Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Warrior's line for 'playing along' in the bar is really bad. We'll be playing along or not depending on which is more amusing, don't you worry.

There will be no negative consequences to this schizophrenic approach.

Ah my apologies I have only done Rishi on my Agent I think, maybe trooper? Not sure. Anyway I had quite some fun pretending to be a pirate, guess Bioware used all the great stuff in the Warrior's intro scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno, responding to some dude hyping you up as pirate scum with "I am the Emperor's Wrath. I AM HATE INCARNATE." seems like some pretty good times, or at least pleasantly adequate times.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The BH gets drummed up as the captain of a cannibal pirate crew.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's smuggler who's absolutely lovin' every bit of it. I'm disappointed Quinine isn't taking point on this planet.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Siegkrow posted:

The BH gets drummed up as the captain of a cannibal pirate crew.

So does the Jedi Knight, it's pretty great.

E: That reminds me - did the JK play through ever wrap up?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
One of the problems of every class now getting the same basic content is that it's hard to write a story that works well for everyone. Exhibit A, Rishi - Visiting space-Tortuga to masquerade as a pirate king works fine for, say, the smuggler, who may actually be a pirate king at this point, but it's damned odd for characters like the inquisitor, who should be fairly public figures by this point...

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

So does the Jedi Knight, it's pretty great.

E: That reminds me - did the JK play through ever wrap up?

/facepalm.

I've gone through rishi twice, once with the BH and once with the JK, and I mixed them up. it's the JK.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

This really is where things starting getting real good. I love Rishi, and Raider's Cove is an awesome area. Places that are mostly town but also have quests and places for you to run around in always make me happy. One of the upcoming planets is also probably one of my favorites in the game.

Biggest disappointment is that you can't do the story missions multiplayer anymore. :(

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
My Agent just went all out - got herself a yarr accent, a long trenchcoat, and the biggest hat she could take off of some blustering pirate's still smoking corpse. It was awesome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catsworth posted:

This really is where things starting getting real good. I love Rishi, and Raider's Cove is an awesome area. Places that are mostly town but also have quests and places for you to run around in always make me happy. One of the upcoming planets is also probably one of my favorites in the game.

Biggest disappointment is that you can't do the story missions multiplayer anymore. :(

Sadly, I feel just the opposite - Rishi is where I feel the quality of the game's writing starts to decline across the board continuing up through the current expansion, in part due to the problem Angry Salami mentioned. I don't like the Revanites as villains, I don't like Revan himself or how he's handled, or how they lead into the next story arc which I feel is downright bad. Rishi is amusing but it's very one-note and a lot of the quests feel rather forced to me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Sadly, I feel just the opposite - Rishi is where I feel the quality of the game's writing starts to decline across the board continuing up through the current expansion, in part due to the problem Angry Salami mentioned. I don't like the Revanites as villains, I don't like Revan himself or how he's handled, or how they lead into the next story arc which I feel is downright bad. Rishi is amusing but it's very one-note and a lot of the quests feel rather forced to me.

It has its good points and its bad points, and I won't hesitate to make fun of the latter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has its good points and its bad points, and I won't hesitate to make fun of the latter.

Still, it's better than what comes next in my opinion. Rishi at least has a lot of funny moments. The same can't be said for the next two planets or the full-on expansion after those.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 16: The Dumbass Pirate’s Case

Click for Video

He’s with the Howling Tempest Gang.
I was making a dramatic pause, Tomota. I know it’s the Hurling Tempest!
I’m Kai Zykken. I’m sure you’ve heard my name, most commonly accompanied by a longing sigh from one of my former conquests.
You… wouldn’t happen to have a brother or a cousin with a terrible racecar driver moustache, would you?
Now, here’s the deal: the Corellian Run Scoundrels may owe you a debt, but it’s not coming out of my hide. Take it up with accounting.

Kai, think about who recently put an end to Gorro’s life. Gorro, who you hired. Full disclosure time.
Okay, alright. Listen, we can’t pay. The freedom to operate in Raider’s Cove isn’t exactly free. After the Nova Blades take their cut, we’re tapped.
Now, before you get an itch, I do have something of value. Something I know you want.

I get it, you’re not happy with me. But you might be after this.
I record all my holocalls, and that includes the one that warned me you were coming to Rishi. I’ll show it to you. Tomota, get my datapad.
You mean your personal datapad? The one you told me you lost?

The personal datapad I already told you I had stored in a tracking case so you didn’t lose it again?
Oh! Right! Yes! Thank you, Tomota. I knew there was a reason I kept you around….
Here. You can find and unlock the case with this tracer. And you can even keep the datapad, how’s that?

Hey, good idea. Why don’t I go ahead and, you know, do that.
If Kai leaves for the case, he won’t come back with it. He’ll be long gone.
Oh, like you wouldn’t do the same.
You have a point.
Never mind. I’ll find it myself.
Good choice.
I’m two seconds from killing you and Guybrush here. Don’t push your luck.
I hope you tell your Howling Teapot Gang we’re even now.
Howling Tempest Gang.
Right. That’s what I said.

Of course a monkey has the datapad.
We are on an island, after all.
It’s a curse.

Hey, don’t look now, but that pirate’s not happy that we’re chasing his monkey.

Click for Video

Kai Zykken, greetings. I speak to you now to deliver a warning.

Oh. I wonder who it could be.

Subtle.

or you could do nothing and suffer the consequences. The choice is yours.
Hm. If there’re droids about, we may learn more if we incapacitate one.
We’ll just tamper with this and--

Click for Video

Oh--I beg your pardon! I didn’t realize it was you! How exciting! Such a pleasure to make your acquaintance!
Whoever put you up to all this lied to you. I’m not who you think.
I thought my master told me everything, but I had no idea you were so modest!
Why, in the time since your arrival, you have already defeated the illustrious Gorro, brought fear to the Corellian Run Scoundrels and Carida Corsairs….
Even the Nova Blades have taken notice you of you! My master would be most impressed.
I want to know who has you broadcasting these stories about me. Give me a name.
You may direct any and all questions to my master, as I have been authorized to arrange an introduction.
Oh--do be careful in your travels. Legend or no, Gorro’s brother Grumm is severely displeased as to Gorro’s fate.
Mmhm.

Click for Video

I'll be going through your viscera in about 7 seconds, if I’m not mistaken.
Yes, pirate scum, I’m talking to you--the one who killed my brother!
Okay, let’s see what you’ve got, ugly.
I am banned from twenty-six systems for acts so unspeakable we do not have words for them. This will not end well for you.
You should never have remained in plain sight, because now you die!
Why, are you a T-Rex? Will you stop chasing me if I do something subtle?

D-d-d-danger! Watch behind you!
There’s a saber out to find you!

That was easily the toughest fight I’ve ever been in. I can see why Gorro fell to you.
Really? Because this is just an average Tuesday morning for me.
Your hesitation does me no honor. I lost! Finish it!
We fought. You lost. Live with it.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Whoever could this mysterious woman be! Suspense!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Why, a female force user with pale skin and yellow eyes, who likes green? Surely we haven't seen anyone fitting this description before.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wiegieman posted:

Why, a female force user with pale skin and yellow eyes, who likes green? Surely we haven't seen anyone fitting this description before.

Don't forget poorly-rendered eyelids.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The quest where you have to stop the droid is my favourite quest in the game just for how many players don't get what you are supposed to do there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Junkozeyne posted:

The quest where you have to stop the droid is my favourite quest in the game just for how many players don't get what you are supposed to do there.

It took a bit to figure it out.

Then I watched someone else try for like, half an hour without ever noticing the environmental clickies (they're a bit out of the way, and some patrol paths go for a bit without passing one).

I didn't tell them how to finish it. Rage makes you powerful.

The worst thing about Rishi is still the Rishi Datacron though. gently caress that thing.

Farm 3 data discs from 3 unique space pigs that all spawn at one of three specific locations but only have a 5% spawn rate (the other 95% of the time you get normal space pigs) with a 4 minute wait in between spawns. Take all three data discs and use them to touch a skull with a short-duration buff, which you need to touch another skull to get a second short-duration buff, which you need to get a final short-duration buff, which you need to attract some friendly tentacles to break open a rock with the datacron inside. This rock may be bugged and unclickable some of the time, forcing you to start over from the beginning

It's worse than the balloon ride by far. It's worse than the Belsavis Datacron that spawns in pieces at 30 different locations (because one location will ALWAYS have a piece you can get). It's worse than the one on the fleet because at least that one requires some clever teamwork puzzles.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
This reminds me of One Punch Man. A bunch of random nobodies talking themselves up, acting like you're having an epic showdown, when in reality they're barely threatening enough for you to notice you've fought them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mort's not cool enough to be Saitama in that analogy. He is grumpy enough, though.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 14, 2016

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Is that guy in the back doing the Stuck In An Invisible Box routine?

Pirates and mimes. Truly this is a hive of scum and villainy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, what a stunning defense against having your will manipulated: being so incompetent you can't be trusted to do anything. I am agog, sir.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Gnome de plume posted:

Is that guy in the back doing the Stuck In An Invisible Box routine?

Pirates and mimes. Truly this is a hive of scum and villainy.

TOR has a bunch of items that replace the default animation of your regen ability with other various animations, and one of them actually does have the PC do the "mime inside an invisible box" routine. Naturally I gave the one I got to my dark side Sith Warrior as proof of her utter evil. Might copy it to my DS Jedi Counselor too since I'm amusing myself by making her look as evil as possible (leaving the "dark side screws up your face" setting on, riding one of the Empire throne mounts, etc.) to see just how hilariously it messes up the Counselor storyline to have everybody frantically ignoring just what their chosen one is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MadDogMike posted:

TOR has a bunch of items that replace the default animation of your regen ability with other various animations, and one of them actually does have the PC do the "mime inside an invisible box" routine.

My favorite is the feign death that pops up a colored loot marker. It's random too so sometimes you'll have people who have never seen it before run over and try to click on you because you popped a purple loot marker.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

Good lord, what a stunning defense against having your will manipulated: being so incompetent you can't be trusted to do anything. I am agog, sir.

it worked for the GCPD in the 60s Batman show, obviously it'll work here???

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite is the feign death that pops up a colored loot marker. It's random too so sometimes you'll have people who have never seen it before run over and try to click on you because you popped a purple loot marker.

I fell for that in a dungeon Flashback FLASHPOINT. rear end in a top hat was even worse because he used it in the middle of where we killed a bunch of random mobs.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Um the best one is clearly the log that you sit on like a speeder bike

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SKY COQ posted:

Um the best one is clearly the log that you sit on like a speeder bike

Fun fact: that one's called Kai Zykken's speeder.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 17: The Dumbass Pirates’ Base

Click for Video

The Emperor’s Wrath. Good to see you again. Any… word from your namesake?
Nothing has changed, if that’s what you’re asking.
Pretty cagey. Think you’d be more open with Lana after all she’s sacrificed for your Empire.
Hello, Theron.

We need you to go out there and make life hard for the Revanites’ allies--the Nova Blades.
I know the Nova Blades are running things in Raider’s Cove, but how are they helping the Revanites?
From what we’ve been able to gather, the Revanites’ agents in the Empire and Republic have been feeding the Nova Blades intel on ship activity.
The Blades then use that intel to ambush military patrols and key shipping lanes on both sides. They’re essentially remapping hyperroutes.

The trouble is, we can’t have any suspicion raised that our attack is related to the Revanites’ activities.

Apart from the obvious one, I mean.
Yeah, you’ve got it exactly. Bust up their operations, get their attention, make yourself look legitimate--and then go for the throat.
We have a trusted source who’s determined that the Nova Blades’ base, a wrecked ship called the Aggressor, contains their entire security apparatus. That’s our final target.
It would be nice to know a little more about what I’m getting myself into.
The Nova Blades built Raider’s Cove, so they get a piece of every kind of action going on here.

We’ll place you in range of the first Nova Blade target; that’s where our source is waiting.
It really is good to see you again.
Been hiding out a long time. It’s nice to see someone who isn’t a complete stranger. Good luck out there.
Yes. May the Force serve you well.
Was that a competition to see who could get the parting line?

Is that a… wampa?
A swamp wampa.
A Swampa!
:ughh:

Big sucker.
Don’t worry about it.

He’s ‘armless.
drat it, boss!
Did I just hear someone making terrible dismemberment puns?

Click for Video

Jakarro and Deefour. I was hoping I hadn’t seen the last of you.
Well. Heard that last of you.
Dr. Venture.
:allears:

Welcome to Rishi, my lord. Not exactly the paradise we’d hoped it would be….
The chumps who pass for pirates in this place are a joke! I like the bird ones, though.
All bluster aside, this planet’s inhabitants are not to be trifled with. The Nova Blades in particular are a powerful and organized group.
I’ll believe that when I see it.

Oh gently caress you too, Bioware.

Watch it, droid!
Here. The sooner we finish making a mark with the Nova Blades, the sooner we can get at the Revanites!
I’d wish you good luck if I thought you’d need it. We’ll keep in touch!

Pretty bir--

Gah! Bad Polly, I am not a cracker!

So much for ‘powerful and organized.’ They leave their munitions sitting out on a wooden pier to rust? Nok Drayen would’ve kicked these guys off Rishi in six hours.
Hey. Boss?

Wanna see if we can do it in four?
Four?

I’ll be genuinely surprised if this takes more than two.

Jakarro tells me that should be enough to get the Nova Blades’ attention.
There’s a Lieutenant Donovarr in charge here, according to Theron. Challenging him would make a fine exclamation mark.
Wait, was this a sneaking mission?

Click for Video

We’re not backing down just because some upstart crew thinks they got what it takes to break us.
Buckle down! Be a Nova Blade! And kill whoever’s messing with us!

My damage tops out at 7,000 at the moment, so you’re right.

It’s not me you should be afraid of.

I switched Vette over to damage spec for this fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At first I was going to :argh: that the Aggressor showed up again here but uh, it's not the ship I was thinking of. Not at all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have bad memories of the Zann Consortium too. CORRUPTINGGGGG your will to continue playing against this Original Faction Do Not Steal.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trooper Update 42 – The Meaning of Strife

Contact! Sensor outpost ahead, sir!
I've got eyes, Sergeant. Focus on clearing the security!

I have to ask, Captain – why me? I mean, sure, I'm pretty incredible. But last I heard, the guys up top weren't too interested in having me around.
Havoc Squad's next mission is dangerous, and no one cares if you come back.
That's about what I expected.
Heh. From a dishonorable discharge to Havoc Squad in less than a year. It's a crazy galaxy.
You're not in Havoc just yet, Vik. Personally I'm waiting on these demolition skills of yours.
Clear the way for my missile and you won't have to worry about that. Let's get back to helping these poor, pitiful Balmorrans. Now that the sensors are gone, I need you to hit the Imps' anti-missile turrets. Think you can handle that?
You'd better not be wasting my time.

Is that...?
AR-X 21B point-defense deployable remote SAM, sir.
I was thinking more “completely unguarded.”

Kind of... unsatisfying.

Much better!
Sir! The Glyph Industriex Mark VI siege droid doesn't possess anti-missile capab-
Better safe than sorry, Sergeant. Let's hail Vik.

Much appreciated. We're going to be ready to launch in no time.
So what's it like, being top squad in the Republic? You have Command breathing down your neck, or do they give you room to operate?
You just worry about following my orders to the letter. Understood?
This is going to be fun, I can tell already.
Only one more thing between my missile and its target: an aerial shield generator. Take it down, and we'll be good for launch, Captain.
After this, no more games, Vik. We meet face-to-face.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Captain, with all due respect, I don't think it wise to play Vik's game. He should be doing what you ask, not the other way around.
When we catch up to him, he'll wish he hadn't toyed with us.

It's stuff like that which make me worry about what you get up to off-duty.

Shield generator neutralized, sir.
This is too easy. The Empire's lines have to be collapsing fast if they're leaving all their toys exposed like this. C'mon, Vik sent us the coordinates for a secure comm-line to wherever he's launching his missile from. Let's get this over with.

Recommended for explosive action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FeorqEabhM

Just what I wanted to hear. I'm dying to launch this baby.
Target coordinates locked in... fire!

Whew... the Imps are really going to feel this one.
I want your exact coordinates. Now.
All right, all right. So much for enjoying the moment.

Now this looks a little bit more like a front line.
Sir! Aren't we going to assist?
Winning the Big Push isn't our objective, Sergeant. Buuuut...

One freebie mortar barrage.

Okay, game face on. Whatever Vik's been planning, we're putting a stop to it and extracting him before he goes and gets killed, scrubbing the whole mission.
Are we expecting him or the resistance to... er, resist, sir?
Just be ready for anything.

Case in point.

I'm on it, sir.
Ugh... th-thank you.
It was... it was that traitor, Brel Orus. He gave the Imps our position somehow.
We fought hard, but they overran us. They tore straight through and grabbed Vik.
They'll take him to the Balmorran Arms Factory. The Imps built a prison in the back of the complex – no one ever comes out.
I'm going to get Vik back. Period.
You're a real hero. You and Vik both... you're heroes.
Your condition is stabilized, soldier – but get to a safe location immediately.
Thanks, I can make my own way back. You two need to save Vik.

Poor dumb kid. He really has no idea what Vik was up to.
Pardon me, sir, but how much do we really know about what Vik's planning?
Less than we should. Doesn't mean I can't smell a rat.

The Balmorran Arms factory is behind several layers of defense and the Republic's offensive has stalled. There's no way around.
I prefer a stand-up fight to all this sneaking around. Looks like we're in the Big Push after all.

The factory entrance is up ahead, sir!
That's the last big Imp fort on the planet, Dorne. Once we're inside they're going to hit us with everything they've got.

...Or nothing, I guess.
Not picking up any contacts on the scanner, but I'm detecting a lot of recent battle damage. We may not be the first team to break through to the Arms Factory today.
That just means we need to pick up the pace before the Empire starts pulling out. I doubt Vik'd be worth the trouble of keeping alive.
Imperial standard operating procedures are... pragmatic, on the topic of prisons at risk of falling into enemy hands.

Drop your weapons! Surrender – now!
I made it this far – do you really think you can stop me?
She's got you there. Is this really how you want to go out?
Shut up! We do not negotiate with riffraff. The Empire fears no one, isn't that right?
Yes, sir!
Time to start hurting people.

Too slow!

And that's how it's done. Now on your feet, playtime's over.

Recommended for meeting face-to-fist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFF9bqfAmr0

*CLONK*

You've given me nothing but trouble, Vik. I won't forget that.

Uh... let's not be hasty, now. I am a man of honor, despite what you may have heard
Yeah, “nice guy”. You stole from your people and betrayed them to the Empire by accident.
I've made mistakes, certainly. But allow me to make amends. A contribution of credits, say, to repay the Republic's heroism on behalf of my fellow Balmorrans.
You can't buy your way out of this.
No! No! Argh!

*BLAM*

Sir! He wasn't even armed!
Wouldn't have helped him anyway.
That wasn't what... never mind.
It's not like anyone is going to miss the guy.
Now, seeing as we're all on the same team, I'll fill you in on my little operation.
That vault we blew open is full of pricey prototype weapons designed by Balmorran companies. Orus had them hidden before the Imperial invasion to “keep them safe”.

Yup. Pretty impressive work, I'd say.
Orus planned to sell the prototypes for a tidy profit. We could do the same – after picking a few choice items for ourselves.
You led good men into enemy territory and got them killed just to make a profit!
Those men died fighting Imperials - exactly what they volunteered for.
Druan survived, by the way.
Who?
Yeah, that's what I expected.
Misappropriation of Republic military assets, unauthoried operations behind enemy lines, looting, wartime profiteering... this is atrocious!

Finally we agree on something, but seeing as I don't trust you as far as I can throw you, you're not leaving my sight until this “operation” is over. Grab your gear and let's go. Dorne, watch the entrance to the factory and keep us posted on reinforcements.
Gladly, sir. Take care.

Garza wants you on my team for your demolition credentials, but Havoc's an assault squad first and foremost. You better have close combat chops to match.
I survived most of a year as a rebel mercenary, didn't I? Give me a techblade and room to use it, you'll see I'm Havoc material.

Hmph, not bad. Maybe you're not all talk.
Shucks, Captain. I'm already feeling like part of the team.

The vault's just a little further in. My missile should've cracked open the security door, so as long as we've beat the Imps to it we shouldn't have anything to worry about.

...Unless Brel Orus topped up the vault with security droids, of course.
Of course.

I gotta admit, that's not bad work. Blowing in an interior security gate with an exterior missile hit?
You're too kind. The real trick was not bringing down the supports too and collapsing the whole vault.

Can't say I'm enjoying fighting all these security droids though. There's got to be a way to shut them down.
No one's around to give them orders, so knocking in the gate probably tripped an alarm. So long as we don't trip any more, the rest of the droids should stay quiet – and increase our haul.

Hm. Oh, how will we ever avoid tripping this highly advanced alarm system?

Oh wait! I'm not an idiot!

That's the droids taken care of.
That's these droids taken care of. If Brel sprung for the luxury package that'll include a few heavier models on their own network.
C'mon, what're the odds of-

Oh goddamnit.

Last one?
Yeah, I think that's it.
Good, because I'm out of ion and beating droids to death with my blaster barrel takes way too long.

Captain, this is Sergeant Tong. I took the liberty of calling his transport team in to get these captured enemy weapons crated and moved.
You have a plan for everything, don't you, Vik?
Just trying to make a good impression on my first day.
Where can we take this stuff for you, sir?
Yeah, sir. Where are they taking all of these highly advanced, highly useful, highly valuable prototype weapons?
These highly “not part of my mission at all” weapons. Deliver them to research and development immediately, sergeant.
Yes, sir! Let's get to work, men!
What a waste. I can't believe I went through all that trouble for nothing.
I don't tolerate insubordination of any kind. Is that clear?

Dorne, the prototypes are secure and Vik's ready for extraction. What's the situation in the factory?
I read you, sir. Imperial forces are in full retreat and the Republic will be securing the factory shortly. Shall I requisition transport for your extraction?
Negative, Sergeant, we'll catch a ride back with Sergeant Tong's men. Take a speeder and meet us back in Bugtown, we can check in with Ardon before we dust off.
The resistance commander? Sir, if we already have Vik what point is there in-
Rubbing it in? Oh, no reason.

ONE MUCH EASIER JOURNEY BACK ACROSS BALMORRA LATER

Yeah, I heard. He was in the middle of the deepest raid into Imperial territory I've seen. Sobrik, the Balmorran Arms Factory... I heard he hit them all.
Vik was out for credits, pure and simple.
I don't believe that for a second.
If you seriously bought Vik's act it's no surprise Imperial Intelligence took the Resistance apart so many times.
Big talk from someone who's never lived under Imperial occupation.
Really?
Now, Vik'll be strolling around Coruscant with your lot, making publicity holos while the rest of us fight. What a waste.
Havoc Squad fights harder than any other unit in the war.
Yeah, I'm sure that's what your CO tells you all the time.
I'd like to say it's been a pleasure having you here, Captain, but we both know that's a lie.
Come back when Havoc Squad is done showboating all over the galaxy. We'll put you to work for a real cause.

Sir, what was the point of that exchange?
I mean, we are taking one of his men, even if we're doing him a favor with Vik, would've felt wrong not checking back in. If Ardon's head is too far up his own rear end to see the rest of the war outside his own backyard, that's his problem.
Besides, sometimes it's good to get angry at somebody I can't shoot. Keeps me in shape in case I ever stop fighting people for a living.

Consider me located and extracted, General.
Good. From now on you will speak only when spoken to. Has Vik given you any trouble, Captain?
Did you ever see Kelly's Heroes, General?
I can't say it rings a bell.
Never mind, then. I cleared things up.
I'm glad to hear it.
Tanno Vik, your service with the Republic Army is hearby resumed. You are posted to Special Forces unit 326, code-named Havoc Squad at the rank of specialist.
It's a real honor to be here, General. I look forward to getting out there and fighting for the Republic again.
Permission to speak freely, Captain?
What do you have to say, Lieutnenat?

With all due respect, I don't think someone like Vik has a place anywhere in the Republic Army, let alone Havoc Squad.
I don't want Vik in my unit either, but I don't have any choice. On the plus side, he's got the highest chance in the squad of getting blown up, so it's not all bad.
Well, you know how to make a guy feel welcome.
I understand your concerns, but we have a job to do. Let's focus on it.
An urgent situation has developed involving a critical part of our plan to assault the Gauntlet. Havoc Squad is needed, immediately.

Surely this isn't the only platoon we have that can crack a bunker.
Of course not. But the operation calls for the best men available, and these men are the best.
When you reach Quesh, report to Major Donovan. He's overseeing the rescue operation.
I don't remember hearing about Quesh before. What's the big picture?
Quesh is the only source of a rare chemical used to produce powerful adrenals. The Republic is fighting to maintain control of this resource.
Great, so it's the War For Drugs.

Hopefully the Safecrackers can hold out, since it's a few sectors from Balmorra to Quesh. I'm going to take a nap - Dorne, plot us a hyperjump out of the system, and Jorgan? Help our newest specialist get settled in.
I already have a bunk picked out for you, Vik. Just under the ammo bins.
Oh, you and me are going to get along fine, Lieutenant.

[Sorry for the triple-strength update, but I was triple-behind-schedule, so hopefully this evens things out!]

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
The last part of Balmorra and pretty much all of Corellia that wasn't to do with class quests is my favourite parts pre-expansions. It has that sort of big battle feeling you come to expect from Star Wars.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I do quite like the way Balmorra's laid out, especially Sobrik and the battlefield up to the Balmorran Arms factory. It actually manages to look like a war by having lots of NPCs in large groups fighting each other and you sweep through familiar, built-up areas that give you a sense of actually taking over the city. It probably helps being one of the two worlds where the Republic and Empire versions happen out of order so you're actually engaging with what the players in the other faction accomplished. Sacking the Sobrik spaceport is neat because until then the cookie-cutter spaceport zones each planet has have been inviolate.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
These mission requirements could have stood to be a little less dramatically stringent. You absolutely need the very, very, very best team out there, or the whole plan will fly apart at the seems? Please. Maybe if you settled for second or third best, and didn't have to fly through every war zone in the galaxy, you could spend the extra time and money reinforcing the player's Belief Suspension.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
We need the best bomb specialist in the galaxy, and we found one! Who just so happens to be an insubordinate, greedy, lying sociopath.

He's also coincidentally worse at his job than Lt. Pierce and Kaliyo.

Have fun arming/disarming all the bombs yourself, Trooper.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Montegoraon posted:

These mission requirements could have stood to be a little less dramatically stringent. You absolutely need the very, very, very best team out there, or the whole plan will fly apart at the seems? Please. Maybe if you settled for second or third best, and didn't have to fly through every war zone in the galaxy, you could spend the extra time and money reinforcing the player's Belief Suspension.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I mean it's not so strange when Jedi and Sith fret about Chosen Ones or have individuals with unique powers or what have you, but even the military's best are usually replaceable with their second-best in a pinch. I figure it's just Garza being a micro-managing perfectionist - "No, we have to have this platoon on sapping duty, I don't care about the logistical cost of redeploying them just get it done!" It sort of suits a special forces commander who seems to favor pet units and overly-elaborate plans.

On the plus side her constant interfering gives the player a reason to romp around the galaxy meddling in different theaters instead of just sitting on a carrier training and waiting for the operation to start. It also strokes the players' ego nicely. Ardon was written as a straw man but he could very easily have a point that the Republic higher-ups are only focusing on the big picture or their own side projects and not the reality on the ground, and big-name squads like Havoc are given disproportionate attention when the majority of the dying is done by countless regular soldiers and volunteers in grinding, inglorious trenches.

I sort of wish if they were going to go the Kelly's Heroes route with the Trooper story on Balmorra they'd have had more fun with it, Vik might've made a better first impression if his security detail had been in on the scheme and the mission had more of a heist vibe to it, and Vik wouldn't seem like such a through-and-through sociopath. If they wanted to explore the idea that the Republic military doesn't care about the Balmorrans, restructuring the story to be more about how Vik is playing an important role for them and extracting him will hurt the locals would've helped. There was actually a third choice at the end to give the prototype weapons to the Balmorrans, but frankly the planet's already littered in guns and the Balmorrans are about to win anyway so that seems like a waste.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Some talented soldiers need rescuing. Go do it." seems like as good a reason for a mission as anything else to me.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Also it should be kind of clear that Garza is very much one of those people who come up with a "great idea", ignore other experts and opinions but leaves the actual fighting to her subordinates before sending them on. So yes any other general then they would likely use a different squad but this is Garza darn it and you will get her her special toys. Also it provides a link for planet Quesh I guess. I kind of feel sorry for Bioware's writers I mean writing for jedi/sith is rather easy any other class can have its problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Doctor Reynolds posted:

"Some talented soldiers need rescuing. Go do it." seems like as good a reason for a mission as anything else to me.

It works well enough, but they definitely oversell it with "our whole plan will fail without this one platoon, and then the Republic will be destroyed!" I like they actually give the trooper to snarkily ask if these are the only guys in the Republic who know how to crack a bunker, and seeing as how they've just gotten back from getting dragged all over Balmorra to add a class A rear end in a top hat to their squad because he's the best demolitionist a trend is starting to form.

• Locked thread