self_aware_audiophile.txt :v:

I won't deny that the cognitive dissonance sometimes causes signal noise :haw:

Panty Saluter posted:

Hey if it sounds good and makes you happy that's what matters. That being said - will it really bump out 50W?

Believe it or not...I'm not using the speaker outs yet! I've got the pre-outs going unbalanced into a tiny Mackie mixer which is then balanced connected to a pair of self-powered Event 20/20 studio monitors from ca. 1996

I actually want speakers, and listened to a bunch from $500-$2,500. Was happiest with B&W 685 S2 (around $700-$800 for the pair) because they had very nice mids and a more subdued treble. The more expensive speakers were more "resolving" and "detailed" but I really am not a fan of sharp treble.

So yeah, I'm dying to hear how the amp sounds. I'll probably get the speakers before the summer is out but :effort:.

This is also why I asked here about bi-wiring, which the 685s can do. I was interested in the thread's opinion, which was basically to just use plain old 2x2, so that's the way I'm gonna go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

KozmoNaut posted:

E:

I thought this was about, like, a glitch in the conversion program that only occurred with cover art. Instead I got :psyduck:.