Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Welp, and here i had the impression that i managed to talk some sense into the wehrmacht guy the last time, mostly because he seemed to give my opinion as a german more weight. I guess i'm out of the group too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Not to dive headfirst into the rabbit hole, but I was taking part in the chat after someone commented about that - was it a swastika or SS logo, or the normal black cross? Because no one clarified that in the comment thread and I never saw the pictures. I was under the impression that the black cross was the standard army symbol and the proper fanatic units had the SS and swastika stuff.

Not that any of that makes sense in a far future setting anyway.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The one he posted this time was a Resistance command hovercraft with the black cross. However he has previously posted a UCM army painted up in full SS colours, with swastikas. So it's quite clear which particular edge he is lording over, and he can gently caress right off.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
A variant of the iron cross is still in use today and i wouldn't care if he did a Bundeswehr army or something but he made it clear before that he is going for a Wehrmacht theme.

And the Wehrmacht on the whole didnt consist solely of monsters but it still was the military arm of the nazi regime, no way around it.

Was there any actual dicussion this time around? I obviously cant check but the hovercraft had comments disabled and i expected my parting shot to just be deleted.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
There were heavy tanks with the lightning runes on too, in a previous post.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bistromatic posted:

Was there any actual dicussion this time around? I obviously cant check but the hovercraft had comments disabled and i expected my parting shot to just be deleted.

There was a lot of discussion, but after there were too many comments of 'well it's an ancient symbol of peace' and one dickhead bragging that his Skaven Blood Bowl team had SS logos on every model I turned off notifications for the comments. There were people that were liking my comments about how it's stupid and pigheaded to have Nazi poo poo on your toy models, but not enough people were standing up to the dickheads saying it was fine, what's the problem.

TBH the most I know about the WW2 symbology is there were the normal army units and the fanatics that did the atrocities (the villages in Greece and France, etc.) - and I have to admit I don't know the different between the Wehrmacht and the Bundeswehr (but I'll look them up on Wikipedia (e: of course, should have known the difference but Wehrmacht was the WW2 German army, dissolved in '46 and replaced by the Bundeswehr)) - but of course there were various shades of grey between them and Allied soldiers weren't all innocent either. The general consensus with my group is why take the chance to offend someone you don't even know, but let's be real here: with gamers we tend to be talking about young, possibly brash, potentially socially inept guys, who want to impress/shock/get a reaction so it's a real mix & minefield sometimes. This is how you get My Little Pony 40K armies and confederate flag-wearing sci-fi dropships.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 13, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Are we getting a seperate thread for Dropfleet or are we going to just merge them together?

krushgroove posted:

Not to dive headfirst into the rabbit hole, but I was taking part in the chat after someone commented about that - was it a swastika or SS logo, or the normal black cross? Because no one clarified that in the comment thread and I never saw the pictures. I was under the impression that the black cross was the standard army symbol and the proper fanatic units had the SS and swastika stuff.

It was the Iron Cross I think, not the rounded-ish one the Bundeswehr whose name eludes me.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Incy posted:

There were heavy tanks with the lightning runes on too, in a previous post.

Might just be an Age of Sigmar fan.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Flipswitch posted:

Are we getting a seperate thread for Dropfleet or are we going to just merge them together?

I was thinking I would update the OP's to reflect both games and re-title the thread to match. If traffic gets out of hand we can split them out again later.

My best bad idea for a new title so far is "Hawk Wargames: Dropping it like its hot".... So yeah. Suggestions welcome. ;)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I'm thinking about color schemes for my Dropfleet Scourge.

My theme is vaguely based on the [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=liir+dreadnought&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjypviNq_HNAhWKqx4KHanOD04Q_AUICSgC&biw=1521&bih=959Liir from Sword of the Stars (RIP)[/url] so I'm going for cyan (Reaper Surf Aqua) as the primary color and light purple (Reaper Amethyst Purple) as the secondary color. I need a tertiary color (sort of the way the studio scheme uses blue).

The logical choice would be red, except that's what the Scourge's eye-thingies are colored.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bistromatic posted:

A variant of the iron cross is still in use today and i wouldn't care if he did a Bundeswehr army or something but he made it clear before that he is going for a Wehrmacht theme.

And the Wehrmacht on the whole didnt consist solely of monsters but it still was the military arm of the nazi regime, no way around it.

sorry bro but if you are using the straight-edged Balkankreuz outside of a historical WWII game, then you are a dumb nazi gently caress

The current Bundeswehr, including the modern-day Luftwaffe, uses the Eisernes Kreuz, or the Iron Cross, which is flared.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think I'll go with this (from primary to tertiary).

For the UCM I'm going to try to get away from the "all grey all the time" look they have now. Maybe dark blue?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Recoome posted:

sorry bro but if you are using the straight-edged Balkankreuz outside of a historical WWII game, then you are a dumb nazi gently caress

The current Bundeswehr, including the modern-day Luftwaffe, uses the Eisernes Kreuz, or the Iron Cross, which is flared.
I don't know what you got from my post but i'm not disagreeing with any of this and i'm aware of the distinction.

If i remember it correctly the guys latest post actually had the flared cross but i have no idea if it's another layer of idiocy or he just can't paint a straight line.

For the casual reader:
Balkenkreuz, meaning bar cross or beam cross. Used by the Wehrmacht, the armed forces of the Third Reich aka the Nazis
Eisernes Kreuz, meaning iron cross. Used by the Bundeswehr, the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Germany aka modern Germany

wdarkk posted:

For the UCM I'm going to try to get away from the "all grey all the time" look they have now. Maybe dark blue?
I could see that coming out pretty striking but also being easy to mess up, good luck.

If you wanna go dark blue, make sure it's neither too dark nor too saturated, maybe add a hint of green. I could see something inspired by the corsair scheme working

Also

Drop Commander: Fleet Zone

The Dropfleet drops the Droptroops in the Dropzone, Commander

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
My UCM force is going to be Red and black, with some silver in there - maybe a bit of gold in a few places - Roman colours.

The Scourge are going to be cribbing heavily from the Vorlon colour scheme from Babylon 5.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm debating how to paint up my Scourge half of my DFC stuff, need some inspiration for some alien shipz. Already picked out my UCM stuff.

wdarkk posted:

You planning to do camo or non camo mate?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If i end up getting scourge at some point im considering doind a dark brown basecoat and then using various rust pigments to build an orange gradient. Should be easy to blend and the colour intensity of the pigments should make it pop. Biggest question would be whether to paint the eyes gloss black or some glowy colour.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

I could see that coming out pretty striking but also being easy to mess up, good luck.

If you wanna go dark blue, make sure it's neither too dark nor too saturated, maybe add a hint of green. I could see something inspired by the corsair scheme working

Also

Drop Commander: Fleet Zone

The Dropfleet drops the Droptroops in the Dropzone, Commander

I got a giant bottle of simple green that says I can take a few tries to get it right.

As for the dark blue, I was thinking something more like this:

Flipswitch posted:

I'm debating how to paint up my Scourge half of my DFC stuff, need some inspiration for some alien shipz. Already picked out my UCM stuff.

You planning to do camo or non camo mate?

Non-camo. Space ships aren't going to be spotting each other visually, plus I'm not confident in my airbrushing enough to try that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oooh thought you meant DzC, not DFC. I think I'm going to be really boring and do that Sci-fi white/grey with decals, the same way I'm doing my Air Corps stuff for my UCM.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have not really followed things much, do we known when the DFC rewards are shipping out?
I'm anxious to get my stuff painted in LOTGH colors.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 14, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I have not really followed things much, do we known when the DFC rewards are shipping out?
I'm anxious to get my stuff painted in LOTGH colors.

It was originally supposed to be late June, so really it could be any time now, depending on all sorts of factors, such as quality control issues, delays elsewhere, Brexit-related panic, etc.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

krushgroove posted:

He started by asking the group which was cooler, wehrmacht or SS logos.
Then posted pics of the resistance helos painted with SS runes,
then posted the fast-movers in colours of the 'Glorious Messerschmitt' - painted specfically in Battle of Britain colours.

The guys facebook has him posing with Nazi WW-II guns and in SS-uniform.

He's a nazi-fetishist.

We had this all out a while ago, when it first came up - and I'd rather talk about the new models and Drop Fleet than this...

Renfield fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 14, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think the Broadsword tanks look baller as hell.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I think the Broadsword tanks look baller as hell.

The double-track thing looks a bit goofy but yeah it does. Did they say if the heavy unit version will have the same stats as the command variant?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No info IIRC but then I also didn't look any further into it. The double track is dumb I agree, but man the gun is cool as hell. Apparently we're getting a character Phoenix (not to mention the Phoenix itself is getting nerfed) which is pretty interesting!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Any idea how the Phoenix will get nerfed? I've heard of UCM air lists sweeping all before them at tournaments, so it's not a big surprise.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
UCM air is awesome, I have the stretch marks to prove it.

Phase 2 book is out later this month and should have stats for everything in it which is cool.

Slightly less cool, Dropfleet is officially still shipping at the end of this month but unofficially might be slipping into August. So we are probably talking between 2 and 4 weeks until we get our grubby hands on it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Slightly less cool, Dropfleet is officially still shipping at the end of this month but unofficially might be slipping into August. So we are probably talking between 2 and 4 weeks until we get our grubby hands on it.

Delaaaaaaaaaaaays :argh:
Gives me more time to practice airbrushing I guess.

It's just unfortunate the scheme I'm using for the stuff I'm painting now requires entirely different skills than the Scourge ships will.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

DFC can't get here fast enough. Something like a dozen people in my area kickstarted (although they may have changed their minds later), and I'm excited to give it a shot. Especially given that if it's as fun as it looks, I'm probably going to sign up to play it at the LVO next year.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Any idea how the Phoenix will get nerfed? I've heard of UCM air lists sweeping all before them at tournaments, so it's not a big surprise.

I actually have no idea where you heard that.

UCM are actually the second weakest performing faction in tournaments - and this is worldwide stats for the last couple of years. this is every tournament that posts its results and player count to the forums.

This is the UK data I have collected myself.

While everything is pretty well balanced, the UCM have always performed poorly at tournaments - its not to say they can't win, and a UCM air list is powerful thing, but it really depends on the missions given - any focal point missions will hurt a UCM air list as they don't have many boots on the ground. I've also never personally seen a Phoenix in a winning list - Ferrums, even double Ferrums yes, but not the Phoenix itself. I'll be a little upset if the UCM get a nerf without a corresponding boost elsewhere.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

I don't think I was meant to mention that bit (oops).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

UCM are actually the second weakest performing faction in tournaments - and this is worldwide stats for the last couple of years. this is every tournament that posts its results and player count to the forums.

While everything is pretty well balanced, the UCM have always performed poorly at tournaments - its not to say they can't win, and a UCM air list is powerful thing, but it really depends on the missions given - any focal point missions will hurt a UCM air list as they don't have many boots on the ground. I've also never personally seen a Phoenix in a winning list - Ferrums, even double Ferrums yes, but not the Phoenix itself. I'll be a little upset if the UCM get a nerf without a corresponding boost elsewhere.

Well this is typical, I choose the 2 'weakest' armies to use as my main forces! Oh well, not like I do tournaments or anything anyway.

I've been uploading a ton of 'unboxing' videos for all the Hawk scenery and show models, everything's uploaded but only a few are live at the moment, going to dribble them out in the next couple of weeks while I'm out of the country, but the civilian vehicle pack video is live if anyone wants to get a close look at them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ99InBh6t0

My guy at Hawk tells me these are all show-only models at the moment but they may sell limited numbers on the Hawk site in the future.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

There's a buff here and there I know of and some nerfs elsewhere. I don't have full info only tidbits. It's public knowledge at least that Flaks are getting some love. :)

What is it that Scourge struggle with? I don't see them very much as our players aren't the most active.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 15, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Scourge and ucm struggle with focal points and ground control missions. The UCM because a lot of their good stuff is airborne, the scourge because most of their units go squish and are not around to score at the end of the game.

I'm currently doing a sheet for faction vs mission type, i'll post that up when it's fairly full.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ah that does make sense actually. Hadn't thought of it like that for the Scourge types. drat jellyfishmen.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
UCM have got an awful lot better at both of those mission types with recent changes (air commanders score focal points, hazard suits are a thing now).

Scourge suffer from a similar problem, with their best stuff being airborne gunships and so being unable to contest focal points. They tend to lose games if the destroyer/eviscerator dropships are killed and so they are isolated in a building.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Wondering just how big of a shift allowing non-dropship flyers to contest/score would be, though not my friend needs any more incentive to run that bastarding Firedrake.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
It would make focal point missions a bit of a farce as you would be put all of your aircraft behind buildings 15-20 away from the focal point until it was scoring time.

E: And by 15-20 I obviously mean 25-35

Incy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 15, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A literal swarm of Falcons. It would be awesome.

On other news I finally managed to get a test game in with my Crossbows, they're really neat but drat being support makes them really, really hard to put into lists. Kind of wish they were exotics or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

A literal swarm of Falcons. It would be awesome.

On other news I finally managed to get a test game in with my Crossbows, they're really neat but drat being support makes them really, really hard to put into lists. Kind of wish they were exotics or something.

That's the ucms main issue - all their Good stuff is either exotic or support except for Archangels.

Stat wise, it will be interesting to see what phase 2 does, I'll put a stat break in to see what difference it makes. The corruptors and overseer could shake things up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

UCM have got an awful lot better at both of those mission types with recent changes (air commanders score focal points, hazard suits are a thing now).

Scourge suffer from a similar problem, with their best stuff being airborne gunships and so being unable to contest focal points. They tend to lose games if the destroyer/eviscerator dropships are killed and so they are isolated in a building.

This. Lots of focal point missions count infantry in buildings at double or triple value. UCM have typically been stuck with mostly cheap chaff infantry so didn't benefit as much.

Scourge squishyness is always going to be an issue, I'm teaching myself to conserve my troops more in focal point missions even with my PHR so I guess Scourge players need to be extra careful.