Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think the glowing baby was glowing from birth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I would not be surprised if that's one of the big differences between mutant-types and other quirk-users: Their quirks don't "manifest", they're in-born. Froppy was hopping soon after crawling and so on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Space-Bird posted:

I'd argue the amount of 'well-doneness' certainly makes it unique. It carries a different voice than most Shonen series, and does it to an exemplary level. Deku isn't a typical shonen lead, Baku is..etc, It certainly holds themes about young boys trying their best, and exciting action, though.. It's a lot more in line with One Piece (which was also an outlier, and now also the biggest Shonen series ever to be conceived.) I'd say it's far from predictable too, most people thought All Might was gonna flat out die, or be a villain at one point, it's a lot easier to be smug in hindsight.

Oh yeah. Very early on everything about All Might's design and role point to him being a secret villain and I was impressed that it went in completely the opposite direction.

And maybe the reason Hero Academia seems exceptional to me is I haven't looked at normal boy-grows-powerful shonen in a long time and things have improved/changed since then. But it really does seem like it's simultaneously the highest expression and subverting it a little.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All Might being completely genuine and sincere is the main reason he's my favorite character by far right now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Oh yeah. Very early on everything about All Might's design and role point to him being a secret villain and I was impressed that it went in completely the opposite direction.

I'm genuinely curious what you're referring to here.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

And maybe the reason Hero Academia seems exceptional to me is I haven't looked at normal boy-grows-powerful shonen in a long time and things have improved/changed since then. But it really does seem like it's simultaneously the highest expression and subverting it a little.

The interesting thing about Izuku is that as a protagonist of an American superhero comic he'd be pretty generic, but as a shonen manga protagonist he has a lot of very unusual qualities. He's book-smart, shy, and (while very willing to put his life on the line when he has a reason to) cautious when he feels he can afford to be. Contrast that with someone like Natsu or Part I Naruto: ADHD, extroverted, reckless. Izuku also doesn't overeat and doesn't get powerups through sheer anger.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Peel posted:

I'm genuinely curious what you're referring to here.

The kind-of-sinister shadowed eyes, eternal smile and scarily huge body of his muscle form, plus the way he's hyped up so much, and the sickliness of his skeleton form would have guaranteed he was a villain, fraud, or at least a narcissist glory hog in most other works.

Silver2195 posted:

The interesting thing about Izuku is that as a protagonist of an American superhero comic he'd be pretty generic, but as a shonen manga protagonist he has a lot of very unusual qualities. He's book-smart, shy, and (while very willing to put his life on the line when he has a reason to) cautious when he feels he can afford to be. Contrast that with someone like Natsu or Part I Naruto: ADHD, extroverted, reckless. Izuku also doesn't overeat and doesn't get powerups through sheer anger.

Now that you mention it yeah. I didn't realize all the ways he diverged.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I honestly never got that impression of all might

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's just that he's the kind of character that's been subverted so much in recent years that it's more surprising to see it played straight for some people.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
To me all those things about his design just made him come across like that much more of a hardcore representation of a Golden Age comic hero. I never once took the shadowed eyes or perma-smile to be anything other than a visual metaphor for how he was a larger than life persona not meant to be compared to an average hero when in that form. He represented the idea of heroism more than anything else.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Reads MHA Volume 9 Extras*

Wait - TORA'S TRANSGENDER!?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

TriffTshngo posted:

To me all those things about his design just made him come across like that much more of a hardcore representation of a Golden Age comic hero. I never once took the shadowed eyes or perma-smile to be anything other than a visual metaphor for how he was a larger than life persona not meant to be compared to an average hero when in that form. He represented the idea of heroism more than anything else.

Yeah I looked at his design and his role in chapter 1 and literally nothing you could say would have convinced me he wasn't meant to be a genuine Super Hero, who cared about people. He didnt hit any villainous seeming flags to me, just goofy heroic ones.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Grouchio posted:

There's some debate over the exact translation of it but generally I think it's consistent enough to say that yep, that was Horikoshi's intention.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Going into this series, I thought All Might was going to be a mean-spirited parody of Superman and was pleasantly surprised he wasn't.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Serious Frolicking posted:

hagakure is a lie created by a different invisible person with a telekinesis quirk that is also a ventriloquist.

What if another person replaced hagakure!!! and she's been kidnapped. I like this insane theory.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's the other invisible kid, the guy, with a stuffed bra.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neo_Crimson posted:

Going into this series, I thought All Might was going to be a mean-spirited parody of Superman and was pleasantly surprised he wasn't.

Not so much a parody but there is a series sort of like that called Irredeemable that I thought was pretty neat. It's about a superman type super hero, invulnerable and super strong with other assorted powers who just sort of snaps one day and blows some people up.

Grouchio posted:

Makes sense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm more surprised that it's just a thing instead of being really awkwardly and borderline offensively done like Newkama Island.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

I'm more surprised that it's just a thing instead of being really awkwardly and borderline offensively done like Newkama Island.
Yeah I'm beginning to think that Oda's more of a conservative 90s crone by the end of each chapter. Heck; the highest quality shading in the anime was spent on Nami's near-rape scene.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A few things have me a bit concerned but I like that Tiger, choice of costume aside, is masculine as hell; it's really common for people doing trans characters to give things like stubble or other traditionally masculine traits to trans women, usually to be both "funny" and "gross", while trans men tend to be waifish or otherwise "sissified". Basically, bigotry shows through and trans men are written to "really" be women, and vice versa.

Meanwhile Tiger, outfit aside (which he could have been wearing even before physically transitioning, come to think of it), is big, buff, and generally a badass. He's even got a beard, something plenty of real trans men have but you never see in fictional ones. There aren't any gross "hints" at him being trans, and he's been portrayed as a competent, capable hero. I'll have to reread the chapters after his introduction because I vaguely remember some jokes that might be a bit iffy in light of this, but otherwise this seems like it was handled pretty well overall.

Also, if we're calling all the other Pussycats by the English name of the type of cat they're named after, then, in my opinion at least, it makes more sense to call him "Tiger" than "Tora".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 13, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

Yeah I'm beginning to think that Oda's more of a conservative 90s crone by the end of each chapter. Heck; the highest quality shading in the anime was spent on Nami's near-rape scene.
:yikes:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

It's the other invisible kid, the guy, with a stuffed bra.

Outline of invisiboobs in pool says no.
Timg'd for invisiboobs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

A few things have me a bit concerned but I like that Tiger, choice of costume aside, is masculine as hell; it's really common for people doing trans characters to give things like stubble or other traditionally masculine traits to trans women, usually to be both "funny" and "gross", while trans men tend to be waifish or otherwise "sissified". Basically, bigotry shows through and trans men are written to "really" be women, and vice versa.

Meanwhile Tiger, outfit aside (which he could have been wearing even before physically transitioning, come to think of it), is big, buff, and generally a badass. He's even got a beard, something plenty of real trans men have but you never see in fictional ones. There aren't any gross "hints" at him being trans, and he's been portrayed as a competent, capable hero. I'll have to reread the chapters after his introduction because I vaguely remember some jokes that might be a bit iffy in light of this, but otherwise this seems like it was handled pretty well overall.

Also, if we're calling all the other Pussycats by the English name of the type of cat they're named after, then, in my opinion at least, it makes more sense to call him "Tiger" than "Tora".
The only joke about him is that the kids point out he kinda stands out because he's the only dude on the team, his attitude doesn't totally fit the team, and his hero name is Tiger instead of a type of housecat like the rest of the team (Pixiebob, Mandaley, and Ragdoll are housecat breeds).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

The only joke about him is that the kids point out he kinda stands out because he's the only dude on the team, his attitude doesn't totally fit the team, and his hero name is Tiger instead of a type of housecat like the rest of the team (Pixiebob, Mandaley, and Ragdoll are housecat breeds).

Okay then, I was remembering right and my second-guessing myself was wrong. Thanks.

Also, was it a joke in the manga or someone here who pointed out that he even seemed to be the wrong genre; while overall the Pussycats seem like they could be a pop group, Tiger's got the facepaint like KISS or some other rock/metal group. That amused me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Toraneko" is Japanese for "tabby cat", but literally translated to "tiger cat" :ssh:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mikl posted:

"Toraneko" is Japanese for "tabby cat", but literally translated to "tiger cat" :ssh:

Okay, it might be a coincidence but that actually seems to fit pretty well; if he didn't transition until after the Pussycats were formed, his name may well have gone from "Tabby" to "Tiger".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Outline of invisiboobs in pool says no.
Timg'd for invisiboobs.

It could be his rear end. As Prison School wisely pointed out, boobs are just fake asses. :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tiger formed an all-woman hero team with his best buds, transitioned, and is still on that hero team with his best buds. he even wears the outfit still. he strikes me as someone that is very comfortable with who he is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Kinda glad I don't remember that part in the comic.

Having a character explained as trans offhandedly because it doesn't change anything (and isn't the butt of a joke) is pretty progressive for a boys action comic.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 13, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Korean raws.

https://manaa.space/post/uploader/35881

More good time room fun. Satou has a microwave to make sweets. Yaoyorozu and Jirou's are as you'd expect. I think the only ones we don't see are Mineta's horror show and Tsuyu's.

JAPANESE

EDIT: horay it worked again! VVV

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 13, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/099/3536/1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Radish posted:

Korean raws.

https://manaa.space/post/uploader/35881

More good time room fun. Satou has a microwave to make sweets. Yaoyorozu and Jirou's are as you'd expect. I think the only ones we don't see are Mineta's horror show and Tsuyu's.

JAPANESE

EDIT: horay it worked again! VVV

that is a small oven. you can't make cake in the microwave.

amazing chapter, though!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a good chapter

With good cake

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

that is a small oven. you can't make cake in the microwave.

amazing chapter, though!

While yeah my bad that's an oven you can make cake in a microwave and it can be good you just have to alter the recipe to do it and it's easy to gently caress up.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Froppy :unsmith:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I Am Incredibly Excited For Chapter 100 I Want To See The Special Moves Please Show Me The Special Moves

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Radish posted:

i am literally hitler

hmm, i see. good point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
not sure why tsuyu was so upset about having the right opinion on their rescue mission.

Also if the license test is so hard how did so many of the lame non top-tier pros pass?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because she was afraid it would cause problems with her friends and was also scared to hear they went through with it and might have been hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Satou gets an actual character moment? Have we wandered into a parallel dimension or something?

Also, Shouji's room being 'it's loving nothing' was great. Wonder what he does with his time. Overall though, I think that Sero has the best visual design sense out of the class (I can imagine that he probably thought up a lot of his costume design, too).