Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ultraman memories time!

I discovered Ultraman through his video game, which thankfully I only rented because it was one of those licensed old school video games that thought difficulty through weird hitboxes and cheap hits made a better video game.

Then I discovered his old, original, dubbed show (not Syber Squad but some dubbing of the Japanese actors) was being shown on KBHK, which before it became a UPN affiliate and put on big-boy pants was a station that ran some weird stuff. I remember being excited when the Degola episode came on, hoping it would teach me something to beat it in the video game. :sweatdrop:

Also it took me about thirty episodes of Syber Squad before I finally recognized that Sam's alter-ego sure looked awfully familiar.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

Ultraman memories time!

I discovered Ultraman through his video game, which thankfully I only rented because it was one of those licensed old school video games that thought difficulty through weird hitboxes and cheap hits made a better video game.

Then I discovered his old, original, dubbed show (not Syber Squad but some dubbing of the Japanese actors) was being shown on KBHK, which before it became a UPN affiliate and put on big-boy pants was a station that ran some weird stuff. I remember being excited when the Degola episode came on, hoping it would teach me something to beat it in the video game. :sweatdrop:

Also it took me about thirty episodes of Syber Squad before I finally recognized that Sam's alter-ego sure looked awfully familiar.

Gridman still has some of my favorite designs in Toku, would love for it to get a proper English release, also I really need to hunt down the the old toyline for it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Burkion posted:

Oh My no. Ultra Q does not end.

In fact, one thing you'll be quick to discover- Ultra Q ran straight into Ultraman, and the opening of Ultraman shows this. Ultraman starts out with Ultra Q's opening before smashing into its own. Kind of like how episodes 1 and 2 of Kamen RIder V3 are episodes 99 and 100 of the original.

This is actually pretty cool. I get the feeling it was a very "let's make some TV and see what sticks" sort of situation, where they experimented with the original anthology series and retooled it into a superhero show when they decided to boost its appeal and move from B&W to color.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is actually pretty cool. I get the feeling it was a very "let's make some TV and see what sticks" sort of situation, where they experimented with the original anthology series and retooled it into a superhero show when they decided to boost its appeal and move from B&W to color.

That was part of it yeah. The other part was that Tsuburaya himself, who was heavily involved in all of the Toku series his company produced until his untimely death in 1970, wanted a more focused and more spectacular series. Though Ultraman is, itself, pretty similar to Ultra Q in how extremely different the stories could be. Some episodes are engaging and tragic, others are out and out parody.

One other extremely notable thing about Eiji Tsuburaya was that he had the clout and the balls to not only do what he did with the Toho monsters and suits and get away with it, since they were his creations and Toho respected that, but also end and start shows as he pleased. Ultraman was only 39 episodes because Tsuburaya didn't want the show to stagnate and wanted to move onto something more serious and sci-fi heavy. The show was so popular the network would have let it continue running for ages.

The show he moved onto after Ultraman was, of course, UltraSeven, which he poured a lot of time and effort into, and is considered by many people to be one of the best if not the best series in the franchise.

Those three shows together, for their ups and downs, are all amazing and all ground breaking. We would not have tokustasu as we know it without them and Tsuburaya himself. I'm always a bit sad to see how ignored the franchise is among nerd circles, but a lot of people don't jive with the slower pacing so there's not a whole lot to do about that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
is ultraseven streaming anywhere

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

is ultraseven streaming anywhere

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-seven

It is indeed!

One important thing though- UltraSeven is not a typical Ultraman series. They did not intend for him to be another Ultraman- his name for the first three or four episodes of production was Redman, in fact. (Due to the kind of cameras they had and the shooting schedule, all of the dialogue had to be dubbed in after the fact, for every episode, so his name wasn't that big a thing to change at the time.)

He only became an Ultraman and part of the franchise retroactively with Return of Ultraman in 1971, partly because they wanted to incorporate one of Tsuburaya's favorite series into the whole thing out of respect and Seven fit well enough with the Ultra franchise that they knew they could do it.

So that's why the show is more like a super fast paced Star Trek, rather than a kaiju fighting series. Also if you're wondering when you watch the first episode- yes, UltraSeven was a major inspiration for Pokemon. You'll see what I mean.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-seven

It is indeed!

One important thing though- UltraSeven is not a typical Ultraman series. They did not intend for him to be another Ultraman- his name for the first three or four episodes of production was Redman, in fact. (Due to the kind of cameras they had and the shooting schedule, all of the dialogue had to be dubbed in after the fact, for every episode, so his name wasn't that big a thing to change at the time.)

He only became an Ultraman and part of the franchise retroactively with Return of Ultraman in 1971, partly because they wanted to incorporate one of Tsuburaya's favorite series into the whole thing out of respect and Seven fit well enough with the Ultra franchise that they knew they could do it.

So that's why the show is more like a super fast paced Star Trek, rather than a kaiju fighting series. Also if you're wondering when you watch the first episode- yes, UltraSeven was a major inspiration for Pokemon. You'll see what I mean.

notably Tsuburaya would reuse the name Redman for another Toku series several years later, who is primarily notable for several things; 1.) having 138 episodes, each about 5 minutes in length(due to originally being made as part of a Children's Variety Show) and 2.) every single enemy he fought being reused Ultra monsters

also Tsuburaya is uploading episodes of it onto their YouTube channel(although besides first episode they seem to be only keeping several episodes uploaded at a time for some reason);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUp1zim_GqQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the most hilarious thing about Redman is that he's not even fighting the real Ultra Monsters.

He's fighting the super cheap stage show replica suit versions that look even worse.

Adding to the parallel between Redman and UltraSeven, UltraSeven actually had the prototype of Redman's series. it was basically the same idea, only it was called Ultra Fight- the first 39 episodes were the Ultraman fights from the actual series, but after that it was Redman style "Random fights between Seven and whatever monster suit they had on hand"

Redman is basically the lovely pinnacle of that idea.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

This is either what Ex-Aid gamer level 2 form looks like, or it's a leaked image of the Nintendo NX

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He is, technically, wearing a mask.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Acne Rain posted:

This is either what Ex-Aid gamer level 2 form looks like, or it's a leaked image of the Nintendo NX

Actually it's Kamen Rider SNES.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Akibarider, YES!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
by the way, is a rumored picture of the new suit supposed to be spoilered? I'm just treading lightly here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm honestly kinda diggin' Ex-Aid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
finally, a hot pink goku hero for the modern era

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Akibarider looks pretty good, though I see they're just dropping the bug theme entirely for this one (I can't see it at least).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The bug theme was pretty much abandoned long ago. The bug eyes on some of the masks are really the only remnant.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bug theme isn't that important to Kamen Rider.

It's a thing that you can have or not. Remember, the original 'Kamen' for Kamen Rider was gonna be a skull mask. What a weird world that reality would have been.

Even with the original Riders, and I mean the very original first batch the first 7, Amazon is not bug themed at all. He's a lizard man.

What's important is that Riders take the power of their enemies and use it for justice. It's when you don't do that that it starts becoming a little hazy on how much of a Rider you really are.

Thankfully I don't think we've had a single Rider abandon that yet. I think.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

What's important is that Riders take the power of their enemies and use it for justice. It's when you don't do that that it starts becoming a little hazy on how much of a Rider you really are.

Looking forward to some real anime-rear end Kaijin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

True enough, though seeing it out of context I probably wouldn't be able to tell that Ex-Aid design was from a Kamen Rider series. It's not a bad suit overall though and it'll probably be better once we see it in action.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

It's a thing that you can have or not. Remember, the original 'Kamen' for Kamen Rider was gonna be a skull mask. What a weird world that reality would have been.

Even with the original Riders, and I mean the very original first batch the first 7, Amazon is not bug themed at all. He's a lizard man.

If you squint a little, it was a bit of a plot/thematic point in Wizard that while everything up to that point was Phantom-derived and also provided directly or indirectly by Flutewood, Infinity came completely from Hope. I think that in their final battle, White Wizard tries to taunt Haruto saying he gave him all the magic he has, and Haruto directly rebuts that point by saying that Infinity is all him.

I mean, it is Wizard...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

If you squint a little, it was a bit of a plot/thematic point in Wizard that while everything up to that point was Phantom-derived and also provided directly or indirectly by Flutewood, Infinity came completely from Hope. I think that in their final battle, White Wizard tries to taunt Haruto saying he gave him all the magic he has, and Haruto directly rebuts that point by saying that Infinity is all him.

I mean, it is Wizard...

Look.

Wizard might be the worst Kamen Rider series. Like, the worst.

So it failing to get the point of what a Kamen Rider thematically is is just par for the course.

Also that's still stupid because Haruto would have never gotten Infinity without being Wizard. it still ties back into him being Wizard.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If it pleases the thread:

One of the new cat costumes in Monster Hunter Generations is straight-up a Kamen Rider.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Taking the enemy's power to fight for justice is one part, for sure.

But also you have to have a mask, and a motorcycle. The long scarves should probably have been mandatory too but whatever.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Light Gun Man posted:

Taking the enemy's power to fight for justice is one part, for sure.

But also you have to have a mask, and a motorcycle. The long scarves should probably have been mandatory too but whatever.

Exception to motorcycle rule: Drive

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There was a bike and scarf in Drive but the worst character had them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
When I was a kid I was OBSESSED with Ultraman, I had bedsheets and toys and those giant doll/plushies but I honestly never remember it ever being aired on TV. Was Ultraman ever on TV in the early 90's? Was it on an ABC block with Samurai Pizza Cats, VR Troopers, and Ronin Warriors?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Only main Riders to not follow that are Super-1 and J to my knowledge(technically Black RX also)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, these days it is usually more like they just use whatever is available and that just so happens to be the same power source as the baddies. the conscious decision to use an evil power for good never comes up, because the powers aren't good or bad in the first place. of course, gaim was a big exception to this trend.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

When I was a kid I was OBSESSED with Ultraman, I had bedsheets and toys and those giant doll/plushies but I honestly never remember it ever being aired on TV. Was Ultraman ever on TV in the early 90's? Was it on an ABC block with Samurai Pizza Cats, VR Troopers, and Ronin Warriors?

So this is a funny story

Ultraman was dubbed by the Speed Racer guys back in the 70s I believe, the original. I'm not sure what broadcast history it had, however. The dub is...well it's done by the Speed Racer guys. So you know what to expect there.

Then in the mid to late 80s, UltraSeven was picked up by TNT and given to CINAR I believe they were called to be dubbed.

However because it was a 1967 show being dubbed in 1985 to be shown to an audience that had much newer shows to be judged by, Cinar decided to embrace how dated the whole thing was and turn it into a self parody, but a very subdued self parody. The voice actors were all pretty drat good, and generally the tone was kept serious, but the characters would say some ridiculous things or get off onto strange tangents. One episode has Dan walking back to base in the middle of a snow storm after a whole thing happened, and in the Japanese version it's just a quiet scene of him triumphantly heading back to base. In the dub, it's a rambling nonstop monologue of Dan thinking about how he needs to get Anne (More on this in a moment) to sew himself some pockets in his outfit so that he wont' lose his transformation item again and how wonderful pockets are and it just goes free form like that as credits roll- never mind the fact that he has pockets in his uniform.

Another episode is played entirely straight faced, EXCEPT whenever they talk about the enemy of the episode, the gag always goes "Alien Saboteurs " "From Space?!". Every single time some one says Alien Saboteurs, some one else kicks in with FROM SPACE?

And it keeps building and building until the Narrator says it, and the entire cast cuts him off by screaming FROM SPACE

It's just such a weird goddamn dub. It played well into the 90s as well, on Monstervision and at odd hours on TNT.

However, what you might be familiar with would be an Ultra series I didn't bring up in my big write up.

There are three I didn't cover for a few reasons. Powered, Great and Neos. Neos is just because it's a 12 episode OVA that I'm not sure has a working torrent for it anymore. Powered was the first and so far only American attempt at an Ultraman series and we won't talk about it today.

Ultraman Great however was an Australian production, made with the help of Tsuburaya, in the 1990s. It aired in the US, though I'm not sure when exactly. It's the one the first SNES game, Ultraman Towards the Future, is based on.

Ultraman Great is a weird series but it's not a terrible one. It has some neat ideas and Gudis is an inspired monster. Great's design is also strange- he's the only Ultraman to have a spandex body suit, and his ears look like human ears for whatever reason.

It was also not sure what kind of tone it should have I think, because it got really environmentally preachy and some of the plots were super kid show, but drat and Hell were tossed around regularly and a fair number of human characters got killed, which was a super no-no for early 90s kids shows.

But yeah. Ultraman Towards the Future might be the one you recall.

Tiga DID get a 4-Kids dub in the 2000s, and where the Cinar dub of UltraSeven can actually be funny and clever, the 4 Kids dub.....is not.

EDIT- I keep forgetting about poor J. I THINK Super 1 falls under the same kind of blanket as Kamen Rider X in that they're not directly the same but they are superior versions of the bad guys, IE cyborgs. In Super 1's case, space cyborg.

Also I forgot to address the strangest thing about the Cinar UltraSeven dub- the names!

See unlike most dubs, UltraSeven's dub didn't try to pretend that the show wasn't in Japan. So all of the characters kept their Japanese names, including some REALLY Japanese ones like Kiryama.

All of them except for one. Anne, who you might notice doesn't have the most Japanese name in the world already, got changed to....Donna.

I have no idea why. I don't think they did either. It can't have even been for lip syncing since Anne and Donna don't remotely fit with one another.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 14, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I still want to know what the deal with Anne was!

I hope the whole-cast FROM SPACE thing was dubbed over an "ehhhhhhhhhhh?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

I still want to know what the deal with Anne was!

I hope the whole-cast FROM SPACE thing was dubbed over an "ehhhhhhhhhhh?"

I realized I didn't actually touch onto the weirdness with her name.

That has been rectified.

I adore the UltraSeven dub- it doesn't match the original's serious tone and style, but it is legitmately funny on its own terms and has some really strange things.

Also all of the villains have new names. So you have stuff like WAYNE LORD OF THE UNIVERSE and the BUFFINS FROM THE PLANET ABBADON

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

I have no idea why. I don't think they did either. It can't have even been for lip syncing since Anne and Donna don't remotely fit with one another.

It might have, actually. I've seen "Anne" in Japanese as アンヌ (An-nuh) and a quick wiki check confirms this is the case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Only main Riders to not follow that are Super-1 and J to my knowledge(technically Black RX also)

Well Crisis was sort of responsible for creating RX though it was purely by accident when they were trying to kill Kotaro. V3 also doesn't follow the pattern as he was created by Riders 1 and 2. Decade just barely counts seeing as Neo Shocker was introduced so late in the series (though it could be argued that since the majority of his enemies are the same enemies as past Riders, his abilities do technically give him the same powers as his opponents).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 14, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

It might have, actually. I've seen "Anne" in Japanese as アンヌ (An-nuh) and a quick wiki check confirms this is the case.

That's not how they pronounce it though, in the show.

In the show they pronounce it as Annah, the ns as one long sound, not broken up like in Donna.

Which just makes me wonder- why not name her Anna if they had to change her name? It's just such a weird thing because everyone else gets to keep their Japanese names.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

well, these days it is usually more like they just use whatever is available and that just so happens to be the same power source as the baddies. the conscious decision to use an evil power for good never comes up, because the powers aren't good or bad in the first place. of course, gaim was a big exception to this trend.
well lets start with W since that's about as early as i've watched

W- gaia memories are a power invented by an evil organization to make themselves superhuman also likened to drugs. They literally stole powers from the evil organization to combat them.

OOO- the greed are a hosed up race that lives only to consume and the medals are parts of them also literally stolen

fourze- Switches aren't evil and it's actually the bad guys that have stolen the power

Wizard- Phantoms are pretty evil and wizard is given his belt by the series badguy.

Gaim- also given his belt by villains and uses the power of an evil forest.

Drive- didn't watch sorry

Ghost- Takeru 's belt and the heroic icons are both created for him in a mimicry of the badguy's powers

So i would say Fourze and Ghost are the least kamen rider of the more recent series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for drive, the belts and such were specifically made to fight roidmudes. there was nothing innately evil about the roidmudes in general, though some individuals seemed to be nasty and villainous by nature. so really, it was all just technology without any moral connotations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Serious Frolicking posted:

for drive, the belts and such were specifically made to fight roidmudes. there was nothing innately evil about the roidmudes in general, though some individuals seemed to be nasty and villainous by nature. so really, it was all just technology without any moral connotations.

You say, but Drive is the only show (apart from Wizard's awful last two episodes) that actually has someone call this out in-series, with Shinnosuke refusing to trust Mr. Belt at first because he realized immediately that he's using the exact same power source as the robots he's fighting (toy cars, of course).

Being a Kamen Rider kind of means you have to accept some shady stuff to combat even shadier stuff, but I gotta give credit to Big Bro Shin for not only realizing it, but also showing reasonable doubt because of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning about the Tiga dub; 4Kids only brought it to the states for two reasons, one was that it was ridiculously cheap to do so(thus allowing them to fill a slot in Fox Box for a couple months till they could get something else ready), and the other was to explain a random 2 second gag in an episode of the Kirby anime where he puts on an Ultraman mask, guess they felt it would have been too confusing otherwise:iiam:(and despite all the other edits they did to their series they didn't just edit that gag out)

This is why Tiga's dub is shoddy even by Tokusatsu standards, and also why Tiga only ran for about 10 episodes or so till they quietly canned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

You say, but Drive is the only show (apart from Wizard's awful last two episodes) that actually has someone call this out in-series, with Shinnosuke refusing to trust Mr. Belt at first because he realized immediately that he's using the exact same power source as the robots he's fighting (toy cars, of course).

Being a Kamen Rider kind of means you have to accept some shady stuff to combat even shadier stuff, but I gotta give credit to Big Bro Shin for not only realizing it, but also showing reasonable doubt because of it.

krim was incredibly secretive and shinnosuke had trouble trusting him because of it, but it turned out in the end that krim was 100% trustworthy. the belts were safe, the shift cars were safe, and krim never did anything wrong with regards to roidmudes.

• Locked thread