Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't really need to say this but the music in this game kicks rear end. I should download one of those mega collections of Ys music some day for commuting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy cow Toal is the most fun Ys character ever

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i still have to beat Origin. I am so bad at finishing games

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Holy cow Toal is the most fun Ys character ever

lookin forward to your reaction to the bonus boss you can only fight as Toal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump for Ys VIII: The Lacrimosa of Dana release hype!!! It's next week! I'll be importing a copy so I doubt I'll have it day of but I'll post my thoughts whenever I get around to playing it. There was a interview with the lead director in Japanese and people have been circulating this summary http://gematsu.com/2016/07/ys-viii-40-60-hours-long-trails-cold-steel-iii-launches-2017-japan

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

40 to 60 hours? :dogbutton:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's going to be awesome skipping all the story because I can't read any of it and then buying it again in 2017 and doing all 60+ hours for the platinum

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is this a general purpose falcom thread? If so, I want to say that Legacy of the Wizard was a dope as poo poo NES game, ton of metroidy exploration and multiple characters that played completely different.

Except for using a 32 character password system, that was rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Basically yeah. I picked up the Brandish PSP remake on sale last week but I couldn't get past the first level.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

legacy of the wizard is a shitload of rear end

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like ys but there is no way in hell i'll play a 60-80 hour ys game

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

legacy of the wizard is a shitload of rear end

By rear end you mean a great soundtrack and being an invincible pink bubble bobble guy.

Any conceivable reason to consider playing the SNES Ys III instead of Oath in Felghana?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a very different game and would cool to try both really. I never beat the SNES one but it's quite different (2D side scrolling vs 3D combat of Oath)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

P-Mack posted:

By rear end you mean a great soundtrack and being an invincible pink bubble bobble guy.

Any conceivable reason to consider playing the SNES Ys III instead of Oath in Felghana?

the pink bubble guy can't jump or something iirc and you have to use every character to clear the game if you can find your way thru the psycho europlatformer maze made up of 500 individual screens

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

It's a very different game and would cool to try both really. I never beat the SNES one but it's quite different (2D side scrolling vs 3D combat of Oath)

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

side scrolling ys 3 has kind of annoying leveling up mechanics wher you go from doing 0 damage to bosses to a million damage after grinding for an hour

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the early Ys games have that problem yeah

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

All the early Ys games have that problem yeah

Ys I and II do not. At least the versions I played didn't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah they've been good about revisiting and rebalancing/remaking Ys 1 through 7 to be more sane. The version of 1+2 on Steam is much better than the original ones (I've only seen videos of those because I don't know how to emulate Japanese PCs from the 80s)

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

i played Ys I on steam and it definitely had that problem. the first boss went from needing about a hundred hits to kill to 5 after i leveled up a few times

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it takes much longer in the old ones to get the levels iirc i haven't played them in 50 years

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

drat i forgot how badass the ys utopia site and forums are

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

http://www.ysutopia.net/projects/ys4/ download the ys iv:dawn of ys patch and open several pages on the ysutopia site in multipe tabs to relive the 90s today

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

doesn't dawn of Ys suck rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've thought about diving down the insane rabbit hole and trying to play every version of every Ys game ever, and now that I'm unemployed and living in my moms basement hell, what better time to start.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the pc engine version is a pretty good game, the snes port of ys iv is garbage. ys v is an snes exclusive and also a piece of crap.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

i played Ys I on steam and it definitely had that problem. the first boss went from needing about a hundred hits to kill to 5 after i leveled up a few times

Well it doesn't take an hour to level in ys I at least. The enemies right before darm tower give tons of xp.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I've thought about diving down the insane rabbit hole and trying to play every version of every Ys game ever, and now that I'm unemployed and living in my moms basement hell, what better time to start.

I tried playing SNES ys III and I fell asleep

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=448.0 this guy is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't beat any of them probably but I'd like to at least see them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that's the guy who runs the website and is completely prodromal. I love him

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

that's the guy who runs the website and is completely prodromal. I love him

i forgot how completely insane he is

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
lmao nightwolve rules

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's right XSeed localizes all those insane vita pedo dungeon crawlers

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

those are also the only games for vita so it's not like they have a choice

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knd4oW-RpbU

YS 8 MOTHER TRUCKERS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just got confirmation that my copy is arriving tomorrow. Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My first physical vita game since I first got the system 4 years ago

• Locked thread