Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Some light schadenfreude. Lightenfreude.

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/752853487197782016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

Electrical tape*

Duct tape would work as well. Any tape would work really, it's tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

This is from many pages ago, but I would like to bring it back up. This is an amazing video. The budget katana enthusiasm, the voice, each member of the family contributing and enabling, and the snotty brother just makes it perfect.

This video is my equivalent of a Christmas special; it makes me thankful for my own hosed up kin because we are nowhere near this level.

e: The smug look at the very beginning, how could I forget!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god, that emote thing, help me

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SinineSiil posted:

Oh wow! It almost feels like a parody. What was he thinking?

The term "sticky bidon" refers to when you're taking a water bottle from your support car and the guy handing it to you holds on to it for a few seconds giving you a little tow. They're not usually that blatant.

The rider in the picture a) is a oval office and b) had already exhausted all of his team mates to try to pace him back into the running on that stage after a crash had delayed him. He was thrown out of that event after the race stewards saw that video, which was the second time that day he had cheated, the first time he was riding directly behind one of the support cars, using its draft to speed him up. If that was all he had done he probably would have been fine. The video cuts off before you see it, but the group he was in was more than half a minute behind the leaders, and the support car drove him far enough that he caught them.

The funniest part is that even after all that cheating to catch up to the leader group, they lost him in the latter parts of the stage and he finished 31st that day.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rebel Blob posted:

You don't have to worry, it isn't real. It's from the indescribably awful National Lampoon movie Lost Reality. The guy can throw up on command, he does it at every performance of his thrash metal band.

Shadenfreude is on me for wasting part of my life on researching that.

Ah yes, Mr. Lance "I Didn't Puke on That Woman's Newborn Because My Manager Said I'd Get Sued if the Baby Died" Ozanix

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Dienes posted:

All ruminents secretly crave flesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

One of my all-time favorite news stories, which I've posted about in the past, involved a farmer and some missing chickens. The guy thought a fox was getting onto his property, because chickens kept disappearing, but he could never catch it in the act. The farmer staked out his chickens one night, and saw one of his cows wander over and snarf down an entire chicken. I feel bad(ish) for the chicken, but the image of a cow leaning down and chomping on a chicken cracks me up.

Edit:

BiggerBoat posted:

Still no reason to gently caress with it. Also, THREE?

Without even looking it up: coral snake, rattlesnake, cottonmouth, water moccasin and copperhead

Two of these are the same snake. That still leaves four, though, so your point is intact.

Edit II; Someone already pointed out the duplicate snake.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Jul 13, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Centripetal Horse posted:

One of my all-time favorite news stories, which I've posted about in the past, involved a farmer and some missing chickens. The guy thought a fox was getting onto his property, because chickens kept disappearing, but he could never catch it in the act. The farmer staked out his chickens one night, and saw one of his cows wander over and snarf down an entire chicken. I feel bad(ish) for the chicken, but the image of a cow leaning down and chomping on a chicken cracks me up.

I love that this apparently catches instinct itself off guard too, since the chickens clearly aren't expecting it. Chickens are pretty dumb, but I'm pretty sure if it were a fox they'd be flipping out.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Data Graham posted:

I love that this apparently catches instinct itself off guard too, since the chickens clearly aren't expecting it. Chickens are pretty dumb, but I'm pretty sure if it were a fox they'd be flipping out.
Related: Pigeons have not yet adapted to catfish hunting them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwlJO789k-A

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Guy gets catfished, comes up with brilliant plan to spy for Russia to fund his fake girlfriend, and it ends even dumber than you expect.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Data Graham posted:

Domesticated turkeys are dumber. Had a flock of young ones wander over and stick their heads through the slats of a pig pen to get at the pig's slop. Pig just kept biting their heads off. The others didn't even care or notice. He bit off 4 heads before we could run over and chase off the rest of the turkeys. I have so many stories about how stupid turkeys are. Free ranging turkeys is a bad idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

Hoover Dam posted:

Guy gets catfished, comes up with brilliant plan to spy for Russia to fund his fake girlfriend, and it ends even dumber than you expect.

I'm very impressed that these two posts are next to each other.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Well, Catfish Hunter did play for the Yankees

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Be careful man. Laughing at farm animals eating things actually has a mortality rate! Laugh at your own risk people.

SSDDR
Aug 3, 2004

I don't know if I can handle this, y'know?
Grimey Drawer
Found the original story, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arty-party.html

Best part, she took a picture of it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

SSDDR posted:

Found the original story, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arty-party.html

Best part, she took a picture of it.

I don't think she took a photo of it. I think a local paper sent a photog and a reporter to have her recreate her moment of stupidity.

"Okay, now hold up the letters for your kid.. perfect"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm sort of interested in knowing the exact line of thinking that lead to "tappy ratry" specficically. Tappy I understand, but surely you would've figured something was wrong before even coming up with ratry. Maybe this lady just wanted to get on the news somehow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpacePig posted:

Maybe this lady just wanted to get on the news somehow.

Judging by how readily she allowed a newspaper photographer into her house to take a whole bunch of photos of her acting like a ditz I'm guessing her initial FB post was a joke and she just ran with it, then the supermarket replied and she just ran with that as well, then the media caught wind and she went "Well, I've pushed the joke this far, why not?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love English news articles. They always have the best photos of everyone. My favorite was a mother holding a wet rag to her kids head because he had to go to school in a long sleeve uniform during a heat wave. Her face wracked with worry, his with apprehension. It was like 80 degrees out.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Weather that hot can actually be fatal to people whose bodies aren't accustomed to it. And apparently it's a pretty high temperature for Britain.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm very impressed that these two posts are next to each other.

I have to say I was sitting there confused as hell for a few seconds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kay Kessler posted:

Weather that hot can actually be fatal to people whose bodies aren't accustomed to it. And apparently it's a pretty high temperature for Britain.

I could see it in the 90's, and if the kid was like 4, but come on. 80's is the "this is getting uncomfortable" stage of heat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The 80s are nothing, it hovers around 100 for like 3 and a half months straight in Dallas. I have no ac where I work and it's 95 degrees right now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
80s tends to make the news here as a heatwave...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Waci posted:

80s tends to make the news here as a heatwave...

Did you say a Heatwave in the 80's?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...468519770285118

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could see it in the 90's, and if the kid was like 4, but come on. 80's is the "this is getting uncomfortable" stage of heat.
How well your body can handle heat varies from person to person, depending on factors like metabolic rate, body shape, etc.Also in general the more humid the climate, the warmer the actual temperature feels.
Maybe you live somewhere that tends to have a dry heat and/or have a high tolerance for heat. But over here in the Netherlands, I'd probably be sweating all over if I'm wearing something like long sleeved uniform at 25+ degrees Celsius.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SpacePig posted:

I'm sort of interested in knowing the exact line of thinking that lead to "tappy ratry" specficically. Tappy I understand, but surely you would've figured something was wrong before even coming up with ratry. Maybe this lady just wanted to get on the news somehow.
I'd assume (if it wasn't in fact deliberate on her part) that that happened to be the order in which they appeared in the container.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love English news articles. They always have the best photos of everyone. My favorite was a mother holding a wet rag to her kids head because he had to go to school in a long sleeve uniform during a heat wave. Her face wracked with worry, his with apprehension. It was like 80 degrees out.

To be fair 80C is a bit much

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

radiatinglines posted:

The 80s are nothing, it hovers around 100 for like 3 and a half months straight in Dallas. I have no ac where I work and it's 95 degrees right now.

This is Britain we're talking about, we're adapted to rain and misery. Heat takes us by surprise and we just can't handle it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Slime posted:

This is Britain we're talking about, we're adapted to rain and misery. Heat takes us by surprise and we just can't handle it.

Same here in Denmark. If it's cold you can put on a sweater. If it's too warm you can cower miserably in the shade and try not to die until weather permits you to breathe again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raygereio posted:

How well your body can handle heat varies from person to person, depending on factors like metabolic rate, body shape, etc.Also in general the more humid the climate, the warmer the actual temperature feels.
Maybe you live somewhere that tends to have a dry heat and/or have a high tolerance for heat. But over here in the Netherlands, I'd probably be sweating all over if I'm wearing something like long sleeved uniform at 25+ degrees Celsius.

Ha! We keep our apartment at 74 degrees in the summer here in Chicago. It was 92 degrees and 80% humidity yesterday. I walked 2 miles in a black three piece suit. And we get below 0 temps every winter (the lowest I can remember was two years ago we hit almost -30). We hearty Chicago people can just take weather I guess!

I also lived in FL when I was kid (high 80-90's all summer) and AZ when I was in my 20's (like living in a taupe coloed oven and it hit 120 degrees once when I was there). So yeah, my heat and cold tolerances are pretty far out there, but 80's should not be threat to any human being that is above the age of like 4 and below the age of 75.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kay Kessler posted:

And we believe these people deserve to live on our hot little planet?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Same here in eastern north dakota. We rarely get super hot, but we get high 70s with 90% humidity all the loving time because we are just lousy with rivers and lakes. Most people here will be out in shorts and T-Shirts when it's 40 F, but we're worshiping the humidity destroying air-god in the summer.

A few years back we had a heat-index of somewhere in the 120s because it broke 100 and was so humid you could only breathe through your shirt because the air near your body was marginally less humid.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
In the American south you pray for weather in the 80s so you can finally do the yardwork in comfort.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha! We keep our apartment at 74 degrees in the summer here in Chicago. It was 92 degrees and 80% humidity yesterday. I walked 2 miles in a black three piece suit.

Wouldn't walking around in suit dripping with sweat be kinda impractical even if you can tolerate it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

Wouldn't walking around in suit dripping with sweat be kinda impractical even if you can tolerate it?

It was on my way home, and it wasn't so bad actually cause there was a breeze the entire way. My undershirt was a bit sweaty, but no pit stains or anything on my dress shirt. My socks on the other hand...black socks inside black leather. Those were gross.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

syscall girl posted:

To be fair 80C is a bit much

They just use whichever scale sounds worse when you complain about it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I also lived in FL when I was kid (high 80-90's all summer) and AZ when I was in my 20's (like living in a taupe coloed oven and it hit 120 degrees once when I was there).

But.. but... it's a dry heat!

That was on June 19th of this year at about 2:30pm. :v:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
That's almost 300 degrees!

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

The Locator posted:

But.. but... it's a dry heat!

That was on June 19th of this year at about 2:30pm. :v:

haha hey, at least in a dry heat, you can use a swamp cooler super effectively! (and you can leave out a bag of chips for more than 30 seconds before they turn stale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since moving to New York it has not stopped infuriating me that I can leave out an opened can of almonds, with the lid on, for like a week before they start turning loving gummy and soft. What in the actual hell, almonds do not do that.