Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I think that's the Archbishop of Canturbery

oh does she also collect incomes from religious tithing and have undue influence on church dogma as well? hosed up imo

e: lol jesus she really is the 'Supreme Governor of the CoE'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Governor_of_the_Church_of_England

wtf

hahahahahahaha your loving PM is advised by church leaders she appoints what in the actual gently caress UK

Medieval divorce was a serious business ok ?! Stop judging !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Do you think the Queen of England has an sa account?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I thought Lowtax is the queen of England.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, to recap, the royal family:

- collects rent from crown lands and takes a large chunk of them for their own before passing on the rest to the UK (about $170m) a year

- collects a sovereign grant to the tune of $40m pounds

- requires security and other miscellaneous expenses to be paid for by local governments to the tune of $200-300m pounds a year (London Metro alone pays $100m/yr just to protect 21 royals including the queen)

- has lobbying influence over your parliament

- is the leader of the church of england, and as such enjoys the privilege of appointing church leaders with the only check (as far as I can tell) being the PM going 'no please don't' which she can just dgaf about. those church leaders also have influence over parliament

- makes up for all this by boosting tourism

Am I missing something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
that sounds like a bargain for living withing her sovereign territory, if the people dont like it that can go to france

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

- collects rent from crown lands and takes a large chunk of them for their own before passing on the rest to the UK (about $170m) a year

- requires security and other miscellaneous expenses to be paid for by local governments to the tune of $200-300m pounds a year (London Metro alone pays $100m/yr just to protect 21 royals including the queen)

- is the leader of the church of england, and as such enjoys the privilege of appointing church leaders with the only check (as far as I can tell) being the PM going 'no please don't' which she can just dgaf about. those church leaders also have influence over parliament

Am I missing something?

sounds good to me, I'm fine with Britain having them

now, here's a crazy loving idea, but I think it's alright for countries to be different, as long as that difference doesn't involve things like genital mutilation and throwing gays off buildings

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

Am I missing something?

you forgot that she gets to appoint peers to the house of lords

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A big chunk of them are secret or overt atheists in the tradition of English enlightenment so that probably amounts to terse uncomfortable coughing and requesting signatures and making sure a name doesnt come up you recognize as that fuckman

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I IndyRef 2 gets a thread called "BREXIST WATCH".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

sounds good to me, I'm fine with Britain having them

now, here's a crazy loving idea, but I think it's alright for countries to be different, as long as that difference doesn't involve things like genital mutilation and throwing gays off buildings

they can have their royals, but I'ma make fun of them is all

euros poo poo talk the USA all the time turnabout is fair play

Rutibex posted:

you forgot that she gets to appoint peers to the house of lords

lol

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

they can have their royals, but I'ma make fun of them is all

lol

"But-but, it's not for really-real, you see?"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

"But-but, it's not for really-real, you see?"
I dunno with things like "swearing in" the PM and "picking" Lords it's more like how in theory, the head of the State Department personally scrutinises all the NSA watchlists or whatever but in reality they're like "yeah fuckin whatever go on then" and ticks a big old list.

The material stuff people should be annoyed about wrt the royals is their sketchy being able to ask to have a look at all the legislation in secret letters. Presumably they don't actually hold much sway? But it's rude to have that privilege imo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We have these people you see, with vestigial ceremonial duties that several countries fundamentally assume and rely on, we pay them money to frown at us have pretty weddings and have babies and also we maintain hosed arraingements with not insignificant crown lands being allowed to be taken away for good if we yank the rope away

This isnt hilarious or antiquated.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
It's a checks and balances thing. Having Royals around acts as a "check" against the possibility of a casteless society.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I agree, all countries should require genital mutilation and gay defenestration!

I'm a Saudi Prince ama.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

lol

This thread is about Brits and they ain't euros any more, they said so.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Dreddout posted:

I agree, all countries should require genital mutilation and gay defenestration!

I'm a Saudi Prince ama.

can I have a million dollars? I need it for, uh, bus fare

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If the anglosphere was the bush family the uk is loving jeb atm

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

If the anglosphere was the bush family the uk is loving Jeb! atm

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

can I have a million dollars? I need it for, uh, bus fare

Sure thing, buddy! I just meed your bank account and PIN number to finalize the transaction!

hemophilia posted:

If the anglosphere was the bush family the uk is loving jeb atm

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

We have these people you see, with vestigial ceremonial duties that several countries fundamentally assume and rely on, we pay them money to frown at us have pretty weddings and have babies and also we maintain hosed arraingements with not insignificant crown lands being allowed to be taken away for good if we yank the rope away

This isnt hilarious or antiquated.

I didn't even ask my wife's dad if I could marry her since she is a goddamn adult and we aren't in feudal times. Yet here we have a whole nation that runs on depreciated ceremony and "well, it is expensive, but our whole economy is built on selling Chinese people tchotchkes."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

If the anglosphere was the bush family the uk is loving Roger Clinton atm

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Threatening to take away the queen is to Brits what threatening to take away guns is to an American. It's only supported by people who secretly hate their country.

Until the queen dies and Charles becomes king and then vive la revolution

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
guns are grim death made steel and fire in a package comfortable enough to fit in your hand

the queen......... the queen?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

RobattoJesus posted:

Threatening to take away the queen is to Brits what threatening to take away guns is to an American. It's only supported by people who secretly hate their country.

Until the queen dies and Charles becomes king and then vive la revolution

gently caress that noise- skip that weenie, he can't even whack he own pecker, gotta get a manservant to help. We can skip that bald doofus and his flat assed wife while we are at it, and their boring kid

Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This thing made from the blood and sweat of men equal under the law transported by equal men to me that can bring justice in a flash when the laws of strong men can't and thats worse than the queen somehow. The british mind is awesome and leaves me humbled before God

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm for gun control, but LOL if you think I would choose gun control if it meant having some unelected genetic defects Keeping Up With The Kardashians on our dime

But enough about the Bushes, hahaha

Just kidding, royalty sucks

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I'm not comparing the queen to guns, I'm just saying that she's part of our national identity along with bad teeth and poo poo food in the same way that racism and a love of military grade weaponry is part of the American identity.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the main use of the royal family is to make other countries feel uncomfortable

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I do get the feeling that guns and royals are mutually exclusive tho.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the main use of the royal family is to make other countries feel uncomfortable

"Am I supposed to bow? No, right? That's dumb. Maybe curtsy? Do men curtsy? Can I just fist bump or some poo poo?"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm not comparing the queen to guns, I'm just saying that she's part of our national identity along with bad teeth and poo poo food in the same way that racism and a love of military grade weaponry is part of the American identity.

You think so but it is not so. Yall would still be british without the high pitch fop impersonation of royalty you will hear from americans until you murder your royalty. Imagine someone impersonating the queen through george Washington's wooden teeth for eternity. Welcome to hell :twisted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RobattoJesus posted:

the whole love of guns and personal arms thing was part of the british national identity too, up until about WW1. where do you think the americans got it from?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

hemophilia posted:

You think so but it is not so. Yall would still be british without the high pitch fop impersonation of royalty you will hear from americans until you murder your royalty. Imagine someone impersonating the queen through george Washington's wooden teeth for eternity. Welcome to hell :twisted:

The queen is just there to divert attention from our teeth.

Much better the Americans do the fop thing than taking a handful of mints and start spitting them everywhere shouting "cor blimey govnor me chompers are fallin out"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

the whole love of guns and personal arms thing was part of the british national identity too, up until about WW1. where do you think the americans got it from?

The constitution's bill of rights is basically a response to everything george and hos governors did to circumvent and undermine colonial authority including the 2nd amendment

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

god created men but sam colt made them equal

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I like how Britain had ww1 against a foreign threat and said yeah guns loving suck, the US killed like an entire generation of its own men in a war with itself and thinks guns are loving awesome.

America is like a hilarious idiot child that you can't help but love.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The Queen is a classy lady who went through WWII and she should finish her God anointed reign!
Charles should abdicate and move to his properties in Romania and play cricket with that country's ex royal family.

The Duke William will the enthroned in Glory and become the Monarch who will reforge the Empire

Rule, Britannia ! :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Chemical weapons and antiquated strategy running headlong into 20th century industrial tech made brits scared of firearms lol

BTW just letting you know the civil war happened because words had failed some people had onvested theor wealth into the ownership of people and would die to protect it so america had to shoot thinga (as usual :rolleyes:) after asking nicely failed.

• Locked thread