Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
A reasonable explanation I've heard for Pharah is that she grew up around Overwatch people and so didn't really assimilate into Egyptian culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

gently caress you if you want 21:9 or greater than 103 FOV

Whether they'll comment on the frame/refresh rate advantage they do support remains to be seen.

So wait... Are 21:9 players losing visual space off the top and bottom with this...? Like we won't be able to see as high or low as 16:9?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

Not sure why people are surprised they're not adding options for a tiny fraction of players with monitors bigger than makes any drat sense.

How's that 4:3 monitor working out for you? Why would they support a monitor with a higher refresh rate than makes any drat sense?

Internet Explorer posted:

So wait... Are 21:9 players losing visual space off the top and bottom with this...? Like we won't be able to see as high or low as 16:9?

Correct. The current implementation chops off over 30% of your view. You can't see nearly as high or below you as someone playing in a 16:9 ratio

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ils posted:

I love that Mercy actually got a decent buff on PTR. I barely notice the increased Resurrect charge time. The first one comes a little later, but after that, no sweat.

Bastion/S76/Pharah are monsters when damage boosted now.

damage boost a mccree

each fan shot does 67.5 damage when boosted. keep in mind that before the nerf, each shot did 70. it's not quite the full return to glory (especially since he needs a mercy or for the other guy to be discorded) but it is still about 400 damage for the full fan and a guaranteed kill on any stunned 200 health hero

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!
So is Reinhardt/Roadhog/Soldier/Mercy/Lucio/Zenyatta totally workable now for attack on Payload maps / Assault maps?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Their implementation of 21:9 is pretty bad. Anyone who's played a cropped 16:9 knows how cramped and in your face it feels. If they're going to be this stubborn, they should just keep the black bars as the "default" support.

https://imgur.com/a/9lDcT

ils
Jan 22, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

damage boost a mccree

each fan shot does 67.5 damage when boosted. keep in mind that before the nerf, each shot did 70. it's not quite the full return to glory (especially since he needs a mercy or for the other guy to be discorded) but it is still about 400 damage for the full fan and a guaranteed kill on any stunned 200 health hero

Now I just need people to start playing McCree again. I'm sure he'll have a bit of a revival with his buff.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Their implementation of 21:9 is pretty bad. Anyone who's played a cropped 16:9 knows how cramped and in your face it feels. If they're going to be this stubborn, they should just keep the black bars as the "default" support.

I guess 4:3 monitors are better

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Manatee Cannon posted:

damage boost a mccree

What's more worrying about damage boosting a McCree is that now he one shots anyone lower then 220 HP at like 35 feet. Mercy turns him into a hitscan Hanzo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What's more worrying about damage boosting a McCree is that now he one shots anyone lower then 220 HP at like 35 feet. Mercy turns him into a hitscan Hanzo.

o for sure, mccree's primary fire doing 105 damage to the body while boosted is insane. he can 2 shot 200 health classes to the body at range and use the old standard fan-roll-fan to kill literally anything at close range again. he can be stronger now than he ever was so long as a mercy is damage boosting him. god help you if you find a damage boosted mccree and get discorded

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Manatee Cannon posted:

o for sure, mccree's primary fire doing 105 damage to the body while boosted is insane. he can 2 shot 200 health classes to the body at range and use the old standard fan-roll-fan to kill literally anything at close range again. he can be stronger now than he ever was so long as a mercy is damage boosting him. god help you if you find a damage boosted mccree and get discorded

We ran into a group of 70+ players in a quickplay while we were just doing a warmup game a week ago. They were running reinhardt/zarya/zenyatta/mercy/mcree/hanzo and we got pushed into spawn because the mcree was damage boosted and he just shot whoever the zenyatta discorded. It was terrible and we all went tracer just to see how long we could live against them (not very.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get why they buffed Mercy's damage boost. It was already good. you don't nerf an op ability and then buff one that was perfectly fine.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Doesn't work. It just crops top and bottom.

Wait... what? What is "it" in this sentence? Setting the res to typical 21:9 res on a smaller monitor?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Essobie posted:

Wait... what? What is "it" in this sentence? Setting the res to typical 21:9 res on a smaller monitor?

Read the damned thread. Posted literally this page, a little further up. Blizzard will not support any FOV greater than 103, and so playing at aspect ratios wider than 16:9, the game will crop the top and bottom of your image to fill the screen.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

How's that 4:3 monitor working out for you? Why would they support a monitor with a higher refresh rate than makes any drat sense?

Correct. The current implementation chops off over 30% of your view. You can't see nearly as high or below you as someone playing in a 16:9 ratio

16:9 actually.

I'm sorry Blizz doesn't want the few people who actually own a 21:9 to have a significant advantage over everyone else with their FOV.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

https://gfycat.com/GrimyMenacingAfricanaugurbuzzard
VERY fast omnic running at incredible hihg speed

Holy poo poo.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

strong bird posted:

I wouldn't call it useless either, but, then again, what you're describing is a fantasy scenario

It tends to be how I play D.Va all the time, but only really on Nepal and Lijang Towers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why they buffed Mercy's damage boost. It was already good. you don't nerf an op ability and then buff one that was perfectly fine.

it won't make it past the test server, too many things can get killed in 1 hit the way things are. soldier's helix rocket and pharah/junkrat's primary do 240 damage to discorded enemies while damage boosted. a fully charged boosted widow headshot does 450 damage before discord, 600 after. she can oneshot a roadhog from full health! a fully charged bodyshot does the same damage as those explosives I mentioned before btw (120) so widow can bodyshot discorded enemies to death all day every day because the damage boost+debuff is gonna do 240 damage. firestrike will max out at 200 (not sure if junkrat's conc is boosted, but if it is? that's 200 damage max as well)

obviously the discord+damage boost won't be a scenario that happens all the time, but when it happens to you? you're dead, full stop

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

it won't make it past the test server

Watch it happen anyway.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

nanoboosted mercybuffed reinhardt with orb does more than 250 damage with left click

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean past a certain point I wonder how plausible some of these super support combos will actually be in practice.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And he's one of Blizzard's regular go-to guys. He's like five Hearthstone cards including the once beloved and feared Grim Patron.

Holy poo poo, I can't unhear it now

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

old mercy buffs were additive if you had more than one mercy (2 mercies are 160% damage), but different damage buffs on live are multiplicative (mercy and zen are 195%)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

they could cut mercy's pistol damage I guess. As of now you need to blue buff someone doing 333 damage per second to match it. On the PTR, they only need to do 200 to match it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

I mean past a certain point I wonder how plausible some of these super support combos will actually be in practice.

what are you talking about the new competitive meta is going to obviously be mercy damage+discord+nanoboost widowmakers popping headshots for 1200 damage it just makes sense

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kaleedity posted:

old mercy buffs were additive if you had more than one mercy (2 mercies are 160% damage), but different damage buffs on live are multiplicative (mercy and zen are 195%)

that's good to know, firestrike doing 195 (and thus not oneshotting 200 health characters) and widow's maxed out headshot doing 585 (and thus not oneshotting roadhog) are important distinctions. tho in practice I don't think it changes much for the other characters. 195% of 120 is still 234 damage and mccree's fan doing 526.5 damage instead of 540 doesn't amount to much (maybe rein'd survive since he has some armor? idk)

they'd have to reduce it by more I think, but mccree'd still oneshot 200 health heroes to the head with mercy's buff alone. the combo'd be 136.5 damage, which'd still oneshot the same things on a headshot compared to the 140 it'd be doing with 200% damage

Kai Tave posted:

the problem is more that it can happen at all because it's lame to get oneshot by basically anything unless you're, like, roadhog. and keep in mind that the mercy boost is insane in and of itself. widow+mercy alone is 450 damage per headshot, mccree fan is 405 damage, pharah/junkrat do 180 on a direct, roadhog can do over 300 damage in one hit, etc

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So when does my favorite robot yoga instructor receive his buff?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

what are you talking about the new competitive meta is going to obviously be mercy damage+discord+nanoboost widowmakers popping headshots for 1200 damage it just makes sense

I mean on the gripping hand, Seagull almost always has a Mercy pocketing him, so Mercy-nanoboosted Genji ults are probably a real beast if you have that one really good player in your team that can benefit from an "okay now everybody buff the carry" approach.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

I mean on the gripping hand, Seagull almost always has a Mercy pocketing him, so Mercy-nanoboosted Genji ults are probably a real beast if you have that one really good player in your team that can benefit from an "okay now everybody buff the carry" approach.

I only read the first book, how's the second?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

:rip: Double Zarya, you were too good for this world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
4 gold as D.va :eyepop:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was watching AnneMunition and she said she's playing competitive on the test server because every quick play match has three Ana players on each team. I see why they made competitive one hero per side now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I was watching AnneMunition and she said she's playing competitive on the test server because every quick play match has three Ana players on each team. I see why they made competitive one hero per side now.
It wouldn't stay like that, though. Its just an artifact of everyone wanting to play with Ana.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In other news
https://gfycat.com/GrimyMenacingAfricanaugurbuzzard
VERY fast omnic running at incredible hihg speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX7zPlQjAr8

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, so not only is the top and bottom cropped... but you don't actually get more peripheral view on the sides? You literally lose sight by having 21:9 over 16:9. So they don't want to give 21:9 players an advantage, but they'll give them a disadvantage? How unbelievably dumb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wow, so not only is the top and bottom cropped... but you don't actually get more peripheral view on the sides? You literally lose sight by having 21:9 over 16:9. So they don't want to give 21:9 players an advantage, but they'll give them a disadvantage? How unbelievably dumb.

They still have the letterboxing open to them as an option, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So who should I pick to try to counteract a four mei and a lucio team on lijang tower because I certainly couldn't figure it out before we lost pretty hard

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They still have the letterboxing open to them as an option, right?

Yes, if you select 16:9 as your display ratio

Of course. It gives too much advantage playing with a little more periphery. But if you can spend tons of money on 144Hz+...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ils posted:

Now I just need people to start playing McCree again. I'm sure he'll have a bit of a revival with his buff.

I play a lot of McCree and this buff is great. You can now sit outside Roadhog's hook range and plug him in the head for full damage and the stupid fat man can't do a drat thing about it. Pharah is also a joke now, too. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, if you select 16:9 as your display ratio

Of course. It gives too much advantage playing with a little more periphery. But if you can spend tons of money on 144Hz+...

On the screenshots you posted, I don't see any advantage on the periphery. You seem the same exactly left and right, but lose up and down.