Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hello friends come play this game by clicking the image below thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lorini posted:

With All Aboard Games taking up the 18xx slack, I can get 18xx games fairly quickly now (there might be another alternative as well, I can't remember).

Trynant posted:

EDIT: And to clarify, Lorini, I'm totally in your boat, and yeah 18XX's stock market tile-laying is very unique to them. And now to look at All Aboard Games....

The other place doing express Deep Thought 18xx production is Golden Spike games.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

zandert33 posted:

I'd like to know if there's a reason you feel this one. Orleans is one of my favorite games released last year, and I've played it several times with different groups and it worked in all those settings.

It's mostly because for how many pieces and systems are present in the game, it's really just another multiplayer solitaire game with little to no real conflict. Everyone feels great playing it though because it's fun to fill up a bag and upgrade your personal board with stuff. Plus, technology cogs and certain buildings seem to be overvalued by a lot of people (which may or may not be true) which leads to groupthink play. Oh, and the random events are a lovely afterthought.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

It's mostly because for how many pieces and systems are present in the game, it's really just another multiplayer solitaire game with little to no real conflict. Everyone feels great playing it though because it's fun to fill up a bag and upgrade your personal board with stuff. Plus, technology cogs and certain buildings seem to be overvalued by a lot of people (which may or may not be true) which leads to groupthink play. Oh, and the random events are a lovely afterthought.

Competition over the tracks for various population markers and the city center tokens provide a decent amount of conflict, at least in a 4 player game. I don't think it is quite as compelling as a 2 player game, though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dear creative designers,

We need a board game that will serve as engagement tool towards our employees as we prepare our move to a new building.
The concept of the game, how it is played, etc., was already created (see attached)….we just need the board game itself designed.
The principle is based on the basic Goose game (or ladder & snakes), to which we added cards with questions and challenges. It will help our employees in getting to know the new building and its facilities and learning how to best use the newly designed offices that will host them.

We would like to see design for the board itself as well as for the cards. The result should be inspiring and energizing for our employees, and reflect a collaborative and innovative workspace.

It should however be careful not to overpromise something that will not be the reality when moving (e.g. in terms of space design or furniture etc). We would also appreciate a proposal for a name for this game. I welcome your thoughts!

The Game Board
This game is designed in such a way that it replicates a walk through the building and its respective floors. The shape of the track is inspired by the U-shape of the building (see plans and photos in appendix). It is a hard point for us that players recognize the characteristic shape of the building on the game board. Details of the design and look can vary on designer’s proposal.

The building has been renovated over the past months and will provide new and diverse work environments. References to furniture selection in the building (e.g. desks and chairs) are provided in appendix as reference elements. It is important to not overpromise by the game design, something that will not be the reality when moving (e.g. in terms of space design or furniture etc).

We would like to see design for the board itself as well as for the cards.
Must Have:
- Board & cards. Must reflect the building. Must be energizing and fun. Must reflect a collaborative, open and productive work environment.

Nice to Have:
- Name for the game, identity visual for the game (could be used in advertising campaign for people to play)

Should Not Have:
- Misleading elements that could be misunderstood as a promise that people will not have when moving to the new building

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 13, 2016

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

I'll concede the random events... too often they end up amounting to nothing, and other times they are just too frustrating when the same thing keeps happening. While there's little direct conflict (aside from trying to get resources before others deplete them), I do feel that other people focusing on certain methods to get points can alter the way I play the game to make me either focus there too (so they don't monopolize it) or turn my attention elsewhere.

I don't get into the groupthink nonsense with any games I play, as I never read about play optimization and neither do many I play with on a regular basis. I played a match against somebody once who put the majority of his focus on scholars and using the cogs, the second time he tried it he couldn't get the machine going efficiently and lost to somebody focusing on using knights to travel the routes. I don't think there is a clear winning play method, so if 3 other people want to fight over cogs I'll do something else that has more opportunity.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I was under distinct impression Bloose never stopped posting here, but somewhere along the way he devoured Bottom Liner and took to wearing his skin and username.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I don't know why, but that's totally what I thought had happened.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lichtenstein posted:

I was under distinct impression Bloose never stopped posting here, but somewhere along the way he devoured Bottom Liner and took to wearing his skin and username.

:ninja:

Maybe I never returned from his house after demoing Final Attack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate to link to anything Tom Vasel, but there's been a draught of info on Via Nebula. The game looks great, but Jesus Christ Tom Vasel is a completely useless reviewer. And what the gently caress is "exploition"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRwyMLRSxg

I restrict my interaction with Tom Vasel to occasional contributions to his charity auctions, but in Via Nebula opening up resource stockpiles is called exploitation.

Orleans: events do have an effect. Famine pushes players to not totally ignore goods, Taxation punishes people for ignoring everything else (especially when it comes out late). Plague pushes people to not ignore Beneficial Deeds (the more non-basics you cull that way, the less likely Plague will affect you), while Pilgrimage is a brake for the Monk spam strategy. The last two events increase the value of development and expansion, each of which makes the other more valuable. In the course of a game the events will affect your score by 12-15 points, with people who fail to plan around them losing out. Ultimately it's a way to ensure that no specific "best strategy" will emerge; goods spam is strong if the Taxes come early, development is strong if the Census comes late.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Possible game title: lovely Chairs & Tiny Cubicles

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate to link to anything Tom Vasel, but there's been a draught of info on Via Nebula. The game looks great, but Jesus Christ Tom Vasel is a completely useless reviewer. And what the gently caress is "exploition"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRwyMLRSxg

It does seem odd how little attention Via Nebula is getting, especially for a Wallace game. The BGG forums are almost devoid of content (admittedly I haven't seen any of the video stuff). I realise it's just come out but it still seems unusual. Perhaps it is viewed as very light weight / a family game? I have it but haven't tried it yet, so unsure how much depth it actually has. Signs look promising though that it's both accessible and somewhat thinky. The rules are extremely streamlined and almost feel like a Tigris and Euphrates level of detail (or less, like other abstracts) - I'm hoping it has some emergent complexity. Can't wait to try it but I'll be disappointed if it's too light. I generally play heavier euros for preference and love games like Brass, kind of hoping this captures the best bits but is more accessible and plays more quickly without sacrificing too much depth and tension.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

It does seem odd how little attention Via Nebula is getting, especially for a Wallace game. The BGG forums are almost devoid of content (admittedly I haven't seen any of the video stuff). I realise it's just come out but it still seems unusual. Perhaps it is viewed as very light weight / a family game? I have it but haven't tried it yet, so unsure how much depth it actually has. Signs look promising though that it's both accessible and somewhat thinky. The rules are extremely streamlined and almost feel like a Tigris and Euphrates level of detail (or less, like other abstracts) - I'm hoping it has some emergent complexity. Can't wait to try it but I'll be disappointed if it's too light. I generally play heavier euros for preference and love games like Brass, kind of hoping this captures the best bits but is more accessible and plays more quickly without sacrificing too much depth and tension.

I've played it four times in the last ten days, and while I want to put it away for a bit now I don't feel like I've fully explored it yet. And even if I have, I'm still having a good time with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

This makes a surprising amount of sense, although Bloose is still posting in the fighting game threads

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm going to play Eclipse tomorrow with a bunch of people who play semi-regularly. I've only played once before, and all these guys have played a few times. Anyone know a decent strategy I can follow/competitive tips so I don't get steam rolled.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I'm going to play Eclipse tomorrow with a bunch of people who play semi-regularly. I've only played once before, and all these guys have played a few times. Anyone know a decent strategy I can follow/competitive tips so I don't get steam rolled.

Improved Hull and the extra action disc one are the best early game techs. You probably mostly want to expand on sector 3 at the beginning since those tiles are limited. If you flip some of the planets that have a discovery but no resources early the best thing to do is to claim the tile and then go bankrupt intentionally so you can pick the disc back up. If you're not playing the expansion missiles are absurd.

My personal favorite strategy is to pick the race with cheap ships and spam neutron bomb interceptors but depending on how cutthroat your friends are you may get stabbed irl

Can someone please post that gimme some cubes lmao pic

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Via Nebula is not released in the US and won't be until August. I got mine from philibertnet.com for basically the same price I would get it from a non-$100 CoolStuff order. The MSRP for the US edition will be $60, while the EU price is 40 euros plus 20 euros for shipping. Since the euro is nearly equal to the dollar (thanks Brexit!) and Asmodee online discount is only 15%, the math worked out.

Most games that are first released in Europe just don't get any traction on BGG until the US release. I played five times in four days with all player counts myself. I'm not as crazy about it as Jedit is, but it's a nice somewhat brain burnery game that will fit nicely into a one hour slot.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Megasabin posted:

1. Expand/Explore into bankruptcy on turn 1, and probably turn 2 as well. This is to let you get more poo poo done, grab some discovery tiles from empty space, then get the influence disks back without wasting an action.
2. Plasma missiles are scary and gameplay will warp around them. If you get them, refigure your navy into missile boats. If somebody else gets them then prioritize advanced hulls, and make your fleets tough to alpha strike at the expense of offences. You probably will lose more boats than you sink, but you'll make it a tough conquest which will probably make the plasma missiler seek softer prey.
3. In general- computers are the most important combat upgrade, you would generally rather hit on 2+ for 1 damage than on 3+ for 2. When upgrading, you can remove tiles without it counting as one of your upgrades.
4. If you aren't planning on being a warmonger work on a "Fleet In Being" approach. Keep a spare production reserve in order to quickly build a fleet upon being attacked.
5. You want to be pushing inwards fairly early. The ring 1 tiles are much more efficient than ring 3, and alien ships are squishier than you might expect. This is slightly dependent on race, as some races have better ships for early pushing than others.
6. The center planet should be controlled by Turn 4, or people aren't playing very aggressively.
7. Diplomat exchanges are good. They can boost your economy a lot, early. The traitor card is only a few points, so they aren't a long term safeguard. Don't put too much faith in them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
You both mention expanding into bankruptcy. Can you expand on that concept more?

Also please tell me about this neutrino bomb strategy. It sounds hilarious

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lorini posted:

Via Nebula is not released in the US and won't be until August. I got mine from philibertnet.com for basically the same price I would get it from a non-$100 CoolStuff order. The MSRP for the US edition will be $60, while the EU price is 40 euros plus 20 euros for shipping. Since the euro is nearly equal to the dollar (thanks Brexit!) and Asmodee online discount is only 15%, the math worked out.

Most games that are first released in Europe just don't get any traction on BGG until the US release. I played five times in four days with all player counts myself. I'm not as crazy about it as Jedit is, but it's a nice somewhat brain burnery game that will fit nicely into a one hour slot.

BoardGameBliss has it for pre-order right now for $60 Canadian if any is interested based on all the talk about it. Looks like I'll have something in August to add to a building PO...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

You both mention expanding into bankruptcy. Can you expand on that concept more?

Money is your limit for actions. The more actions you take the more money you're paying out at the end of the turn. At the beginning of the game when you have a nice surplus you want to spend it all to get an early lay of the land as it were.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Bankruptcy is triggered when after production you still do not have the money to pay for actions. If bankruptcy is triggered action discs are removed from controlled sectors and placed back on the track until the cost is sufficiently low to be paid for.

A lot of III tiles will have no money planets, or no planets at all. It is worth it to grab those tiles for the discovery bonus, trigger bankruptcy and then grab back the influence disc that was used to control the sector. Indeed, not doing that will probably mean that you have to spend an influence action later on.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Lorini posted:

Thanks Lorini, that makes a lot of sense. I'm in a bit of a weird situation in that I'm staying with friends for a couple of weeks that are as mad about boardgames as we are, but due to small children we can't really play the 2-3 hour ones we probably all prefer. Plus I need to buy stuff to gift them to play, so I was trying to think of good games around an hour or less that will stand up to a lot of plays over this fortnight. Hoping this fits the bill, plus maybe something else for variety.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re: Orleans it's weird to hear someone say it's multiplayer solitaire because to me it is totally a game where you need to play your opponents more than you play "the game". It's one of those games that is a zillion communal progress tracks and whoever fills them most efficiently wins. Or rather, whoever fills them most efficiently while dodging or undercutting or out-performing whatever they correctly perceive their opponents to be aiming for, will win.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also I just can't see past Via Nebula not actually being a space game :mad: I need more time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also I just can't see past Via Nebula not actually being a space game :mad: I need more time.

Same. It's kind of frustrating because my ears perk up at the name but it's some kind of fantasy themed game?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mister Sinewave posted:

If you give your game a Latin name, that's one less thing to localize.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Trynant posted:

Nah, you know what. gently caress these niche, expensive, mosty out of print games. Just go, like, buy Keyflower and/or Agricola for tile-laying worker placement. Hell, Ora & Labora is fantastic and even gives you the lackluster component design experience :v:

But I mean, I hope everyone's taking all this stuff I'm saying with the addendum that "these are the games I'm buying after a lot of easier-to-get classics; this is deep down the loving rabbit hole." Like, I'd recommend Power Grid before diving into an 18XX that will take a year to get shipped to you if you get my drift.

Listening to our show isn't helping, I imagine, but I'd like to think that we take the time to highlight some special, albeit, more obscure games. Everyone and their mother can learn about the Top 200 games...we like to color outside the lines a bit ;)

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Gimnbo posted:

Should I be backing the Yokohama Kickstarter?

I won't link to it, but we just released a fair assessment of the game (imo) in our latest episode, to help folks like you decide. (Heavy Cardboard, Episode 50...it's time stamped).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's literally Latin for "Mist Way".

Re: Eclipse - my advice is to do your own thing, play to the strengths of your race if you're not human, never pick the loving Eridani because they're an advanced race, and don't worry about winning.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

It's literally Latin for "Mist Way".

It's literally English for "Via Nebula".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's literally English for "Via Nebula".

Yes but it is named that because it's a game all about revealing things in the fog, hence the Latin name for the term.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

SirFelixCat posted:

Listening to our show isn't helping, I imagine, but I'd like to think that we take the time to highlight some special, albeit, more obscure games. Everyone and their mother can learn about the Top 200 games...we like to color outside the lines a bit ;)

Nah, I'm completely in the boat for exploring outside the top games. I just don't expect too much of the thread to appreciate brutal economic games as much as a few of us do :)

And yes, your podcast accounts for a lot of recent purchases. Thanks for the heads up on 1844/54 at gamesurplus, you monsters.

EDIT: Side note, why on earth am I defending basically being against my own tastes in gaming again? Play more 18XX's you non-believers.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 13, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes but it is named that because it's a game all about revealing things in the fog, hence the Latin name for the term.

Well, yes, but 'via' and 'nebula' are both english words. That's the issue here. Yes, they were once latin and it does mean 'by way of the mist', but nowadays 'nebula' pretty much refers to space clouds. Granted you'd have to be inordinately inattentive to pick this game up expecting a space title and not notice that it's definitely not, but still. Weird name.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bottom Liner posted:

And I'm sure that's an excellent way to make your game's premise clear to any modern-day board game enthusiasts whose native language is Latin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Well, yes, but 'via' and 'nebula' are both english words. That's the issue here.

Good point. I don't think it's a great name either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And I'm sure that's an excellent way to make your game's premise clear to any modern-day board game enthusiasts whose native language is Latin.

LUDORUM BABYLONES EUNT DOMUS

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
People called Babylonians of the games they go the house?

I only got the "eunt domus" part, rest is mostly extrapolating from the sketch. My Latin is bad :(

VVVVVVV
:smug:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 13, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
/\/\/\/\/\ :argh:

Jedit posted:

LUDORUM BABYLONES EUNT DOMUS

Of the games the Babylons, they go the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This whole argument seems a little disingenuous. I've been reading "Via Nebula" in this thread the last week and I assumed it was a space game.

I'm a linguist.