Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Brad really needs to personally vet all his interpersonal associations and life choices with the SA Internet Critic thread before he does anything

Oh gently caress off. Seeing Doug and Rob in the cast list for this was like seeing Adam Sandler show up in the trailer for Pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PassTheRemote posted:

Oh gently caress off. Seeing Doug and Rob in the cast list for this was like seeing Adam Sandler show up in the trailer for Pixels.

I dunno man the difference there is Pixels looked like poo poo and Sandler just made sure it wouldn't even be 'so bad it's funny' because he's in some weird ego focused form of 'comedy' too deep to be a buffoon anymore I guess.

This is more like if you saw Sandler had a bit part in a movie that already looked cute? Like, not great but I'm really not gonna throw it in the dumpster fire just because the name Doug came up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PassTheRemote posted:

Adam Sandler didn't really show up so much as craft a film around how awesome and amazing he is and how the only flaw he ever had was that once someone cheated and made him lose a game of Donkey Kong. But the power was inside him all along and he really IS the best that ever was and he single handedly saved the day.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/t5FNBXK4BRw

Night Mind had a really interesting somewhat-Marxist analysis of Inside, a video game about bodies and science.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Santa Christ isn't a funny character and they really poured him on thick in Kickassia. I don't dislike anyone involved really but the idea feels half baked. Terrible name to boot.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

pr0p posted:

Santa Christ isn't a funny character and they really poured him on thick in Kickassia. I don't dislike anyone involved really but the idea feels half baked. Terrible name to boot.
I gotta agree. I think Doug thinks it's funny, or Rob does and no one wants to break his heart.

I understand the concept and the humor, but it still feels like half a joke for some reason, or a joke that's too thin, sort of stretched like butter scraped over too much bread...

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Mraagvpeine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qVNTtjHnQ

Hmm, looks like Brad's going to make a movie that makes fun of Christian movies. I can only imagine how the makers of those awful Christian movies are going to react. Let's see, what else?

*looks at actor list*

... Oh dear.

I'm in this too. ;) I can tell you the plot isn't centered on Santa Christ, he's just part of it.

So around what point do they realize this show is masturbation fodder for a lot of people and stop doing Hobie romance stories? Because that point can't come soon enough.

And Cort is back! :woop: :woop: :woop:

Basically when Hobie becomes too old to be cutesy anymore, he takes a backseat and they stop trying to put him in weird romances. Except for the Baywatch movie, which pairs him up with Summer (?). And that's probably one of the less baffling hook ups in that thing.

Blindside is Cort's best episode btw, truly an amazing melodramatic adventure. Worth it for Giant Gonzales as the Pelican Man.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MrSlam posted:

I think Doug thinks it's funny, or Rob does and no one wants to break his heart.

Isn't this all of TGWTG.txt in a nutshell?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Is it time for a Doug Walker sucks/FreeBrad tug? Yay, my favorite part of the thread. I wonder what will win out, the love of Alison and Brad's work or the hate of Doug and Rob's.

Are there any reviewers of gas out there?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
guys, stop having a seizure fit whenever Doug is mentioned. He didn't murder your dog.

Anyway, I'm glad that Brad is doing more things. He's a good man. Should never do a game show, though

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ElNarez posted:

https://vimeo.com/169002663

Sean Witzke of Travis Bickle On The Riviera is doing a series of video essays on Tarantino's The Hateful Eight and the first episode is super great.

I've been following Sean since his comic book days and he hands down my favorite critic, really glad that he continues to do video and solo stuff. Too bad that since Grantland collapsed no one offers him to write freelance articles, good thing there is Patreon now,

Travis Bickle on the Riviera is the best podcast for people who love John Carpenter and Johnnie To but hate superheroes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm in this too. ;)

I knew that. What I was worried about was you and the Walker brothers working together after you parted ways with them a year and a half ago.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

somekindofguy posted:

Is it time for a Doug Walker sucks

I mean, you can talk about how great a character Santa Christ is if you want.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus Brad actually knows how to make movies, I'm pretty sure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm in this too. ;) I can tell you the plot isn't centered on Santa Christ, he's just part of it.

Basically when Hobie becomes too old to be cutesy anymore, he takes a backseat and they stop trying to put him in weird romances. Except for the Baywatch movie, which pairs him up with Summer (?). And that's probably one of the less baffling hook ups in that thing.

Blindside is Cort's best episode btw, truly an amazing melodramatic adventure. Worth it for Giant Gonzales as the Pelican Man.

Oh, so we're not gonna get a Hobie 3?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

That's really the thing. Brad and James Rolfe absolutely loving love movies and have been making then since forever basically. The AVGN film wasn't great and I don't too much care for some of what Brad does but you can see the genuine passion there. The stuff Doug heads up is just a bunch of TGWTG personalities jerking around and making in-jokes.

I was gonna ask if Doug hates being so typecast as the Critic but he obviously does. He tried to literally kill the character off and people complained to the point he needed to bring it back.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I knew that. What I was worried about was you and the Walker brothers working together after you parted ways with them a year and a half ago.

I don't think we'll have any scenes together, Santa Christ and I are fairly minor parts from what I understand. I haven't seen a script yet. But even if we did, I could act with them in someone else's production.

Oh, so we're not gonna get a Hobie 3?

Nope, but Mitch eventually starts trying to collect children to adopt in an attempt to make David Hasselhoff seem younger. The most hilarious one is a small child he adopts just before the Hawaii seasons, so he fucks off and the kid is never mentioned again.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Nope, but Mitch eventually starts trying to collect children to adopt in an attempt to make David Hasselhoff seem younger. The most hilarious one is a small child he adopts just before the Hawaii seasons, so he fucks off and the kid is never mentioned again.

The kid is still squatting at his house, feeding off the lifetime of supply of A&W Cream Soda and frozen hamburgers. They just pray Mitch never returns to find they've been cutting into his meat supply.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Well the Cinemasnob movie was all right, Spoony was a character in it and he was well just adequate. He said his lines and kept the plot moving and then left. He wasn't the worst internet vlogger tries acting I've seen, he was about on par with an extra that speaks.

Though the watching it again is a bit weird since it leans really heavily on Brad's friendship with the guy who voiced that Nintendo robot and had that very nasty falling out.

So I might watch this one, maybe. :shrug:

Chive Manerby
Jan 29, 2009
So it looks like Kim Justice is writing some articles for Retro Gamer magazine:
http://youtu.be/sH6m5l4vvF0

That's awesome! I subscribe to Retro Gamer and I know I'll be seeking those out when I get my next issue. Congrats!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

Well the Cinemasnob movie was all right, Spoony was a character in it and he was well just adequate. He said his lines and kept the plot moving and then left. He wasn't the worst internet vlogger tries acting I've seen, he was about on par with an extra that speaks.

Though the watching it again is a bit weird since it leans really heavily on Brad's friendship with the guy who voiced that Nintendo robot and had that very nasty falling out.

So I might watch this one, maybe. :shrug:

If I could critique on the internet for a moment, I recall the lighting being not great and I didn't find the villain believable. No offense to that Cinema Slob guy (who I've talked to and seemed nice) but the lines, the delivery, the costume, and/or the motivation just didn't add up to intimidating dirty cop. It's been a while since I've seen it, but Brad's writing kind of comes off as if he's trying to riff something. Everybody kind of talks like they're stand-up comedians trying to make fun of something, and makes as many exploitation film references as possible no matter how it affects the flow. There's lots of good moments too though don't get me wrong.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Miss Wallace posted:

Nope, but Mitch eventually starts trying to collect children to adopt in an attempt to make David Hasselhoff seem younger.

no wonder the kids montage is his favourite, he wants an army of kid life guards.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

no wonder the kids montage is his favourite, he wants an army of kid life guards.

I read an article recently that said Leonardo DiCaprio was nearly cast as Hobie, but David Hasselhoff said no because he wanted someone younger to make him appear younger too.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Does it still count as his save if his tiny minions do it?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

Does it still count as his save if his tiny minions do it?

He's taught every lifeguard on the beach hasn't he? I'm imagining him tossing kids out of the way to get to a save. Complete with Allison's stock punch sound effect.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

David Hasslehoff is the sadder, 90s version of William Shatner.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The 150th Anime Abandon is out. It's on Elfen Lied.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
And man, sage is pretty harsh on it, but not nearly harsh enough in my opinion. The anime is total garbage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

e X posted:

And man, sage is pretty harsh on it, but not nearly harsh enough in my opinion. The anime is total garbage.

Well, he did take more than a few blows to the head :v:.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like and subscribe to Kim Justice but even with video evidence I can't believe it's a woman. Like I watched the video twice, parts of it with my eyes closed, and had a third party also do the same. That voice!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Balthesar posted:

I like and subscribe to Kim Justice but even with video evidence I can't believe it's a woman. Like I watched the video twice, parts of it with my eyes closed, and had a third party also do the same. That voice!

Please don't.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 150th Anime Abandon is out. It's on Elfen Lied.

Elfen Lied is one of those anime that I was recommended by a lot of friends (including non-anime folk) and when I tried to watch it- well, that girl pees herself a little too much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Elfen Lied is one of those anime that I was recommended by a lot of friends (including non-anime folk) and when I tried to watch it- well, that girl pees herself a little too much.

You have bad friends

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleCakes posted:

It's the highschool dividing line between weebs and mega weebs.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It also inspired a cool Anime Suicide Cult

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Rich Evans explains in their Pokemon Go gameplay video that the joke they made about Jeremy Jahns, Christ Stuckmann, and Armored Skeptic for the Ghostbusters re:View was just improv. Rich started off doing his Overly Enthusiastic Host voice, Mike chimed in with the rear end in a top hat Youtuber comment, and Rich threw in the red curtain line, and they just looked for other Youtubers with red curtain backgrounds. But now everyone in the comment section thinks they all vehemently hate those guys now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Rich Evans explains in their Pokemon Go gameplay video that the joke they made about Jeremy Jahns, Christ Stuckmann, and Armored Skeptic for the Ghostbusters re:View was just improv. Rich started off doing his Overly Enthusiastic Host voice, Mike chimed in with the rear end in a top hat Youtuber comment, and Rich threw in the red curtain line, and they just looked for other Youtubers with red curtain backgrounds. But now everyone in the comment section thinks they all vehemently hate those guys now.

Yeah, like don't they actually like and follow Struckman? I seem to remember there being a bit of overlap between them at one point on either YouTube and/or Twitter.

Armored Skeptic for his part seemed to have a sense of humour about it. One of the top comments on that vid is him going "Hey, I know one of those assholes! :v:"

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 14, 2016

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mraagvpeine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qVNTtjHnQ

Hmm, looks like Brad's going to make a movie that makes fun of Christian movies. I can only imagine how the makers of those awful Christian movies are going to react. Let's see, what else?

*looks at actor list*

... Oh dear.

On the other hand, you get Malcolm Ray's "The Devil" character, so the scales have been balanced.

I've thrown in my $30 for early access DVD.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Also, re: "Jesus, Bro".

I love that the timeline for this movie seems to be:

- off hand comment in a Midnight Screenings, when it was mentioned that these Pureflix movies are basically shat out on minimal budget, and have a built in audience who will shovel over money-- "We should do one of these". "A parody of them?" "no, just poo poo out a movie like this and make money"
- A while later, Brad reviews the Christiano Bro movie that has the namesake line. The Christianos then go around the Internet and threaten to sue everyone who has put up a review of their movies.

It feels like the whole reason the project went from "funny idea" to "gently caress it, let's do this" was a producer throwing out lawsuit threats to suppress criticism and mockery. So they got the exact opposite effect: a full-length feature film dedicated to criticizing and mocking them.

I hope the Indigogo raises so much money that Brad is able to hire a PR firm who will market this is a "legit" Christianploitation movie. Get the good word out there that there's another God Jesus America movie that everyone and their congregation MUST see FOR JESUS. Get those church buses loaded and head to the movie theater to drop down the (non-refundable) ticket price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It also inspired a cool Anime Suicide Cult

Don't leave me hanging.

• Locked thread