Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I never really understood why Android is so fragmented, but I'm sure I'm just not fully understanding the problem.

Like, (almost) every single Linux distro has a package manager and releases software and security updates reasonably regularly. Most of the time, as far as I know, the people behind the scenes for these distros don't have anywhere near the same resources as Google.

Why aren't updates managed similarly for Android? I'm not saying have a full on package management system like apt, dnf, or pacman for Android, but why wouldn't something like that be possible?

Are the hardware variations between phones just too big? Wouldn't variations be even greater on desktops and laptops? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

Are the hardware variations between phones just too big? Wouldn't variations be even greater on desktops and laptops? What am I missing?
Yes. Yes but not really. Drivers for phone hardware aren't standardized and are rarely open and available and each Android version has to be custom-tailored to the specific hardware.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. Yes but not really. Drivers for phone hardware aren't standardized and are rarely open and available and each Android version has to be custom-tailored to the specific hardware.

I can understand this I guess, but did hardware manufacturers just not learn anything from a few decades of personal computer hardware or something? Making everything smaller and cheaper is probably more important than standardization for phones I suppose.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mogomra posted:

What am I missing?
You're looking for technical reasons when the answer is simple: there is no financial incentive for the OEMs. Yeah sure Google gets a PR black eye when mainstream media outlets run stories about "X% of Android devices vulnerable to some new hack" but most consumers obviously don't give a poo poo. As long as Instagram, Snapchat, and now Pokémon Go work they're happy. Otherwise they just go to Best Buy and renew their contract for a new phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EDIT: Also that^^^^^

Without Google literally mandating a specific set of hardware (which would completely ruin Android's advantages and remove any desire for OEMs to make phones), it'll be extraordinarily difficult to do what you're suggesting while maintaining decent performance.

Note that mandating a specific set of hardware is precisely what they did with the Android One program.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're looking for technical reasons when the answer is simple: there is no financial incentive for the OEMs. Yeah sure Google gets a PR black eye when mainstream media outlets run stories about "X% of Android devices vulnerable to some new hack" but most consumers obviously don't give a poo poo. As long as Instagram, Snapchat, and now Pokémon Go work they're happy. Otherwise they just go to Best Buy and renew their contract for a new phone.

I don't really understand this part I guess. How do people keep buying laptops with Windows and how does Windows Update keep working for everyone? Why can't Google do that? A lot of laptop/desktop manufacturers made or still make Android phones don't they?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There are standards for 'what makes a PC' that go back to the 1980s, and a lot of effort is put into making sure Microsoft Windows works with ancient software. The modern smartphone market, by comparison, is barely a decade old, and subject to very different economic and social conditions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Because carries have to approve any updates sent to phones or face the wrath of customers when their phone breaks. Apple has a special exception to this, thus can update phones directly without carrier bullshit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I don't really understand this part I guess. How do people keep buying laptops with Windows and how does Windows Update keep working for everyone? Why can't Google do that?
Again, where is the financial incentive for Google to spend resources on that? The answer to every question you keep asking is "follow the money." You keep trying to apply technical reasoning to what are ultimately business decisions.

Google generates money from Android in different ways than Microsoft generates money from Windows which in turn generates money in different ways than Apple from iOS. You can't directly compare their support systems. I realize an easy counterargument to that is "why should consumers care how they make money? We should only care about the experience" but it sure seems to me like most don't care anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 12, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I realize an easy counterargument to that is "why should consumers care how they make money? We should only care about the experience" but it sure seems to me like most don't care anyway.
Yeah, I was going to say pretty much that, but for the most part it really is a moot point I guess.

Uthor posted:

Apple has a special exception to this, thus can update phones directly without carrier bullshit.
What is the deal there? Does Apple just have ~*Business Magic*~ or was it that they were in on the ground floor of the whole smartphone explosion?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mogomra posted:

What is the deal there? Does Apple just have ~*Business Magic*~ or was it that they were in on the ground floor of the whole smartphone explosion?
People forget that Apple's original deal was with Cingular, not AT&T. It also wasn't originally sold subsidized. That was an easier environment for Apple to bring terms to, and the assumption is that their deal just carried over after the AT&T acquisition. After that, it was probably just a matter of waiting for the other carriers to cave as iPhone demand increased.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mogomra posted:

or was it that they were in on the ground floor of the whole smartphone explosion?

Yeah, this. The reason they were AT&T only at first was because they were the only carrier that would make the "no carrier bs updates, no carrier apps" deal. Once the iPhone hit it big, they could let the demand leverage the other carriers into the same deal.

Edit: I guess Cingular, not AT&T.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got my moto g4 in today, and I'm always super paranoid about damaging the screen on smartphones. Are there any notable recommendations on screen protectors or cases with them built in? Every time I've tried to use one so far on past phones they've always either been near impossible to keep from having bubbles, or the glass ones would come with a chip or crack already in them.

EDIT: Actually a good case that has a foldover cover would probably work just as well. Mostly concerned about it being scratched when in my pocket or in a gym locker than I am about it being scratched when using it.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 13, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I rolled my 6P back to M last night and it didn't even show it as a restore from option. :(

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's the thing, the Moto X 2014 was a goddamn Google flagship. It's like they're trying to disavow it. I tried to get right, no root, locked bootloader, but apparently I never can be.

gently caress it; I'm getting an iPhone; at least they keep their poo poo up to date. Wake me up if ChromeOS with extensions ever shows up on phones.
Thats very strange, since the ACTUAL Nexus of that gen is running M and has N beta available. And I don't even have to think about which Nexus that actually is.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 13, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I never really understood why Android is so fragmented, but I'm sure I'm just not fully understanding the problem.
May have something to do with the fact that there are 24,000 unique Android devices in the world.

Compare that to the number of iOS devices and I think you are off to a good start with understanding the fragmentation.

I'm certain it's more complicated/intricate than this, but Android must be a nightmare to develop for, given this. The SDK probably makes it easier now, but the past must have been a disaster.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

May have something to do with the fact that there are 24,000 unique Android devices in the world.

Compare that to the number of iOS devices and I think you are off to a good start with understanding the fragmentation.

I'm certain it's more complicated/intricate than this, but Android must be a nightmare to develop for, given this. The SDK probably makes it easier now, but the past must have been a disaster.

https://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/this-is-what-developing-for-android-looks-like/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

First, it's the OEMs like Samsung that have to take up the update burden. It's not Google since they aren't making ROMs for all devices. So, no matter what, Google can't do much about the update situation without running the risk of angering their OEMs by dictating a uniform design.

Second, any device manufacturer could very easily say "gently caress the carrier, we aren't installing poo poo and we'll push updates when we please." The only issue is they don't want to do that because they then give up shelf space in the carrier store and sweet sweet advertising dollars that the carrier throws their way. Carriers also accept all the risk in financing user's phones. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. There's no reason to give up all that stuff to improve the user experience. Samsung knows if they rebelled, ATT or Verizon would then start pushing LG or HTC heavily and remove all galaxy devices from the shelves. Overnight, Samsung would lose a huge market presence, relying on Amazon or Best Buy to sell their phones full price.

It's no accident that the Moto Z dropped CDMA support from last year's Moto X. Verizon offered them a buttload of money to make an exclusive branded device and they likely mandated that they couldn't compete with it with an unlocked device.

Apple is completely different. First, they approach their development process a bit different. It's not that Apple software doesn't undergo carrier testing and feedback, it's just that it gets prioritized and front loaded in the process. Second, there's no alternative iOS device to purchase. They can afford to tell the carriers "get this poo poo tested on our rollout schedule, it's not like you can turn to a different iOS manufacturer."

One thing that would improve things GREATLY is put a clearer line between hardware and service sales. You don't go to Comcast to pick out your TV when you get service (as much as Comcast would love that) and phone companies long ago were forced to do away with the whole "renting a phone" thing for landlines.

Enjoy this article from 1983
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...8-e1e2bf3b67b2/

Something similar needs to happen with the carriers. The FCC should mandate that every phone sold in the US market must work on every major carrier. We have the technology now to do that. Every phone should be portable. There should also be a mandated separation of service and phone sales in carrier stores. Someone should sell you service and hand you a SIM. You can then go look at what phones are available. This separation needs to extend to the backend of the business as well. Phone sales should operated as a separate retail entity with distinct financials from the service line, essentially spun off. That way, the stores have to operate on a level playing field compared to other retail entities instead of using funding from the massive profits of the service line of business to dictate the hardware market and exert control.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

hotsauce posted:

It's actually a lot nicer than iOS most of the time. There are special snowflake scenarios typically involving Samsung loving around with how Android works, but usually not so bad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

First, it's the OEMs like Samsung that have to take up the update burden. It's not Google since they aren't making ROMs for all devices. So, no matter what, Google can't do much about the update situation without running the risk of angering their OEMs by dictating a uniform design.

Oh, I agree. The burden is on OEMs. Google puts out the base OS and says "here ya go everyone!" Then the fuckery begins, leading to real (or perceived) fragmentation. People get confused, pissy and frustrated that their phone's security is ancient. People get mad that they are on old software. People get mad about a lot of things, some just give up an get an iPhone.

All of this burden lies on OEMs and Carriers, not really Google. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. Fragmentation with Android will almost always be this way because so many companies have their hands in the AOSP cookie jar.

I don't pretend to be a super knowledgable person about any of this, but it's how the situation looks from my perspective.

Guess the easiest way to show myself out is to say "just get a Nexus or an iPhone" or surrender your rights to complain about anything.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there anything like Good Lock's 'keep' notification system where you can swipe notifications for later, but without the actual lock screen part?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

hotsauce posted:

I'm aware of that, but I was more interested in why the methods of keeping personal computers up to date aren't acceptable or applicable for Android devices. It was all discussed above anyway.

Besides that, there's gotta be many many more unique personal computers than Android devices. Right? But yeah, it's not really about that I guess.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
poo poo, my 5X slipped out of my hand when I grabbed it from table, fell maybe 20 cm and screen shattered completely. Glass screen protector unharmed...

Anyway, digging out my old 1st gen Moto G made me realize I really miss smaller phone and how goddamn huge 5X actually is. Other than Sony compacts what else is there worth using of smaller phones? Pretty much has to have amazing camera like 5X since I got so used to it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Got my Moto G Plus today - the fingerprint reader is wicked fast, the camera and screen are nice. I like this phone a lot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I'm aware of that, but I was more interested in why the methods of keeping personal computers up to date aren't acceptable or applicable for Android devices. It was all discussed above anyway.

Besides that, there's gotta be many many more unique personal computers than Android devices. Right? But yeah, it's not really about that I guess.

One thing I didn't see discussed above was the fact that "fragmentation" isn't as much of a problem now as it was, say, three years ago.

The way Android used to work is that there was a lot of the framework and stuff in Android itself and that got updated with the Android version. The idea was that obviously OEMs and carriers would act in good faith and work to make sure users weren't on old Android versions a year into their phone. This broke down for the obvious monetary reasons which are that OEMs have no incentive to provide the users updates as that's just pouring development time and money into devices they've already sold and carriers have no incentive to push them out because it's going to increase support costs.

For this and other reasons Google has moved more and more of what used to be in AOSP to Google Play Services and separate apps. A good example of this would be the Webview which is now an app in the Play Store so when there's a web vulnerability they just push an update to that app and all devices which pass the Compatibility Test Suite and ship with Google services are updated. There are still things that can't be patched with apps and Google Play Services updates but nothing like it used to be. Best of all, updates to Google Play Services can't be blocked or seen by the user and occur silently to every signed in device so you don't have the problem of idiots not keeping things up to date on purpose.

There is a cost to this, of course, and that's that AOSP is now less useful for a company choosing to forgo Google services because more and more vital parts of it are deprecated in the open sourced part and are proprietary and therefore subject to Google's control. That means devices shipping without Play Services in the third world are super duper vulnerable because OEMs would have to be backpatching all the poo poo that Google fixes on Play Store devices (and they are not doing that) but no one cares about those people anyway (OEMs and carriers for the reasons detailed above, and Google because Google isn't on these devices, and the governments because they're oppressive and don't want secure platforms either).

On top of all of that, you've now got this tenuous agreement between OEMs, carriers, and Google where Google makes monthly security patches to things that aren't updatable via Play Store or Play Services and those updates are only for those security vulnerabilities. OEMs agree to make them available for their devices and carriers agree to fast track their approval which is working reasonably well. Devices now aren't years behind but instead are maybe only months behind (though some OEMs are worse than others).

So what this all means is maybe you're behind on Android versions and are missing some new features and APIs but for the most part the downsides of fragmentation have been mitigated. Most users don't care about what's in the latest Android version anyway and users shouldn't have to care about security at all if their OEM is competent.

Does that answer your question?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What is the best dual sim phone out there?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kiwid posted:

What is the best dual sim phone out there?

Not an answer, but your avatar is syncing almost perfectly with the song I'm listening to.

Apothecaries' Weight by Kyuss

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I really hope the new Nexuses have 3GB+ RAM. The 5X is a great phone except for the fact that sometimes it can barely keep two apps in memory. It's frustrating switching to a 2-factor app and then immediately back to Chrome, only for Chrome to reload the page which puts me back to the username/password screen :argh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I've noticed that on my 2014 X, particularly with browsers (I have the same problem with Firefox, for instance). It's really loving annoying.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

One thing I didn't see discussed above was the fact that "fragmentation" isn't as much of a problem now as it was, say, three years ago.

The way Android used to work is that there was a lot of the framework and stuff in Android itself and that got updated with the Android version. The idea was that obviously OEMs and carriers would act in good faith and work to make sure users weren't on old Android versions a year into their phone. This broke down for the obvious monetary reasons which are that OEMs have no incentive to provide the users updates as that's just pouring development time and money into devices they've already sold and carriers have no incentive to push them out because it's going to increase support costs.

For this and other reasons Google has moved more and more of what used to be in AOSP to Google Play Services and separate apps. A good example of this would be the Webview which is now an app in the Play Store so when there's a web vulnerability they just push an update to that app and all devices which pass the Compatibility Test Suite and ship with Google services are updated. There are still things that can't be patched with apps and Google Play Services updates but nothing like it used to be. Best of all, updates to Google Play Services can't be blocked or seen by the user and occur silently to every signed in device so you don't have the problem of idiots not keeping things up to date on purpose.

There is a cost to this, of course, and that's that AOSP is now less useful for a company choosing to forgo Google services because more and more vital parts of it are deprecated in the open sourced part and are proprietary and therefore subject to Google's control. That means devices shipping without Play Services in the third world are super duper vulnerable because OEMs would have to be backpatching all the poo poo that Google fixes on Play Store devices (and they are not doing that) but no one cares about those people anyway (OEMs and carriers for the reasons detailed above, and Google because Google isn't on these devices, and the governments because they're oppressive and don't want secure platforms either).

On top of all of that, you've now got this tenuous agreement between OEMs, carriers, and Google where Google makes monthly security patches to things that aren't updatable via Play Store or Play Services and those updates are only for those security vulnerabilities. OEMs agree to make them available for their devices and carriers agree to fast track their approval which is working reasonably well. Devices now aren't years behind but instead are maybe only months behind (though some OEMs are worse than others).

So what this all means is maybe you're behind on Android versions and are missing some new features and APIs but for the most part the downsides of fragmentation have been mitigated. Most users don't care about what's in the latest Android version anyway and users shouldn't have to care about security at all if their OEM is competent.

Does that answer your question?

It certainly does shed some light on why my mostly incoherent idea for updates don't necessarily translate to Android. Thanks for the thorough write up!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

IAmKale posted:

Holy poo poo, I really hope the new Nexuses have 3GB+ RAM. The 5X is a great phone except for the fact that sometimes it can barely keep two apps in memory. It's frustrating switching to a 2-factor app and then immediately back to Chrome, only for Chrome to reload the page which puts me back to the username/password screen :argh:

4GB according to Android Police's claimed spec leaks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It all the spec leaks are real, it does seem Google has their poo poo together for the new Nexus. Two handsets, both exactly the same internal specs, they look exactly the same on the outside, just one is bigger than the other. The size only affects battery capacity and screen resolution.

I do think 5" and 5.5" are at little too close though. It should have really been 4.7" and 5.5" or 5" and 5.7".

One thing I haven't seen but would be the top of my whishlist would be the ditching of eMMC for UFS. IO performance is one place where Android gets spanked by Apple and an upgrade here would be a huge boon in responsiveness.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IAmKale posted:

They'll each have 4GB. Marlin and Sailfish.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Blitter posted:

Ebay.co.uk has replacement screen/digitizers for 14-20£ I paid 40$ (cdn) for mine cheap replacement a year or so ago, and while a little fiddly, it wasn't hard. Check ifixit for a guide if you are curious, and want to postpone till the next release cycle.

I think that actually seems like the best suggestion. Just need to hope my fat fingers don't destroy everything. Well now I've got something to keep me occupied on Sunday at least.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just got the OTA July Security update on my Nexus 6p which dropped.... a week ago? If that's how fast Google is pushing it to Nexus I wonder what the carriers are doing...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Scaramouche posted:

Just got the OTA July Security update on my Nexus 6p which dropped.... a week ago? If that's how fast Google is pushing it to Nexus I wonder what the carriers are doing...

It's a phased rollout; same as it ever was.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LastInLine posted:

They'll each have 4GB. Marlin and Sailfish.

God I need the 5" one now

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

bull3964 posted:

It all the spec leaks are real, it does seem Google has their poo poo together for the new Nexus. Two handsets, both exactly the same internal specs, they look exactly the same on the outside, just one is bigger than the other. The size only affects battery capacity and screen resolution.
This probably means that the smaller model won't be cheap, though. Probably something like €650 for the 5.5" (like the 6P) and €550 for the 5".

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Hello android goons!

So, the other day my Nexus 5 finally decided it didn't want to wake up anymore.

I have been having the sticking power button problem intermittently throughout the year, but even the old "phone on desk" fix is not pulling it out of its repeated reboot cycle.

I am looking for a recommendation.

A number of people are telling me to go with the S7 Edge, but others are telling me to go HTC 10 or Nexus 5x.

I've done some research on the phones and I am somewhat leaning towards the 5x, it would be my plan to get the new Nexus phones that will be releasing down the line.

Am I being misguided? or is there another phone I should be looking at.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

I do think 5" and 5.5" are at little too close though. It should have really been 4.7" and 5.5" or 5" and 5.7".

One thing I haven't seen but would be the top of my whishlist would be the ditching of eMMC for UFS. IO performance is one place where Android gets spanked by Apple and an upgrade here would be a huge boon in responsiveness.

Does the 820/821 support UFS?

Yes, it does.

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Commandante posted:

Hello android goons!

So, the other day my Nexus 5 finally decided it didn't want to wake up anymore.

I have been having the sticking power button problem intermittently throughout the year, but even the old "phone on desk" fix is not pulling it out of its repeated reboot cycle.

I am looking for a recommendation.

A number of people are telling me to go with the S7 Edge, but others are telling me to go HTC 10 or Nexus 5x.

I've done some research on the phones and I am somewhat leaning towards the 5x, it would be my plan to get the new Nexus phones that will be releasing down the line.

Am I being misguided? or is there another phone I should be looking at.

If you like the Nexus line, and are planning to buy the next generation in 4 months, a 5X would be the best choice to tide you over. It will also make for a nice backup phone.