Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
annnnd one more lol:
https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/752919036032409602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
We should really just have one big downballot thread. Alas, thats not the way it went. Probably due to the original nature of this subforum needing more content.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If someone wants to start one with an updated OP I'll close this one and point at the new one. IDGAF

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Can't you just merge the house thread into this one? It doesn't get a lot of replies outside of me and oystertoadfish. if not I'll try making an OP later tonight.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

From everything I've heard about Indiana it's a stealth pick for worst state in the country.

You would be incorrect. The massive misery of Mississippi or Louisiana, the willful cratering of Kansas by the state government...there are so many worse contenders. Indianapolis is a shithole that is being gentrified so that everyone can pretend it isn't one of the highest murder rate cities in the nation due to the profound neglect of the poor and black parts of the city, but the rest of the state is just standard white people country. Corporations have a stranglehold on the state government such that even folks like Mike Pence can't do nearly as much damage with socially regressive policies as many other Republican states. Indiana is just purgatory, not hell.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm happy with merging the house thread with this and anything else (gubernatorial, AGs, state houses, so on, so forth). lmk if you want me to help or anything, feel free to take anything or nothing from my OP, do what you want

i think we've actually gotten through most of the dead period already, in the last few months before the election i think participation will heat up to some degree, but i personally prefer big fat megathreads anyway so i'm happy with bringing it all together, and saving you more, at the room store

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Sounds good to me. Probably someone would just need to choose one of the threads & get a mod to edit the title?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thanks for the thread title change.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wrt that house thread i always felt kind of like those parents 100 years ago who dressed their stillborn kids up and posed them for pictures

there's an undeniable sense of pride in it, but eventually you have to let go

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Thanks for the thread title change.

that would explain why I was confused

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oystertoadfish posted:

wrt that house thread i always felt kind of like those parents 100 years ago who dressed their stillborn kids up and posed them for pictures

Your poison district is making Congress too crowded!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Your poison district is making Congress too crowded!

lol

so many poison districts

i would love to make a 'poisson district' joke here but i must regretfully decline since the poisson distribution has essentially nothing to do with congressional elections and almost every assumption in its definition makes it unsuitable to model any aspect of congress as far as i can tell. in other words im not clever

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

oystertoadfish posted:

lol

so many poison districts

i would love to make a 'poisson district' joke here but i must regretfully decline since the poisson distribution has essentially nothing to do with congressional elections and almost every assumption in its definition makes it unsuitable to model any aspect of congress as far as i can tell. in other words im not clever

here's a joke hint: "poisson" is "fish" in french

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

here's a joke hint: "poisson" is "fish" in french

*panics* uhhhh uh uh uhhhhh global warming

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Let's get down ballot baby.

The WV governor's race is sort of unfortunate.

Bill Cole is the Republican, the Democrat is coal tycoon Jim Justice. The renowned coal country journalist Ken Ward Jr has been heavily critical of Justice for his refusal to accept the reality that coal mining will never be the economic driver it once was, and for his climate change denial.

It's too bad. Earl Ray Tomblin has been, in my view, a bright spot for the Democrats in a tough state.

Justice seems like a huckster but he had the UMWA's endorsement in the primary.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

what is the % split of umwa members between retirees and actual miners

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that's an interesting question. somewhere in the fascinating book about the history of containerization called the box - it has lots of labor law and international economics discussions, and also a truly deeply unironically fascinating section about international standards-setting organizations wrt not only the dimensions of shipping containers but also the precise build of the linking mechanisms at their corners and other such unironically incredibly important issues, and also about how the first great container shipping company defrauded the department of defense during the vietnam war and whatever else i forgot - is a discussion of how the west coast longshoremen's union's negotiations with regard to how the obsolescence of their jobs was gonna go down was heavily influenced by the large number of almost-retired longshoremen who just wanted a nice payout and a big house in the suburbs

i think the book's ultimate conclusion wrt unions is that because longshoremen had pretty strong unions, they earned a greater share of the profits accruing from their own obsolescence than almost anybody else in the long decline of america's middle class, but also that when the unions hosed up negotiating provisions in the CBA the owners would delay automatization and greater profits for the short-term chance to legally gently caress over the workers unlucky enough to hire the lovely lawyers. it was interesting

but yeah, interesting question, how the UMWA decided on their endorsement in this race. in addition to the point you raise, there's what some in this forum like to call lesser-evilism, and good old-fashioned personal bribes. i'm sure it's a depressing, ugly story, no matter what it ends up being

edit: vv drat

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Jul 13, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Badger of Basra posted:

what is the % split of umwa members between retirees and actual miners

13 retirees to 1 worker according to the Washington Post.

H/t to this essay in Scalawag Magazine that I read last week and linked to the Post article.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thethreeman posted:

very glad to not be a TV ad watcher in NC this fall, given the pres race swingy-ness, the tight gov race, and the tight race btw Burr/Ross...

it's already bad and will just get worse

also in fundraising ross is up a half million over burr this past quarter, but burr has several million more on hand

the ag race is more intersting with the dem candidate josh stein reporting 2.1 million on hand versus buck newton's 230k. that's right the dem has a nearly 10x cash advantage

Alec Bald Snatch has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Jul 13, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thanks, I hadn't heard of The Box but I've read excerpts of 90 Percent of Everything which focuses on a similar theme - containerization and the shipping industry, both at sea and at port side.

The New York Review of Books published a fascinating review / essay of it here.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Thanks, I hadn't heard of The Box but I've read excerpts of 90 Percent of Everything which focuses on a similar theme - containerization and the shipping industry, both at sea and at port side.

The New York Review of Books published a fascinating review / essay of it here.

oh hey, that review cites the book i was talking about, that's cool. definitely related books

edit: the book i mentioned is by an economist journalist iirc, and while it doesn't completely whitewash the labor issues i dont think it goes into the modern containerized sailor's experience quite like the book you mention seems to. it looks interesting, thanks

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jul 13, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
oystertoadfish's thread was better than this mega thread.

rip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Paper With Lines posted:

oystertoadfish's thread was better than this mega thread.

rip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joementum showed respect by preserving my op, i am happy with the situation

nevertheless i request that my currently pure lowercase-satyagraha-only rap sheet be besmirched with a six hour probation, by way of properly repaying the compliment Paper With Lines has paid me with solidarity. solidarność, if you will (maybe thatll piss you off, homework explainer!!!!)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i slotted your op into this op and added the judge dredd opener. and i'm afraid i cannot grant death to those who wish it, only those who deserve it. make worse posts and you shall receive your eternal reward

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is the greatest injustice in my life since that time in high school quiz bowl when i answered a question about lech walesa et al by saying 'solidarnosc' and they said i was wrong bc the answer was 'solidarity'

edit: but yeah i thanked joe for putting my op in and it turns out it was you so i should thank you instead. danke

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Jul 13, 2016

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

oystertoadfish posted:

this is the greatest injustice in my life since that time in high school quiz bowl when i answered a question about lech walesa et al by saying 'solidarnosc' and they said i was wrong bc the answer was 'solidarity'
What about the time the judge threw out your false advertising lawsuit against The Never-Ending Story?

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

oystertoadfish posted:

I really enjoyed your house summaries/updates - you'll have at least one reader if you keep posting them, especially for the general races. Not easy to find a filtered source of the most interesting updates/closest races

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FMguru posted:

What about the time the judge threw out your false advertising lawsuit against The Never-Ending Story?

keeps getting appealed over and over

ba dum ching

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

13 retirees to 1 worker according to the Washington Post.

H/t to this essay in Scalawag Magazine that I read last week and linked to the Post article.

Lol Jesus

E: is the problem with coal mining in these areas that the coal is running out, or that it is not economical to mine, or both?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Congressman Ted Poe has leukemia and is praying for it to go away, we might get a new rep in TX-2 soon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Badger of Basra posted:

Lol Jesus

E: is the problem with coal mining in these areas that the coal is running out, or that it is not economical to mine, or both?

Probably both - a bit more the economics than scarcity alone, but much like any natural resource, scarcity drives up the cost of extraction (as you get higher ratios of non-coal rock to coal) so they're not entirely mutually exclusive. IIRC there's still plenty there, it's just not commanding enough of a price since places like China sell theirs cheaper. However, reducing our labor and environmental standards to those of China wouldn't close that gap no matter how much the garbage might try telling you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

Lol Jesus

Coal is running out, coal is less popular because it's the most polluting form of power, and natural gas/oil is cheap as loving dirt so even if you don't care about the enviroment why would you build a coal power plant instead of a natural gas one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Badger of Basra posted:

Lol Jesus

Also automation: machines and techniques have gotten good enough that a dozen people can now extract the same amount of coal that used to take hundreds of workers to do.

Even before coal use started to fall, coal jobs were disappearing.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
china has less to do with it than you'd think, given they consume more than or as much as they produce. exploding natural gas production and collapsing energy prices are the reason:

US fracking has been a huge part of the decline of the US coal industry

FMguru posted:

Also automation: machines and techniques have gotten good enough that a dozen people can now extract the same amount of coal that used to take hundreds of workers to do.

Even before coal use started to fall, coal jobs were disappearing.
production has collapsed in the last two years as well: http://www.eia.gov/beta/MER/index.cfm?tbl=T06.01#/?f=M&start=200001

*edit: though to be fair china's coal consumption started falling in 2014 for the first time, so maybe that's having a bigger impact on prices than I'm giving credit

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

It's too bad. Earl Ray Tomblin has been, in my view, a bright spot for the Democrats in a tough state.

It really is sad, Tomblin has been doing his very best to keep our idiot legislature from turning this state into another Kansas or Wisconsin (minus any semblance of prosperity those states once had)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bayh isn't really lovely because he's not ideologically pure, he's lovely because he's a slimy profiteer who make grandiose noises about the integrity of the system and wanting to go do something useful like teach when he left the senate and immediately took lobbying jobs.

Like, he was basically on board for Obama's agenda, that wasn't the problem with him.

The good thing is that he's going to walk into a Senate Democratic caucus that is pretty far to the left of where he left it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Saucer Crab posted:

It really is sad, Tomblin has been doing his very best to keep our idiot legislature from turning this state into another Kansas or Wisconsin (minus any semblance of prosperity those states once had)

That bit in parentheses is why I'm so worried about Kentucky. The state legislature is teetering on that precipice and our governor is noted sociopath Matt Bevin.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
In downballot news, Marist also polled the various senate races:

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/753332189937270784
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/753331230448361472

e: also Colorado by Fox

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/753350219626975232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for the positive feedback yall, hopefully ill remember to write something up when the next eventful big primary day comes along. there's a primary runoff on the 26th, then a few states have primaries august 2nd

that colorado senate candidate is a virginia 2015-like example of why conventions are a bad way to find an electable candidate. he's a black guy who made a great 'all lives matter' speech that the republican-rear end delegates loved and won the room over but he's got no campaign infrastructure and bennett has not been loving around, part of the problem for the co-gop is that bennett and the presidential year electorate scared all their top candidates out of the race in the first place. so not only is he starting from way behind but he's also very unlikely to have the funds or the experienced campaign staff needed to get his message out

also i think i saw that the democratic candidate for nc-gov cooper is outraising the incumbent bathroom governor mccrory and also has more money on hand, which is a great sign for a challenger in a race that's consistently polled within the margin of error for months

• Locked thread