Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

quote:

He’s behind Dorial Green-Beckham and Corey Coleman, who have proven exactly nothing in the NFL.

*takes deep breath*
Dgb has proven he could possibly be a physical dominant receiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
That was pretty drat click-baity. I agree that Smith is undervalued, but I don't think it's the deep threat who gets the most work in Chip Kelly's offense, it's the slot receiver. All aboard the Bruce Ellington hype train, choo choo!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

That was pretty drat click-baity. I agree that Smith is undervalued, but I don't think it's the deep threat who gets the most work in Chip Kelly's offense, it's the slot receiver. All aboard the Bruce Ellington hype train, choo choo!

Actually Deandre Smelter is going to tear it up

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
"this rookie receiver hasn't proven anything in the NFL, how dare you draft him before a guy who just had his worst season in his career and a total question mark at QB?"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That particular rookie has RG3 throwing to him so I don't know if you're proving the point you're trying to prove.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Okay so tell me I'm not being irrational.

I'm in a bit of a goofy league. We're a custom MFL 12-team league that tries to mix things up to keep things fresh (8 years running so far). One of the things we've done the last few years is allow all teams, regardless of season record, into the playoffs. Division winners get a first week bye and the seeding is reordered after each week according to season record (ensuring the season's best team always plays the season's worst remaining team).

So this year, the commish is proposing giving higher seeded playoff teams a 6 point "home team" advantage. His reasoning goes something like "poorly performing teams wouldn't even be given a playoff chance except here so this is just to reward those teams that do well."

I'm pretty aghast at the boldness of granting an extra touchdown to "better" players. I'm of the opinion that there are already enough benefits built into the playoff bracket system itself (high seeds playing low seeds, the every week re-seeding). But am I over-reacting?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Coleman's QB situation is not a plus, but his ability, opportunity, and coaching staff are. I like the rest of the article and agree with the point that you shouldn't avoid Smith because LOLNiners, I just thought the line about DGB and Coleman was odd. There's plenty to like about those guys too. I'd rather use Snead or Marvin Jones as examples of players who probably shouldn't be drafted before Smith.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I gotcha. I may have not been clear in that paragraph that it was team's #1 WRs only that I was looking at, so they wouldn't have made it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
But Dgb isn't the wr#1 though

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Spoeank posted:

That particular rookie has RG3 throwing to him so I don't know if you're proving the point you're trying to prove.

Let's play a game called "Guess the QB!!":

pre:
Player	Comp/G	Att/G	%	Y/G	Y/A	300+	TD/G	Int/G
QB#1	22.25	35.25	63.10	253.90	7.20	2.00	1.25	0.88
QB#2	21.08	35.08	60.10	246.40	7.00	3.00	1.23	0.92
QB#3	18.06	29.88	60.50	210.60	7.00	1.00	1.19	0.63
And then for comparison here is Drew Brees' "lackluster" 2015 season:
pre:
Player	Comp/G	Att/G	%	Y/G	Y/A	300+	TD/G	Int/G
QB#4	28.53	41.80	68.30	324.70	7.80	10.00	2.13	0.73
So one of those first three guys is RG3, one of them is Blaine Gabbert, one of them is Colin Kaepernick. First tell me which is which, and then tell me why it would ever matter which of the three is passing to your WR because oh god the horror, whyyyy they are all so bad.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 13, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Metapod posted:

But Dgb isn't the wr#1 though

He is by FantasyPros ADP, which is what I went by buthe's trash

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Please note I don't think DGB is trash just that he may have Christine Michael Disease aka Just Doesn't Get It Syndrome

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
DGB is raw as hell and I just wanted to make sure you honestly thought he was going to be the number 1 this year because he's not

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spoeank posted:

Please note I don't think DGB is trash just that he may have Christine Michael Disease aka Just Doesn't Get It Syndrome

Here Lies Justin Hunter, Remember the good times when people thought he would be a thing

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
That Christine Michael train from last year, tho.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

Here Lies Justin Hunter, Remember the good times when people thought he would be a thing

That first season that composed of nothing but a small sample size of sheer highlight catches was a thing of beauty

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

Poor Jerious Norwood even lost his disease

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

That Christine Michael train from last year, tho.

I'm stashing him everywhere I can in dynasty. I Want To Believe.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm stashing him everywhere I can in dynasty. I Want To Believe.

You should be stashing C.J. Prosise instead

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Spoeank posted:

Your hate for DGB seems almost irrational at this point. He was playing ~50 snaps a game by the end of last season so to put him in a "just doesn't get it" category already seems like nonsense to me. Why do you believe he is so worthless?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Probably because he's on the titans and the time a physical freak looked the part for the Titans he immediately had a season ending injury then went back to mediocrity

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Benne posted:

You should be stashing C.J. Prosise instead

He's being overvalued imo, going like 1.07-1.10. Michael is free.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Your hate for DGB seems almost irrational at this point. He was playing ~50 snaps a game by the end of last season so to put him in a "just doesn't get it" category already seems like nonsense to me. Why do you believe he is so worthless?

We're talking about his fantasy value by snap counts. He got 8 targets in his last two games. He got pulled on running plays because is a lazy blocker. He can't separate when he gets bodied up to save his life despite being a physical freak. His route running is sloppy. He says he's going to go into the off-season working to become the Titans #1 receiver then the next thing we see from him is Mike Bullshit having to slot him as a backup to get a boot up his rear end.

It's really hard to be in the NFL and even harder to be good in the NFL. You have to be a physical freak and also try. Nothing in DGB's past or present shows he has any intention of trying.

I'm open to changing my interpretation of him as camp and preseason approaches but as of right now he's shown me nothing to show he can have any sort of consistency completely due to his own inability to put in effort.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This absolutely has nothing to do with your point but check mate :chord: https://youtu.be/AYu42eqrQGQ

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

If coaches are putting a rookie out there for 50 snaps a game, then he isn't a C-Mike shithead who couldn't even get on the field until his reunion with the Seahawks. He may be a flawed player but he GETS football. He just needs to get better at it, like pretty much every rookie player.

drat you are harsh on a dude who was definitely not the worst rookie ever.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I feel like I went back in time and read a Raiders Randy Moss post.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

If coaches are putting a rookie out there for 50 snaps a game, then he isn't a C-Mike shithead who couldn't even get on the field until his reunion with the Seahawks. He may be a flawed player but he GETS football. He just needs to get better at it, like pretty much every rookie player.

drat you are harsh on a dude who was definitely not the worst rookie ever.

drat right I'm harsh. I'm harsh in that this is my evaluation of him after one season with the information I have in front of me. This evaluation will change if DGB shows me something. I'm not counting him out at all, I'm saying with what I have he's not worth your time in 2016.

Again, come August, this might change.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Look at this pussy not going do or die on his hot takes

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

*slams fist on table*

DGB SUCKS NOW AND HE'LL SUCK FOR THE NEXT HUNDRED YEARS

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

But what if DGB was white showed more hustle?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spoeank posted:

*slams fist on table*

DGB SUCKS NOW AND HE'LL SUCK FOR THE NEXT HUNDRED YEARS

Yes now I will hit you with the ultimate burn when he breaks out

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Oh no I was just joking what have I done. And then tiptoes caught my secret fantasy football racism. No no no none of this is going according to plan I just wanted Torrey Smith hot taeks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Spoeank you've been eXp0SeD

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i like spoeank's opinions spoeank for taq mod

DGB could be good, but right now there are just better options w/r/t estimated production vs. ADP (Smith, Moncreif) and nothing really matters right now because we're essentially still in the best ball phase so sopeank's hot take is super en fuego while also exactly right for this very second in time so yeah what clone out

e: torrey smith will still be a fevered nightmare only worthy of the darkest souls

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Oh I'd take several guys before DGB at his 9th round ADP. Jamison Crowder and Mike Thomas are two youngsters I like more. Kamar Aiken too, although I expect his ADP to move above the 9th before drafts but if it does, change it to V-Jax then who can also be had after DGB. Could even take Rishard Matthews in the last round and probably outproduce DGB. But I'm always going to target dudes like DGB somewhere in drafts who have the physical profile of WR1s and just need to make that jump to the next level.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Look, just don't draft a Titan who isn't Delanie Walker. Duh. Problem solved.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Okay so tell me I'm not being irrational.

I'm in a bit of a goofy league. We're a custom MFL 12-team league that tries to mix things up to keep things fresh (8 years running so far). One of the things we've done the last few years is allow all teams, regardless of season record, into the playoffs. Division winners get a first week bye and the seeding is reordered after each week according to season record (ensuring the season's best team always plays the season's worst remaining team).

So this year, the commish is proposing giving higher seeded playoff teams a 6 point "home team" advantage. His reasoning goes something like "poorly performing teams wouldn't even be given a playoff chance except here so this is just to reward those teams that do well."

I'm pretty aghast at the boldness of granting an extra touchdown to "better" players. I'm of the opinion that there are already enough benefits built into the playoff bracket system itself (high seeds playing low seeds, the every week re-seeding). But am I over-reacting?

I have a league that does this. It's only 5 points rather than 6 though. It's never struck me as being too much of a big deal either way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I have a league that does this. It's only 5 points rather than 6 though. It's never struck me as being too much of a big deal either way.

I think that's mostly how I'd view it too, except I definitely would prefer not to have that bonus. A 5 or 6 point boost is like turning their RB2 into a stud RB1, which is a pretty nice advantage, but also not a huge deal compared to week to week variability of scoring.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Quick dynasty question for you guys:

I've just signed up to a new startup league - 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 2 RB/3 WR/1 TE/2 flex, 12 teams.

This is my first 2QB league, but the scoring rules seem to be geared for big plays.

QB: 1 pt for every 50 yards passing, 3 points for a 300 yard game, +1 for 400, etc. 4 pts for passing TDs, 6 pts for rushing TDs.
Also 1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving, 3 points for 100 yards rushing/receiving.

So... how the hell do I draft for this? Looking at scoring for last year the top 5 total points were Cam, Brady, A. Brown, Palmer and Julio with Cam having a pretty large lead for 1st. RBs seem to be pretty low in scoring compared to WRs here too so I'm thinking I need to target QBs and WRs early on and pray for RB dart throws and value picks mid-rounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Amergin posted:

Quick dynasty question for you guys:

I've just signed up to a new startup league - 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 2 RB/3 WR/1 TE/2 flex, 12 teams.

This is my first 2QB league, but the scoring rules seem to be geared for big plays.

QB: 1 pt for every 50 yards passing, 3 points for a 300 yard game, +1 for 400, etc. 4 pts for passing TDs, 6 pts for rushing TDs.
Also 1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving, 3 points for 100 yards rushing/receiving.

So... how the hell do I draft for this? Looking at scoring for last year the top 5 total points were Cam, Brady, A. Brown, Palmer and Julio with Cam having a pretty large lead for 1st. RBs seem to be pretty low in scoring compared to WRs here too so I'm thinking I need to target QBs and WRs early on and pray for RB dart throws and value picks mid-rounds?

I don't think it changes much from more typical yardage with respect to QB vs WR/RB. What it does is really value TDs. Boom/bust deep threats get a bump, goal line backs (Hill, Blount, maybe Ivory?) get a bump. Running vs passing QBs still similar trade offs, as passing QBs should get more passing TDs than running QBs, ya know? Bumps up good TEs some, since while they get less yardage than WRs, they'll get a competitive number of TDs.

Edit: But yeah, 2 QB plus yardage values decreased means you need to hit QBs early and often. Almost certainly will be worth it to reach slightly on a QB than to go for a better WR and miss out on a QB run, for example.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread