Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Elmnt80 posted:

The FF is the number 2 ferrari I'd like to own, followed by the testarossa at #3. I have bad taste in cars.

The FF is a seriously amazing piece of kit, and if you were only able to have one car but it has to cost almost $400,000 it's perfect.

The problem is if you want to hear that amazing V12 you have to rev the nuts off it (and open the windows, it's seriously refined inside). Which means you get 6mpg. Now, you're probably thinking "I've just spent 400k on a car, I can afford the gas." And you can, but that's not the problem. The tank is so small you'll be lucky to visit a gas station only every 200 miles. For a car that's meant to cross continents in a day, it needs longer legs.

But the thing I really want to know is what maintenance is going to be like once they've got some decent miles on them. Not one but two transmissions! And of course that massive V12.

When I was driving it I couldn't help imagine what it would be like if it had a 3L V12 and a gently caress-off great hybrid system so it was still 600hp and awd but with socially acceptable fuel consumption. That would be just about the perfect car on the planet, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drgitlin posted:

Can I interest Sir in the FF? Covers ground rather rapidly in rain or snow, and you can do the Costco run in it.

Are we talking about the Jensen Interceptor FF? Because yes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If I was going to buy a dodgy Italian exotic and it had to have four seats, there's no way you could pry me out of a Lamborghini Espada.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

If I was going to buy a dodgy Italian exotic and it had to have four seats, there's no way you could pry me out of a Lamborghini Espada.

A couple of car rag writers are nursing Espadas along read an article a few years ago kind of the poor mans exotic they got em trashed and slowly fixing them up. No I don't remember what article I am drunk

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Octopus Magic posted:

If you squint at it real quick, it looks similar to a Jaguar XJS.

Which is a whole other can of worms.

Yeah but the xjs, while being a worse car, looks better and doesn't cost (as much of a) fortune to own.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Count me in as someone who likes the 400 also. I get that it's a bit poo poo, and not very pretty, but then plenty of Ferrari's aren't pretty and are a bit poo poo, and I think it's one of those cars that looks better in the metal than it does in photos. The proportions are pretty good, it's a nice low-slung interpretation of the classic 3-box style that suits 4-seat coupes, and I dig the blue that just about all of them seem to be.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SCA Enthusiast posted:

doesn't cost (as much of a) fortune to own.
Yeah nah. One of my friends fathers had a XJ-S, kept it garaged and looked after it, and it was a money pit and then some

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Yeah nah. One of my friends fathers had a XJ-S, kept it garaged and looked after it, and it was a money pit and then some

To run one, you have to afford six (because they're cheap to buy).

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

You Am I posted:

My dad has one. It is a money pit, but a cheap money pit. Certainly not Ferrari level.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The masochistic DSM owner in me wants an XJS V12 and put straight pipes on it with a big lopey cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if2j6yqZg0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MhCNKf7CA

Such a great sound.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Got the 348 back from oil change and other oil reservoir work.

11L of AGIP SINT-2000 synthetic: $89
oil filter (which is shared with the 355 and 360): $49
1h labor: $126

They took the non-op oil temp sensor out of the bottom of the reservoir and replaced that, and set up a new ground point for it.
oil thermistor: $130
labor (discounted by already being there for the oil change): $70

Also fixed seals and replaced oil hoses that were causing slow leaks.
2 oil seals: $69
labor and replacement hoses (not sure why these were lumped together): $189

All told, with other misc washers and parts: $763
The oil change by itself woulda been $267. I've not looked into doing it myself. I don't think it's that bad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Eleven litres? Christ.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Did they fix your knocking A/C or is that something you have to get approved for the mortgage to get fixed?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Eleven litres? Christ.

The joys of a dry sump system.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Other notes:
- the service writer said that everyone in the shop loves the exhaust. The guy who pulled it out blipped it 3 or 4 more times in the space of reversing into a spot.
- the oil temp lags behind water temp a lot. I was probably 10min into the drive before the needle came off of 140. It went up to operating temp in only a few more minutes. Wonder if there's any buffering effect in the sensor?
- driving home, some guy saw the car and said "Ferrari!" I have no idea who it was though. Thanks to the Supplemental Nonchalance training that comes with any Ferrari purchase, I didn't turn to look or acknowledge that someone'd noticed the car.
- the shop said the OEM targa top is in the mail, so I'll be back there soon enough to see if it fits. I'm really curious how the car will look with a black vinyl top. Only in the last year did they offer body-colored tops as an option.
- One of the carpet sections on the right door has come loose. Closing the door, you have to hold it up to keep it from hitting the sill and keeping the door from shutting. Not urgent, but there's a FerrariChat thread where a guy goes through taking down the door cards to fix the slow window regulators.

blindjoe posted:

Did they fix your knocking A/C or is that something you have to get approved for the mortgage to get fixed?

They couldn't reproduce the knocking, and I haven't heard it in the 30min of driving since I got it back.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Oil temperature should lag water temp, which is why it's foolish that car makers don't usually include oil temp gauges.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Right, like people are going to pay attention to an addition gauge... ;)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got a really crappy shot of that GT3 RS and a 6.0 Hammer:

Was expecting to get another one when I walked out, but both were gone.

I dunno if I've called this out before, but the plastic parking logs are really smart for this lot. They're not bolted down. So if you tap one, it'll just scoot back.

drgitlin posted:

Oil temperature should lag water temp, which is why it's foolish that car makers don't usually include oil temp gauges.

But by that much? I was surprised that the needle wasn't at least noticeably risen by the time the water was at 195 and setting off the fans.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Got a really crappy shot of that GT3 RS and a 6.0 Hammer:

Was expecting to get another one when I walked out, but both were gone.

I dunno if I've called this out before, but the plastic parking logs are really smart for this lot. They're not bolted down. So if you tap one, it'll just scoot back.

But by that much? I was surprised that the needle wasn't at least noticeably risen by the time the water was at 195 and setting off the fans.

I've seen it take about 10 min before oil temp to be hot enough to start pushing things (in a number of cars, including Corvettes, a Huracan, 650S, and FF). Isn't this the reason older manual F cars need time before you can shift into 2nd?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Isn't this the reason older manual F cars need time before you can shift into 2nd?

I dunno for gear oil -- it'd be heated by motion and passively from the engine block, right? Not surprising that it'd be much slower.
The oil is heated by conduction with the block. Maybe the temp did rise linearly from 80F ambient to 190F, but I only saw the last half of it move the needle, starting from 140.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I'd assume the dry sump plays a part, along with 11 whole liters of oil being a pretty good heat soak.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was on a 3rd date with this girl and offered to give her a ride back. I framed it as choosing between the crappy car and the nice car, and she went for the nice car.
To my amusement, she had no idea or interest in what the 348 was. Questions she asked:
- "how do I open the door?"
- "what year is it?"
- "have you had any work done on it?" Yes, I had an exhaust put on it.
- "but why?" Ummmm, the exhaust sounds really good; you'll see.

We both agreed that only guys care about cars and girls usually don't. She was really neutral about the car, neither hating it nor loving it.
We actually diverted and went shopping for a bit, and she was not surprised or baffled when I popped the frunk to put her stuff in there.

At one point, she said, "it sounds like it can accelerate really fast because the exhaust keeps getting higher and higher," which is honestly the faintest praise I've gotten on the sound.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Doesn't sound like she is The One.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yesterday I watched the roadkill episode where they hired an aventador for a day and put it against the sailor Jerry hotrod, only women were interested in the hotrod, men in the lambo. Wrong choice kimbo.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If it was a Lexus IS-F the shrapnel would have been overwhelming. On the plus side it's definitely obvious she doesn't snort coke. On the negatives she's probably not The One. There will probably be a time later in life she's going to look back and think 'dammit'

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I remember trying to describe to her how my last car got more attention from dudes, but the only thing that seemed to register was that it was red.

Maybe I should double down on the whole exotics thing: http://bringatrailer.com/2016/07/17/crashed-repaired-72k-obo-1990-ferrari-testarossa/

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
This thread has got me wanting to buy a 308 GTS, shave my beard, keep the moustache and wear nothing but white pants, Hawaiian shirts and a baseball cap everywhere.

I always preferred Lamborghinis growing up, too. How have you converted me into a Ferrari coveter?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wombat74 posted:

This thread has got me wanting to buy a 308 GTS, shave my beard, keep the moustache and wear nothing but white pants, Hawaiian shirts and a baseball cap everywhere.

You better get moving fast, I think 308s are rising in price now:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-ferrari-308-us-model/
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/07/19/new-belts-great-colors-55k-1984-ferrari-308-gts-quattrovalvole/

That two-tone is fantastic.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Ormy posted:

Doesn't sound like she is The One.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jalopnik ran the Syclone comparo up the flagpole again:
http://jalopnik.com/in-1991-a-gmc-syclone-could-whoop-a-ferraris-rear end-1784402686

They also linked this for 348 (specifically '91 ts) values:
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1991-Ferrari-348_ts

The difference to a tb model is sobering: https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1991-Ferrari-348_tb

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm somewhat new here and branching out. This thread was a nice read and it was great reading about your ownership experience. Beautiful car. For perspective the 348/355 rank up there with me along with the TR as an "obtainable and desirable" Ferrari. Of course that was a couple years ago when you could pick up a TR for around 75K or so. But I digress.

I visit FC daily and read up on many of the model specific forums along with a few other ones (their aviation chat is great, along with the lambo one.) I enjoy when I see people wrenching on these things. Although there was a cringe worthy thread with a guy who did engine out service on his F355. Vice grips are not a substitute for a flare wrench. Ugh.

As for cost of ownership, hell, it doesn't look bad. I can tell you about German engineering with mine in comparison. Kind of searched and didn't really see a thread for MB.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think FC has distinct subcommunities per model. With the older simpler cars, there's plenty of DIY experience and resources. I haven't been looking at the 599 subforum, but I assume they are more typical Ferrari owners who can and will throw money to maintain their cars.

I've been on the road bicycle touring since 7/30. The major way I think about the 348 is how easily it could climb some of the steep grades we've hit, where I see family sedans dropping into low gears and rasping their way up. I'm gonna try to drive it soon when I get back to run up the battery and get everything lubricated.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

kimbo305 posted:

You better get moving fast, I think 308s are rising in price now:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-ferrari-308-us-model/

:gizz:

I was a teenager in the 1980s so my car dreams were liberally salted with Ferraris like this. I also lusted after Chargers and Barracudas so hey I had a practical side.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Frank Ocean has great taste in cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bm1hcnXSEg
The Nikes video has his E30 M3 and an F1 and more.

e: gently caress, went to drive the 348 and it didn't have enough juice to turn over. Have the battery->inverter->trickle charger on it now.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 22, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As luck would have it, my jump battery kicked the bucket and barely put any charge on the 348's battery. Do modern Yellowtops really deal better with being really low for long periods?

This is a mystery that has been building for a while:

see those dark brown specks on the mirror, hood, fender, A-pillar+targa top, and door? I have no idea what they are, but they seem oily, as in take forever to dry out.
There's two distinct generations of them, so I assume from each drive I do. But what could it be? If it were oil somehow coming out the motor, god forbid, the pattern doesn't make any sense -- I don't see much on the engine lid or in the rear half of the car, though there's specks going pretty far along the door.
Afaict, it's only on this side of the car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd think there would be streaking of some sort if it were oil from running the car. Maybe something environmental from where you park? Someone loving with the car? Fly poop from that fly on the hood?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Seconding environmental. Check around for other drips on the floor by the driver side. Look up, too.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I used to get spots like that when I parked in the garage of the building at work (and when I had the condo in DC). After looking around forever, it was either the attendants pressure washing the floors & walls, or one the exhaust vent fans.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seconding environmental. Check around for other drips on the floor by the driver side. Look up, too.

Yeah, that or jealous / malicious / stupid truck driving by. Could be unlikely since it's in a garage with (I assume) low ceilings, but a truck with a side-pointing exhaust would make that spray pattern with exhaust condensate if revved next to the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The ceiling is pretty clean looking, and the pipes for routing water drains come down to the floor, so I don't think it's drip/spatter from those. It's clearly concentrated on the top, not the front of the mirror, but still scattered on vertical panels.

I know the super has an F-250 that he'll park down here when he's working. The spot next to me is open, so if he's reversing into the spot to get out, I could see the exhaust facing my car.
But the height and uniformity of speck size would require the source to be further away, I'd imagine.

I could put some post-its on those parts of the car while parked to see if they pick up new specks.

• Locked thread