Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Pfft, I wish I had a popular tumbler :colbert:

You've got the goods! What I might suggest though is that you use more of a rougher, raster approach to your boards. Frequently people want to see simpler, sketchier imagery in the development stages. This instils a sense of the idea rather than the aesthetic taking precedence, with something so secondary as the imagined visual direction taking a back seat to the thematical.

Being precious in my boards visually is what cost me my first adventure time boards. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

My new website header. I've moved to London and if you need an animator well LOOK NO FURTHER.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bitmap posted:

My new website header. I've moved to London and if you need an animator well LOOK NO FURTHER.
love it!!! reminds me of chris o hara

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Frederator is a little more open to pitches than most networks are I think because they're very much into curating ~online content.~ Like I pitched em an extremely sloppy pilotboard a year and a half ago and I'm just some dick

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I will never get an animation job.
https://twitter.com/bizarspel/status/733369424498065409
Beep boop I am a bad animator.

HelloWinter posted:

Hello again!! I decided to take the challenge of starting and completing an animation within a day. This is what came up.

Oh hey, it's you from twitter. Cool stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the McElroy reference.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Nice wand flourish :c00l:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Ccs posted:

I like the McElroy reference.
McElroy bros for lyfe. I used to just listen to mbmbam then after I came back after a brief hiatus there was polygon vids and like a thousand podcasts to catch back up on.

bitmap posted:

Nice wand flourish :c00l:
Cheers, that's the one bit I'm proud of.

This was like my first proper 2D animation thing in something like 4 or 5 years or something, you can see at the beginning how terrible it is compared to the end. I think in the future I need to spend more time redoing roughs if I'm not happy with them rather than just rushing forward.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

make thing so get job maybe???

https://vimeo.com/167566292

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016
Pimping my reels!

Film: https://vimeo.com/113465371

Game: https://vimeo.com/141590351

Keyframe test I did: https://vimeo.com/149231790

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

bitmap posted:

make thing so get job maybe???

https://vimeo.com/167566292

did thing! got job!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you're a total pro, btw

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

bitmap posted:

did thing! got job!

Congrats! I'm waiting on a company in Amsterdam to look at my animation test for a job at this very moment, hoping to hear the same good news.

Anybody know what a reasonable salary would be as a Junior Animator in Amsterdam would be?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 27, 2016

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

Frederator is a little more open to pitches than most networks are I think because they're very much into curating ~online content.~ Like I pitched em an extremely sloppy pilotboard a year and a half ago and I'm just some dick

Me too, I pitched something around August 2014 and I'm pretty much a nobody.
I may have shared the board here before? Regardless, I can't look at that board anymore, it's so bad, pretty much everything they said was true. There was basically no real "plot" or stakes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, I pitched too, probably a year and a half ago. I got a lot of great feedback that made me really rethink what I was doing, and I thought that experience was super valuable. I wish I took the time to pitch to them again though, they seemed to like my pitch well enough even though it needed work.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

well I'm just keen as mustard to try this out

https://vimeo.com/channels/greasepencil

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bitmap posted:

well I'm just keen as mustard to try this out

https://vimeo.com/channels/greasepencil

Is it allowing manipulation like that without rigging? That's pretty nifty. I like the 3d camera work in that too. OT has Z planing, but that blows it out of the water. I might have to learn Blender when they perfect that.

BTW bitmap, I'm making a loop for this month's entry for Prank! I'll post it up when I'm done. I'm a little more than halfway finished. All done in Opentoonz of course. :)

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

All done in Opentoonz of course. :)

Has OpenToonz become more accessible to people lately? I have it installed but I haven't touched it ever since it first came out. GreasePencil looks to be just amazing and I can't wait for it!

I'm working on a pet game with a designer and a couple programmers. Here are a few of the idle animations. My goal while doing these was to learn how to stay consistent with the original designs, but I found it difficult to ease myself out from having the animation becoming super stiff after cleanup. I think I managed to do good animation on the red ball dude because I wasn't as afraid to be off model by using squash and stretch principles.

I need to fix the pop on the pink bat's right arm :( All done in Flash CS6.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HelloWinter posted:

Has OpenToonz become more accessible to people lately? I have it installed but I haven't touched it ever since it first came out.

I'd say yes. Making a new project automatically makes your folder system now. Save All was added instead of saving every aspect separately. The onion skinning change is great and one of the best I've seen.

It still crashes about once a week for me though. I tend to constantly save a 01 and 02 file version for everything just to make sure I don't lose work.

It's working enough to publish projects with relative ease. Watch someone like Mr Dan Insane on Youtube, and I bet coming from Flash you would be up and running in like a week or two.

With that being said, I'd jump ship if Blender can use that grease tool without xsheet rigging. :) It's not hard to rig, but what a time saver since I wouldn't have to rig then use the plastic tool.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is it allowing manipulation like that without rigging? That's pretty nifty. I like the 3d camera work in that too. OT has Z planing, but that blows it out of the water. I might have to learn Blender when they perfect that.

BTW bitmap, I'm making a loop for this month's entry for Prank! I'll post it up when I'm done. I'm a little more than halfway finished. All done in Opentoonz of course. :)

Yeah I'm a little surprised at what I'm seeing there. It must all be vector, ostensibly? Some of the textured brushes seem to resample on transforming (in another of the demo videos on that page) but then there seems to be a raster watercolour brush. I think the "rigging" you see there is just soft transforming an area? I'm sure there are much more sophisticated rigging tools you could slap up in blender if you've given up on life and you want rigging tools.

Can't wait to see the loop! I moved to London and got asked to set up the London loopdeloop night again, but I don't know anybody. I hope I get a spare week to enter this round!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

hmm, I'm going back over all the videos and it's defs all vector. It looks pretty impressive, though. What I thought was the watercolour tool seems like a brush from Krita (which supports image sequences? hmm!) which was then put back into blender for comping.

This is getting closer to my dream animation software, a raster 2d space with great brush, layer and masking options over a 3d space. I'll give this all a go after my contract ends and get back to you.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
So I'm gonna go to school at animation mentor in the fall but I can't wait that long. I want to learn NOW. So I'm gonna get my feet wet with 2D animation while I wait. I plan to study around 5 hours a day, should I just dive in to the animation survival kit book? Cause thats what I think I should do, but if anyone has some good tips please let me know!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What experience do you have with animation so far? Can you draw?

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

neonnoodle posted:

What experience do you have with animation so far? Can you draw?

Little to zero experience in animation, I've been drawing for about 40 hours a week for the last month and a half, I have proportions and perspective down to a minor extent and I'm guessing these are the real major points to animation? Like as long as you have proper steady proportions and your perspective isn't off you are set right?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Stuff4and5 posted:

should I just dive in to the animation survival kit book?

yes!

Stuff4and5 posted:

Like as long as you have proper steady proportions and your perspective isn't off you are set right?

well no but it sure helps

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Stuff4and5 posted:

Little to zero experience in animation, I've been drawing for about 40 hours a week for the last month and a half, I have proportions and perspective down to a minor extent and I'm guessing these are the real major points to animation? Like as long as you have proper steady proportions and your perspective isn't off you are set right?
It's probably a good idea for you to work on your thumbnail/gesture/pose drawing. Poses that would take you 10-15 minutes to dial in on a 3D rig can take you literally 10 seconds to draw. If you use a 2D program for pose testing you can work out a lot of issues (if not your entire shot) before you even touch the rig.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

neonnoodle posted:

It's probably a good idea for you to work on your thumbnail/gesture/pose drawing. Poses that would take you 10-15 minutes to dial in on a 3D rig can take you literally 10 seconds to draw. If you use a 2D program for pose testing you can work out a lot of issues (if not your entire shot) before you even touch the rig.

I make sure to study at least 2 hours of it a day! I already made a little walk cycle to test things out, excited to put it together and see how it looks tonight! This stuff is exciting! Yeah!!!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a great website for starting w/ animation? Like basics and stuff.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stuff4and5 posted:

I make sure to study at least 2 hours of it a day! I already made a little walk cycle to test things out, excited to put it together and see how it looks tonight! This stuff is exciting! Yeah!!!

Not to throw doubt, but show us your stuff. I want to see the extents of someone who says they're diligent with practicing

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Futaba Anzu posted:

Not to throw doubt, but show us your stuff. I want to see the extents of someone who says they're diligent with practicing

Yes, please post and show us what you have so far. When you ask for suggestions about what to work on, it's hard to give useful guidance without knowing where you're at.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

Futaba Anzu posted:

Well I don't have any animations or anything as I'm just jumping in to that but I can show you guys my sketches and stuff?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
yes

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
https://www.mediafire.com/?u8nwiacy...n1os7madxglx3xx Ok I picked out a bunch of stuff to show what I've been working on. Mostly figure, some anonymity, shading, line work, and a little perspective.

http://imgur.com/Xjm47sv
Edit: And there he goes... my first walk!

Stuff4and5 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 13, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Stuff4and5 posted:

Ok I picked out a bunch of stuff to show what I've been working on. Mostly figure, some anonymity, shading, line work, and a little perspective.

I do illustration/painting not animation but I can critique your drawings if it helps.

I think one area that needs quite a bit of work is your line quality. If you look at the figure in 016.png you can see you just outlined the whole thing with a bunch of super short lines of random thickness. Varying line weights is good but you need to vary them based on how much light that edge is getting. Your pencil sketches are better by a lot compared to the digital pieces but you pet your lines a ton and use way too many small short strokes. You might benefit by looking up some ink tutorials (SVSLearn has a good one but there are plenty enough out there) and try working with real ink. They'll have you practice on making straight lines, circles, curves, etc. Not the most exciting stuff but it's going to help teach you control and give you more confident, flowing lines.

Doing the value studies on simple 3D objects is good practice and you should keep doing those. If you can master simple shapes, then you can combine those simple shapes to make more complex ones. As you try to shade more complicated objects also remember that big picture >>> small details always. You want your shadows and lit areas to be distinct from one another even if you squint your eyes. Make sure you are consistent on what direction the light is coming from too. If you need to, just add a little arrow to your drawing to show the direction of the light. Once you've settled on a direction, think about what surfaces on the object are going to be hit the light and which will be missed. That'll help you with your robot dude who looks pretty splotchy as he is right now. If you have time, do a few life studies with just random stuff in the house, those are useful practice for learning to simplify values too.

Would also second Neonnoodle's earlier recommendation for gesture drawing. Do that every day if you can.

I wouldn't worry too much about color right now. Your examples of it aren't great (in fact they are the worst of the bunch) but color is an additional layer of complexity on top of everything else so don't overwhelm yourself by doing too much right off the bat. I'd focus on stuff like line and value for now.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Stuff4and5 posted:

https://www.mediafire.com/?u8nwiacy...n1os7madxglx3xx Ok I picked out a bunch of stuff to show what I've been working on. Mostly figure, some anonymity, shading, line work, and a little perspective.

http://imgur.com/Xjm47sv
Edit: And there he goes... my first walk!

This might not seem relevant but how old are you? I'm hesitant to go into further details for critique without knowing a bit more about your age and school/artistic background. However, I can offer some general tips below:

The range of quality in here is pretty all over the place. In pics 16 and 17, did you trace over your reference photographs? I ask because all of your other drawings are... well, proportion-wise and perspective-wise they're very off (compare 16 and 17 to picture j, for example). 16 and 17 are proportionally spot on, but the lines don't make sense for how someone with your skill level would draw unless there was a guide to draw over. Don't do that, it won't help you get better at drawing.

Buy yourself a real sketchbook instead of using loose-leaf notebook paper, if you're serious about drawing get a dedicated place to keep your drawings. You can find one at wal-mart or whatever for about $7, it doesn't need to be ~super high artist quality~ or whatever, just a dedicated place you can keep your analog drawings.

Lastly just use Imgur or some other hosting service and post your images inline like most other people in the Creative Convention forum do, your mediafire file collection is slow-loading and opens up tons of extra tabs in my browser. Just use "[img]paste address of image here[/img]" tags in your post, you want to make it as easy as possible for other people to see your work if you want feedback.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

You're going to find it a touch difficult expressing nuanced motion without committing a more confident, form-conscious line about your drawings. We're all going to fall over ourselves telling you to study the basics and to do life drawing and to drop the hairy lines and to not worry about digitalizing your work until you're more confident with traditional media is this in a sticky?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah you need some serious work on your drawing fundamentals. In AM it doesn't matter all that much for the curriculum, but drawing is going to make you a better animator because a lot of good animation principles are based on visual design (like line of action, clear silhouette reading, and visual rhythm).

Go through the Preston Blair animation book and copy the drawings. It'll be better practice than doing drawings of Nintendo characters for now (though there's nothing specifically wrong with drawing Nintendos). Like JuniperCake said, you need to improve your line quality. Starting today, never draw on lined paper again. Draw from your shoulder, not your wrist. The Andrew Loomis books will also be helpful for you to learn how to draw believable solid forms and turn them in space.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

gmc9987 posted:

This might not seem relevant but how old are you? I'm hesitant to go into further details for critique without knowing a bit more about your age and school/artistic background. However, I can offer some general tips below:

The range of quality in here is pretty all over the place. In pics 16 and 17, did you trace over your reference photographs? I ask because all of your other drawings are... well, proportion-wise and perspective-wise they're very off (compare 16 and 17 to picture j, for example). 16 and 17 are proportionally spot on, but the lines don't make sense for how someone with your skill level would draw unless there was a guide to draw over. Don't do that, it won't help you get better at drawing.

Buy yourself a real sketchbook instead of using loose-leaf notebook paper, if you're serious about drawing get a dedicated place to keep your drawings. You can find one at wal-mart or whatever for about $7, it doesn't need to be ~super high artist quality~ or whatever, just a dedicated place you can keep your analog drawings.

Lastly just use Imgur or some other hosting service and post your images inline like most other people in the Creative Convention forum do, your mediafire file collection is slow-loading and opens up tons of extra tabs in my browser. Just use "[timg]paste address of image here[/timg]" tags in your post, you want to make it as easy as possible for other people to see your work if you want feedback.

23, and my experience is pretty much just drawing stick figure comics when I was around 13. But I drew a bunch of them, I had a pretty thick stack of paper going. But literally I am at the very very beginning of this subject I took it on mostly to do better 3D work but Im willing to master it. Yes those were me practicing straight lines/line placement in photoshop haha I wish I could draw that well!

I plan to use the notebook up until its full as its one of my goals but after that I will get one.

I tried Imgur but it just wasn't cooperating with me I think having all those drawings at once uploaded messed it up.

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah you need some serious work on your drawing fundamentals. In AM it doesn't matter all that much for the curriculum, but drawing is going to make you a better animator because a lot of good animation principles are based on visual design (like line of action, clear silhouette reading, and visual rhythm).

Go through the Preston Blair animation book and copy the drawings. It'll be better practice than doing drawings of Nintendo characters for now (though there's nothing specifically wrong with drawing Nintendos). Like JuniperCake said, you need to improve your line quality. Starting today, never draw on lined paper again. Draw from your shoulder, not your wrist. The Andrew Loomis books will also be helpful for you to learn how to draw believable solid forms and turn them in space.

I will check it out thank you. I will definitely no longer ever ever use my wrist to draw again either, starting today its all arm.

I'm starting to think though that with the amount of time and energy in to this but I should be seeing better results at this point. I sketch daily poses from a figure drawing site and I study anatomy from that book you mentioned. I seriously have just pages and pages that are scribbled all over from overlapping work of pose after pose. Most of the Nintendo sketches are reward breaks I give myself to keep me from losing my mind.

Basically my usual practice is just making sure I study lots of gestures, anatomy, getting good with the tablet, values, and proportions. It might seem like a lot for me to start on but I can only do one thing for so long.

If you guys have directed studying tips for me I would follow them judiciously as of right now powering through whatever I might think is best may not actually be as effective as I was thinking?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Stuff4and5 posted:

I plan to use the notebook up until its full as its one of my goals but after that I will get one.

Your new goal should be to start a new sketchbook and fill that up, drawing on loose leaf notebook paper won't you at all. If you're serious about learning to draw and animate at all, that includes taking your materials seriously- You don't need super-expensive cold-press rag paper or anything but you should use something whose specific purpose is for drawing rather than jotting down notes during a lecture.

Other than that, uh, draw more. Take a lot of figure drawing classes. Search out people who are better than you who will give you an honest appraisal of your work (like, say, teachers from a life drawing class). Sign up for drawing classes at community college or something nearby. Visit an artists' studio in your city. Do something to get away from drawing photographs on your computer monitor. Stop drawing your lined-paper notebook. People are more likely to give you useful/insightful feedback if it is their job to do so, we can only point you in a general direction. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It sounds like you're trying to begin with too much all at once. Some of your stuff is pretty decent for just having started art again for the first time in 10 years, but IMO you should forget about animation for the time being, and hold off on using a tablet. Those will come in time but right now they're probably just confusing you. Draw more from real life, or at least pictures of actual things, rather than video game renders or other people's 2d art. Go to a class/ figure drawing in real life if at all possible so you can surround yourself with other artists. And yeah ditch the drat notebook.