Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cable for my first iPod had the sheathing break apart within a year. It didn't split, just a huge 6 inch section of it basically slowly turned to dust all at once. Apple Is Quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

the laptop power cables do suck and wear away at the same point every time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Toady posted:

lightning headphones have better audio quality. let go of the floppy drive

lol no the extra pins are going to pass the same analog signaling from an internal dac

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Toady posted:

the laptop power cables do suck and wear away at the same point every time

Why does Apple insist on using that lovely matte rubber that clearly disintegrates 10x faster than a regular cheap cable plastic?

Is it perhaps so that they can claim to be "green" because their chargers and cables will decompose and become one with nature after you chuck your third broken one out the window in frustration?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol no the extra pins are going to pass the same analog signaling from an internal dac

are you thinking of usb-c? lightning only transfers a digital signal

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

when I gave it an address it showed two routes, picked one by default and a green bar at the bottom of the screen that had a thumbs up button with the chosen route info next to it.

just tapped the thumbs up because i had no idea which was better

once i pressed go and some dialog popped up and i don't have time to start reading tiny text on my phone, the car is already moving. so i tried pressing outside the dialog and it didn't disappear and then i pressed back and it canceled the navigation

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
sorry, didn't mean to bring up ancient discussions, i didn't notice the thread had more pages :blush:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

let's not get too hasty here, i can see the advantages of not having a headphone jack with regards to waterproofing

you can't destroy a phone with water if it never leaves your house or car or even the store where you didn't buy it

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i for one am getting tired of the ironic apple defenders itt. the gimmick just isn't believable anymore

evilcat
May 16, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

And nearly all users would want more battery life, headphone port, no camera bump, and would accept marginally increased thickness to get it. No one has cared how thick their phone is in like 5 years because under 10mm is fine

Make the phone only slightly thinner than the last one, advertise it as 'thinnest' and other buzzwords, and if people complain about it barely being thinner Apple can do the Apple thing and tell them they are measuring it wrong.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the phone could be a hell of a lot thinner without that useless screen. sorry to spoil tim's one more thing

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

GameCube posted:

the phone could be a hell of a lot thinner without that useless screen. sorry to spoil tim's one more thing

that's only like 1.5mm

they are going make the camera a dongle, ditch the headphone port and make a 3mm phone

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

fart simpson posted:

i can get 6 lightning cables for $10 here in shenzhen and they work ok

plz go to hua qiang bei and pay to have someone stuff an iPhone into a Blackberry Priv

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Perplx posted:

that's only like 1.5mm

they are going make the camera a dongle, ditch the headphone port and make a 3mm phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNDqO2HjEU&t=202s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

Tim is obsessed with unnatural thinness and tumor looking camera bumps

he longs to remake the phone in his master's image

in three or four generations we're gonna see some real cronenbergian poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

in three or four generations we're gonna see some real cronenbergian poo poo
http://www.theonion.com/article/interim-apple-chief-under-fire-after-unveiling-gro-19111

quote:

CUPERTINO, CA—In his first major product release since stepping in for an ailing Steve Jobs last month, interim Apple CEO Tim Cook faced a storm of harsh criticism Monday after unveiling a grotesque new version of the company's popular MacBook that many in attendance described as "disgusting."

Cook presented the bizarre, malformed new product to stunned silence during a media event at Apple headquarters, revealing a device that, while vaguely similar to a computer in certain respects, appeared to be encased in a thick, flesh-like coating that was visibly moist and engorged.

"Oh, my sweet God," Apple employee Kurt Starfeldt said after viewing the MacBook up close. "It appeared to be discharging some sort of mucus-type substance from the headphone jack and making these weird murmuring sounds. And then it started quivering at one point when Tim was demonstrating how to use the touch pad. It was quite upsetting, actually."

"I'm having trouble erasing the image of it from my mind," Starfeldt added. "Please make it go away."

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

error1 posted:

Why does Apple insist on using that lovely matte rubber that clearly disintegrates 10x faster than a regular cheap cable plastic?

Is it perhaps so that they can claim to be "green" because their chargers and cables will decompose and become one with nature after you chuck your third broken one out the window in frustration?

probably because i have an old as poo poo original nano cable that never cracked, even though the 30 pin sides plastic came off to reveal a bitchin copper shielding over the metal enclosure. that poo poo lives in my car still. it probably still works since they were indestructible then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

He misses steve

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

This isn't even satire, this is pretty much exactly what Tim did to the iPhone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

He misses steve

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

Shaggar posted:

He misses steve

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

pretty sure that's what zen death robot was getting at

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jimmy Carter posted:

plz go to hua qiang bei and pay to have someone stuff an iPhone into a Blackberry Priv

hmm

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

man apple is pissing me the h*ck off

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

He misses steve
:perfect:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

triple sulk posted:

the 950s are like $350 brand new with a dual sim on ebay. hmmzorz

apple sucks now but please do not buy a 950 for anything but obscurity nerd points

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apple sucks now but please do not buy a 950 for anything but obscurity nerd points

no i think sulk should buy an obscure abandoned phone with no developer support because he's too loving stupid to buy something good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i dont really like the new ios

lockscreen is dumb, no more swipe to unlock?

imessage has the giant bar up top to hold the circle with the initials of the person, if it's a group it's 5 circles on top of each other with the group name there and it's super distracting

umm thats about it - looks the same to me otherwise

oh the imessage send feature is cool but i'd like to turn off the drawing crap

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
looking forward to folks having the last straw with ios only 5 versions too late

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Apple is making a reality tv show. about apps. with will.i.am

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
will.i.am lays the final blow 2 apples corpse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DuckConference posted:

with will.i.am

the last gasp of irrelevant brands

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

DuckConference posted:

hosed up if true

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the last gasp of irrelevant brands

yeah we're all buying amd processors now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

william was the celebrity pitchman for the G5 iMac back in the day

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

remember will.i.am's smartwatch? he'd rather you didn't

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

will.i.am was Intel's shingy and it was beautiful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DuckConference posted:

can't wait

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here "u" go http://gizmodo.com/tag/will-i-am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wouldn't apl.de.ap be the more appropriate host?

• Locked thread