Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dead Reckoning posted:

I agree, we should let uninformed outsiders have input on administrative policy. Except we should do it for everything. Quick, how do we all feel about how far nuclear power plant safety standards? How far should they have to be located from our town?

how many innocent people have nuclear power plants killed in the US?

also "uninformed" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dead Reckoning posted:

quote:

This is awesome, but a crazy thing for a politician running for president to actually say and push for.
I agree, we should let uninformed outsiders have input on administrative policy. Except we should do it for everything. Quick, how do we all feel about how far nuclear power plant safety standards? How far should they have to be located from our town?

I, too, think the Geneva Conventions were a huge waste of time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

If you want a...uh...optimistic? experience, try looking back on some Bush era news/comedy/stories/whatever. Oh man, poo poo was dire. Every day was a new adventure in an almost confrontational level of corruption and it was literally impossible for him to go loving anywhere without committing some kind of near-international-incident.

I mean the next guy literally got a Nobel Prize for Not Being That Dumb Fucker.

Trump would basically be that except knowingly malicious instead of outright stupidity, so we haven't fully escaped yet. Still, things could be a lot worse, which I guess is what passes for optimism these days???

Either way looking at the crazy blatant poo poo they got away with is interesting/horrifying.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

This kind of knee-jerk dismissal of OUTSIDERS is exactly what led to your dear old British chums overseas being on fire right now.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It wouldn't be 'outsiders' anyway, of course, it would be people who have worked in policing for decades and are also smart and know how to run departments without widespread graft and murder. It's not like Hillz would sit down and draw the whole plan up all by herself.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The reason to be terrified of George W. Bush and his tenure was not because he was a evil man , but a man who knew in his heart he was righteous in his actions.

It can't be both?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

how many innocent people have nuclear power plants killed in the US?
Wow, way to suggest that everyone who has died in a nuclear power accident somehow had it coming.

Yinlock posted:

This kind of knee-jerk dismissal of OUTSIDERS is exactly what led to your dear old British chums overseas being on fire right now.
If you're talking about Brexit, it's like the best possible example of why letting people who feel strongly about a subject but don't understand how it plays out in a practical or legal sense have a say in government policy is a terrible idea.

showbiz_liz posted:

It wouldn't be 'outsiders' anyway, of course, it would be people who have worked in policing for decades and are also smart and know how to run departments without widespread graft and murder. It's not like Hillz would sit down and draw the whole plan up all by herself.
Maybe she meant that the police would collaborate with various SMEs in order to develop training curricula and use of force guidelines, but it seems like that's pretty much what the police do now. It seems more likely that it's an appeal to the idea of giving various advocacy groups input on police use of force, since I don't think Dexo would have been excited by the former.

Nationwide use of force standards seem a questionable proposition anyway, because not every department organizes, trains or equips their officers the same way, and this is a good thing, because the Sheriff's Office of a 5,000 person county in Wyoming has different needs and capabilities than the LAPD.

Objective use of force standards seem to be rather questionable too, unless you want to make the 21-foot rule an actual legal concept, or require that the police objectively determine that the gun someone is waving around is real and loaded before they are allowed to use lethal force.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wow, way to suggest that everyone who has died in a nuclear power accident somehow had it coming.
If you're talking about Brexit, it's like the best possible example of why letting people who feel strongly about a subject but don't understand how it plays out in a practical or legal sense have a say in government policy is a terrible idea.
Maybe she meant that the police would collaborate with various SMEs in order to develop training curricula and use of force guidelines, but it seems like that's pretty much what the police do now. It seems more likely that it's an appeal to the idea of giving various advocacy groups input on police use of force, since I don't think Dexo would have been excited by the former.

Nationwide use of force standards seem a questionable proposition anyway, because not every department organizes, trains or equips their officers the same way, and this is a good thing, because the Sheriff's Office of a 5,000 person county in Wyoming has different needs and capabilities than the LAPD.

Objective use of force standards seem to be rather questionable too, unless you want to make the 21-foot rule an actual legal concept, or require that the police objectively determine that the gun someone is waving around is real and loaded before they are allowed to use lethal force.

This but for education, environmental and labor standards. A factory in Ohio can't be expected to follow the same labor laws as loggers in Alaska and a dive bar in LA, that's nonsense!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Experts? What do they know? Harrumph.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jesus Christ, Mick Huckabee.

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/11/mike_huckabee_the_real_movement_in_america_should_be_male_lives_matter/

quote:

It’s not me that needs to be ‘fact checked.’ It’s the Post — I only said exactly what YOU reported. My comments were 100 percent factual. The pure facts also reveal that 94 percent of those killed by police are men, so by your ‘proportional’ standards, the real movement in America should be ‘Male Lives Matter.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Huckabee is a clown.

https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/684484640606961668

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Look at them fat white dudes. Why is it always fat white dudes who think they're glorious crusaders of Christ waiting for the holy wars to begin?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

This but for education, environmental and labor standards. A factory in Ohio can't be expected to follow the same labor laws as loggers in Alaska and a dive bar in LA, that's nonsense!
You do know that all of those vary at the state level, yes? That's why roughly half the states are right-to-work, there are various exceptions to at-will employment, states set academic curricula, and Common Core remains controversial.

Meat Recital posted:

Experts? What do they know? Harrumph.
I'm totally in favor of actual subject matter experts being consulted on matters of policy. BTW, since we aren't limited to 140 characters here, as far as I can tell, this was the actual quote:

quote:

I have got some specific ideas about what we can do for criminal justice reform. We need national guidelines about the use of force, particularly lethal force.

We need to work with the 18,000 police departments in our country, some of whom are real models and others should be learning from about how they de-escalate tension, rather than turning a routine traffic stop into a killing.

And, of course, we need to investigate the implicit bias that, unfortunately, too many of us still have. And when it’s an implicit bias in a police officer, it can lead to an escalating situation.
Seems pretty reasonable. In fact, I endorsed the idea of using funding to promulgate best practices across departments earlier. Nothing in there about soliciting input on use-of-force from the general community though.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
OSHA has federal standards for all of those things. State level has to follow those minimums.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I remember years ago seeing Huckabee on The Daily Show and he was jolly and charismatic and it worried me that he may ride that to high office

I'm glad he went with the total loving lunatic approach instead

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

i honestly don't even know what you're trying to say here, but i'll answer my own question: 9

also love how you avoided defending your assumption that they would be "uninformed" administrators

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Seems pretty reasonable. In fact, I endorsed the idea of using funding to promulgate best practices across departments earlier. Nothing in there about soliciting input on use-of-force from the general community though.

you frame it as if they're going to just pick random people off the street, are you this obtuse/dense on purpose or just trolling?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

smg77 posted:

I kind of hope that Trump announces Paul Ryan is his running mate and have it be a complete surprise to Ryan.

This is actually my dream scenario now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

OSHA has federal standards for all of those things. State level has to follow those minimums.
OSHA deals with workplace safety, not labor relations or academic curricula.

I feel like we're talking past each other. My point is, I think federalism is generally a good thing, despite the problems it sometimes causes. We don't have a single, national police force for a variety of very good reasons, and since we don't have a national police force, trying to reach down and dictate administrative policy at the state and local level is a fool's errand. It's a solution in search of a problem; I don't think any of the officers involved in recent controversial shootings were confused because they had just transferred from a department where it was OK to blow a dude away for breathing funny.

Karl Sharks posted:

you frame it as if they're going to just pick random people off the street, are you this obtuse/dense on purpose or just trolling?
It's not really relevant, since what Hillary actually endorsed was an extremely reasonable "police forces learning from other police forces about the best way to do business" rather than the "we need to let outsiders have input on police use-of-force policy" that some guy on twitter implied.

Since we're talking about a policy based on Twitter fiat, rather than a serious policy proposal put forth by any candidate or party, it does matter how you define "outside input." It seems like most SMEs on legal use of force are either going to be LEOs, ex-LEOs, or prosecutors, so I'm wondering where this pool of previously untapped expertise is going to come from.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 13, 2016

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Stereotype posted:

So have we talked about George W Bush merrily bobbing to the music in Dallas at the memorial for the slain police officers? Because it is weird and uncomfortable.

http://gawker.com/what-exactly-was-going-on-with-george-w-bush-at-the-me-1783551893

I think he is senile and doesn't know where he is.

It was sweet of Obama to kinda do it too at the end there so Bush wouldn't feel too awkward.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mike "kill people and break things" Huckabee was, for me, the worst of the GOP candidates and I'm glad we're having to deal with Teflon Don rather than his slimy rear end.

Karl Sharks posted:

It's Dead Reckoning. Yes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

I remember years ago seeing Huckabee on The Daily Show and he was jolly and charismatic and it worried me that he may ride that to high office

I'm glad he went with the total loving lunatic approach instead

I figured Cruz sucked a good bit of the fundie base away, leaving Huckabee with no actual political power and a gradually diminishing pool of followers precipitating his decline into fringe lunacy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo. She really isn't loving around.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/752904865152729088

This is awesome, but a crazy thing for a politician running for president to actually say and push for.

So much for her moving to the right after securing the nomination I guess.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 13, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

The guidelines are a 1 sheet piece of paper with only the words, "white genocide"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stereotype posted:

So have we talked about George W Bush merrily bobbing to the music in Dallas at the memorial for the slain police officers? Because it is weird and uncomfortable.

http://gawker.com/what-exactly-was-going-on-with-george-w-bush-at-the-me-1783551893

I think he is senile and doesn't know where he is.

W seems to honestly loves music and doesn't give a flying gently caress what you think, because he knows the rhythm is gonna get him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

smg77 posted:

I kind of hope that Trump announces Paul Ryan is his running mate and have it be a complete surprise to Ryan.

This is actually my dream scenario now.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Trump picks :newt: on Friday, then the Cruz faithful refuse to vote for him and instead vote in Paul Ryan before he even knows he's on the ballot.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

Trump picks :newt: on Friday, then the Cruz faithful refuse to vote for him and instead vote in Paul Ryan before he even knows he's on the ballot.

This, but they do it while Ryan is in the can. He exits to cheers, oblivious to what has happened. As he faces the beaming crowd's faces, the projected image of "Trump/Ryan 2016" catches his eye as the crudely and quickly drawn graphic appears on the RNC's giant screen. And only then does he learn. He is now one with the Trumpster fire.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Gyges posted:

W seems to honestly loves music and doesn't give a flying gently caress what you think, because he knows the rhythm is gonna get him.

fun fact, the song featured in each of the gifs is Battle Hymn of the Republic

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm really considering picking up the new Bush biography. Anyone read it yet?
https://www.amazon.com/Bush-Jean-Edward-Smith/dp/1476741190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468403367&sr=8-1&keywords=Bush

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

She was gonna move right, Trump was gonna move left, and there was no actual reason ever given for this conventional wisdom besides "well, $hillary lol" for Clinton and "well, it's what a sane and intelligent person would do" for Trump

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have seen people, especially in S4P, argue that Trump is lying and is actually a progressive so we should vote for him, while Clinton is lying and is actually a conservative so we should not vote for her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

I have seen people, especially in S4P, argue that Trump is lying and is actually a progressive so we should vote for him, while Clinton is lying and is actually a conservative so we should not vote for her.

Bad news for :reddit: but I guess that means Bernie's lying too about all that poo poo he said in endorsing the Hillz.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

As if I didn't have enough reasons to be embarrassed about my home state.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

HPanda posted:

This, but they do it while Ryan is in the can. He exits to cheers, oblivious to what has happened. As he faces the beaming crowd's faces, the projected image of "Trump/Ryan 2016" catches his eye as the crudely and quickly drawn graphic appears on the RNC's giant screen. And only then does he learn. He is now one with the Trumpster fire.

I can get behind this if there's a dolly zoom in there somewhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Oh hey it's that time again! Let's gather round the fire and arzy over another lovely Quinnipiac poll!

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/753184460384808960?s=09

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The legend is that 'round these parts, if you link a Quinnipac RV poll, you'll be set upon by a wild Boosted!

What's that in the bushes, could it be? Oh no it - RUN CHILDREN RUN

Florida may be interesting, but the rest are within MoE like the others. ONTO THE PILE

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HorseRenoir posted:

Oh hey it's that time again! Let's gather round the fire and arzy over another lovely Quinnipiac poll!

If Trump takes all three of those states then Hillary is in some pretty deep poo poo, so yeah.

While we're on the subject 538 has Trump with about 22% chance to win and holding. That is really loving high.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I guess if Republicans were stupid about polls in 2012 that's a good enough reason for Democrats to ignore polls they don't like, too?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HorseRenoir posted:

What do the samplings look like? I can't check when at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kilroy posted:

I guess if Republicans were stupid about polls in 2012 that's a good enough reason for Democrats to ignore polls they don't like, too?

Who's ignoring them? I said onto the pile didn't I

I even made a point not to ignore the leaked internal poll for crazy people because I know people get super sensitive about laughing at methodologies and being genuinely curious as to just what the gently caress Rasmussen is doing

• Locked thread