Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

And yet with all of this blustery bullshit, you didn't bother to answer the question.

Please source where full RIOT REGALIA is being utilized during routine policing.

You are the idiot who brought full RIOT REGALIA into the discussion of community policing and outreach. But hey, that may just me being pedantic. :rolleyes:

jesus christ

so what is this post then?

reallivedinosaur posted:

lol

"community policing is like an occupying army"

"the only answer is more community policing"

you don't want to solve anything you just want to see more people get killed on TV, i doubt you even care what color they are

because I never said 'community policing is like an occupying army' EVER. Dude clearly does not know what community policing even is.

All I said is the cops in the photo in the OP look like an occupying army. Which they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Do it ironically posted:

it's actually you that's the retarded one, just click that little question mark under your username for the proof :)

i clicked on the thing that says 'rap sheet' to check you out, and surprise surprise multiple probations for idiot racist poo poo

maybe they were supposed to be ironic

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

because I never said 'community policing is like an occupying army' EVER.

Moridin920 posted:

community policing is not walking in with full RIOT regalia with no markings anywhere, idiot.
Which certainly looks like an implication that "full RIOT regalia with no markings anywhere" is the norm or even remotely common outside of protests/riots.

You seriously have brain damage, don't you? And yes, I have grown up in a family full of cops who actually walked beats back in the day. So yeah, I know what the gently caress it (community policing) is/means you pathetic forum warrior.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2016

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Tricky D posted:

Maybe the thing for #BLM to do is organize themselves into an effective voting bloc and stump for candidates of their choosing who will make the systematic changes they want. Not on the national level where politicians are least involved with the day to day operation of law enforcement, but positions like the mayors, sherrifs, and judges that preside over the most affected communities.

lol like this is even possible

you can't win anything as a third party candidate and neither of the two major parties will even consider a candidate for any level that hasn't been playing the local politics game for years and years to prove that they are 100% status quo and have lots of connections to money

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

You seriously have brain damage, don't you? And yes, I have grown up in a family full of cops who actually walked beats back in the day. So yeah, I know what the gently caress it is/means you pathetic forum warrior.

Here is what I said: "Community policing is good and we should do that to bridge the enmity between the community and the police. When the police look and act like occupying soldiers, it does 0 good."

then some other poster came in and said 'you just want to see people die because on the one hand you say community policing is good and on the other hand you say the cops in that photo are scary/militarized so what do you want?' on some idiot poo poo.

idk what your major malfunction is that you can't parse that. hell you can't even come up with an original diss you just mirror mine right back at me like you are 5.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 13, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe take a deep breath and read over the page again because you're seriously not understanding and just raging out instead lol

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Somehow this thread gets worse.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Here is what I said: "Community policing is good and we should do that to bridge the enmity between the community and the police. When the police look and act like occupying soldiers, it does 0 good."

And you implied that "full RIOT regalia with no markings anywhere" were being used for normal policing. Which it is certainly not. Unless you are equating duty during an event where they may likely be pelted with bricks, bottles and fireworks as the run of the mill day of policing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

Which certainly looks like an implication that "full RIOT regalia with no markings anywhere" is the norm or even remotely common outside of protests/riots.

No it's not at all an implication that that is the norm. I'm specifically referencing the situation that spawned this thread and the photo in the OP

Cartouche posted:

And you implied that "full RIOT regalia with no markings anywhere" were being used for normal policing. Which it is certainly not. Unless you are equating duty during an event where they may likely be pelted with bricks, bottles and fireworks as the run of the mill day of policing.

well if you thought I implied that then I must have not been clear.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Boner Zone posted:

The police's idea of community policing is at best driving through bad neighborhoods a little more slowly than usual

that's exactly what it is, also they will jump out of their cars and search anyone that looks at them or anyone that is riding a bicycle

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my grand unified theory of police pussification:

- We need community policing. Beat cops. Cops who interact with people. People who know the officers' names who are in their community.

- Less militarization of the police. Less adversarial attitudes between cops and civilians.

- Going into pissed off communities looking like they do in the OP's photo helps nothing at all whatsoever and only serves to create more distrust and fear. Cops 30-40 years ago managed to handle much more violent riots and situations without donning full suit blacked out armor and riding around in surplus armored military vehicles.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Shows how racist and hypocritical the GOP and the NRA are imo - white militias 'protecting' their property? Fine. Black people trying to patrol their neighborhoods? Haha NOPE NOPE NOPE pass gun control!!!

Too bad all their leadership got COINTELPRO'd

The NRA was not actually a gun rights organization prior to the membership revolting in the early 1990's. They represented hunters/law enforcement and approved of/sponsored essentially every major piece of federal gun control legislation prior to that. :ssh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LGD posted:

The NRA was not actually a gun rights organization prior to the membership revolting in the early 1990's. They represented hunters/law enforcement and approved of/sponsored essentially every major piece of federal gun control legislation prior to that. :ssh:

You're right but your timeline is off. The NRA had a change of heart ~1977.

But yeah, you're right.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sorry all but that baton rouge photo with the nicely dressed black girl and the bumbling cops as iconic is set in stone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

emphasis on bumbling loving cops

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

emphasis on bumbling loving cops

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
we wouldn't need police if there weren't criminals, maybe that phillipines guy is on to something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
quotas gotta get filled

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm pedantic you guys. lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

- We need community policing. Beat cops. Cops who interact with people. People who know the officers' names who are in their community.

- Less militarization of the police. Less adversarial attitudes between cops and civilians.

- Going into pissed off communities looking like they do in the OP's photo helps nothing at all whatsoever and only serves to create more distrust and fear. Cops 30-40 years ago managed to handle much more violent riots and situations without donning full suit blacked out armor and riding around in surplus armored military vehicles.

i'd add:

- end the federal government's promotion of "drug" arrests (no more checks from the DEA for arresting stoners)

- strong laws to discourage police administration from judging an individual officer's job performance based on number/type of arrests

- prohibition on transferring any equipment from DOD to police departments

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

You're right but your timeline is off. The NRA had a change of heart ~1977.

But yeah, you're right.

That was when they began organizing politically, but as an organization they didn't really move to positions similar to what people think of the NRA as having "always had" until the late 80's/early 90's. They approached the 1986 FOPA from a very different perspective than the modern NRA would (largely because of the fallout of that and the Clinton administration's gun control initiatives).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it also doesn't help with community policing when a lot of inner city police forces don't have a single person on the force that lives in the areas they're policing

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
do any of the people talking about community policing know their neighbours names?

just curious - but I'm guessing most don't really give a gently caress about "their community" or "their people" outside of written diatribes

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

you just stole guiliani's successful new york plan pretty much

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FuhrerHat posted:

giuliani is a racist now, he spoke out against BLM

and now you're a racist for mentioning him

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*inserts 'all lives matter' into baseball game*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just to be clear I don't like the BLM organization.

reallivedinosaur posted:

do any of the people talking about community policing know their neighbours names?

just curious - but I'm guessing most don't really give a gently caress about "their community" or "their people" outside of written diatribes

... yes? What a strange thing to say lol - 'black people don't care about the black community they just want attention.'

FuhrerHat posted:

I mean it's not like I'm some genius who is the only one that can see the flaws in the way things are done. It's just that there clearly isn't the political will or desire in these areas to do that, coupled with a bunch of idiots bleating about how 'everything is fine, blacks are just violent.'

City of Tampa posted:

i'd add:

- end the federal government's promotion of "drug" arrests (no more checks from the DEA for arresting stoners)

- strong laws to discourage police administration from judging an individual officer's job performance based on number/type of arrests

All good things as well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i dont like the lack of transferable equipment mainly because youll just end up selling it somewhere else and causing a problem there instead but otherwise ya, good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's a good point. Idk what we should do with it all but I don't know that Arpaio should be allowed to have his self propelled artillery whether or not its main gun has been disabled.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
not sad that at least one white supremacist piggy got elite sniped

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

reallivedinosaur posted:

we're goons, we haven't seen our neighbours in years

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

FuhrerHat posted:

i dont like the lack of transferable equipment mainly because youll just end up selling it somewhere else and causing a problem there instead but otherwise ya, good

I long for the day when rednecks can own Army surplus MRAPS and use them to roll coal on cops driving around in Priuses

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We can cut out the middle man and just start selling our milsurp directly to ISIS. Hell, it could go a long way to fixing the relationship between us.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

City of Tampa posted:

I long for the day when rednecks can own Army surplus MRAPS and use them to roll coal on cops driving around in Priuses

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

i'd add:

We could cross those all out and replace them with
- Legalize all drugs and put production and distribution into government hands
- tax the hell out of them
- use the tax money (who am I kidding that taxes go for what they were originally purposed for) to have better health care and addiction assistance

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

reallivedinosaur posted:

I do. They're mormons. :)

Moved here from Pittsburgh where community policing used to actually be a thing. I knew our neighbors names there as well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But that would mean letting people do drugs!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

But that would mean letting people do drugs!

:derp:

Would also mean job creation, less violent crime, more money all around, less cartels, less bad threads in GBS

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The police are fine once you end the loving drug war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Also, the left doesn't want to admit the 2nd amendment allows you to shoot corrupt cops and the right doesn't want to admit Micah Johnson was fighting tyranny with the 2nd amendment

• Locked thread