Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Harrison talks in Ett Stort Lidande Har Kommit Över Oss (unless I am misremembering where I read this) that it wasn't always the case: there's some sources where some burgher or peasant talks about "his" quartered soldier who was like a son to him. For all the brutality, the 30YW was in many unlikely ways a war without hate.
oh, i'm not talking about that sort of thing (and i've found some good interactions between soldiers and civilians as well) but about their...guilelessness. You'd think someone should have told the dudes who signed that letter that getting drunk and writing "COME AT US FERDINAND, DO U EVEN LIFT" was a bad idea, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

it's the best epitaph

nobody else was on his level.

he wasn't old though, when he died, just sick as hell. check his life and death dates

edit: i've always wondered if that epitaph was a veiled dig at Ferdinand: it's only the first half of Ecclesiasticus 17:31. The entire thing is "What is brighter than the sun? yet the light thereof faileth; and flesh and blood will imagine evil."

That entire chapter is a good commentary on his death. "For all things cannot be in men, because the son of man is not immortal."

In terms of epitaphs, Sulla was definitely on his level

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I mean when you're in a hypermasculine group as a professional soldier at war for ages, it probably seems reasonable.

Being drunk as gently caress all the time probably had something to do with it. It seems like these guys are legitimately never sober.

Now I want to see a remake of trailer park boys, but with Ricky and Julian as 30YW mercenaries.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In terms of epitaphs, Sulla was definitely on his level

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full”
that epitaph is boss, thank you

oh, here's a good one: when The Great Conde beat the Imperialist general Mercy at the second battle of Noerdlingen, in which Mercy was killed, Conde had a pillar erected on the spot where Mercy died that said "Stop traveler, here is a hero's dust." That was classy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Mercy

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 13, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Yesterday: The Italians, masters of the proportionate response, attempt to blow up a mountain, with predictable results. The last German push for Fort Souville and Fort Tavannes fails; Evelyn Southwell has heard the news; and I come in off the long run to diagnose why the Battle of the Somme has been drifting aimlessly for the last ten days. (Unhappily, it's not as cathartic as I hoped it was going to be.)

Today: German attacks at Verdun are now suspended until further notice; the Somme has achieved something. (By all means, make the argument that what it achieved wasn't worth achieving, or worth the cost...) Someone plans a diversionary attack at Fromelles; an artillery spotter gives us a snapshot of Trones Wood right now (spoilers, it's poo poo); and the BEF has just discovered that the German army has been listening to all their field-telephone conversations for months, at the very least. Great news in the light of that attack on Bazentin Ridge that's coming up tomorrow, huh? Still, the Germans are busy completely reorganising themselves, so who knows? The obstacles between the Russians and Erzincan continue falling like ninepins; E.S. Thompson tries to keep morale up; Maximilian Mugge brings us "a day in the life of a crock"; and Louis Barthas meets some Russians (that is not a misprint).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Yesterday: The Italians, masters of the proportionate response, attempt to blow up a mountain, with predictable results. The last German push for Fort Souville and Fort Tavannes fails; Evelyn Southwell has heard the news; and I come in off the long run to diagnose why the Battle of the Somme has been drifting aimlessly for the last ten days. (Unhappily, it's not as cathartic as I hoped it was going to be.)

Today: German attacks at Verdun are now suspended until further notice; the Somme has achieved something. (By all means, make the argument that what it achieved wasn't worth achieving, or worth the cost...) Someone plans a diversionary attack at Fromelles; an artillery spotter gives us a snapshot of Trones Wood right now (spoilers, it's poo poo); and the BEF has just discovered that the German army has been listening to all their field-telephone conversations for months, at the very least. Great news in the light of that attack on Bazentin Ridge that's coming up tomorrow, huh? Still, the Germans are busy completely reorganising themselves, so who knows? The obstacles between the Russians and Erzincan continue falling like ninepins; E.S. Thompson tries to keep morale up; Maximilian Mugge brings us "a day in the life of a crock"; and Louis Barthas meets some Russians (that is not a misprint).

About 2/3rds of the first post is in italics, just so you know...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aphid_licker posted:

Isn't the Chinese military about as powerful relatively to everyone around it as it was during the cold war, pretty large, and modernizing rapidly?

Yeah, I think it's a bit much to argue that the Chinese military is poo poo. You will read all sorts of stuff about how entire divisions are police-grade make-work units where soldiers shoot their guns twice in their careers, but they also have a core of very competent people with equipment that isn't poo poo.

They also have a lot of capabilities re: land based anti-shipping missiles that cause a lot of people headaches.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And they are one of the new armies taking the whole electronic warfare threat seriously.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Post cold-war question: Why does Russia still have a decent military while China does not?

Why on earth do you think the Chinese don't have a "decent military"? Considering their national priorities and strategies the force they've built over the last couple decades is absolutely superb.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

And they are one of the new armies taking the whole electronic warfare threat seriously.

"Cyberwarfare" too, however you want to parse that CNN-headline buzzword.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

"Cyberwarfare" too, however you want to parse that CNN-headline buzzword.

I am so glad my country will be spending the next decade trying to unfuck itself and be way too busy for any military adventures as from what I can tell with the UK nobody in the government seems to know or care enough about that sort of threat.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Antti posted:

Is this some archaic or regional thing? I have never heard such a saying.

Mikkeli region, used by a few friends from thereabouts.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am so glad my country will be spending the next decade trying to unfuck itself and be way too busy for any military adventures as from what I can tell with the UK nobody in the government seems to know or care enough about that sort of threat.

Right now the military in no way allows people to backstab the people ahead of them in their own party so I think that's a safe assumption

e: you will be getting ASW aircraft again, I've heard. The UK got rid of all of its ASW aircraft in 2010, and has been relying on the French and Canada to do its ASW work since then

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

There's a very real chance that there will be two separate armed forces on your island in near future!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

oh, i'm not talking about that sort of thing (and i've found some good interactions between soldiers and civilians as well) but about their...guilelessness. You'd think someone should have told the dudes who signed that letter that getting drunk and writing "COME AT US FERDINAND, DO U EVEN LIFT" was a bad idea, but...

I volunteer with people who were given suspended sentences and during a trial the buddy of one of my dudes was asked by the court if he still intended to kill the cop who arrested him, as he had said during the arrest. Court trial, some decent prison time on the table, everyone is sober and sitting down dressed in their finest, no social group egging the guy on, the cop is sitting right fuckin there, the judge is visibly incredulous/pissed, and still that dude had to put some 30 agonizing seconds of concentrated thought into whether or not he wanted to enter his intention to kill a police officer into the trial transcript. His defender's facial expression was hilarious. In the end he went with "no". I think it's not guileless exactly but a sort of psychological and social dynamic that ends in an inability to back down.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lollllll

aphid_licker posted:

I think it's not guileless exactly but a sort of psychological and social dynamic that ends in an inability to back down.
Yeah, like...as long as these dudes have been alive their society has been teaching them irrefutable truths of how to live, like: "if someone crosses you, gently caress them up," "backing down makes you look like a pussy," and "silk ribbons and lace on men is legit." sometimes this leads to problems

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah it's a bitch when Johann and Henricus get to the sacking before you do and hog all the boss silks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ataxerxes posted:

Mikkeli region, used by a few frieds from thereabouts.

I heard that the government of Finland was paying young couples like 10k euro to move to Mikkeli and have a kid. Is this true or was I just super hosed up at Midsummer and had some Finns loving with me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SeanBeansShako posted:

Instead we are going to get Trident 2: Nuclear Boogaloo and Theresa May writing BURN THEM ALL BURN THEM ALL BURN THEM ALL as her Letters of Last Resort

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I heard that the government of Finland was paying young couples like 10k euro to move to Mikkeli and have a kid. Is this true or was I just super hosed up at Midsummer and had some Finns loving with me.

they were hitting on you

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

lollllll

Yeah, like...as long as these dudes have been alive their society has been teaching them irrefutable truths of how to live, like: "if someone crosses you, gently caress them up," "backing down makes you look like a pussy," and "silk ribbons and lace on men is legit." sometimes this leads to problems

HEYGAL, this is your pitch to publishers/HBO

"The thirty years war is totally street and Thug Life! Imagine Samurai Champloo except with pikes and cultural references white people will get. I got L'tl John to go "YEAAAHHHHHH" and "KINGS OF CRUNK" over some period Italian music as our theme song."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Instead we are going to get Trident 2: Nuclear Boogaloo and Theresa May writing BURN THEM ALL BURN THEM ALL BURN THEM ALL as her Letters of Last Resort

I don't want to think about what the gently caress will happen with the whole Trident system, it'll give me some sort of stress brain tumour.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

"The thirty years war is totally street and Thug Life! Imagine Samurai Champloo except with pikes and cultural references white people will get. I got L'tl John to go "YEAAAHHHHHH" and "KINGS OF CRUNK" over some period Italian music as our theme song."

I want to see a pike square doing some sweet funky drumline poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this sarcastic?

Cause I would watch the gently caress out of that show.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. If Marco Poli can pull off Mongol politics and insane kung fu at the same time against the backdrop of throat chanting then 30YW drum line would work just fine.

Wanna see a dude twirl that flag.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is this sarcastic?

Cause I would watch the gently caress out of that show.

Absolutely not. Having hip hop culture contextualized in the 30 years war makes so much sense. Hell, Hamilton already did it...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. If Marco Poli can pull off Mongol politics and insane kung fu at the same time against the backdrop of throat chanting then 30YW drum line would work just fine.

Wanna see a dude twirl that flag.
i think it was the flag twirling that first shocked me into thinking about how these guys were not like how you think they are when you read peter wilson or something

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I think it's a bit much to argue that the Chinese military is poo poo. You will read all sorts of stuff about how entire divisions are police-grade make-work units where soldiers shoot their guns twice in their careers, but they also have a core of very competent people with equipment that isn't poo poo.

They also have a lot of capabilities re: land based anti-shipping missiles that cause a lot of people headaches.

Yeah I read some Dolan/Breecher articles about how China's anti ship missiles can gently caress up any carrier at a fairly decent range and it's why they are investing on those instead of a carrier fleet of their own. (That and them only wanting to project on the southeast seas instead of spreading all over the world like the US)

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

i think it was the flag twirling that first shocked me into thinking about how these guys were not like how you think they are when you read peter wilson or something

Wait, are you joking or not? Because if not, I need to know about 30YW flag twirling ASAP.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

Wait, are you joking or not? Because if not, I need to know about 30YW flag twirling ASAP.
Dead serious, my friend. A 17th century company flag is this massive piece of thin silk mounted on a staff that the fendrich holds on his shoulder with one hand. On special occasions, especially in areas where the ground is paved, like in city squares or the courtyards of castles, they have a thing where they twirl it. It's called flourishing the flag, displaying the flag, or flag exercises.

The next time you imagine a 30yw battle, imagine that.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 13, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah I read some Dolan/Breecher articles about how China's anti ship missiles can gently caress up any carrier at a fairly decent range and it's why they are investing on those instead of a carrier fleet of their own. (That and them only wanting to project on the southeast seas instead of spreading all over the world like the US)

There's plenty of question marks as to whether those missiles actually work as well as claimed. But the US isn't going to take unnecessary risks with a carrier, so they should serve China's "stay away" deterrence purposes just fine.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

Dead serious, my friend. A 17th century company flag is this massive piece of thin silk mounted on a short staff that the fendrich holds on his shoulder with one hand. On special occasions, especially in areas where the ground is paved, like in city squares or the courtyards of castles, they have a thing where they twirl it. It's called flourishing the flag, displaying the flag, or flag exercises.

Hahaha, that's excellent. When did banners get so drat huge? I don't think I've ever read about a medieval banner quite so big.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

Hahaha, that's excellent. When did banners get so drat huge? I don't think I've ever read about a medieval banner quite so big.
possibly when pikes got big, since you have to be able to see them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Grandes_Mis%C3%A8res_de_la_guerre

There should have been a scene in Alatriste before the big battle at the end starts where their flag bearers walk out in front of the escuadrons and flip those things around their bodies while a bunch of dudes whale on their giant drums as hard as they can

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 13, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

possibly when pikes got big, since you have to be able to see them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Grandes_Mis%C3%A8res_de_la_guerre

I figure the increasingly smoky battlefields may have contributed?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

I figure the increasingly smoky battlefields may have contributed?
They don't remain that big though, they get smaller later on and nobody does flag twirling in, say, the 1700s

that could be a cultural difference though, like I can't really see Frederick the Great's dudes being into that

however, in the 18th and 19th centuries you do hang ribbons from them, that's good

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 13, 2016

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
I have the sudden mental image of Mad Max: Thirty Years War Edition, where you have the guitar guy on the drummer truck, but instead it's a flag twirling guy on a wagon full of drummers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

I have the sudden mental image of Mad Max: Thirty Years War Edition, where you have the guitar guy on the drummer truck, but instead it's a flag twirling guy on a wagon full of drummers.
the drums, of course, are extremely large

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

Any suggestions on American Revolutionary War books about more of the war itself? I already know the political background and aftermath. I am more interested in the military campaigns of the Continental Army/United States military as an infancy.

I read The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 recently and thought it was an pretty excellent overview of the military campaign. However, it also contains detailed reasons why it happened and the politics surrounding it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HEY GAL posted:

the drums, of course, are extremely large

and it's bristling with pikes

and it has a hedgehog head on the front

I'll start the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I have just finished reading the entirety of this thread. (Every page if not the all of every post) I think I started sometime in late 2014. Holy poo poo, this is an amazing thread. Trin your ww1 day by day has been marvelous and moving.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I would subscribe to HBO to watch Hey Gal's Regiment: Defenestrations and Flag Demonstrations

• Locked thread