Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Red is Dead posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Evans is gone from Top Gear.

I kind of hope he's gone from TV entirely at least as a host. The man just doesn't look good on camera.

E: Wait, is it related to the groping scandal or to him being poo poo at his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the Beeb would be better to cut their losses and call time on Top Gear. Acknowledge that you can't rebuild a global audience overnight on loyalty to the brand name alone, maybe keep the magazine going, and try again as a "serious" motoring show a few years down the line.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It rakes in so much cash that you can't blame em for trying to patch it up. Hell, maybe the American's haven't noticed it's poo poo even now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It rakes in so much cash that you can't blame em for trying to patch it up. Hell, maybe the American's haven't noticed it's poo poo even now.

They have.
https://heatst.com/uk/top-gears-ratings-decline-for-second-week-bbc-america-admits/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Didn't the last couple of episodes see a big upswing in viewers?

Saying that, Evans was the definition of trying too hard. LeBlanc and those other guys were a much better fit, and had better energy, than Evans and his overexcited child bit.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Great, this means he'll never leave the Radio 2 show and my dream of having Sara Cox on in the mornings is dashed again

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does she still think Enoch Powell is the best prime minister Britain never had?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did she ever? :stare:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe the Beeb would be better to cut their losses and call time on Top Gear. Acknowledge that you can't rebuild a global audience overnight on loyalty to the brand name alone, maybe keep the magazine going, and try again as a "serious" motoring show a few years down the line.

I think that if Grand Tour does anywhere near the numbers it needs to be a success for Amazon that the Beep will drop Top Gear with extreme prejidice (as in rip it off of Dave extreme even) as it'll probably leave them feeling sore for dropping Clarkson (Which,, don't get me wrong, was the right move, that being that being the bitch of it all) and having VOD and the Internet show them up even more than it is right now.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 4, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was Sarah Kennedy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of Sarah Kennedy. :shobon:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of Sarah Kennedy. :shobon:

Phew! Anyway, back to my solemn hopes and dreams that maybe Evans will now get the hint and quietly disappear from all forms of broadcasting forever. Or better yet, maroon him in a slot which reaches no-one

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway, I heard one of the old old Top Gear presenters (i.e. from the 1977 show) on the news on Radio 2 earlier this evening and he was lamenting how Evans had this reputation for coming in as a presenter and producer and changing how things are done in new and innovative ways, but then he switched on the first episode of his Top Gear series and saw... Evans trying and failing to ape Clarkson and the old format. I guess it's a cautionary tale about making a fanboy the face of the series.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goatface posted:

That was Sarah Kennedy.

Wasn't she mostly bollocksed?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She certainly had long periods of being tired and emotional.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Didn't the last couple of episodes see a big upswing in viewers?

Saying that, Evans was the definition of trying too hard. LeBlanc and those other guys were a much better fit, and had better energy, than Evans and his overexcited child bit.

I find it less overexcited child and more person on an edge of a nervous meltdown or a manic depressive during an upswing. His voice just has this weird desperate pleading quality to it which drove me mad.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, I heard one of the old old Top Gear presenters (i.e. from the 1977 show) on the news on Radio 2 earlier this evening and he was lamenting how Evans had this reputation for coming in as a presenter and producer and changing how things are done in new and innovative ways, but then he switched on the first episode of his Top Gear series and saw... Evans trying and failing to ape Clarkson and the old format. I guess it's a cautionary tale about making a fanboy the face of the series.

It's so weird how they kept the stig, the audience chamber and the celeb bits. They weren't good on normal top gear.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 5, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This Life Stripped Bare thing on Channel 4 is just... so Channel 4. Why not just bring back Eurotrash full time rather than this shite?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This Life Stripped Bare thing on Channel 4 is just... so Channel 4. Why not just bring back Eurotrash full time rather than this shite?

I watched it a bit earlier and it was just ugly people standing about awkwardly with boxes and now I've turned it back on again it's an ugly person dyeing their hair followed by closeups of tooth floss.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Wow Chris Kamara absolutely killed it on successville. He's obviously a fair bit smarter than his persona.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Has anyone watched the drama Spotless? It's appeared on Netflix - I'll watch it because Miranda Raison, but wandering if it's actually good....

ps Is it just me or is this thread less active these days? I know for me personally I'm struggling to find much UK drama or comedy to interrupt my Netflix binges.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2016

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm struggling to find much UK drama or comedy to interrupt my Netflix binges.

Same here. Only thing I've watched and enjoyed recently is Poldark. I tried that new one about the aliens by the Misfits guy, but it was poo poo, so I've been reduced to binge watching Inspector Morse.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Flatscan posted:

Same here. Only thing I've watched and enjoyed recently is Poldark. I tried that new one about the aliens by the Misfits guy, but it was poo poo, so I've been reduced to binge watching Inspector Morse.

And Then There Were None around Christmas was pretty amazing and starred the Poldark guy. Not sure if its available streaming but it looks like other sources have it.

This weeks Murder In Successville was good, liked the Vindr subplot and the impressions were pretty funny apart from Shia Labeouf. I've always found them extremely hit and miss in the past.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Topgear should have dropped the stig. Evans and Leblanc doing the intros was the point I realised they were just going to ape the old format completely.
Stig was a mildly funny gimmick but they have a real racing driver presenter now and barely used her

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope the former hosts have a Stig-like gimmick character in their Amazon shows just to render Top Gear's Stig even more pointless.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Stare-Out posted:

I hope the former hosts have a Stig-like gimmick character in their Amazon shows just to render Top Gear's Stig even more pointless.

they used the guy who was the old stig (ben Collins) in some live show they did after clarkson got fired

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Anybody watched The Living And The Dead? Considering giving it a go.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The BBC isn't closing News 24. I kind of wish they would, but then not reduce their news and current affairs budget. Put out some good investigative journalism, less desperately making stories from nothing because they need to fill hours.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait I missed a trick; when was that on the table?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The 2015/16 BBC annual report was just released. Last time the BBC was savaged by the government they were told to consider their programming that was available on other channels. So the Trust has gone on a general review of their "products".

They're still deciding on what to do with it, but it's definitely not closing (which sky news were probably hoping for).

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait I missed a trick; when was that on the table?

They were going to merge it with BBC World, their internationally-focused 24-hour news channel that the UK doesn't get (apart from at the middle of the night.)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Merging with BBC World is fraught with massive issues of a technical nature. How World is distributed with commercial opt-outs wouldn't work for the domestic audience. Doing it the other way around is easier and then you can have opt-outs for UK shows. But either way it's really messy from a presentation point of view.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watch a ton of online channels that just put logos up when they can't show the commercial breaks from the master feed. It's no big deal. And most commercials are timed specifically, so overlaying different localised video while they run isn't hard either, and has been done for years anyway.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You can't simulcast that on the main BBC channels though. So maybe those channels need to have their own separate shows instead of sharing. Which costs money. Depends how much compared to losing News 24 as a channel on its own.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

They killed News 24 already eight years ago
BBC News is totally different and not just a pointlessly expensive rebrand

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Flatscan posted:

I tried that new one about the aliens by the Misfits guy, but it was poo poo,

What was this? (and how poo poo?)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cerv posted:

They killed News 24 already eight years ago
BBC News is totally different and not just a pointlessly expensive rebrand

Aye, I know, nobody calls it News Channel though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Unkempt posted:

What was this? (and how poo poo?)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-aliens

Very poo poo.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hmm. Yeah, going to trust you on this one.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mellomeh posted:

Did anyone watch Flowers? Wonderful show - probably the best thing C4's aired since Black Mirror.

I tried this from your recommendation, and ended up watching the entire series in one evening, thank you. I think it's the best thing I've seen in years. I hope there's a second series at least. I feel like getting my old Jam DVD out now too.

Does anyone know if there'll be a third series of Detectorists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Loving Murder in Successville, especially the Gordon Ramsay police chief. What the gently caress is thaaaaat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4xd-34TJ0E