Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

What the hell kind of indie RPG author has interns?

There's a joke in there about the D&D 5e team :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does Palladium count? They have plenty of employees they don't pay. But, their editor also isn't an editor, so...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I was just voting in the ENnies and I noticed one of the categories was Best Judge....

Why the gently caress would you vote on judges when they're supposed to have no industry ties. That's like giving an Academy Award to best movie watcher.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kwyndig posted:

So I was just voting in the ENnies and I noticed one of the categories was Best Judge....

Why the gently caress would you vote on judges when they're supposed to have no industry ties. That's like giving an Academy Award to best movie watcher.

It's voting on the judges for next year, not best judge.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Still nonsense.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I checked the organizer team for the Larpwriter summerschool nominated for the diana jones award.

the least mutual friends i have with any of them on FB is 3

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Magnusth posted:

I checked the organizer team for the Larpwriter summerschool nominated for the diana jones award.

the least mutual friends i have with any of them on FB is 3

Congratulations on being Scandinavian and into roleplaying. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to see an actual, semi-professional gaming site that's basically this subforum in journal form.

Of course it would be trolled / death-threatened / doxx'd into oblivion for not felating the OSR, for catering to Robocops, or whatever, but it would be a wondrous thing briefly.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Congratulations on being Scandinavian and into roleplaying. :v:

Well, aaaactually, it's more like "congrats on being into nordic larp"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm surprised that authors don't have offers for free internships from people who have more dreams of RPG Superstardom than they do sense. These people clearly exist given what we've seen from Kickstarter, and given the financial situation, I'm surprised some of the big authors/companies don't push around a bit more "Hey, I bet you'd like your name on this RPG, all you need to do is volunteer 10-20 hours a week!" nonsense. Without going Palladium and declaring this after they offered to pay you.

Now I'm going to go scrub myself for thinking of this.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Pay 2 grand become an intern for our company for a month where we have you "help" with the book. What pay you? No no you paid us on the kickstarter for the privilege.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

thelazyblank posted:

I'm surprised that authors don't have offers for free internships from people who have more dreams of RPG Superstardom than they do sense. These people clearly exist given what we've seen from Kickstarter, and given the financial situation, I'm surprised some of the big authors/companies don't push around a bit more "Hey, I bet you'd like your name on this RPG, all you need to do is volunteer 10-20 hours a week!" nonsense. Without going Palladium and declaring this after they offered to pay you.

Now I'm going to go scrub myself for thinking of this.
Caveat: I'm not a professional writer. My understanding is that the problem with this is that if you actually expect these people to do creative work, you're filtering out professionalism and competence by offering these terms. There are lots of people with dreams and no sense, but few of them are talented.

Palladium already has (or had) volunteers who know up front they won't be paid. Their main venue for free creative work is The Rifter, for which they tell contributors up-front that the main reason to submit anything is the satisfaction of seeing your work in print. Accordingly, nearly everything in The Rifter is mediocre at best, indistinguishable from the sort of free homebrew stuff that's been floating around the Internet for as long as there's been an Internet. CroatianAlzheimers was a volunteer and Rifter contributor before becoming a staff writer, but few will ever go that far.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's probably a mix of what Halloween Jack said and that there are 6 requirements to have an unpaid internship be legal in the United States, according to the supreme court, and they overall lower the "benefit" of intern hiring.

"Does not displace employees," "provides no immediate benefit to the employer and on occassion its actions may be impeded," and "is similar to training given in an educational enviroment" problem being sore thumbs. It also makes it iffy to hire people afterwards for good work since that can violate another requirement and you have to meet all six.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Caveat: I'm not a professional writer. My understanding is that the problem with this is that if you actually expect these people to do creative work, you're filtering out professionalism and competence by offering these terms. There are lots of people with dreams and no sense, but few of them are talented.

Entirely true! This stuff does go on, and most of it is lovely on both ends. They just don't have, like, help wanted ads for it. It's "hey dude…" PMs after you make some interesting post on a fan forum, or you IM a buddy you already know.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

thelazyblank posted:

White Wolf had an intern program with at least 2 or 3 members, AFAIK.

Halloween Jack posted:

Palladium already has (or had) volunteers who know up front they won't be paid. Their main venue for free creative work is The Rifter, for which they tell contributors up-front that the main reason to submit anything is the satisfaction of seeing your work in print. Accordingly, nearly everything in The Rifter is mediocre at best, indistinguishable from the sort of free homebrew stuff that's been floating around the Internet for as long as there's been an Internet. CroatianAlzheimers was a volunteer and Rifter contributor before becoming a staff writer, but few will ever go that far.

The fact that even Palladium declares the grand majority of The Rifter unofficial / noncanon material loudly and repeatedly indicates how much pride and faith they have in it. Mind, the bar being low for material in The Rifter often doesn't mean much, given the general half-assed quality of many Palladium products.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Aaod posted:

I can somewhat understand the other things, but how in the hell can you not have page numbers? You can have some random intern do it in an hour or two.

You have a really weird idea of what RPG publishing is like.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

You have a really weird idea of what RPG publishing is like.

INTERN
No. Appearing: 1-4
Frequency: Very Rare

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The fact that even Palladium declares the grand majority of The Rifter unofficial / noncanon material loudly and repeatedly indicates how much pride and faith they have in it. Mind, the bar being low for material in The Rifter often doesn't mean much, given the general half-assed quality of many Palladium products.
It also says something about a company when said volume of fan contributions is the only product line you can print on schedule.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Every time a D&D product wins an Ennie, whether it's a book from Paizo or RPG Voldemort or someone else, it's like, "Hey your D&D supplement won the popular vote on a d20 fan site. Good for you I guess? Next let's see which superhero BatmanFan.com likes?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that occurred to me after I posted. Like, that text I quoted above is was taken from the introductions.

I guess they are backfilling then. Which is still dumb in a "then why'd you leave it out in the first place" way, but at least they're trying to fix it.

Oh, you prosecute Jonathan Tweet for his beliefs?
(Some Gronards yell at me)
Sorry, sorry, I'm trying to delete it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Oh, you prosecute Jonathan Tweet for his beliefs?
(Some Gronards yell at me)
Sorry, sorry, I'm trying to delete it
...huh?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It also says something about a company when said volume of fan contributions is the only product line you can print on schedule.

They were finally late with it in recent years; Robotech RPG Tactics took its toll, apparently.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

Serf
May 5, 2011

This article opens with a quote from Gary Gygax, which I found interesting:

The Struggle to Bring More Women Into Game Development

Gary Gygax posted:

Gaming in general is a male thing... Everybody who’s tried to design a game to interest a large female audience has failed. And I think that has to do with the different thinking processes of men and women.

The article states that Gygax was a biological determinist, which I looked up and it is actually true. I didn't know ol' Gary was one of those :biotruths: types.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gary Gygax was born in 1938 and raised largely in Wisconsin. For a man of his time, the belief that men and women are fundamentally different was probably not a thoroughly considered thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Gary Gygax was born in 1938 and raised largely in Wisconsin. For a man of his time, the belief that men and women are fundamentally different was probably not a thoroughly considered thing.

spoiler alert: what's considered the origins of feminism started in the late 1800s and was definitely a going concern in Gygax's life. He was definitely aware of it, even if he didn't agree with it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

spoiler alert: what's considered the origins of feminism started in the late 1800s and was definitely a going concern in Gygax's life. He was definitely aware of it, even if he didn't agree with it.

Spoiler alert: biological determenist feminism has existed since the late 1800s, and was particularly in vogue in the 60s and 70s.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't find the exact date on that quote, but apparently during a Q&A with ENWorld in 2004 Gygax still professed that he was a biological determinist.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

As someone who likes old D&D, I've always found Gygax worship to be the most obnoxious and unnecessary aspect, especially in light of him being an out and out biological determinist who'd probably fit in in Gor. I mean yeah I like Greyhawk and all but all "the holy writ of Gygax" wanking is just stupid and cultish.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's wrong about it being a thought process thing, but gaming in Gygax's day wasn't the women-friendly environment it is today.

That is, as lovely as the industry (and everything in it) is to women gamers today, imagine what it was like before anyone even tried. Gygax's observation was correct that there weren't women gaming, but he's wrong in attributing it to female biology instead of male sociology.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Serf posted:

This article opens with a quote from Gary Gygax, which I found interesting:

The Struggle to Bring More Women Into Game Development

It's worth nothing that Women in Game Development is written by Jennifer Brandes Hepler (married to Chris Hepler, who also worked in RPGs), who was an RPG writer before she got into the videogames industry. She mainly wrote for SHADIS, Shadowrun, and Earthdawn, though I know her best from the Legend of the Five Rings supplement Book of the Shadowlands II: Bearers of Jade. I wrote a somewhat negative review of it, and Chris contacted me to talk with them and discuss my criticisms, which was possibly the classiest way I've ever seen a writer (or writers, in this case) address criticism.

Jennifer had her more famous bout with harassment later on, which always felt not just appalling to me, but rather surreal to me after that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

As someone who likes old D&D, I've always found Gygax worship to be the most obnoxious and unnecessary aspect, especially in light of him being an out and out biological determinist who'd probably fit in in Gor. I mean yeah I like Greyhawk and all but all "the holy writ of Gygax" wanking is just stupid and cultish.
Please source you quotes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Jennifer had her more famous bout with harassment later on, which always felt not just appalling to me, but rather surreal to me after that.

You mean how she was accused of being a "fangirl" because she enjoys storytelling in video games more than tactics, despite a long history writing games? The number 1 tactic of these types is to accuse their opponents of being fake, or that they just exist to complain, not enjoy. They think it's a withering death blow.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I dunno, I could see Gygax riding a giant mantis back home across the desert for some sexy biologically determined bondage action.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 15, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Most people who hold up Gygax as an exalted icon don't actually read what he wrote, or at the very least are fans of AD&D, not Gygax. I've said it before, but if people were genuine fans of his work, Lejendary Adventure would have more than a tiny cult community.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The most annoying part of the whole Gygax worship aspect of old-school adherents to me is how Dave Arneson so frequently gets swept under the historical rug, especially the whole bit about how Gygax used AD&D as an excuse to avoid paying him royalties.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Most people who hold up Gygax as an exalted icon don't actually read what he wrote, or at the very least are fans of AD&D, not Gygax. I've said it before, but if people were genuine fans of his work, Lejendary Adventure would have more than a tiny cult community.

They like to pick apart things he said or wrote and apply them to their arguments as if it's biblical writ. In some cases, they attribute things written by the likes of Dave Arneson, J. Eric Holmes, Tom Moldvay, Dave Cook, Frank Mentzer, etc to Gygax - it's kind of like the Stan Lee effect, everything done in early D&D is clearly a product of Gygax, right!?!?!?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 14, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gary Gygax seems to be tabletop's equivalent to Ronald Reagan. Both are revered by certain factions in their respective arenas, and yet there exist a bunch of misconceptions about their actual views and practices.

Though "Uncle Ronnie" certainly had more media attention than Gygax ever could get, for obvious reasons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm glad you're here to defend the sanctity of E. Gary Gygax and Gor.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I dunno, I could see Gygax riding a giant mantis back home across the desert for some sexy biologically determined bondage action.
Eh I think it's pretty blatant hyperbole but Gygax was irritating enough to not bother arguing to defend him. Either that or I just think of Gor as way more horrible than you do.

Like calling Reagan a Nazi. I know why you'd say it and agree with the sentiment, but it's still a bit too extreme and a few degrees in the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's worth nothing that Women in Game Development is written by Jennifer Brandes Hepler (married to Chris Hepler, who also worked in RPGs), who was an RPG writer before she got into the videogames industry. She mainly wrote for SHADIS, Shadowrun, and Earthdawn, though I know her best from the Legend of the Five Rings supplement Book of the Shadowlands II: Bearers of Jade. I wrote a somewhat negative review of it, and Chris contacted me to talk with them and discuss my criticisms, which was possibly the classiest way I've ever seen a writer (or writers, in this case) address criticism.

I knew Chris and Jennifer in Baltimore when they were still at Hopkins and running games at JohnCon. They are both really cool folks.

• Locked thread