Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

How is Jeremy Renner in these movies again?

It's like "hi I'm your unmarried uncle who is a middle manager at an accounting firm and maybe I did some bicep curls and I just wandered into this superhero group and they haven't made me leave yet"

I mean we know that Black Widow got some off-brand Soviet Super Soldier Serum, as did Winter Soldier, but I don't think Hawkeye's power is ever really explained beyond "he's really loving accurate with his bow and has a bunch of different arrows he can shoot"

Which, I will grant, can be pretty good if you're shooting from far enough and have some really nasty arrows, but then he routinely gets into fights where he's close enough to club a sucker with the bow, which seems counter-productive for someone that's ostensibly grade-A normal homo sapien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hawkeye owns you scrubs

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean we know that Black Widow got some off-brand Soviet Super Soldier Serum, as did Winter Soldier, but I don't think Hawkeye's power is ever really explained beyond "he's really loving accurate with his bow and has a bunch of different arrows he can shoot"

Which, I will grant, can be pretty good if you're shooting from far enough and have some really nasty arrows, but then he routinely gets into fights where he's close enough to club a sucker with the bow, which seems counter-productive for someone that's ostensibly grade-A normal homo sapien.

He's literally just a dude who practices a lot with arrows

"I'm on a team with super-humans. And one god, in case you've forgotten. Even you... well, you climb walls really well. The training is the only thing that makes me special. And if I'm not special, then none of this is worth it. I gave up a lot for this life. I could have been happy with Mockingbir-- Bobbi. We could have had a good, simple life. But I wanted to play with the big boys. And if I miss, it means I'm just another dude with a bow. It means I've been fooling myself this whole time. And that's why I never miss. -Clint Barton from Earth 616 comic books"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They should do a movie where the super villain's plan is to inject as many people with super soldier serum as possible and usher in a new age of equality and peace

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Moridin920 posted:

They should do a movie where the super villain's plan is to inject as many people with super soldier serum as possible and usher in a new age of equality and peace

that's The Incredibles

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

He's literally just a dude who practices a lot with arrows

"I'm on a team with super-humans. And one god, in case you've forgotten. Even you... well, you climb walls really well. The training is the only thing that makes me special. And if I'm not special, then none of this is worth it. I gave up a lot for this life. I could have been happy with Mockingbir-- Bobbi. We could have had a good, simple life. But I wanted to play with the big boys. And if I miss, it means I'm just another dude with a bow. It means I've been fooling myself this whole time. And that's why I never miss. -Clint Barton from Earth 616 comic books"

and then he missed in that same issue and spiderman lied to make him feel better, thus invalidating hawkeye's entire existence. arguing that hawkeye is cool and useful is fine, but maybe you shouldn't quote a comic where he portrayed as an ineffectual clown?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the watchmen wasn't a good movie at all so it's not shocking all the marvel ones would be rated higher, even the mediocre ones

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I remembered liking Watchmen when I saw it in the theaters. Then I watched some of it on tv a few months ago and was shocked by how bad the acting was. Like absolutely atrocious.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Serious Frolicking posted:

and then he missed in that same issue and spiderman lied to make him feel better, thus invalidating hawkeye's entire existence. arguing that hawkeye is cool and useful is fine, but maybe you shouldn't quote a comic where he portrayed as an ineffectual clown?

Relax nerd

I'm not gonna read comic books lol I got that quote off the internet

I'm too cool for you, actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in reply, I'm just a cool dude I guess :pilot: Y'know? Just a cool dude on the Internet

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you think about it all superheros are clowns

they dress in gaudy colors and entertain us

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

that's The Incredibles

except that movie is told from the villian's point of view

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

Relax nerd

I'm not gonna read comic books lol I got that quote off the internet

I'm too cool for you, actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in reply, I'm just a cool dude I guess :pilot: Y'know? Just a cool dude on the Internet

too late, you already defended hawkeye on the internet. your virginity has now been officially reinstated.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

too late, you already defended hawkeye on the internet. your virginity has now been officially reinstated.

"Re"?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Do it ironically posted:

the watchmen wasn't a good movie at all so it's not shocking all the marvel ones would be rated higher, even the mediocre ones

They circumcized doc manhattan. Shameful

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i was trying not to embarrass him

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if only some superhero would save us from these terrible comic book movies

he could be called 'Grow the gently caress Up Man'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

Apache Chief?????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

we need Ozymandias but instead of nuking* all of earths major cities he obliterates every video game studio and social media HQ

*inb4 "they weren't nukes you plebeian"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

if only some superhero would save us from these terrible comic book movies

a large percentage of 30 year olds are playing a pokemon game. the decadent west is encouraging interests leading to intellectual regression, filling our lives with inconsequential minutiae distracting us from the slow decay of our own culture, a slow moral and cultural death which will only be brought to its end under the heel of the caliphate, which will ban such irresponsible and frivolous pastimes so we can live life as god intended.

naem
May 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hawkeye the character is fine I'm talking about this guy:

Hi I'm your dad/an accountant, they handed me a bow and some arrows? Is this a movie? Hmm maybe if I squint a lot and just stand in the back

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

germy runner is cool

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

naem posted:

Hawkeye the character is fine I'm talking about this guy:

Hi I'm your dad/an accountant, they handed me a bow and some arrows? Is this a movie? Hmm maybe if I squint a lot and just stand in the back

I'm the scene where his character acknowledges that it is, in fact, a stupid as hell movie

naem
May 29, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

germy runner is cool

How? No sarcasm whatsoever just, how.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Pretty sure there's a scene in Age of Ultron where he straight up says ""What the gently caress am I even doing in this movie, I don't have superpowers or nothin". I'd check but that would require watching Age of Ultron.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

idk he seems okay. he doesn't appear to be nuts and was in some good movies. assassination of jesse james, the hurt locker, ghost protocol

Network Pesci posted:

Pretty sure there's a scene in Age of Ultron where he straight up says ""What the gently caress am I even doing in this movie, I don't have superpowers or nothin". I'd check but that would require watching Age of Ultron.

he says something more along the lines of "we're fighting a bajillion death robots in a flying city, two guys are wearing capes, I have a bow and arrow, nothing makes any sense", yet another example of joss whedon's insufferable literary winks

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 13, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Jeremy Renner is good as Hawkeye because he understands the character, like here:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/752710818568015872

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's brutal

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really know what that means

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

i don't really know what that means

Same

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

jeremy renner seems like the only guy in hollywood who would actually get into a fight and whoop somebody's rear end

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Re: Hawkeye, the line in Civil War where he says "I tried golf. I played 18, I shot 18. I just can't miss!" really makes no loving sense at all but I guess it sounded cool when they wrote it, and especially makes no sense in the context of "I'm just good because I practice a lot with a bow"

It didn't ruin the movie for me, I still liked it, but why did he turn into Kim Jong Il

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
I rewatched Justice League Unlimited while I had some time off of work here recently and I have a question. Is The Question in the comics a conspiracy theory nutter like he is in the show? If he is in buying those picture books.

naem
May 29, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

idk he seems okay. he doesn't appear to be nuts and was in some good movies. assassination of jesse james, the hurt locker, ghost protocol

In the hurt locker Jeremy Renner plays a generic 35 year old white guy in a uniform whose only facial expression is a grimace where that made sense.

In the avengers he plays a generic 35 year old white guy whose only facial expression is a grimace, didn't make as much sense

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Moridin920 posted:

This is the plot of Injustice: Gods Among Us and Superman is the super villain.

http://injustice.wikia.com/wiki/Injustice:_Gods_Among_Us_Comic

E: I could see the DCU movies heading for this one, easily.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oddly enough, the injustice comics are the best take on superman gone bad in any medium. it is kind of strange how a tie-in comic for a crappy fighting game handles a bunch of characters way better than the main dc line does.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Neurosis posted:

a large percentage of 30 year olds are playing a pokemon game. the decadent west is encouraging interests leading to intellectual regression, filling our lives with inconsequential minutiae distracting us from the slow decay of our own culture, a slow moral and cultural death which will only be brought to its end under the heel of the caliphate, which will ban such irresponsible and frivolous pastimes so we can live life as god intended.

it's just like they say, 'you'll love living in interesting times!'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is the plot of Injustice: Gods Among Us and Superman is the super villain.

http://injustice.wikia.com/wiki/Injustice:_Gods_Among_Us_Comic

E: I could see the DCU movies heading for this one, easily.

man there's so many good stories to pull from the comics and they always just go with the dumbest poo poo for some reason

like gently caress stupid rear end snyder batman v superman make a Red Son movie you jackasses

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

you assume that a large percentage of 30 year olds in any time period weren't doing frivolous masturbatory bullshit anyway

allahu ackbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Neurosis posted:

Hey I liked your movie Birdman; Alejandro González Iñárritu, you should go to CD since they also share your vision that Superhero movies are "Cultural Genocide"

• Locked thread