Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The only big problem is too little paste, too much makes little difference usually because it gets pressed out. Leaking over the sides means nothing and its typical as thermal paste for gpus is typically applied as a square. its not some asian kid with a tube of arctic silver putting peas on each chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Stanley Pain posted:

So while my Zotac 1080 OCd well it did run hot @ load (85C).

Decided to crack her open and see what the default paste was like.

:barf:

Slap a Corsair h110i on there!

[edit]

Reminds me of this official MSI thermal paste guide video. (That was later taken down. I can't imagine why.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 12, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xthetenth posted:

The stuff over the sides is largely irrelevant, it might help a tiny bit, but it's not like it's going to hurt the important bit, which is having a thin layer between the chip and the cooler.

Yes, I know, the point is that extra paste does not hurt, you should not use a ton because it's a pain to clean up if you ever want to take the cooler off again and because it's a waste of perfectly good thermal compound but the extra is not going to negatively impact performance and having too little is far, far worse than having "too much".

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ak Gara posted:

Slap a Corsair h110i on there!

[edit]

Reminds me of this official MSI thermal paste guide video. (That was later taken down. I can't imagine why.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

This makes me laugh every time, the music really seals it.

I agree that too much paste isnt terrible but that zotac is pretty bad. But no harm done repasting, it used to be a prudent thing to do.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

Can you explain this to me

I always see people posting about thermal paste and it generally seems weird and inscrutible to me. Like don't you want just barely enough to fill all the micro gaps in the interfacing surfaces across the entire cross-section, and no more?

It's a big glob + uneven as heck

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is a bit of a Glob, but did you mess with the fan curves at all before just ripping off and blaming the cooler?

Stock settings from Zotac have always seemed to be geared toward the quiet side over cool side, and 85C isn't too hot for a GPU even though 70C is sort of the target for most of us that want a card to last these days.

Heck even out of the box, the thermal paste has to have a little heat to set it up after first applying it, that stuff looks like it was globbed on and boxed up.

Yeah even @ 100% (which is really , really quiet on this card).

New paste = 20C cooler... much better :D

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

What is the fan RPM at 100% for you vs someone else on here with a different brand by chance?

20C with just a repast sounds pretty darn good, but I am curious if they somehow pulled another 50% Fan Throttle Max BIOS trick or something to keep the sound down like they did on the 560Ti. That was stupid as hell.

Love Zotac otherwise, but their fan/cooling tweaking sort of hamstrings their great cooler designs at times to make it worse than stock when it is capable of so much more.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, I know, the point is that extra paste does not hurt, you should not use a ton because it's a pain to clean up if you ever want to take the cooler off again and because it's a waste of perfectly good thermal compound but the extra is not going to negatively impact performance and having too little is far, far worse than having "too much".

Yep, I'm in the habit of quoting even if I don't disagree, I just wanted to emphasize that the part that does the heat transfer is the part worth worrying about.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol 20 degrees is practically broken the way it shipped. Glad it was just a repaste

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What's the go-to paste for GPUs these days? Is it still the Gelid? I'd like to not have to use different pastes going forward.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Twerk from Home posted:

If the GTX 1060 performance leaks and $149 price leaks are both accurate:vince:

Assuming the price of the 3GB version and the leaked 1060 benchmarks are both separate and accurate pieces of information, were the leaked benchmarks done with the 6GB version or the 3GB version? Because yeah, if those benchmarks were achieved with the 3GB version which is only $149...

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

owl_pellet posted:

Assuming the price of the 3GB version and the leaked 1060 benchmarks are both separate and accurate pieces of information, were the leaked benchmarks done with the 6GB version or the 3GB version? Because yeah, if those benchmarks were achieved with the 3GB version which is only $149...

Ehh if it ends up being true, I highly doubt those leaks were the 3gb version just because the 6gb is definitely real and there is a real chance its in someone's hands, and if the leak was legitimate they'd probably mention that it wasn't the card that everybody was expecting in a week. That being said if the leak is true, it doesn't seem like it'd be too far off in performance at least within the scope of those benchmarks.

I'll believe it when I see it though. $150 for that performance seems too good to true. Potential ram limitations aside, I don't see why they would price it that low just due to price/performance in their own product stack much less what its competing against.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The 3GB 1060 has to have something else cut (cores? clockspeed? memory bus width?) if it really is going to launch at $149, that price seems so unlikely. Still, Nvidia could probably make money even there, and driven by the goal of shutting AMD out of the market, some pain now for more profit later is a surprisingly farsighted bet.

If it does appear with that retail price, it should push the price of used 970's way down. :)

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
There's no way in hell that card will be under $200. $200 MSRP and $250 founders more likely. Or slightly more even.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
One would assume that game developers will keep the very popular GTX 970 in mind for the next couple of years. The "3GB 1060" really only has 512MB less than the 970.

When can media outlets publish performance data on GTX 1060?

When is RX 470 coming? RX 460?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

The 3GB 1060 has to have something else cut (cores? clockspeed? memory bus width?) if it really is going to launch at $149, that price seems so unlikely.

The rumour mill is saying the 3GB version has 1152 cores (so 128 disabled, or a 10% cut).

PBCrunch posted:

When can media outlets publish performance data on GTX 1060?

Embargo drops on release day, the 19th.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's the go-to paste for GPUs these days? Is it still the Gelid? I'd like to not have to use different pastes going forward.

I believe the only comprehensive test is still the one that puts gelid in the top . I actually got 0 degrees improvement on a G1 1070, which is good (but bad :()

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Stanley Pain posted:

What did you use to clean off the existing paste? Especially when it's smeared all over the chip like that? I'd be worried about damaging something just removing the old paste.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
ArtiClean. (Which I think was basically just orange oil goof off in the one bottle and 90%+ isopropyl in the other.)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NoDamage posted:

What did you use to clean off the existing paste? Especially when it's smeared all over the chip like that? I'd be worried about damaging something just removing the old paste.

90% ISO and some lint free medical pads :)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

ArtiClean. (Which I think was basically just orange oil goof off in the one bottle and 90%+ isopropyl in the other.)

I still have a set from 2008.

They did well in cleaning off my 2600k for the waterblock I just installed, but it's lost its citrus scent :eng99:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah the articlean stuff works and lasts forever and helps with the initial goop wipe up slightly

But 90% alcohol does the same thing. Coffee filters work for cheap lint free wiping although its slower going. Paper towels work perfectly fine too and have great bite... Just take care with the last few wipes to not leave a minefield of fuzz all over it

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I haven't seen anywhere where any config of the 1060 will be $149 folks, like I said I'm assuming that was just a typo. $249 for the 6 gig is better than most expected.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

http://wccftech.com/gtx-1060-3gb-detailed-specs-leak/

quote:

We will be taking this leak with a grain of salt, but owing to the differences between both graphic cards, the 3GB version has been reported to retail for $149 USD, giving gamers on a very tight budget the freedom to enjoy the latest games with a large number of GPU taxing settings enabled at their highest configurable point. This clearly shows that the card will tackle the Radeon RX 470 which is AMD’s $149 US solution that features the cut down Polaris 10 GPU with 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52981/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-variant-priced-149-199/index.html

quote:

Well, NVIDIA could hit a lower price point with the 3GB variant of its GeForce GTX 1060, as the company has only unveiled the 6GB version thus far. NVIDIA is reported to hit a $149 price on the partner cards, while the GTX 1060 3GB Founders Edition could be priced at $199.

What these "reports" are and who the sources are supposed to be, no idea.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I said gently caress it and bought an Arctic Accelero S3 for my reference RX 480... hey, it was $29 shipped on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E

Hopefully it (A) fits on my RX 480 and (B) fits inside my Core V1 itx CASE (or at least sticks out with the side door removed)

Then lastly I just happened to have a 140x15mm Ultrasleek Vortex lying around: https://smile.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Ultra-Sleek-Vortex-Mounting/dp/B00B1WQ4VA

So, I'll try to squeeze that in between the PCB and the cooler and see how that works out then report back. :science:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 1070 FE gets pretty drat hot with even a mild overclock of +100 on the core, I was obviously spoiled by my old 970s cooler. I'm thinking about getting that NZXT bracket and an aio for it. How stupid an idea is this?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

track day bro! posted:

My 1070 FE gets pretty drat hot with even a mild overclock of +100 on the core, I was obviously spoiled by my old 970s cooler. I'm thinking about getting that NZXT bracket and an aio for it. How stupid an idea is this?

Pretty stupid, it won't overclock that much higher and even though the FE is pretty noisy an AIO with it's pump noise will be worse.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

AMD is having some sort of event in Korea at 5pm local time (which is apparently 4am EST/1am PST). Sapphire is "introducing" the 480 Nitro there. We might actually get information on clocks and such, as well as maybe hopefully a release date (but probably not, this is AMD PR we're talking about here... they'll probably waste time talking about nothing and then forget to give out information that anyone cares about).

This post brought to you by rampant insomnia.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonkish posted:

AMD is having some sort of event in Korea at 5pm local time (which is apparently 4am EST/1am PST). Sapphire is "introducing" the 480 Nitro there. We might actually get information on clocks and such, as well as maybe hopefully a release date (but probably not, this is AMD PR we're talking about here... they'll probably waste time talking about nothing and then forget to give out information that anyone cares about).

This post brought to you by rampant insomnia.

Guru3D say the boost clock is 1317mhz.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RIP 1500 MHz Oh wait, that 1317 MHz report was based on a week old article. Could still be boost 1500 MHz.

[edit] RIP

From /r/AMD

PowerColor Devil series will have 1367mhz factory OC
HIS Roaring series will have 1342mhz factory OC
XFX Black series will have 1328mhz factory OC
There was no information about Sapphire Nitro factory OC

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 13, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

I still have a set from 2008.

They did well in cleaning off my 2600k for the waterblock I just installed, but it's lost its citrus scent :eng99:

Want me to ship you mine, so you can mix it in? My bottle 1 concentrated itself down into orangey-smelling sludge. It still cleans well, I just need volume, not concentrate. <.<;

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

snuff posted:

Pretty stupid, it won't overclock that much higher and even though the FE is pretty noisy an AIO with it's pump noise will be worse.

Worse at idle, better at load.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

snuff posted:

No way lol. Water cooling is a dream for GPUs, in terms of sound. Pump noise is a non issue compared to even moderate fan noise on any card.

I get the impression people think AIOs sound like aquarium pumps. If you can truly hear your pump in any annoying way you should get another kind of AIO.

The only silly part is paying money for a reference cooler then paying more money to make it quiet but that's just hindsight

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Some people in this thread talk about custom loops and others are scared to repaste their gpu with some AS5. Not sure what to make of this.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've repasted CPU and installed OEM cooler for CPU but doing anything with the GPU seems scary

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Massasoit posted:

I've repasted CPU and installed OEM cooler for CPU but doing anything with the GPU seems scary

This. No problem mucking around with the CPU but anything with the GPU is hella intimidating.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Massasoit posted:

It's pretty much just a CPU.

On my Zotac AMP I needed to unscrew 5 screws, and then pull the heatsink off. That's it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What is a reasonable overclock goal to shoot for with a 980ti? I have an MSI that's pre-OC'ed to ~1150 and so far I haven't encountered any problems with a conservative 100/500 on the clock/memory in Afterburner, although it's dubious what kind of performance gain I'm actually getting. I have a 650w PSU and have more than enough wattage to support the extra power draw. Don't want to mess around with voltage.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Massasoit posted:

It's pretty easy, you undo any screws holding the back plate on if the card has one, then undo any other screws on the back, then gently pry the cooler off. It might stick a bit so you use slowly increasing force, if it's really stubborn you check to make sure you really got all the screws and try unscrewing any that are on the I/O area of the card, be careful when the cooler first pops off to undo the cables connecting the fans on the cooler to the card. Remember to keep different types of screws separated and label each type so you know what is what. Once you have the card taken apart you use some isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters to clean the old paste off the GPU and the cooler, just be gentle and you will not break anything, it takes a lot of force to break these things. Once it is clean you repaste and put the cooler back on, use plenty of paste since you want to make sure every bit of the die is covered, remember to reconnect the fan cables, it would suck to have to do everything over again because you forgot. For an AIO+Bracket if you are using one just follow the instructions that come with your bracket when it comes to installing it.

I can understand being nervous about doing this sort of thing but it really is quite easy. Try watching some videos on youtube of people doing stuff like this, it should help with your confidence levels.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that installing a CPU cooler and pasting that is actually more risky, sockets on mobos are more fragile than GPUs, you risk getting paste down into the socket if you use way too much which is potentially a dead mobo, the systems for securing the CPU cooler to the mobo are generally more complex than anything a GPU would use and so on, you have actually already done something more risky and difficult than repasting a GPU.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
CPUs have nice sturdy heatspreaders on them and GPUs don't. CPUs can be accessed much more quickly and easily than GPUs being a few screws, if any, to remove the HSF or block. Getting to the GPU core can mean undoing lots of screws, especially if there's a backplate to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

As a follow-up to that, doesn't this void warranty? Was there a company that doesn't void warranty? EVGA I think?