Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

*tips red and white cap*

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

im sad i picked the most popular team i am just coldly rational and like the color blue

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Could someone school me on capture mechanics?

Honestly the ball trajectory seems completely loving random. I can easily swipe and throw pokeballs at low level mons and hit them every time, but when I swipe the exact same way on higher level monsters there seems to be some sort of handicap which makes my ball veer wildly off to the right side.

My friend mentioned something about putting spin on the ball but I have no idea how that works either.

It's super frustrating because I'm already playing with AR turned off and at level 11 I've given up trying to catch Zubats because I can't seem to control where my pokeball goes.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Honestly, if they want to do it right, they'll reset the pokemon's location to where it was traded upon trade.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Previa_fun posted:

Honestly the ball trajectory seems completely loving random. I can easily swipe and throw pokeballs at low level mons and hit them every time, but when I swipe the exact same way on higher level monsters there seems to be some sort of handicap which makes my ball veer wildly off to the right side.

My friend mentioned something about putting spin on the ball but I have no idea how that works either.

It's super frustrating because I'm already playing with AR turned off and at level 11 I've given up trying to catch Zubats because I can't seem to control where my pokeball goes.

My strat works pretty well: repeatedly and rapidly swipe upwards. Then just vary the distance/speed of your swiping to get the right depth for different critters (short swipe for weedle, long swipe for gently caress ZUBATS FOREVER).

As an added bonus, once you get in the rhythm you can get excellents quickly this way, as some pokes start off with the targeting circle small. Pokes also don't do attacks which block pokeballs in the first split second you encounter them.

(Caveat: learning this tech will be pokeball wasteful in the beginning. Keep at it and learn near some pokestops and reap benefits later!)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So when should I start changing my mons into candy? I mean, I got a 292 Rhydon I could try to gym snipe with, plus a few copies of dudes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

widespread posted:

So when should I start changing my mons into candy? I mean, I got a 292 Rhydon I could try to gym snipe with, plus a few copies of dudes.

Rafza posted:

Power level using lucky eggs. Save common pokemon to evolve them all at once during the 30 minute window. The evolution exp will double, which will be very nice if you also get the pokedex bonus. Also try to do this when your eggs are at 95% of their required distance. This website has a chart for how many Pidgeys you should transfer. Somebody on reddit said you can evolve around 30-40 in the 30 minute window, so no need to save up more than that.

You get a free lucky egg at level 9, so save up until then!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Keep at it and learn near some pokestops and reap benefits later!)

This is probably my biggest problem to be honest. I keep running out of pokeballs because I don't live super close to any stops. There are quite a few near where I work though so maybe I just need to be less lazy on my lunch breaks. :v:

But seriously gently caress Zubats forever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Previa_fun posted:

But seriously gently caress Zubats forever.

Yeah, I stopped fighting zubats at all because they burn through pokeballs and they're 50 candy to evolve. I also stay away from spearow because they seem to want to break free a lot, though my early fearow is still one of my best pokemans

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Furnaceface posted:

Youre still in Ottawa right? How is the pokestop/gym density there? Most Canadian cities seem to be pretty barren outside of Toronto. :(

Calgary, Canmore, and Banff all have a lot of poke stops and gyms in their downtowns.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

It takes some practice. The size of the grey circle basically is your range indicator. It wasn't until about level 15 or so before I could start hitting zubats in one or two balls. There's no real trick to it. I've tried adding curve to it, and I didn't notice much of a difference.

You do the curve by spinning the ball around before throwing it. You click the ball, and while holding it move it in a small circle. This puts spin on it. Then you throw it in the opposite direction from the spin. If you land the hit, you will get like 10 wopping bonus XP. Not worth it in my mind.

PBS Newshour posted:

This is completely true, I glance at the reddit for this game and they already went insane and are forming organizations and yelling at each other. Its stupid.

Like I would like more faction stuff in this game, but the reality is those types of people are going to just get way into it and like push out kids and poo poo.

What subreddit are you reading? The whole pogo subreddit is one big hug box as far as I can tell. Besides some ribbing on teams everyone is all :shobon: as gently caress.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

He ain't much, but he's mine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I thought I had this happening, but I'm pretty sure I was accidentally touching the screen with part of my hand and I think that was screwing it up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Xenothral posted:

He ain't much, but he's mine.

Dammit I want one of these because it's just the best.

I mean, I caught a Kabuto some time earlier, and almost had a Machop, but god loving drat.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Hitting lv 15 gets you:
20x Hyper potions
20x great balls (i think)
1x Lucky egg
1x Incense
1x Lure
1x Incubator

plus maybe some revives and berries, so if you're lv 9 and want to drop your egg for max benefit, try to have enough pidgeys to get you to 15 then start hoarding pidgeys and weedles again.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

widespread posted:

Dammit I want one of these because it's just the best.

I mean, I caught a Kabuto some time earlier, and almost had a Machop, but god loving drat.

Yeah! A friend and I were driving around earlier and I made him pull over so I could catch it. Love me some slowpokes.

Also god drat I need a Kabuto so bad.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
managed to hit level 20, the XP jumps after that are just stupid.

I'm still holding off powering up any particular pokemon, because you will always find something stronger the higher level you are. It's a perpetual anticipation god drat

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

This game is amazing, I've never seen anything remotely like it. Went down to the nearby waterfront park (in Seattle) today since I knew there were lots of Ingress portals there, and it was way more crowded than I've ever seen it outside a festival. The densest area (an area with 5 stops in range, all lured) had about 50 people, then there were at probably close to a hundred more patrolling the waterfront stops (where were also all lured). It was nonstop catching, only limited by battery and time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm beginning to believe that there really is no trick (or even consistent mechanics) behind capturing Pokemon. There's, at best, the impression of one.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I got really bored today

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Just used the lucky egg + mass evolve trick to get myself from 11 to 14. I only had 30 things to evolve, but you can easily do 50 since I had 12 minutes left when I finished. Do it at night when the servers are most responsive so you can evolve faster. I got a lucky egg at lv 9 and 10, and it looks like there's another at 15, so start hoarding those shittymons!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bang3r posted:

I got really bored today

lpt: "favorite" those pokemon (go on their individual screen and hit top-right star) so you can sort by "favorite" and the order will stay the way you like it. As you currently have it, it'll likely get ruined when you catch a new pokemon ;)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

This is fake right?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zaekkor posted:

This is fake right?

By fake do you mean possibly the strongest pokemon of the red/blue gen? Beside alakazam of course.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Shwqa posted:

By fake do you mean possibly the strongest pokemon of the red/blue gen? Beside alakazam of course.

No. Look at the silhouettes. First of all why/how are that many good pokemon next to each other? Second of all, are the legendary birds even available?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaekkor posted:

No. Look at the silhouettes. First of all why/how are that many good pokemon next to each other? Second of all, are the legendary birds even available?

No, but you still see their silhouettes when adding something in that area of the pokedex.

I don't think Ditto or Farfetch'd is in either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a dratini, its not fake

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Zaekkor posted:

No. Look at the silhouettes. First of all why/how are that many good pokemon next to each other?

smh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Those birds are in the code and stuff supposedly, you just can't get them yet.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Jeez, Pinser is such a trap pokemon. I have one at 1200 CP and it does poo poo all for damage, and to top it off, attacks slower than the cooldown on an enemy's attack.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

It's real dumb that this game doesn't have a counter for how many unique pokestops you've visited.

Except...it does.

You should check out the badge section, specifically backpacker badge

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yeah, I caught a Dratini near my house the other day, was pretty excited. I assume it will be next to impossible to evolve though.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Except...it does.

You should check out the badge section, specifically backpacker badge

The backpacker badge counts multiple visits to the same pokéstop.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I have 2 eggs that are 90m from hatching. Stuck my phone on the fan for a few mins, nothing. rode my bike slowly up and down the street twice, nothing. what gives?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I have 2 eggs that are 90m from hatching. Stuck my phone on the fan for a few mins, nothing. rode my bike slowly up and down the street twice, nothing. what gives?

The game has to be on, and you have to be going slower than 15miles an hour. You have to actively be staring at a glowing screen for it to give a poo poo how far you travel.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
nah, it works fine with powersaving on, but sometimes it takes a while to update egg distance, I've had eggs stuck on 2/2km for up to 5 minutes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This dodging mechanic is such bullshit. So much lag between the swipe and the server registering the dodge that it's just a waste of time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Krinkle posted:

The game has to be on, and you have to be going slower than 15miles an hour. You have to actively be staring at a glowing screen for it to give a poo poo how far you travel.

Nah. I've put my phone upside down in my cup holder, driven home, and then had my egg hatch like 10 minutes after I put it on the charger on my desk.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Krinkle posted:

Yeah I was riding 1 hand like 2kmh. i was in the lowest gear to make sure.

Restarted my phone and the eggs have disappeared :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

This dodging mechanic is such bullshit. So much lag between the swipe and the server registering the dodge that it's just a waste of time.

Dodge when the game flashes yellow. Ignore the animations.

• Locked thread