Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

suicidesteve posted:

The only real difference between Doomsday and ANT is when you cast Ad Nauseam or Tendrils in ANT you win the game, and when you cast Doomsday you tank for 40 seconds, realize you screwed up the pile, and scoop.

Pretty much this, but if you're playing Doomsday or ANT in the first place (which I am the latter and have considered the former), then you're ok with the above situation because part of you hates yourself anyways and that's totally awesome. I don't think it's better than ANT but it's a fun way to mix things up. It's pretty sweet playing a card that says "BBB: this game is about to end one way or another."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mcmagic posted:

I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...
Everything has bad matchups and if you switch to a deck you have less experience playing you will lose to your mistakes more often. Legacy is not Standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

standard.deviant posted:

Everything has bad matchups and if you switch to a deck you have less experience playing you will lose to your mistakes more often. Legacy is not Standard.

I have experience with Shardless and with Sultai Delver too. Just not sure which one is best for the weekend though I don't know if their Eldrazi matchups are much better than Grixis.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

mcmagic posted:

I would just stick with it because you might weaken your other matchups by switching to something like Shardless. Unless you're going to try to change your sideboard up specifically for Eldrazi, I'd say you're better off just hoping you don't run into them more than once or twice...and if you do hopefully you can pull out with a win. But then again I don't play Grixis so I'm not sure how bad that matchup is for you.

edit: and yeah what standard.deviant said

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Just play max strixes and hope to be lucky.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I have experience with Shardless and with Sultai Delver too. Just not sure which one is best for the weekend though I don't know if their Eldrazi matchups are much better than Grixis.

Grixis Delver with Stifles is probably not good (though most aren't playing Stifles anyway) but that eldrazi deck is still a Stompy deck. they don't have any manipulation like you do. More Pierces and Strixes seems good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Striges*

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I have no idea if that is really correct, and even if it is, I will not write it that way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

Grixis Delver with Stifles is probably not good (though most aren't playing Stifles anyway) but that eldrazi deck is still a Stompy deck. they don't have any manipulation like you do. More Pierces and Strixes seems good.

I do play Stifles but i agree with you about Strix's. I want 1 in the Main and probably 2 more in the board.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AgentSythe posted:

I have no idea if that is really correct, and even if it is, I will not write it that way

It technically is, but no one learns Latin or Greek anymore. Either spelling is fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AgentSythe posted:

I support you in this endeavor.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

*insert "why not both?" GIF here*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Moat.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Chains doesn't do anything against D&T or Eldrazi.

4x Moat + something for delvers and deathrites, win all day errday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Chains doesn't do anything against D&T or Eldrazi.

4x Moat + something for delvers and deathrites, win all day errday.

Chains stops SoFI and Endbringer.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Chains stops SoFI and Endbringer.

Are we just being pedantic here or are we pretending this is a reason to run chains against those decks?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Are we just being pedantic here or are we pretending this is a reason to run chains against those decks?

This is the Something Awful internet comedy forums. What do you think?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

This is the Something Awful internet comedy forums. What do you think?

I feel its a 50/50 split, which is why I was asking.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

W/b Parfait with both, not close

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Run 4x Tabernacle as well just to strut your stuff.

e; And mirror gallery. I wonder if that affects the Global Enchantment restriction, but I don't think it does.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I dont own tabernacle :saddowns:

I think I'm gonna go with 4 plateaus and play blood moon, stompy lands/chrome mox/mox diamond, moats, and a smattering of zany angels, elspeths and nahiris. And 1 emrakul because why not at that point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Once again it was Mill'er Time at Modern FNM. Small crowd of six tonight, so three rounds with cut to top 2-
Deck: Esper Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Breaking // Entering
2 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
2 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
1 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Disenchant
1 Echoing Truth
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Hide // Seek
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Pithing Needle
2 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics
I was supposed to have a second Snapcaster but it didn't arrive in time (would replace a Thought Scour)

Round 1: UR Pyro-Delver. Game 1 we both start fast but he's slightly faster, hitting me for lethal combat with no burn in hand and no cards in his library. Game 2 I'm way slower and while I can stall with Engineered Explosives, he lands a Sword of Feast and Famine(!) that outraces me. 0-1 (0-2)

Round 2: GW Midrange/Beats. Kind of budget but not terribe; Smiter, Serra Avenger, Wilt-Leaf Liege, Advent of the Wurm(!), Warden of the First Tree(!!) etc. Game 1 I'm able to outrace a pair of Strangleroot Geists, Game 2 he gets Warden/Smiter/Fleecemane Lion but I get a Crypt Incursion late which gives me enough time to win. Mesmeric Orb did work in this matchup. 1-1 (2-2)

Round 3: Bring to Light Scapeshift. Game 1 he scoops to a turn 3 double Archive Trap -> Surgical on Scapeshift, but doesn't scoop to one on turn 4 in Game 2 as he's boarded in a playset of Obstinate Baloth. Luckily I draw enough Paths to live and finish him with double Mind Funeral (aided by the land searches off Path). He seems a little salty but talks shop with me afterwords and suggests Murderous Cut in the SB as Incursion/Surgical-friendly removal. 2-1 (4-2)

Fate smiles upon me and decides I make the top two cut. Fate then take a dump on my chest by pairing me against...

Final round- Affinity. Game 1 he has a near-perfect draw. Game 2 he hits for seven poison with a Cranial Plating'd Inkmoth, then in the next turn or two I go Hurkyl's (killing a Glimmervoid) -> Surgical (on Cranial Plating) -> Ghost Quarter on Inkmoth -> Stony Silence -> Crypt Incursion for 30+ life. Game 3 I go for broke and spend some life to keep the pressure on him, which comes back to bite me when some good combat math lets him take me down from 11 life in one swing. You play to win the game I guess! Also gently caress Cranial Plating. 2-2 (5-4)

Ended up turning $10 into $25, and turning that into a pair of Heaths and a Qasali Pridemage for my Junk project. More importantly my prize payout streak with Mill is still intact :toot:

Does anyone want to make a case for keeping Thought Scour? I boarded them out in every match, and one of them is about to become a Snapcaster anyway. I'm also considering putting the third Crypt Incursion back in the MB since my meta seems more geared towards creature-focused decks (the one guy I didn't play all night was on BW Eldrazi Taxes), and once I'm at two Scours I might as well put something else there. But the deck is also sorely lacking in turn 1 plays for how fast it wants to go, and Thought Scouring someone right after they Scry is still really funny. However, I don't know if it's better than a pick two of Snap/Breaking/Orb/Incursion/Ghost Quarter.

Also, any sideboard ideas in general? A lot of my SB is applicable to the Affinity matchup but overlaps with other stuff. In particular I wasn't sure what to board in against the Pyro-Delver deck; I ended up going with Explosives, Echoing Truth and the extra Incursion which didn't quite get there. Maybe Night of Soul's Betrayal? Gets all of Delver's creatures while keeping my Crabs alive and is good against the fast+wide strategies that really hurt my deck, though turn 4 seems a little slow. And maybe there's more overlap with Engineered Explosives there than is healthy. Also I'm still super-weak to planeswalkers, which hasn't really come back to bite me but I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Maybe something like
Mainboard: -4 Thought Scour, +1 each Snap, Breaking//Entering, Crypt Incursion, Ghost Quarter
Sideboard: -1 Crypt Incursion, -1 Echoing Truth, +2 Night of Soul's Betrayal
?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2016

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
My LGS has been getting more into legacy recently, so I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Gaea's Cradle after the price settled back down a bit. Elves has always been my favorite tribe so getting to play an insanely powerful version of the deck is great. Now it's a matter of tweaking the sideboard for the local meta. Luckily there's only 1 guy on miracles in the store.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

DarkRider09 posted:

My LGS has been getting more into legacy recently, so I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Gaea's Cradle after the price settled back down a bit. Elves has always been my favorite tribe so getting to play an insanely powerful version of the deck is great. Now it's a matter of tweaking the sideboard for the local meta. Luckily there's only 1 guy on miracles in the store.

Just as an aside, if you are having trouble with miracles Wren's Run Packmaster is a great card for the matchup. Not only does it hide an elf away from terminus, you can flood the board without casting more spells. Also null rod, reclamation sage, and gaddock teeg are your friends from the board.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hahaha what, the Restored Balance deck won the WMCQ at Australia http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13015&f=MO

Also, do you guys think the new Tamiyo will see any kind of Modern Constructed play? Not many Bant decks running around that seems would actually want her in their 60.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Thisuck posted:

Hahaha what, the Restored Balance deck won the WMCQ at Australia http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13015&f=MO

Also, do you guys think the new Tamiyo will see any kind of Modern Constructed play? Not many Bant decks running around that seems would actually want her in their 60.

Interesting, that deck goes with all-in on the Gargadon plan to get rid of its lands rather than using trinkets for mana.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So Miracles lives through the B&R. I really wish WotC did justification paragraphs on "No changes" the same way they do on the bans and unbans.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Skyl3lazer posted:

So Miracles lives through the B&R. I really wish WotC did justification paragraphs on "No changes" the same way they do on the bans and unbans.

Please don't kill Miracles. The issue is bad players / slow toppers, not power level.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Lame. I was hoping for some unbannings in Legacy.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Kraus posted:

Lame. I was hoping for some unbannings in Legacy.

Which ones specifically?

I was hoping they hit Terminus :X

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

empathe posted:

Please don't kill Miracles. The issue is bad players / slow toppers, not power level.

Yep. Just ban Terminus and I'll be happy. And Peregrine Drake.

Also restrict Gush already JFC WotC really? We've had 2 non-blue restrictions because of blue cards warping the format, can we just get rid of blue card that's causing the problem?!

And unban Earthcraft or whatever who cares

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Yep. Just ban Terminus and I'll be happy. And Peregrine Drake.

Also restrict Gush already JFC WotC really? We've had 2 non-blue restrictions because of blue cards warping the format, can we just get rid of blue card that's causing the problem?!

And unban Earthcraft or whatever who cares

Making infinite squirrels isn't lore-friendly

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Making infinite squirrels isn't lore-friendly

My Doreen green edh deck says it wants to kick butts and eat tree nuts.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

empathe posted:

Then they should ban top to discourage slow play :v:

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Thisuck posted:

Which ones specifically?

I was hoping they hit Terminus :X

Earthcraft, Mind Twist, and Goblin Recruiter. Everything else is way too absurd.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kraus posted:

Earthcraft, Mind Twist, and Goblin Recruiter. Everything else is way too absurd.

Recruiter can never be unbanned solely for tournament operation issues.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Recruiter can never be unbanned solely for tournament operation issues.

That's dumb reasoning. Skilled players will sucessfully and swiftly complete their stacks. Bad players will get game losses.

This is how you get to play Goblins again, because Terminus isn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kraus posted:

That's dumb reasoning. Skilled players will sucessfully and swiftly complete their stacks. Bad players will get game losses.

This is how you get to play Goblins again, because Terminus isn't going anywhere.

Judges are supposed to correct incorrect game flow or states, not act as nanny to every single player who's playing a dumb card. gently caress it's hard to get slow play calls already.