Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Still the worst thread. Don't change.

It's gone full retard in the past page and a half.

That picture is also amazing. Alonso 2017 WDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Full retard was me and Wicka arguing over the Honda engine when we held almost identical views on it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's me. I'm the retard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
5000 word essay on what's financially wrong with F1 written by a predditor. The worst thread has some catching up to do.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hG9_xPh_JigqAeY4UQZVAfb5jplAqqXMx0vg-zfnVuw/edit

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

5000 word essay on what's financially wrong with F1 written by a predditor. The worst thread has some catching up to do.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hG9_xPh_JigqAeY4UQZVAfb5jplAqqXMx0vg-zfnVuw/edit

Unless it involves explosive bolts I don't want to read that garbage :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I didn't know Joe Saward posted on reddit.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
mangoes are poo poo

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Speaking of that dickhead;

Apple to buy F1

Ah yes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Apple to buy F1

Ah yes.

i don't understand why anyone listens to this fuckin guy

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

i don't understand why anyone listens to this fuckin guy

That article is literally dribble. Is he high?

Moron posted:

The Apple Car is expected to appear by 2020. Thus, there are three elements that would make the purchase of F1 a logical step of Apple. It can afford it, it can boost sales of Apple TVs and get people thinking about Apple in relation to cars.

Literally none of that makes any sense why Apple would plop down MILLIONS to buy Formula 1, a brand/product that has nothing in common with what they do on a daily basis or the products (or future products) they offer. How the gently caress would F1 boost sales of Apple TVs - with their awesome live race streaming app that doesn't exist?

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 13, 2016

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Isn't that rather a lot of words to just say "Bernie"?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That would explain the smell in here...

No, that's just how goons smell. Rank with despair and regrets. Sadly, most are still more coherent than Joe's Award.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

The article quotes him several times.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Literally none of that makes any sense why Apple would plop down MILLIONS to buy Formula 1, a brand/product that has nothing in common with what they do on a daily basis or the products (or future products) they offer. How the gently caress would F1 boost sales of Apple TVs - with their awesome live race streaming app that doesn't exist?

Tell me you don't want to see a Jony Ive-designed F1 car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

every drat thing he writes is just like this: broad speculation based on gently caress all that he thinks people will listen to and say "hmmm that makes sense" because he has an inflated sense of self-worth.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ahhh now thats why he's suddenly reappeared at press conferences and in the paddock. Bernie gets journalist not affiliated with the company to start rumours about a new interested party, has to be a big company so it goes round the mainstream press, stock goes up. Bernie gets more money.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Entertaining video clip from entertaining racing with entertaining radio calls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKiYSkRJ8I

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

NASCAR has been pretty solid this year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

geeves posted:

Tell me you don't want to see a Jony Ive-designed F1 car.

I just went from 6 to midnight.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Joe Saward annoys me in the same way that post modern composers make me mad. Anybody can record clips of rustling leaves over 9 months then assemble them on a reel to reel or make up some dribble about F1 on the bog but the person's actual success is actually tied to their ability to smirk and act like they're a true authority that puts the same amount of work and graft in as people who do these things legitimately. It infuriates me that if I bought tickets to every F1 race, pretended to be an old man and lied through my teeth while acting like I'm an insider that I'd enjoy the same level of success as Joe Saward.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe Quantum's finally got their funding together to buy F1.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Redbull will buy F1

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Apparently NASCAR drivers don't know how to defend against a pass?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nsaP posted:

Well we know where Rosberg will be heading at the end of this year then.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Kimi was washed up in NASCAR so Rosberg has no shot!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
NASCAR drivers are not highly trained experts like Nico who know how to cut off competitors and crash both of their cars whenever someone attempts an overtake

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes they are

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

nsaP posted:

There's not much you can do when drivers don't have to worry about front wing damage or punctures. It's basically video game racing in real life.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's hilarious because wrecks give cars areo advantage sometimes. I've seen races where teams get penalties for intentionally damaging the car in the pits.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was a fun instance of that in a Daytona 500 from the 80s, where the winning team was alleged to have built a car with an extremely weak rear spoiler, so it'd intentionally fall off during the race and give them an aero advantage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

It's hilarious because wrecks give cars areo advantage sometimes. I've seen races where teams get penalties for intentionally damaging the car in the pits.

keselowski got penalized for this bc one of his crew members very clearly throw his shoulder into the drivers side panel of the car during a pit stop. it's supposed to create side force.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

There was a fun instance of that in a Daytona 500 from the 80s, where the winning team was alleged to have built a car with an extremely weak rear spoiler, so it'd intentionally fall off during the race and give them an aero advantage.

Who was it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bobby Allison, team was DiGard.

also, I remember wrong, it was the rear bumper, not the rear spoiler.

http://racing-reference.info/race/1982_Daytona_500/W

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Haven't fiddler crabs evolved a similar tactic of losing their big, stupid claw during a scrap?

Can any evolutionary biologists weigh in please - I know you read this thread.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Whitey Ford posted:

Apple to buy F1

Ah yes.

What the gently caress is this? Why did I read this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Haven't fiddler crabs evolved a similar tactic of losing their big, stupid claw during a scrap?

Can any evolutionary biologists weigh in please - I know you read this thread.

I don''t know about crabs but it sounds like a tactic birds use. If a predictor gets hold of a bird by flight or tail feathers then they can immediately drop those feathers and fly off, although often in a wobbly way, and sometimes in a very fast and vertical way. I had a bird freak out at lightning and drop her tail feathers off while perched on the curtain rail and then look at me like "ok how the gently caress do I get down now".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

idk how we missed this news, you guys, but mclaren have signed YET ANOTHER sponsor: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/ntt-communications/mclaren-honda-and-ntt-communications-announce-technology-partnership/

wow. starting to run out of room on that car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Raikkonen fastest during testing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh but Fernando Alonso was top one day as well, which makes me think the mercs were turned right down as they tested long run pace and tried to keep their poker faces straight on the pit wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

idk how we missed this news, you guys, but mclaren have signed YET ANOTHER sponsor: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/ntt-communications/mclaren-honda-and-ntt-communications-announce-technology-partnership/

wow. starting to run out of room on that car.

What the hell is with Ron's face in that picture?

• Locked thread