Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A White Guy posted:

I'd love to see you try to withhold rent because of noisy neighbors. Good luck finding a new apartment after getting evicted.

Sorry, next time I'll write 15 pages about how that would of course be during the course of some legal procedures, which I felt was obvious. Hint for you: Next time somebody suggests you eat at a restaurant, they probably also want you to pay instead of just leaving.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Current peeve - sitting at a car dealer to get papers signed & done, but some idiotic redneck couple keeps arguing over dumb poo poo with a sales manager. Meanwhile I have to sit waiting for more than an hour to do 10minutes of signing. GO AWAY YOU DUMB CHEAP FUCKS

We had to wait last time as well and a friend told me that it's supposed to be some kind of sales psychology to make people wait a long time to sign at the dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My newest pet peeve is when someone not only doesn't do their job, but expects you to do it.

Today I was closing busser at work, and the girl running the front desk came up and asked if I could "do a favor" for her. This is as I'm scrambling to get a hundred things done, and I'm sweating my rear end off.

"The bathroom smells like puke :(" Keep in mind, maintaining the bathroom is like, one of three things she even has to do at the front desk.

"Okay," I reply.

"I have a really weak stomach and I think I'm going to throw up if I smell it."

"Okay."

"I think someone might have puked in the sink it looks like there might be a little on there"

"Okay."

"Could you--"

"No."

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

docbeard posted:

As someone who's been in lovely housing situations, and lovely other situations, before, a lesson it took me too long to learn is that sometimes there's the solution where you're Right, and there's the solution where you get to move on with your life with the least bullshit possible.

Absolutely. I just spent a week driving across the country because the moving truck broke down. I got stuck in Kansas for two days because Budget (gently caress them) not only didn't record that I broke down but also jerked me around about ETA on the mechanic. I tried to get compensated for my hotel, food, and missed flight but since they refused to write anything down, they are rejecting my claim. Super hosed, right? I could stress and spend weeks and lots of money suing them, or I could just get on with my life and torch budget on yelp. One of those options is so much better for my mental health.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
When I'm at work, especially when I worked a call shift and had to stay late to finish a call:

"Bet you wish you were home, huh? Too bad. You're stuck with me."

"Bet you wish you were home!"

"wow, it's so nice outside. Too bad you're in here."

"Why not get a real person job so you don't have to work weekends?"

"LOL THANKS FOR WORKING WEEKENDS. MAKES SHOPPING EASY FOR ME."

Go gently caress yourselves, you assmongering buttweasels.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

Absolutely. I just spent a week driving across the country because the moving truck broke down. I got stuck in Kansas for two days because Budget (gently caress them) not only didn't record that I broke down but also jerked me around about ETA on the mechanic. I tried to get compensated for my hotel, food, and missed flight but since they refused to write anything down, they are rejecting my claim. Super hosed, right? I could stress and spend weeks and lots of money suing them, or I could just get on with my life and torch budget on yelp. One of those options is so much better for my mental health.

Yes... we get it already. It's just that my friends, my family and I have pursued a few things in similar situations and we came out on top, so at least for me, doing nothing is not my default solution to all grievances.

Some posts here really sound like they're from shills for moving and car rental companies, some housing managers' association or the international brotherhood of noisy neighbors. What bothers me about this is that with those defeatist kinds of reactions these guys get to continue their crappy behavior. They thrive on people's aversion to conflict.

Yes, you have to pick your battles and you can't win them all, but you can win some of them and it feels great when you do.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Yes, I'm clearly a shill for the moving truck company. :jerkbag:

Yes, you're right. Winning battles is great. But consider that sometimes it's a lot less stressful to just walk. Ever hear of a pyrrhic victory? Because that's what a lot of fighting housing conflicts / lovely corporate experiences tend to be in terms of time and money invested.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Answering machine pet peeve:

"hello....this is bob smith....im just uhh....im calling to let you know that uhh...i cant make it tomorrow so...because i have to fix my boat.......it has a leak.....and i like my boat.....i got it from my grandfather.....who came over on another boat....but that was forever ago...anyways......yeah....um....i can't make it tomorrow....sorry....please call me back...um...at....fivetwonesiforninetownifisitwo...thanks...."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Answering machine pet peeve:

People who refuse to loving leave a message on one and instead just keep trying to call back every day. Just tell me what you want, I don't know who you are, I will never pick up until you tell me what you want. I'm sure they know this and it's some bullshit "youre computer has been compromise by VIRUS i am windows technician #73 i'm here to help" or the god drat alumni association that is following me to all ends of the earth begging for money, but it's still incredibly annoying when it ends up being a legitimate call. What's so hard about taking 5 extra seconds to say "this is X from y, we need to talk to you because _____"?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

Yes, I'm clearly a shill for the moving truck company. :jerkbag:

I said that some people sound/post like they could be. That doesn't mean they [i[are[/i].

areyoucontagious posted:

Yes, you're right. Winning battles is great. But consider that sometimes it's a lot less stressful to just walk. Ever hear of a pyrrhic victory? Because that's what a lot of fighting housing conflicts / lovely corporate experiences tend to be in terms of time and money invested.

Right. I got thousands of dollars worth of refunds, discounts and hardware for making a few friendly and non-upsetting phone calls after companies had someone tell me they're sorry they messed up something, but those were just pyrrhic victories because I didn't bring the whole company down or something.

I guess people just have different mindsets about these things. Just hoping our renters here will get that noisy guy evicted.

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who refuse to loving leave a message on one

Or if the message is "This is X. Please call me back."

But honestly, in this day and age, if people even feel they need to call me on the phone at all, they're already probably nuisances.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

flavor posted:

Right. I got thousands of dollars worth of refunds, discounts and hardware for making a few friendly and non-upsetting phone calls after companies had someone tell me they're sorry they messed up something, but those were just pyrrhic victories because I didn't bring the whole company down or something.

:rolleyes:

Dude, no one is saying "don't try to win at all". In my case, I've already made a "few friendly and non-upsetting phone calls" and been told to gently caress off. Clearly your thousands of dollars in refunds were situations that resolved in a short time. These people have tried a bunch of options and are clearly stressed about it, and I feel for them. In their case, maybe bailing and living well is a better victory than their pound of flesh.

It's like you can't understand cost/benefit analysis and are calling everyone a pussy for not fighting it out on every case. I get the shy nerd stereotype here, but sometimes it is better to just walk. Let's go ask the legal thread about how often it's worth it to take someone to small claims. I bet the answer might run counter to your opinion.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

It's like you can't understand cost/benefit analysis and are calling everyone a pussy for not fighting it out on every case. I get the shy nerd stereotype here,

Well just look at your red title, it doesn't do much to counter that stereotype. Anyway, you're strawmanning pretty hard here. I'm not going all out for every single thing, but I scale it up depending on money and effort involved. If the creamer is sour, I ask for new creamer, that adds about 2 seconds to the cafe visit. I haven't sued the Coca Cola company for the 2-3 bad Sprite Zero cans I've had over the last decade.

areyoucontagious posted:

but sometimes it is better to just walk. Let's go ask the legal thread about how often it's worth it to take someone to small claims. I bet the answer might run counter to your opinion.

Yeah because I totally think small claims court is the panacea. I never had to take these companies there.

It's fine. I guess our different standpoints are abundantly clear. You can post another jerkoff/rolleyes emoticon or perhaps the one with the fake applause, but maybe we should give it a rest now.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We'll move if you wanna pay the ~$2000 for breaking the lease/last month of rent and ~$2000 more for the next security deposit/first month of rent elsewhere and all the moving costs for three people who can't drive :classiclol:

It'd be nice if we could move and it would somehow be less stressful, and move to the apartment complex that's a bit nicer, a bit sooner than ~11 months from now, and maybe even not end up in a similar situation.

I appreciate everyone's advice and sympathy, and hopefully within a month or so we'll have this solved because he's either gonna stop or get evicted. He seems to be making more noise, more often, and pretty passive-aggressively though. There's a strange pulsing hum that comes from his apartment some nights, too, like it goes on for hours all throughout the night... I have no idea what the hell that could be.

pet peeve: the sun

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

flavor posted:

Well just look at your red title, it doesn't do much to counter that stereotype. Anyway, you're strawmanning pretty hard here. I'm not going all out for every single thing, but I scale it up depending on money and effort involved. If the creamer is sour, I ask for new creamer, that adds about 2 seconds to the cafe visit. I haven't sued the Coca Cola company for the 2-3 bad Sprite Zero cans I've had over the last decade.

Yeah because I totally think small claims court is the panacea. I never had to take these companies there.

It's fine. I guess our different standpoints are abundantly clear. You can post another jerkoff/rolleyes emoticon or perhaps the one with the fake applause, but maybe we should give it a rest now.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your landlord, I mean, the time between the initial complaint and getting things done in a bureaucracy is always gonna be crazy. Hell, I've been on the other side of this coin: apparently cooking a package of ramen at 5am was enough for my upstairs neighbor to progress from STOMPING LIKE A MANIAC to reporting me to the landlord. I can't help that I'm a night owl, and when or where I decide to cook ramen really shouldn't be up to my upstairs neighbor; but it was apparently enough to make the landlord send me an agressive letter about it. Before I moved out I countered by putting on "poison: unskinny bop" on repeat 1 when I left for work at 11pm. Sure, I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I didn't start that fire.

*edit* the complaint was about a (greasy smell) in the hours between 2 and 6 am.

FetusSlapper has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jul 11, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

FetusSlapper posted:

*edit* the complaint was about a (greasy smell) in the hours between 2 and 6 am.

Not implying I'm perfect either.

I remember two situations where I've watched movies with the volume too loud and when neighbors complained, I just turned it down (the volume, not their complaints, heh). For me the difference is in the fact that somebody who has on loud music every stinking day just has to know that that's not cool. We had neighbors two apartments down from us which I brilliantly called "The Gigolos" because every night at about 2am they had (possibly different, wasn't keeping track) women over who talked as loud as in the daytime and cursed like sailors. Thankfully after one of their parties some of the riffraff they invited hit a support beam of the house with their car and 2-3 months later they were mysteriously gone.

Anyway, everybody has to cook or grind coffee at some point. The test for me is the Golden Rule.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Uninstalling bloatware, then of course directly afterwards the program opens your browser to a survey to ask why you uninstalled the piece of gently caress garbage faced program.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For the record, my point was pretty much just "pick your battles", not "never fight anything". (And after moving in Minneapolis in the dead of winter, I would never consider that moving was anything but a major, major hassle!) Sounds like Snoo hasn't yet exhausted all of their useful options, in any event.

Current peeve: smoke alarms. After replacing the battery (thankfully there is a convenience store right across the street), and trying to divine the elaborate ritual required to make it shut up after replacing the battery (and even now I don't know if it's worked or if it's just lying in wait), I'd be willing to give being on fire a try. It couldn't possibly be any more annoying.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People who respond to an either-or question with "ok" or "alright" or something like that.

"Hey dude, how about that thing next week? Should we do it at your house or mine?"
"Ok."

"About the movie tonight, do you want to grab dinner before or after the show?"
"Alright."

NO that is NOT how it works :argh: give a clear answer, damnit! :argh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're asking too many questions at a time. All they heard is "do you want to do this thing?"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My peeve is people asking yes or no questions but going out of their way to phrase them so that they can't be answered with a yes or no.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Re: Canker/cold/fever sores/blisters

Try switching to a toothpaste and mouthwash with no sodium lauryl sulfate (all SLS does is make the product "foam up" anyway).

If you get the blistery kind on your lips (commonly called cold sores or fever blisters) with any sort of frequency, you might ask your doctor for some valacyclovir to take when you first feel one coming on. If you take it quick enough, the duration of the little bastard gets cut drastically, so you can look forward to the time to heal being measured in days instead of weeks. It's about USD$45 a dose, but most insurance covers it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blogs that lack a straight-forward chronological list of posts. For example: http://www.shesnotfromyorkshire.com/

How the gently caress do they expect people to read their old posts? What order are they in? Why would you do this? :stare:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've recently started working with a student and he's awoken an old annoyance I used to deal with a lot of people who say "yes" to everything but don't understand what they've been asked. Usually it's with physics or coding stuff, like I'll ask if they included X process in their simulation, they always say "yes" but when you check it, they didn't and have no idea what that thing is.

But more annoyingly is simple every-day questions. Just the other day we were working and it was getting around lunch time so I said "ok, want to go to lunch?", he responds "yes ok", then just sits there. The way my desk is he has to get up for me to get out so I look at him expectingly and he just says "what" and I have to say "didn't you want to go to lunch now?" and they say "oh no, not now, I thought you meant later". Why would I ask it in that way if I meant later? Maybe it's just me but if the person doesn't specify a later time, they mean "right now" or at least in the next minute or two. If it's not clear, say "ok, when?", not just "yes".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

Just the other day we were working and it was getting around lunch time so I said "ok, want to go to lunch?", he responds "yes ok", then just sits there. The way my desk is he has to get up for me to get out so I look at him expectingly and he just says "what" and I have to say "didn't you want to go to lunch now?" and they say "oh no, not now, I thought you meant later". Why would I ask it in that way if I meant later? Maybe it's just me but if the person doesn't specify a later time, they mean "right now" or at least in the next minute or two. If it's not clear, say "ok, when?", not just "yes".

"Hi, would you ever like to eat again in your life?" :haw:

That guy sounds like a total goober.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh God, the "okay" people.

Whenever I'm front desk I have to explain some very simple things to people, and they will always be things that are useful to them. Without fail, you'll have someone come in and, say, ask if they can sit at the bar.

"Yep!" I say, "Feel free to grab a seat or a bar table. If you want food, just order through the bartender because there's no server at the bar."

"Okay!" and they wander off.

And then come down, maybe fifteen, twenty minutes later. "I'm sitting at the bar and nobody has come to take my food order." And of course, they're pissed off.

This is where I want to say "As I explained to you" and have to bite it back. I wish I could, because when I tell them AGAIN there's no server and to ask the bartender, they say "nobody told me that."

I did.

I told you that.

You were trying to walk away and not listen to me and talk to your friends and act like you know the place but yes, I did tell you, and you said "Okay!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

COOKING FOR ONE, FOR BEGINNERS *every recipe has 16 ingredients*

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Digirat posted:

What do you mean you don't have 4 different specialty pans and a traditional tandoor in your studio apartment?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Che Delilas posted:

What do you mean you don't have 4 different specialty pans and a traditional tandoor in your studio apartment?

"Buy this specialty ingredient that costs an arm and a leg and is only available at 3 supermarkets in the entire country"

Also the opposite of that, I was trying to make something that required whole pepperoncinis. My local Hy-Vee does not stock them because the midwest considers pepperoni pizza to be "spicy" (I am not making this up I have heard this from multiple different people) so any pepper spicier than a green bell pepper is nearly impossible to come by.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Brawnfire posted:

I did.

I told you that.

You were trying to walk away and not listen to me and talk to your friends and act like you know the place but yes, I did tell you, and you said "Okay!"

I also work front desk and you can totally see the moment the light turns off in their head and nothing you're gonna tell them after that will register. You say "yes, but [important information]", they hear "yes [GARBLED STATIC]". The only thing I've found that works is putting the info before the affirmation but even that fails sometimes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Digirat posted:

Buy special ingredient that only comes in larger quantities for a recipe that needs three nano grams of said ingredient. You know what? How about we skip that and not have a container of "whatever" sit around for the next 12-24 months, I'll just use "common ingredient that is nearly identical yet is already on hand in reasonable quantities".

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who can't apparently do anything without constant supervision.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sociopastry posted:

I wonder how many of these people have helicopter parents that wouldn't even let them do something without them being there. Because my parents were like that, and I was terrible about managing things solo until eventually I just had to loving TRY to manage once or twice and miraculously didn't burn the house down.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Barely even a peeve, but when my cat uses his psychic powers to detect when I absolutely without fail need to leave the house to go to work and decides that right then is a good time to be all LOVE ME PURR PURR PURR.

Related: Having to go to work.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
"as a mother i---"
"you won't understand until you have children"

People who think that becoming a mother suddenly gives them insane wisdom, and they're all of a sudden more wise and smart than other people. People have been popping out babies for millions of years, you're not special or have any more special knowledge that anyone else hasn't had before!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

"as a mother i---"

People who think that becoming a mother suddenly gives them insane wisdom, and they're all of a sudden more wise and smart than other people. People have been popping out babies for millions of years, you're not special or have any more special knowledge that anyone else hasn't had before!

BUT SHE HAS TIGER STRIPES NOW.

One of my high school friends went on a huge rant about how as a mother, she understands SO much more of the world now and how the world judges her on her appearance. Well, gently caress them all, she is a tiger, she has tiger stripes now! Aka stretch marks. And while I clap for the general idea of it, the amount of bitch seems to grow the more stripes you get.

At least she isn't an anti-vaxxer. But she is one of those nuts who screams if someone stands on the flag, they need to be punished. And HER girls will be raised never to disrespect something millions of people have died for!

There, peeve. loving flag worship from people who don't understand that America isn't #1 in everything positive.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sociopastry posted:

When I did tech support, I had people who would call me up and literally read me instructions that came with their product, and I'd say "yes," and then they'd complete those instructions. It was kind of nice to have such easy calls, but what the gently caress.

Cowslips Warren posted:

BUT SHE HAS TIGER STRIPES NOW.

One of my high school friends went on a huge rant about how as a mother, she understands SO much more of the world now and how the world judges her on her appearance. Well, gently caress them all, she is a tiger, she has tiger stripes now! Aka stretch marks. And while I clap for the general idea of it, the amount of bitch seems to grow the more stripes you get.

Joke's on her, I got my tiger stripes without even having to give birth! :smug:

:smith:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Recipes rarely give the amount of salt to use. I understand that it's "to taste" but at least provide a guideline.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

"as a mother i---"

This bullshit helped decide the new UK prime minister.

Not only did the twat play the "as a mother" card, she had a dig at her opponent for not being able to have kids. Classy lady.
Oh, and then got all butthurt at the press, and gave up her campain days later, still whining about being bullied.

It takes a special grade of awful to make Teresa May look like the good one

quote:

“I am sure Theresa will be really sad she doesn’t have children so I don’t want this to be ‘Andrea has children, Theresa hasn’t’ because I think that would be really horrible,” she said.

But Leadsom suggested that being a mother gave her an advantage. She said: “Genuinely I feel that being a mum means you have a real stake in the future of our country, a tangible stake.”

She also said May “possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people. But I have children who are going to have children who will directly be part of what happens next”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/08/andrea-leadsom-suggests-she-would-make-better-pm-as-she-has-children

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Whiz Palace posted:

Recipes rarely give the amount of salt to use. I understand that it's "to taste" but at least provide a guideline.

They can't though because that's entirely dependant on whoever's eating and however much salt they like.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Hashtags. Especially on Facebook.

I have a friend that can't post anything on FB without five or more hashtags and it can be so insufferable. Face to face, they are great. Online they are some kind of caricature.

‪#‎grateful‬ #‎family‬ ‪#‎friends‬ ‪#‎camping‬ ‬ ‪#‎culture‬ ‪#‎art‬

Why? For what purpose? If you click on any of these it just shows you a load of strangers that applied the same tag to their posts.

Why yes I am a grumpy old man that wants these drat kids off of his digital lawn, thanks for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

"as a mother i---"

I love to use this logic against them if they ever criticize other mothers, though. For some reason, these mom-types like to tell me about other, "awful" moms and I'm just like "yeah but they are a mother, y'know, you can't REALLY judge..." and most of the time, they actually humble up a bit.