Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I love the comment in that. "Ugh, something isn't right with day one of a beta, I'm leaving the game forever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
that's really terrible

but whats worse, is not using dot crosshair :colbert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It not resetting during reload can't be intended and shouldn't make it to live. Otherwise it doesn't seem that bad

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Based on what they do with hots there aren't usually changes between ptr and live

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Oh god, pubbies crying about Ana's sleep dart.

It is stupidly good when a team is coordinated and it needs to be toned down at least a little bit.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Mercy question: Does her damage boost apply at the moment the boosted character shoots, or when the projectile hits? Can I damage boost a Symmetra to increase damage on an orb that's just about to hit an enemy, do I have to boost while she shoots it or do I have to boost from she shoots till the orb hits for the damage increase to count?

How does damage boost apply to things like Widow poison mine, Ikea turret etc?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Mercy's damage boost applies only if you have your boost beam on the shooter when the damage is dealt.

You can boost a Symmetra that has an orb already in-flight, and it'll make the orb do extra damage when it hits.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

At the same time S76 is really really good right now, so experimenting with ways of slightly toning him down without really changing him isn't a bad thing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it seems like its even better to use a macro now, to prevent the lovely bloom from loving you up for 3 seconds

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why does everything needs to be "toned down" when it's perfectly okay?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Can't wait for Ana to constantly get sniped down by Widowmaker's she has to hit three times to kill, while sitting back well away from the point and being about as effective as a very bad Zen

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003
I can't wait to harass someone with time out with Ana's sleep, McCree's flashbang, and Mei's freeze and ice wall.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I saw an ulting Winston get tranq darted earlier today and it was a glorious sight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Can't wait for Ana to constantly get sniped down by Widowmaker's she has to hit three times to kill, while sitting back well away from the point and being about as effective as a very bad Zen

My experience is that Ana is actually better somewhat up close rather than staying back sniping. She can snipe but it feels like her secondary attack rather than her main one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
But can Ana tranq dart omnics?

Blizzard, please respect lore when you balance

ImpAtom posted:

My experience is that Ana is actually better somewhat up close rather than staying back sniping. She can snipe but it feels like her secondary attack rather than her main one.

makes sense, she only has one eye

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dias posted:

Why does everything needs to be "toned down" when it's perfectly okay?

Dev probably got mowed down by a 6 soldier team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, her unscoped gun is so good that scoping feels unnecessary most of the time, her grenade is obviously a lot easier to use when you're closer to the fray, and her lack of mobility means getting to high ground for better sight lines is a pain in the rear end. She seems better suited to playing just a little ways back of the frontline.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Dev probably got mowed down by a 6 soldier team.

Did a 3 soldier comp yesterday, needless to say, we ran train on the other team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you're good at putting most of your bullets on the enemy's head, Soldier shits out pretty impressive damage. It's a bummer that this particularly cool part about him is getting nerfed but he's still going to be fun regardless.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

If you're good at putting most of your bullets on the enemy's head, Soldier shits out pretty impressive damage. It's a bummer that this particularly cool part about him is getting nerfed but he's still going to be fun regardless.

I admit it feels pretty lovely that this is probably happening solely because people are using macros to try and cheese things.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it seems like a macro is more valuable than ever now since you get hosed if you accidentally hold the fire button for too long

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Papercut posted:

Yeah, her unscoped gun is so good that scoping feels unnecessary most of the time, her grenade is obviously a lot easier to use when you're closer to the fray, and her lack of mobility means getting to high ground for better sight lines is a pain in the rear end. She seems better suited to playing just a little ways back of the frontline.

You kind of want to play her like Zenyatta, distance-wise. Waddling around at half speed and trying to snipe is the #1 surefire way for you to get loving dusted, so I've started to only really pull out the scope if I need to get a long range heal off or to take down certain threats like Pharah where hitscan is preferred. The whole sniper angle honestly feels like a bit of a trap at times, and I'd almost prefer it if her right click was just a hitscan bullet with a short cooldown instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it seems like a macro is more valuable than ever now since you get hosed if you accidentally hold the fire button for too long

I mean I'm not really sure how you go about addressing things like this, it's one thing to go "well just ban macro users" but if someone's macro isn't really doing anything more than what you'd expect a really skilled and competent player of doing (and there do seem to be people out there who are That Good) then how do you even tell? And yeah, people are still going to keep using them. Maybe it doesn't matter for 95% of the players out there but it still seems pretty lame.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ana's sleep dart is fine and if you get hit by it you weren't moving around enough and deserved it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Verranicus posted:

Ana's sleep dart is fine and if you get hit by it you weren't moving around enough and deserved it.

basically if you give ana enough time to fire it as that mccree in the reveal video then yeah you deffo deserved it

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Minrad posted:

Nerf Reaper. Bastion and Zenyatta shouldn't drop souls.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

biznatchio posted:

Mercy's damage boost applies only if you have your boost beam on the shooter when the damage is dealt.

You can boost a Symmetra that has an orb already in-flight, and it'll make the orb do extra damage when it hits.

In case anyone was wondering like me, this doesn't mean you can boost Junkrat's tire, but you can boost his trap if you're boosting him when it goes off. At least, according to this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4ltlbu/mercys_damage_boost_works_on_almost_everything_as/

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

demota posted:

Nerf Reaper. Bastion and Zenyatta shouldn't drop souls.

if mercy can heal bastion and zenyatta she should be able to heal torb turrets

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I'm not really sure how you go about addressing things like this, it's one thing to go "well just ban macro users" but if someone's macro isn't really doing anything more than what you'd expect a really skilled and competent player of doing (and there do seem to be people out there who are That Good) then how do you even tell? And yeah, people are still going to keep using them. Maybe it doesn't matter for 95% of the players out there but it still seems pretty lame.

If something in a FPS can be automated perfectly with a generic macro, then it's questionable whether that thing ever involved skill in the first place.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah Ana totally isn't a sniper, she's a rifle user and works best at mid. If she's sat there trying to duke it out with a Widowmaker she's doing it wrong, likewise if she's way at the back shooting her team.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Minrad posted:

She can put a mech (and its pilot) to sleep by shooting it with a dart. So much disrespect for immersion.

Minrad posted:

makes sense, she only has one eye

You know, there's a severe lack of jokes about Ana's depth perception.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I still want more villains. Only four (Reaper, Widowmaker, Roadhog, Junkrat) and two neutral (Bastion, Symmetra) is insufficient.

Sombra was supposed to be our evil support :mad:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^um excuse me, Junkrat is a freedom fighter thank you very much.

Main Paineframe posted:

If something in a FPS can be automated perfectly with a generic macro, then it's questionable whether that thing ever involved skill in the first place.

Well I'm certainly not as good at Soldiering as tiviq or whatever that guy's name is so there certainly does seem to be a skill gap in play, even insofar as things like a sense of timing in the middle of a crazy shootout go.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 13, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Brannock posted:

I still want more villains. Only four (Reaper, Widowmaker, Roadhog, Junkrat) and two neutral (Bastion, Symmetra) is insufficient.

Sombra was supposed to be our evil support :mad:

Doomfist sure sounds like a villain, assuming he ends up being the next character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lucio is a villain as he abides by a neoliberal code of ethics

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Yeah Ana totally isn't a sniper, she's a rifle user and works best at mid. If she's sat there trying to duke it out with a Widowmaker she's doing it wrong, likewise if she's way at the back shooting her team.

Yeah, I've been trying out sitting at midrange and it's considerably better. More opportunities to use Sleep Dart, easier to hit people with lobbed grenades, and you have better access to multiple sightlines so that you can keep people alive. My "best" healing number so far is 7,697 on a 10 minute Hollywood match, so she's definitely competitive as far as healing goes (even with my rather lukewarm play). Her biggest downside is the fact that her only self-healing comes from grenade, meaning you either need to be judicious about claiming small kits or figuring out when to blow grenade on yourself without having to worry about using it on your team.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's also Sombra who is probably going to be a villain. Assuming Sombra is even real and isn't a cow level type deal.

e: Absolutely nobody in Overwatch abides by the Geneva Convention, not even the actual medic, so they're all villains and will get their day in the future Hague

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My only other concern with Ana at this point: how the gently caress is she ever supposed to get PotG?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I though Ana was Sombra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I though Ana was Sombra.

I think it was just some crossing of wires with the assumption that the hero that's been cautiously teased throughout the game in various subtle ways would be the next one they release. Therefore, everyone assumed that the leaked shots of the support sniper would be her.