Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

kastein posted:

I usually buy from https://www.aspwholesale.com. they have a make/model/year lookup tool that is *mostly* accurate.

I read that as "asswipe wholesale" and had to doubletake...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

scuz posted:

So we looked at my buddy's 2002 VW 1.8T Jetta wagon's timing belt:

:stonk: Couldn't get the harmonic balancer off because one of the bolts was stuck and another was rounded off in the center. He drove it home (10 miles) and is getting into a shop ASAP. The Jetta has 241k miles on it and that is very likely the original belt.

*Yes, this is the same as the one on /r/justrolledintotheshop

Probably not the original as VW had a ration of poo poo when they first brought the 1.8t motor to the states because somebody decided that 100k km and 100k mi were the same thing and people were having belts fail at 80-85k miles and lunching the whole head. Still. You guys caught that thing with not much time to spare.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn that VW belt. I hope by drove it 10 miles you meant he just idled it 10 miles in gear without touching the accelerator.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nitrogen posted:

I read that as "asswipe wholesale" and had to doubletake...

"asswipe hole sale" :heysexy:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

How about a traditional taper bearing that, instead of being pre-loaded by the locknut, is instead pre-loaded by a shim of specific thickness which sits between the two bearings? Cause that's what a kia rio has!

loving hell, I'll never get the propensity to re-invent the wheel (lol) like this. Wheel bearings have been a solved problem for like a century, your special snowflake setup is not improving the situation at all.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Slavvy posted:

How about a traditional taper bearing that, instead of being pre-loaded by the locknut, is instead pre-loaded by a shim of specific thickness which sits between the two bearings? Cause that's what a kia rio has!

I've actually heard of that as a bandaid fix for lovely spindles in roadracing on little British cars - idea being that if you set the preload with shims you can torque the nut to the point where the spindle is in tension. Kia, employing racing fi... I can't even finish that sentence.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

mekilljoydammit posted:

I've actually heard of that as a bandaid fix for lovely spindles in roadracing on little British cars - idea being that if you set the preload with shims you can torque the nut to the point where the spindle is in tension. Kia, employing racing fi... I can't even finish that sentence.

Don't forget that the Rio is the same car where they thought would be a good idea to use 4 aluminum lug studs per wheel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
^ WHAT :psyboom:

Crustashio posted:

Yes, it's the saddle that holds the the tubing in place while it gets bent around the shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZg0pJbjYbE

Ours was a manual pump bender but the tooling is exactly the same. Greenlee still exists as a company so I'm hoping we can just buy the piece based off the part #. We ended up using the saddle for the next size up and a half moon 1.75 x 0.125 wall DOM to fit the 1.5 OD DOM.
That's an EMT bender, meant for extremely mild steel tubing like 30 thou thick (for 1" EMT, larger sizes are slightly thicker) including the galvanization... bender's made out of cast aluminum it looks like. it is going to keep breaking if you keep trying to bend DOM of almost any wall thickness with it. If you actually bent DOM with an EMT bender I'm gonna be real surprised.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm the legion of comments saying "This is just a bearing failure shaft had nothing to do with it. I took out the shaft from my [completely different vehicle] and drove it for thousands of miles with no problems."
Isn't that great? "well you see the timing chain on my 1965 350 SBC was fuckin easy man, what're you complaining about changing timing chains on a 4.0L SOHC V6?"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V415

nhtsa posted:

SUMMARY:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2007-2009 Audi A8 and S8 vehicles. The sunroof glass on the affected vehicles may not be properly secured to the sunroof frame. As a result, the sunroof glass may detach from the car while driving.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V487
Also apparently 482k prius' and their Lexus equivalent are getting recalled for a curtain airbag inflator which can be ejected into the cabin. This time not made by takata!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V401

nhtsa posted:

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) is recalling certain model year 2001-2002 Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus vehicles, equipped with beige interiors. The affected vehicles were previously repaired for a recall issue using an incorrect part. The incorrect part may not prevent the passenger side sun visor from detaching if the passenger frontal air bag deploys and the passenger side sun visor is folded down in a certain position.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the passenger side sun visor detaches and is propelled rearward, there is an increased risk of occupant injury.

I'm not sure if it should be here or the schadenfreude thread.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

Isn't that great? "well you see the timing chain on my 1965 350 SBC was fuckin easy man, what're you complaining about changing timing chains on a 4.0L SOHC V6?"

The stupidity of that engine is always fun to introduce to people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A suspicious person might come to the conclusion that vehicles in the 80's were safer than vehicles made since airbags were introduced. At least cars from back then didn't actively attempt to murder you in a collision.. it was more of an involuntary manslaughter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

it was more of a negligent manslaughter.

They didn't care that you died.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

A suspicious person might come to the conclusion that vehicles in the 80's were safer than vehicles made since airbags were introduced. At least cars from back then didn't actively attempt to murder you in a collision.. it was more of an involuntary manslaughter.

To be fair if you have a sebring with a beige interior maybe it's a mercy killing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Kind of amusing that it only affected the beige interiors? Could you even get them in any other color?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

To be fair if you have a sebring with a beige interior maybe it's a mercy killing.

:allears:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jokes?! On my humor forum?!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Speaking of Volkswagen timing belts, for several years there has been an epidemic of prematurely failed belts around few cities in northern Finland. The belt gears get coated with a brown powder that wear the gear teeth sharp and they end up breaking the belt. At one point it was suspected that the cause was tailings from a local steel mill that was used for road construction, but that was ruled out. Current theory is, that iron deposited from tire studs is the cause, and the epidemic is concentrated on large northern cities because studded tires are used longer in the north.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is an oddly specific failure mode, and I love it. Does anybody know of other seemingly-unrelated mechanical failure mysteries like that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

Speaking of Volkswagen timing belts, for several years there has been an epidemic of prematurely failed belts around few cities in northern Finland. The belt gears get coated with a brown powder that wear the gear teeth sharp and they end up breaking the belt. At one point it was suspected that the cause was tailings from a local steel mill that was used for road construction, but that was ruled out. Current theory is, that iron deposited from tire studs is the cause, and the epidemic is concentrated on large northern cities because studded tires are used longer in the north.

I would assume that rail dust would be just as bad for iron as carbide dust from the studs, mostly because it's way more common.

Plus most of my cars have studs and are ninety percent rust by volume so I'd probably have seen this by now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 11, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would assume that rail dust would be just as bad for iron as carbide dust from the studs, mostly because it's way more common.

Plus most of my cars have studs and are ninety percent rust by volume so I'd probably have seen this by now.

Are most of your cars volkswagens though?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ztFMJmc

I reckon a tree and one or two rollovers caused this failure.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Just one tree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYOjsWLFXM&t=78s

And from the comments, someone posted the video of them getting it back up and running in 30 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKBnPnYh8iw

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Im the guy wailing on the torque wrench at 15:10

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I would be surprised if there are any of those still on the road. Weren't those pretty much a rolling pile of electrical issues?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would any kind of environmental dust gather only on the cam gears and nowhere else? Cam gears aren't even really exposed to the environment, they have covers. And why would it only gather in side the timing mechanism of VWs?

I mean it would seem to me the simplest explanation would be that VW has hosed something up in their process of designing and building cars, but that's pretty implausible isn't it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Just one tree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYOjsWLFXM&t=78s

And from the comments, someone posted the video of them getting it back up and running in 30 minutes:

Why the gently caress do they have video stabilization on?! It makes me and everyone I've talked to seasick. Look especially at around 16:50, or any other time there's a plane with text on it in view. The stabilization tries to focus on the text and distorts everything. It's like looking through a squishy lens.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 12, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PhotoKirk posted:

I would be surprised if there are any of those still on the road. Weren't those pretty much a rolling pile of electrical issues?

And mechanical!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Throatwarbler posted:

Why would any kind of environmental dust gather only on the cam gears and nowhere else? Cam gears aren't even really exposed to the environment, they have covers. And why would it only gather in side the timing mechanism of VWs?

I mean it would seem to me the simplest explanation would be that VW has hosed something up in their process of designing and building cars, but that's pretty implausible isn't it?

That is a sane and reasonable assumption. However the problem with that theory is that the symptoms only exhibit in certain Oulu regions and nowhere else.

The powder collected from affected cars was found containing iron, aluminum, magnesium,
and silicon. The mill tailings were ruled out because the tailings contain chrome, which was absent from the dust.

VW decided to combat this by making the belt covers more air tight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

warcake posted:

Im the guy wailing on the torque wrench at 15:10

Factory racing budgets are a hell of a thing!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

Jokes?! On my humor forum?!

I meant that emoticon in the most appreciative way possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saukkis posted:

I don't know how quickly this causes wear, but wouldn't a heavy duty magnet mounted in that area collect up ferrous particulates like that fairly well?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kastein posted:

That's an EMT bender, meant for extremely mild steel tubing like 30 thou thick (for 1" EMT, larger sizes are slightly thicker) including the galvanization... bender's made out of cast aluminum it looks like. it is going to keep breaking if you keep trying to bend DOM of almost any wall thickness with it. If you actually bent DOM with an EMT bender I'm gonna be real surprised.

At least 6 cages have been made with that bender/shoe setup (and a few tested), some 1.5x0.095 and one or two 1.75. I don't doubt the piddly electric powered ram in the video wouldn't do it. The one they have is an old super heavy duty manual pump ram adapted to those shoes. I can barely lift the fucker.

The issue was we were trying to build templates to figure out the out of plane bends needed for the bars from the main hoop to the dash. Basically building a bunch of bends to certain angles and tacking stuff together to figure out how to get it tight to the roof/pillars and intersect with the rear downtubes. Didn't want to waste the DOM so we grabbed the crashbars we cut out of the door. After it broke I realized exactly why it broke. Definitely felt dumb after that, but it has no issue doing DOM.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 13, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus. That really surprises me. Oh well, guess I'm wrong :v:

I wonder what would happen if you tried to bend 0.120 wall instead of 0.095 though...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, my car kept wailing at me that the particulate filter ist getting clogged up and that i should really do something about that. So i put in a new one. When i managed to pry out the old one (what a loving pain in the rear end) i found an old friend:

Yep, that the turbine off my turbocharger. Luckily its not from the one installed right now but from the one that died 2012. So this thing has been banging around in there for 4 years now.
"But Shai," you say "if i now anything its exhaust systems off 2008 Peugeot diesel engines, and im pretty sure the catalytic converter is between the turbo and the filter!"

It sure is:

Thats gonna be fun when the next emissions test comes around...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:lol: that's awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy poo poo. That thing had to be really moving when it let go to cut through the cat like that. :stonkhat:

When was the last emissions check? I kinda wonder how dirty/clean it's running with that hole.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Last August. Which was when the guy who did it for me called and told me that its not gonna pass but he'll see if can find out why and fix it. A couple days later i got the car back with a clean slate.
Pretty sure some of the money i paid for the work he did to it went into some TÜV inspectors pocket...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Wolfsbane posted:

I'n gonna leave this playing over lunch tomorrow in case I'm lacking motivation that day.

I think the best bit is the 5 minutes at the end they spend trying to precision sledge-hammer the boot opening back into shape before deciding gently caress it and putting the ratchet strap around it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My buddy's early 00's A4 keeps eating cats; it plugged two and the most recent one had holes in it. He just keeps replacing the drat things and refuses to look at his turbos or his exhaust system any higher up than the catalytic converter. I guess it's technically saving money in the short term, but one of these days I'm waiting to hear complaints about his car sounding like a dentist drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

I'n gonna leave this playing over lunch tomorrow in case I'm lacking motivation that day.

I think the best bit is the 5 minutes at the end they spend trying to precision sledge-hammer the boot opening back into shape before deciding gently caress it and putting the ratchet strap around it.

I really enjoyed the military drill brake bleeding.