Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

until you run across someone in a destroyer.

lowtiers.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Forums Terrorist posted:

Mikasa is super bad, but it's worth when you're the only BB in a tier 2 game and you terrify the newbies.

Until they realize you're much easier to hit with both tons of HE rounds and torpedoes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Aiming Mod Zero would probably fix Mikasa if they'd just give it to it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aesis posted:

https://github.com/BlindNImpotent/WoWS-Ship-Stats-Calculator/releases/tag/v0.14-alpha
Fixed some bugs and added some flags/skills as well as xp modifier and manual AA checkbox. Feedback is appreciated so I can finish implementing everything needed and transition into web based tool afterwards.

Dumb question but how do I open this? Does it need to go in the game folder etc?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lakedaimon posted:

Yorck might be my favorite cruiser of all time. I thought I was going to hate it, but its fantastic at kiting. Guns have good range and superb accuracy. It's just nimble enough to make battleships give up and shoot at an easier target after a salvo or two. And although the guns are a tad slow to reload, I found it extremely good at killing DDs with those potent HE rounds and super sonar. I regretted buying the Hipper right from go, and even though I know it would be considerably better I don't think ill bother with the Roon or Hindenburg anytime soon if ever.

You are missing a couple of very nice ships if you don't get the Roon and Hindenburg.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

I regretted buying the Hipper right from go, and even though I know it would be considerably better I don't think ill bother with the Roon or Hindenburg anytime soon if ever.

I had exactly the same experience but eventually decided to get a Roon and I can 100% say it was worth it. It has 50% better RoF with 1 more gun, much better AA and a lot more HP which also translates into better heals. I wouldn't hesitate to say abandon the Hipper and get the Roon.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

The opposing teams terror just up until you fire your guns, watch a shell go backwards and citadel a friendly cruiser.

It's guns are shockingly bad.

It's my understanding that you're better off using HE all the time in the Mikasa, due to the AP shells bouncing off the sides of tier II cruisers.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Burt posted:

Dumb question but how do I open this? Does it need to go in the game folder etc?
Just extract WoWSSSC zip with 2 files into any folder, then launch WoWSSSC.jar. You do need JRE8 (Java Runtime Environment) though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

I've watched a couple brawl and they were 3km from each other and I don't think they landed more then 2 hits from multiple salvos. However, it has secondaries out the rear end. Tossing a secondary spec'd captain in one of those will probably do pretty well, until you run across someone in a destroyer.

Actually, Mikasa does kinda well against destroyers. She's slow, but salso rather short for a battleship and she turns on a dime. I've had cases in mine where I frustated DDs hard enough to get them to try and yolo-torp me. Then the secondaries mulched 'em.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 12, 2016

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

welp looks like the patch crashes my game pre-login

e: reinstalled & ok

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 12, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yubari trip report:

It's alright.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

welp looks like the patch crashes my game pre-login

e: reinstalled & ok

Launcher --> Settings --> Support --> Check did the trick for me, without re-downloading a billion GB.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a guide to just exactly what tree "is"?

I played this game way back when it was released and i had a ton of Japanese stuff but now i don't really know what the Soviet, German and developed US and Japanese trees are supposed to be.

Are the Japanese still the go fast, big guns and torps and no armor dudes?

This game needs more guides.

Also, what's the goddamned button to lock your guns in place?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Mans posted:

Also, what's the goddamned button to lock your guns in place?

You can hold the right mouse button to lock your guns.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
ctrl x locks your guns on their current bearing. Holding right mouse also does this.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rule of the thumb: Don't get Montana and don't bother with US cruisers after Cleveland.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pretty much stop at T5 on everything but every Japanese tree, except US DDs to the Benson. Warships is WG's game for the Asian/Otaku crowd, so :japan: will never be nerfed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I just watched a Scharnhost run a train on my team because people are loving idiots and ran into its torps. All they had to do was keep some distance, but a dumbfuck in a full health Indianapolis was trying to ram him, ate the entire volley and was murdered by the Scharn's secondaries. Then a minute later, a Colorado got too close and did the same loving thing.

For having small guns at that tier, the Scharn had no issues penning a Colorado at 5ish km. Plus they seemed pretty accurate. Armor seemed pretty good too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Anything can pen at 5km. Scharnhorst seems pretty good in general though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty much stop at T5 on everything but every Japanese tree, except US DDs to the Benson. Warships is WG's game for the Asian/Otaku crowd, so :japan: will never be nerfed.

Tell that to the Kagero and Shimakaze, that have gotten hit with huge torpedo nerfs. Mostly for the same reason as CVs in general - whiny players who don't want to adapt their playstyle. Well, Shimakaze may have gotten its ahistorical speed nerf due to infringing on the make-believe Russian DD speeds instead.

Oh, and looking at the overall win rates (handily listed on Warships Today), the only non-premium ships even on the Top 10 list are all Russian (Moskva, Khabarovsk & Udaloi). And the acknowledged "OP, we're never selling it again" Imperator Nikolai I ranks #1.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Burt posted:

You are missing a couple of very nice ships if you don't get the Roon and Hindenburg.

I know the Roon is supposed to be great, but its more that I just dislike cruisers at high tiers. They get worse at killing DDs, and everything else seems to drastically increase in killing power. And with carriers so drat rare right now it feels like you are taking half a ship out there.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

Tell that to the Kagero and Shimakaze, that have gotten hit with huge torpedo nerfs. Mostly for the same reason as CVs in general - whiny players who don't want to adapt their playstyle. Well, Shimakaze may have gotten its ahistorical speed nerf due to infringing on the make-believe Russian DD speeds instead.

Oh, and looking at the overall win rates (handily listed on Warships Today), the only non-premium ships even on the Top 10 list are all Russian (Moskva, Khabarovsk & Udaloi). And the acknowledged "OP, we're never selling it again" Imperator Nikolai I ranks #1.

Whats the deal with the Imperator Nikolai? I don't think I've ever seen one have much of an impact in a battle beyond being somewhat hard to kill.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Whats the deal with the Imperator Nikolai? I don't think I've ever seen one have much of an impact in a battle beyond being somewhat hard to kill.

It can fire nine guns forward while maintaining decent angling, which no other BB can do (and certainly not at tier 4).

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Forums Terrorist posted:

Mikasa is super bad, but it's worth when you're the only BB in a tier 2 game and you terrify the newbies.

I already have a Tachibana for that, though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

I already have a Tachibana for that, though.

They're fun but terrible in completely different ways!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

wdarkk posted:

It can fire nine guns forward while maintaining decent angling, which no other BB can do (and certainly not at tier 4).

It's also quite small, with very short upper works, which makes it really easy for shells on flatter trajectories to miss completely

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Miserable night. Started off with 2 quick wins, like I had been steamrolling the previous 2 nights. Then bammmmmmm a wall of some of the worst team play I've seen in ranked this season. I should have just logged off. Instead I have no progress made. Feeling the pressure with every loss is not improving my play.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

And the acknowledged "OP, we're never selling it again" Imperator Nikolai I ranks #1.

Really glad I bought it, then. I should really get around to playing it. :v:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

As said, 9 guns forward while still maintaining bow on. The turret faces themselves are also well atmored. The guns are also quite accurate both in having a tight spread and flatter tragectory. This is atypical of bbs at that tier that have more of a shotgun approach. The main weakness is the lack of aa. As in, yhere is like 3 piddly machine guns for defense. Teaming with a yubari would actually not be a bad idea.

Played properly, it is a durable threat even in tier 5 matches. And the guns can still give solid hell at tier 6 as well.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

I know the Roon is supposed to be great, but its more that I just dislike cruisers at high tiers. They get worse at killing DDs, and everything else seems to drastically increase in killing power. And with carriers so drat rare right now it feels like you are taking half a ship out there.

The Des Moines will kill any DD within 10km in about 12 seconds (3 salvos)

Yeah cruisers become very vulnerable at higher tiers due to BBs also becoming fearsome, but the same also applies to DDs. I can get caught out in my Kamikaze/Clemson and have a decent chance to survive thanks to smoke and lower tier ship inaccuracy but if something like a Chappy, Des Moines, Roon or Hindenberg catches a DD out of position, it is almost certainly dead thanks to RoF and/or Radar.

I think the key to high level cruiser survival is patience, concealment and map awareness. Don't press too far ahead of BBs (although ideally you need to support DDs capping as well so this is the hardest thing to balance). Between salvos, have a look at where enemy BBs are pointing their guns. If they start swivelling towards you, stop firing, adjust speed, maneuver. Most of the T8+ cruisers can get very low detection radius thanks to the Stealth module and also getting close to the 15 point captain.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I just have a few quick questions I wanted to ask as I am slowly getting back into this game.

1. Is there any tricks to being a better gunner? I know that different ships have different arcs and speed on their guns but I was just wondering if there is any useful, general things that can help you be more accurate. I find my shots are often either too slow, too fast or just go over the target.

2. I am on the German Tier IV cruiser and I heard it is not very good. Is it M3 Lee levels of bad (I havent played enough to get an idea) or is it just the standard Wargame 'Give up playing sub optimal ship and buy premium' sort of deal?

3. I heard German cruisers tend to fall off after tier V. Is this true and if so should I just stick with the tier V German cruiser, moving onto something else?

4. Is the Warspite worth picking up or is it rubbish?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

SkySteak posted:

I just have a few quick questions I wanted to ask as I am slowly getting back into this game.

1. Is there any tricks to being a better gunner? I know that different ships have different arcs and speed on their guns but I was just wondering if there is any useful, general things that can help you be more accurate. I find my shots are often either too slow, too fast or just go over the target.

2. I am on the German Tier IV cruiser and I heard it is not very good. Is it M3 Lee levels of bad (I havent played enough to get an idea) or is it just the standard Wargame 'Give up playing sub optimal ship and buy premium' sort of deal?

3. I heard German cruisers tend to fall off after tier V. Is this true and if so should I just stick with the tier V German cruiser, moving onto something else?

4. Is the Warspite worth picking up or is it rubbish?

1. Practice and experience is the most effective teacher of course, there is a couple of tricks though. Which https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdcqYAUP1vQ explains better than i can.

2. The Karl is drat awful, at least it was when i tried it. It's gotten a few buffs since then but i've no idea if they were enough.

3. Otherwise i've found the line very up and down. Tier 5 is very good, tier 6 i didn't like, tier 7 was excellent, tier 8 was kinda bad, tier 9 I've found excellent. I'd imagine it's a difficult line for someone new to the game though as you've very dependant on AP and knowing when and where to use that tends to need experience. The Japanese line might be a better choice. HE gives no fucks to angling.

4. I'm not fond, too short ranged and too slow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I like Warspite a lot- it has 15" guns vs 14" on everything else T6, and good secondaries/AA/ maneuverability. It's also faster than US BBS.

The only downside imo is glacial turrets.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gwaihir posted:

I like Warspite a lot- it has 15" guns vs 14" on everything else T6, and good secondaries/AA/ maneuverability. It's also faster than US BBS.

The only downside imo is glacial turrets.

It's a shame that the Warspite didn't get the 4 torpedo tubes it had at Jutland (but didn't use as far as I can tell). You probably could have done some funny stuff with them. They were removed before/during WW2.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
When Brit ships are actually introduced I'd wager the non premium will have the different pre ww2 refit with torps/ post refit with AA available.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gwaihir posted:

When Brit ships are actually introduced I'd wager the non premium will have the different pre ww2 refit with torps/ post refit with AA available.

Something tells me the Queen Elizabeth class isn't going to be in the tree (unless it's been confirmed. I'm new to the game and haven't seen a possible Brit BB tree) the same way that the US Pennsylvania class got the Arizona as a premium but isn't part of the tree. That said, the Bismark is going to be a non-Premium T8 and the Tirpitz is a Premium so who knows.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty sure there will be no torps on non-premium BBs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

As said, 9 guns forward while still maintaining bow on. The turret faces themselves are also well armored. The guns are also quite accurate both in having a tight spread and flatter trajectory. This is atypical of bbs at that tier that have more of a shotgun approach. The main weakness is the lack of aa. As in, yhere is like 3 piddly machine guns for defense. Teaming with a yubari would actually not be a bad idea.

Played properly, it is a durable threat even in tier 5 matches. And the guns can still give solid hell at tier 6 as well.

wdarkk posted:

Ok, that makes sense.

I'll have to remind myself to focus those down in the future. One thing I dislike with WoWs is they do a worse job of making premium ships available, a bunch of ships are around for a few weeks and then disappear for good. Usually it seems that is because they forgot to balance them properly. Looking at you Gremyaschy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why don't they just rebalance the drat things, then?

Because the people who bought them whine if they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Why don't they just rebalance the drat things, then?

Because the people who bought them whine if they do?

Yes.