Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No wonder this story has twelve climaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

No wonder this story has twelve climaxes.
i liked the ads for legend of the unemployed ninja that had the girls basically making out and then said 'don't worry, they're cousins'

especially since they weren't actually cousins

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not like any of the Steam descriptions are on the level of say, the Fear Effect 2 ads or anything anyway.

A younger me was very disappointed by that game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

i liked the ads for legend of the unemployed ninja that had the girls basically making out and then said 'don't worry, they're cousins'

especially since they weren't actually cousins

Hahaha, I think I know the picture for that from the wallpapers or whatever they put out but I never knew they used it for an ad, that's hilarious.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

1) how does the phrase 'female/female romantic content' make a bad first impression? you can't really call it 'lesbian romance' or anything because some of the characters involved might be bi or whatever

2) the itemised list is insanely useful because you can see exactly what content is in the game at a glance. sexuality isn't some like magic pure thing. it's just two girls macking on each other. this game has two girls macking on each other, click here to buy it. this game has a side character who's a lesbian but no real content about that, click here to buy it. it's good. it isn't even a very specific case, it's a resource for people who want games with ladies making the moves on each other that lists the games that have the chicks going 'mwa mwa' and describes at a glance how that manifests in the game. idk what the problem there would be
I don't think it's harmful or anything. It's just not how I'd have chosen to write it, and I don't find it useful for what I'm interested in. If you do, then great, use it all you want. I won't try to take it away from you.

Midjack posted:

We have a self-described "hardline misandrist" who is "trying to find things that aren't made by and for men." The last time I attempted to assist someone in selecting products with similar criteria they were extremely firm on the point of "nobody from <group I don't like> involved in production of the thing in any capacity" and it is extremely difficult to find a piece of mass media that isn't created by some kind of heterogeneous group.

If FractalSandwich isn't as selective as that and is more concerned about writing and tone than who's actually putting the pieces together then there are more options available that will not compromise that value set.
My standards aren't that harsh, no. When I said I'm a hardline misandrist, it was mainly to be funny.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Midjack posted:

Just about every video game is made by men so you may find your choices severely limited here.

actually the staff of ruby party, the koei-temco division that invented otome games is like 90% women

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jellycat posted:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof and the upcoming Nurse Love Addiction are both very good yuri games! Maybe Flowers will come out sometime this year and actually have a decent English translation.

I've only played one route so far, but I also thought Starlight Vega was pretty cute.
also i liked kindred spirits a lot, can't speak for nurse but a friend of mine in japan didn't like it while simultaneously saying that a lot of her lesbian friends did like it so your mileage may vary i guess.

Davincie posted:

actually the staff of ruby party, the koei-temco division that invented otome games is like 90% women

god bless them

but yeah if you read interviews with the current director she actually talks about it being a very female-friendly culture and how she wants it to be a top destination for any woman in the games industry

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

My standards aren't that harsh, no. When I said I'm a hardline misandrist, it was mainly to be funny.

You will hopefully have an easier time finding what you are looking for!

Davincie posted:

That's excellent; while not adequate to satisfy extremely demanding source requirements it heartens me to know such a place exists.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I want kindred spirits but it's kind of a bit expensive for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

if it's any consolation it has a lot of content to justify that price tag, it isn't 2 hours long like a lot of yuri vns on steam are, but yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My total time to finish everything in Kindred Spirits was well over 20 hours

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's worth every cent, unless you needed that money to pay for rent, utilities or food, I guess.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

if it's any consolation it has a lot of content to justify that price tag, it isn't 2 hours long like a lot of yuri vns on steam are, but yeah.

Yeah I knew that, it's just I only have so much money to throw around.

I should prob get it now while it's on sale.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah I knew that, it's just I only have so much money to throw around.

I should prob get it now while it's on sale.

i have bad news

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Stexils posted:

i have bad news

GOd dammit it's still summer, why must you lie to me, steam?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
We all know summer ends on the 4th of July.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So Steam Umineko's out. Anybody bought it? Any major differences from the WH translation of old?

It actually doesn't unlock for 17 hours for some bizarre reason

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

and it's out for :20bux: and a bit more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna buy the lesbian nurse game instead

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I realise how ridiculous this request is but does anyone know anywhere that has recaps of Umineko arcs? I stopped halfway through arc 7 due to having no time for the monster of a novel. I want to finish it (it has taken years to get to this point) but I'm struggling to remember a lot of plot points.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The wikia, probably. Not sure how good its descriptions are and even with these cliff note versions they're still quite wordy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anyone here read Rewrite? Finishing up Root Double, and since the anime is airing I thought it's probably the best time to start. Should also stop putting off Umineko Chapter 3. Then again, Muv Luv is releasing on steam on the 15th and I've been hankering to re-read it.

...I was also halfway through VLR before my Vita got stolen, so I've got that to finish before getting through the new one. There are lots of visual novels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rewrite was Key's attempt at making a Fate/stay night, with obviously their usual pull at your heartstrings overly melodramatic shtick. So expect lots of supernatural battles, really long routes, and some vaguely similar plot beats with regards to the main character's role in the story/world, and a bunch of girls with traaaaagic stories/backgrounds/circumstances. One thing about it that made it relatively unique was that they got a different writer for every route, though I think a few did multiple rather than just one. For example Ryukishi07 wrote one.

I honestly don't remember how I felt about it, which is probably to say it was ultimately not very memorable. If I recall correctly I found the multiple writer approach to have backfired because they did not mesh together well at all, and in some cases outright contradicted each other. The final/true route was also kind of disappointing, which is an extra big letdown considering how long the game is and how much time/energy/effort it takes to get there.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Yeah the different routes not meshing is definitely the biggest flaw in the game. I don't think the idea of having different writers was necessarily a bad one but it seems like they should have provided some more guidance on a few things, specifically some aspects of the main character's powers.

Despite that I really enjoyed the game overall, probably because I took it very slowly and didn't marathon it. My advice is to wait a few days between reading each arc, if you read them one after another the inconsistencies will jump out at you but spacing it out allows you to enjoy them on their own merits.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Anyone here read Rewrite? Finishing up Root Double, and since the anime is airing I thought it's probably the best time to start. Should also stop putting off Umineko Chapter 3. Then again, Muv Luv is releasing on steam on the 15th and I've been hankering to re-read it.

...I was also halfway through VLR before my Vita got stolen, so I've got that to finish before getting through the new one. There are lots of visual novels.

Rewrite's good. I liked it a lot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna buy the lesbian nurse game instead

Is the lesbian nurse game good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno I never actually got around to buying it.

I can't be trusted is what I'm saying basically

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

VN thread you're my only hope...

After playing a super disappointing otoge which shall not be named I'm looking for games where you just can befriend people instead of dating.

I've Played:
Persona 3/4
Danganronpa 1/2

Systems:
PC/Vita

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You're not going to find much of that in visual novels.

Higurashi is good and friendship is pretty much the central theme. That and the murder. Expect it to be crazy long and completely non-interactive.

And, well, Steins;Gate? There is a romance subplot, but it's still pretty much just a subplot. And for like 95% of the VN, it's basically about friendship. No real dating either way.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

1bitHeart is basically Phoenix Wright crossed with Persona's social links, like 80% of the game is just hanging out with people. Also, it's free.

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club apparently also has a focus on just making friends but idk if it's actually any good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cherry tree is kinda bad. it's a game built around a comedy club with writing by people who worked on the localizations of phoenix wright but there's like no actual jokes in the game. it's all lame puns. not even funny lame puns.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dugong posted:

I realise how ridiculous this request is but does anyone know anywhere that has recaps of Umineko arcs? I stopped halfway through arc 7 due to having no time for the monster of a novel. I want to finish it (it has taken years to get to this point) but I'm struggling to remember a lot of plot points.

Helpfully, IIRC Episode 7 has like a near-full recap of every important event and hint!

edit: Oh Alder, if you're looking for VNs about friendship, Little Busters! is real good. I think one or two paths involve dating, but the majority is POWER OF FRIENDSHIP all the way.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And, well, Steins;Gate? There is a romance subplot, but it's still pretty much just a subplot. And for like 95% of the VN, it's basically about friendship. No real dating either way.

I watched the S;G anime a few years ago and liked it. Does the VN follow the anime closely? I felt like the mysteries were a main component of the series and it'd be less interesting since I know how it works out.

dmboogie posted:

1bitHeart is basically Phoenix Wright crossed with Persona's social links, like 80% of the game is just hanging out with people. Also, it's free.

Thanks, I recall playing the intro level for it I wonder if the dev kept adding more stuff later.

John Lee posted:

edit: Oh Alder, if you're looking for VNs about friendship, Little Busters! is real good. I think one or two paths involve dating, but the majority is POWER OF FRIENDSHIP all the way.

Hmm--is this a bishoujo game? I haven't played one for awhile.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Alder posted:

After playing a super disappointing otoge which shall not be named I'm looking for games where you just can befriend people instead of dating.

Befriending people is rather rare, but Little Busters is just the absolute best for that under the traditional visual novel formula. A lot of the Tokimeki Memorial games also have Best Friend routes if you just hang out with your buddies instead of dating the opposite gender. A lot of VNs have really good befriending throughout the entire common route, but when it gets to the forced romance it can be annoying. G-Senjo no Maou (The Devil on the G String) was probably the best for that, since the choices you make outside of really obvious big turning points are just for flavour and being buddies.

Root Double has a good focus on friends and interaction, but it does have clearly pre-set relationships (No "X's Route", it's one story). However, judging by your list of played games, all these previous suggestions may have been a little too non-interactive.

999 : Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Nine Hours is great and you can emulate it easily on PC. That's primarily about who you choose to buddy with + puzzle rooms. Its sequel, Virtues Last Reward is also really good and available on PS Vita. The latest one, Zero Time Dilemma, is available on pretty much anything. Maybe these will be right up your alley?

E:

Alder posted:

Hmm--is this a bishoujo game? I haven't played one for awhile.

Little Busters is by Key, the makers of Clannad, Kanon and Air. It's similar in structure to those. You play as Highschool Guy and are surrounded by cute girls and the best bros. It's very well done and is my personal favourite of Key's games (though I've only just started Rewrite, which many people claim to be their favourite)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
When was the last time we even got a Tokimeki Memorial game in English?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't think we ever actually have gotten one officially, just fan patches.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

When was the last time we even got a Tokimeki Memorial game in English?

The 3 Girls Side games have fan patches, afaik that's it?

Alder posted:

I watched the S;G anime a few years ago and liked it. Does the VN follow the anime closely? I felt like the mysteries were a main component of the series and it'd be less interesting since I know how it works out.

Thanks, I recall playing the intro level for it I wonder if the dev kept adding more stuff later.

I think the VN is basically the same as the anime, just with some additional early/bad endings.

And yeah, 1bitHeart was an episodic game, but it's been entirely released now.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Little Busters is by Key, the makers of Clannad, Kanon and Air. It's similar in structure to those. You play as Highschool Guy and are surrounded by cute girls and the best bros. It's very well done and is my personal favourite of Key's games (though I've only just started Rewrite, which many people claim to be their favourite)

Little Busters had cute girls in it? Let me try and remember...

Hmm... Nope, none of those comes to mind. You're spot-on about the best bros part, though. The bros were the best. I seem to recall one or two female bros? Good times, anyway.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

Oh come on, it had probably the most cutesy and annoying character in a Key game. One very good female bro though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

John Lee posted:

Hmm... Nope, none of those comes to mind. You're spot-on about the best bros part, though. The bros were the best. I seem to recall one or two female bros? Good times, anyway.

how could you forget Sasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasa Sasami?