Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Cerebral Bore posted:

That would be surprising because the last big surge in membership was last fall, and those people probably joined up because of Corbs.

There is some disillusionment, I think, but polls suggest he'll still win comfortably. I suspect that the PLP shenanigans since that last poll will have shifted things in JC's direction a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

obviously, now that he's on the ballot, if he does lose the leadership election, then he's finished - whereas previously he would have had a case for arguing for an illegitimate vote

As a Corbynista, I acknowledge this. Obviously if he doesn't have the backing of the membership or the PLP his displacement will be legitimate and deserved. I'm confident he has the former.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerebral Bore posted:

That would be surprising because the last big surge in membership was last fall, and those people probably joined up because of Corbs.

I thought there had been a big surge in membership since May, & especially since the knives of the PLP started coming out & missing in their attempt to stab Corbyn in the back?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Was there not an agenda for the NEC meeting so the corbyn supporters will have known about other votes taking place?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It's more to do with them being completely unable to countenance the idea of a woman being bad. Theresa May is a woman in power, ergo she is good. Never mind that her policies will directly harm thousands and thousands of other women, woman + power = good.

These are the same people that thought Corbyn being elected over Cooper and Kendall was because Labour are a misogynistic cult rather than their policies being dogshit, and gave him poo poo for "reducing the number of women in the shadow cabinet" when a bunch of them resigned and there weren't enough in the PLP willing to work with him.

The media and rebels in general seems to be playing heavily upon the idea of Corbyn supporters 'threatening' women now as well, which is how the secret ballot was spun - 'female members' were concerned about the brick through the window as if that had something directly to do with Eagle being a woman. It's pretty loving pathetic imo to be a politician but when you have to make any hard choices just flop about going "no! I have to do it with no accountability because I am but a weak vulnerable woman!" At least May has the tough bitch image going for her. (Yeah whatever, I'm sure there's a pile of liberal feminists waiting to tell me I must have internalised misogyny because these comments, I don't care)

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Jose posted:

Was there not an agenda for the NEC meeting so the corbyn supporters will have known about other votes taking place?

Robert Peston claims they were off-agenda items.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

The membership freeze, membership tax, and clp votes were all done under Any Other Business.

Hindsight and all that but i personally wouldn't have left until the meeting was formally concluded.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao loving hell

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

There is some disillusionment, I think, but polls suggest he'll still win comfortably. I suspect that the PLP shenanigans since that last poll will have shifted things in JC's direction a little bit.

I wasn't alone in these threads in suggesting I'd consider an alternative leftish candidate a few weeks back. The antics of the PLP have driven me right back to Corbyn.

When is the Batley and Spen by-election? Do they have time to parachute in the prodigal son and saviour of the Labour Party, David Miliband?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

I won't say it's a certainty but Corbyn should win again in September now that he's on. If Smith stands he's splitting the non-Corbyn vote which is probably only narrowly a majority at best, if he doesn't then Jeremy should handle Angela quite easily given her hilariously bad launch and support base and if Smith stands and Eagle drops out then it makes the whole thing just a hilarious farce again.

Smith is running too now. Wasn't in for the Iraq war, self-described soft left. I don't know, it's possible he could turn into the unity candidate here.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Can't the NEC just call another meeting and undo the off-agenda rulings?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oberleutnant posted:

The membership freeze, membership tax, and clp votes were all done under Any Other Business.

Hindsight and all that but i personally wouldn't have left until the meeting was formally concluded.

Congrats on being more competent than Corbyn. What on earth was he thinking leaving early?

It'd be a nice turn of events if this led to a big surge in TU membership. But that won't happen if people cynically join then leave at the first opportunity.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Vitamin P posted:

Smith is running too now. Wasn't in for the Iraq war, self-described soft left. I don't know, it's possible he could turn into the unity candidate here.

Was he the Pfizer lobbyist?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I can only imagine someone isn't reading the tweets before retweeting lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OvineYeast posted:

There is some disillusionment, I think, but polls suggest he'll still win comfortably.
are we looking at the same polls

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/labour-members-corbyn-post-brexit/

quote:

As things currently stand, were Mr. Corbyn was on the ballot paper again, 36% say they would definitely vote for him (down from 50% in May) and 36% say they definitely wouldn’t vote for him (up from 22%).

quote:

In a hypothetical head-to-head matchup between him and Angela Eagle, he currently holds a 10 point lead at 50% to 40%,

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

I wasn't alone in these threads in suggesting I'd consider an alternative leftish candidate a few weeks back. The antics of the PLP have driven me right back to Corbyn.

When is the Batley and Spen by-election? Do they have time to parachute in the prodigal son and saviour of the Labour Party, David Miliband?

Still no date confirmed

Vitamin P posted:

As I've argued before, he might have had a chance if he hadn't joined the night of blunt knives and resigned with everyone else in their drips & drabs. But he did, so that means he's likely lost the faith of an awful lot of members.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

Was he the Pfizer lobbyist?

he was. quotes of him wanting to privatise the NHS that will get him absolutely savaged if he becomes leader

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Get in to work, put on the radio, first song is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

Please don't be an omen :tinfoil:

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

coffeetable posted:

are we looking at the same polls

Yes? You quoted the relevant point. 50-40 is a comfortable win. They didn't ask about Owen Smith but somehow suspect he wouldn't do better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Away from Corbyn for a minute, have an article written by Pete Oborne: Theresa May: Dull but dangerous

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I thought there had been a big surge in membership since May, & especially since the knives of the PLP started coming out & missing in their attempt to stab Corbyn in the back?

Yes, this is true. I may have worded it unclearly, but I meant "last" as the one before this one.

In any case, the whole freeze is dumber and dumber the more i think about it. Partially because there was a big influx of pro-Corbyn people who joined up before the deadline and partially because most people who are likely to be motivated enough to fork out 25£ for the vote will be pro-Corbs as well. In addition, any plans hope for the labour right to recruit new voters to shift the balance are right out. The Labour right seems to be setting itself up for the fall, but I guess that's nothing new at this point.

OvineYeast posted:

Certainly, but disillusionment or not, when it comes down to it somebody with Angela Eagle's politics is almost certainly not going to draw the votes of people who joined up hoping for a leftward shift in Labour.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

John Mann was approached six months ago to back Owen Smith for Labour leader just in case you were wondering how long this has been in the works.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Away from Corbyn for a minute, have an article written by Pete Oborne: Theresa May: Dull but dangerous

oborne is usually good but gove is neither capable or charismatic

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Doesn't 'making sure it doesn't happen until the last day of conference' basically stop the left-wing from passing any number of anti-Blairite things at the conference? With the leadership in question, any motions to reign in the PLP are dead before they make it to the agenda? So even if they lose again, they have at least staved off the bloodshed for another year (when they can repeat the same backstabbing to push it again). The Blairiites have shown they can game the rules better than Corbyns lot by having no scruples.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

he was. quotes of him wanting to privatise the NHS that will get him absolutely savaged if he becomes leader

What quotes?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HorseLord posted:

1) Occupying power oppresses the poo poo out of people with murderous cops.
2) Occupied people fight back.
3) Occupying power sends in Army, which then oppresses the victims of the cops even more.

It's incredible that you're trying to say that 3) was really the British government trying to protect victims of it's own Police force. I say incredible as in, not credible. It's the most unbelievable thing ever, the claim makes no sense and is not supported by what actually happened; what those soldiers actually did.

Northern Ireland had its own government from 1922-1972 that was responsible for policing. The "British government" had no part in it until the Stormont government proved unable to prevent violence or keep order.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Get in to work, put on the radio, first song is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

Please don't be an omen :tinfoil:
Labor will die, Conservative will die sooner or later. You opened the floodgates now accept the consequences. The UK and US are now even on Bush moments, so

Karma.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Noxville posted:

Surely the more they piss off the membership, the more votes Corbyn gets?
You'd think, but neither you nor I are the political masterminds that the PLP have repeatedly proven themselves to be.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Northern Ireland had its own government from 1922-1972 that was responsible for policing. The "British government" had no part in it until the Stormont government proved unable to prevent violence or keep order.

Unionists are plastic englishmen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

In Tory eyes he is, which is what's important here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Well yes, the idea that Gove is able is obviously laughable, but the part of the article that focuses on her weak points was worth a read.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Cerebral Bore posted:

Certainly, but disillusionment or not, when it comes down to it somebody with Angela Eagle's politics is almost certainly not going to draw the votes of people who joined up hoping for a leftward shift in Labour.

Does Eagle even have politics? She doesn't talk much about them.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Basically Ed Miliband.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Well, there is this nasty little meme going around.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HorseLord posted:

Unionists are plastic englishmen.

whoops didn't take long for the veil to drop and go into full on turbo nationalist mode

nationalism is a disease hope this helps

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Goves last two jobs have been moj and campaign whatsit of leave and he has been v able in both. He was unpopular among teachers at dfe but who hasn't been

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Sure, they become memes on Twitter.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

What quotes?

http://news.crocels.com/news/8412/owen-smith-labour-nhs-private-sector-involvement/

The quote is

“We believe that choice is a good thing and that patients and healthcare professionals should be at the heart of developing the agenda,”

Which isnt that bad. If he actually said "privatise" and "NHS" in the same sentance he'd be dead in the water already.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Goves last two jobs have been moj and campaign whatsit of leave and he has been v able in both. He was unpopular among teachers at dfe but who hasn't been

I'm pretty sure nobody in the leave campaign was able in anything.

it's kind of off-putting how quick some people are to just go right back to the Tories, I mean they spent years kicking me in the balls but surely they won't kick me in the balls again if I go back right??? At least they're doing something(even if that something is taking advantage of the situation to gently caress over everyone more)!

it's basically a "at least the trains ran on time" argument,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

massive spider posted:

http://news.crocels.com/news/8412/owen-smith-labour-nhs-private-sector-involvement/

The quote is

“We believe that choice is a good thing and that patients and healthcare professionals should be at the heart of developing the agenda,”

Which isnt that bad. If he actually said "privatise" and "NHS" in the same sentance he'd be dead in the water already.

It's not bad at all

• Locked thread