Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked what they did with Zemo. The comic version isn't super well known by most people so it's nice that they went for something different.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of mention during the scene where Ross shows that video about how many people they saved in NYC by preventing its destruction. Or how if they hadn't been in Sokovia the entire continent or more would have been wiped out.

And yes, the pro-Accord side leaves out that SHIELD, who was supposed to regulate the Avengers and others, was infiltrated for decades by HYDRA.

Tony was directly responsible for Sokovia, though, if the Avengers weren't a thing that whole incident would never have happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's not the Spider-Bike!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New 52 Spider-Man costume looking good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Squizzle posted:

I had a p. long text message conversation about Civil War's thematic consistency and about the problem trying to join superhero genre tropes with reality-based politics, but the conversation here was drowning in brown Ayn Rand grimace movies at the time, so I didn't try to say much about it here.
I tend to separate the two, especially with the Winter Soldier where people think the movie was ruined because god forbid Hydra be behind the conspiracy to take over the world.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like it's easier to talk about why I didn't like a movie and its flaws. I really liked Civil War, so most of what I want to say about it is just "It was awesome! Remember the part?!" Plus I only saw it once, so I'd need to go again to pick out flaws.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked the part where they fought

And then that chase scene where they fight

And then that other time they fight

And that other other time they fight too

Oh and a bunch of other stuff

site fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 14, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lurdiak posted:

They also make the conflict almost entirely devoid of ideology. Tony and Cap's actions (supporting the accord, going after bucky in spite of the crisis, wanting to kill bucky because 'he killed my mommy') are driven entirely by personal emotions and they get mad at each other for same. There are a few extremely vague lines of dialogue where they make their case but it's far from being the driving force of the film as the title would suggest.
I see this as a feature, not a bug.

One of the themes of the film I really liked is that it asks the audience and the characters, "It's sooo f'ing easy to talk ideology and rationality and accountability when the stakes aren't personal, isn't it?" The high road is easy to walk when it doesn't actually affect you, or when it even works in your favor. Everyone pro-Accord character can roll their eyes and lecture at Cap from their high horse about how irresponsible he's being on Bucky's behalf, but then the minute that something becomes personal for the individual (Tony, for instance) they too will just throw out all sense and sensibility to do whatever impulsive irresponsible thing they want to do.

To take it further, it even reflects back on Steve and Tony's kerfuffles in Age of Ultron, where Steve and Thor and whoever else gets to act sanctimonious and preachy at Tony for making these mistakes but like, they weren't in his position. They didn't experience what he did. They're not wrong for reacting as they did but, man, how the turntables, eh?

Ideologies can be interesting, but they can't support a movie without personal stakes. So like, yeah, Civil War is absolutely not a film about ideology and more about personal emotions, personal grief, and how those things are throwing these volatile characters into conflict with one another. It is, in many ways, more of a genuine tragedy than a lot of other similar stories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt the Anti-Accords side was reacting less to the accords themselves, but going against how the Accords were making the others behave. Remember Cap's "no gently caress this poo poo" moment is not about Bucky, but about Wanda being placed under essentially house arrest, her only real crime was lack of experience, and that she still lessened Crossbones attempt to kill as many people as possible.

If they had just put Bucky in a prison and while Wanda was benched but still free to come and go as she wanted, Cap would not have go against Tony in the way he did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lack of experience, and murder.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Manslaughter at best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Negligence causing death, but any lawyer worth their salt would be able to point out Crossbones would have killed way more people if he bomb had gone off on the ground.

Hopefully Jen is on retainer for the Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was either let her try or guaranteed death of dozens at least in the marketplace. A total no win situation. Forcing responsibility on her for that is dumb.

I'm guessing no one knows Stark is behind ultron save for the avengers because you'd think after that the govt wouldn't let him near a computer ever again if they're putting the screws to Wanda that hard.

Another thing is that wakanda wanted the clamp down on the avengers after this incident but i guess didn't mind the hulk and iron man wrecking a downtown area in aou i guess?

site fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 14, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They caused Crossbones to do it in the first place. They're all responsible for every death that day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanda was also under house arrest because she was the one being blamed for the incident and people were upset and panicking and having her go out for groceries risked causing a huge incident.

Like yes, it sucks that happened, but it wasn't "it's all Wanda's fault and gently caress her" it was "poo poo is very bad and Wanda going out risks causing people to panic" which is not cool of Tony but is not Tony singlehandedly blaming Wanda for the incident either. Tony wasn't even particularly blaming Wanda, he was (correctly) pointing out that she was currently a pretty dangerous public figure. It doesn't make it fair he did it without telling her or without giving her a choice but still.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kaesarsosei posted:

The reason I wonder about this is because this thread seems to spend what to me seems a lot more time discussing the DCU movies than Marvel.

There's probably a good a reason for this. EDIT: I had more here, but to sum up in one sentence:

It is way more interesting to discuss the company that is making bad decisions than the one that is making good ones.

or to quote George Carlin:

If you're in a bar, and you see a guy, reading a book, not bothering anyone, and you got another guy, banging on the window with a machete yelling "I'll kill the next mother fucker that comes in here!" - Who you gonna watch?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 18, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Wanda was also under house arrest because she was the one being blamed for the incident and people were upset and panicking and having her go out for groceries risked causing a huge incident.

Like yes, it sucks that happened, but it wasn't "it's all Wanda's fault and gently caress her" it was "poo poo is very bad and Wanda going out risks causing people to panic" which is not cool of Tony but is not Tony singlehandedly blaming Wanda for the incident either. Tony wasn't even particularly blaming Wanda, he was (correctly) pointing out that she was currently a pretty dangerous public figure. It doesn't make it fair he did it without telling her or without giving her a choice but still.

This is consistently one of Tony's character flaws. In his own movies and in the crossovers. He feels like he's doing whatever it is he's doing for the greater good. And he's right a fair bit of the time, but if he just ASKED before he did things, he'd probably get a lot further. He could sit Wanda down and explain things, but that takes effort and time, so gently caress that. Vision can just hold her there til I tell him not to. If something's a problem, chuck a robot at it. That's Tony Stark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

If they had just put Bucky in a prison and while Wanda was benched but still free to come and go as she wanted, Cap would not have go against Tony in the way he did.
Well, maybe Cap wouldn't have gone against Tony this time, in that hypothetically acceptable compromise. But that's the thing right? Steve said it himself: he's never gonna ignore something if he thinks it's wrong, so what happens the next time they're forced into a difficult situation like this -- because there will always be a next time -- and things don't get resolved in the exact acceptable way that Steve would be able to bear? Especially if it hinges on Tony to find that compromise, because the fact is that, for all Tony's fancy give-and-take speeches about ideology, he's just as hard-line uncompromising about things as Cap is and gets just as testy when things don't go precisely the way he likes.

All that said, I don't think the film is saying that the dichotomy between their ideologies and personal interests are really as drastic as all that, but that there's necessarily a point where personal interests will fundamentally win out, and that's true for everyone and not just Cap and Tony.

Man, this was a good film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

site posted:

Another thing is that wakanda wanted the clamp down on the avengers after this incident but i guess didn't mind the hulk and iron man wrecking a downtown area in aou i guess?

That was in South Africa not Wakanda

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

All that said, I don't think the film is saying that the dichotomy between their ideologies and personal interests are really as drastic as all that, but that there's necessarily a point where personal interests will fundamentally win out, and that's true for everyone and not just Cap and Tony.

There is no such thing as political/ideological interests as opposed to personal interests. This is one of the basic tenets of feminist thought for example:

Carol Hanisch posted:

One of the first things we discover in these groups is that personal problems are political problems. There are no personal solutions at this time. There is only collective action for a collective solution. I went, and I continue to go to these meetings because I have gotten a political understanding which all my reading, all my “political discussions,” all my “political action,” all my four-odd years in the movement never gave me. I’ve been forced to take off the rose colored glasses and face the awful truth about how grim my life really is as a woman. I am getting a gut understanding of everything as opposed to the esoteric, intellectual understandings and noblesse oblige feelings I had in “other people’s” struggles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

That was in South Africa not Wakanda

Wakanda only caring about Wakandans is consistent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/753809579813670913
:allears:

Gal looks amazing. Really hope the WW trailer drops at Comic-Con and they release it online.

[edit] High-res versions

[edit] hi-res versions

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 15, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kinda hoping she would be in soldierwear and then level up to the awesome god-armour, but maybe that would be too CapAmerica?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Does her expression ever change?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"The first female superhero to land her own film"

Someone needs to work on their research.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I gotta say, I think that she looks good and that costume design works.

But I'm unfortunately still hesitant to put any faith in DC movies just yet. I hope I hear good things about this one and I may actually see it in theaters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Not remembering Catwoman and Elektra is a credit to their research, not a slight.

Honestly those characters were more...I dunno, scoundrels and antiheroes than classical superheroes anyway.

Costume looks a bit weird in that first picture but real bright and shiny in the others, which is nice.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does her expression ever change?

Four pictures, four different expressions. Are you incapable of differentiating facial expressions? Or is it just when they're not cartoonishly exaggerated?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Not remembering Catwoman and Elektra is a credit to their research, not a slight.

Honestly those characters were more...I dunno, scoundrels and antiheroes than classical superheroes anyway.

Costume looks a bit weird in that first picture but real bright and shiny in the others, which is nice.

Supergirl still counts as a classic superhero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Four pictures, four different expressions. Are you incapable of differentiating facial expressions? Or is it just when they're not cartoonishly exaggerated?

Could you post these pics thanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

The movie played both straight up as heroes as far as I remember tho.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

I'm the tiny Lynda Carter

Is it weird that I'm more jazzed for this than I was for any of the Superman/Batman movies of the last 5 years?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tim Gunn's begun lightly stirring the hype pot for GotG2

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/753827968665853952

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

his name is right there

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Now I'm wishing that Tim Gunn was involved with GOTG somehow.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
"I want you to turn this drab, old Infinity Gauntlet into a superb, refined Infinity Scarf. Make it work!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick Sanchez posted:

"I want you to turn this drab, old Infinity Gauntlet into a superb, refined Infinity Scarf. Make it work!"

Gonna read every post you make in rick's voice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sion posted:

I'm the tiny Lynda Carter

Is it weird that I'm more jazzed for this than I was for any of the Superman/Batman movies of the last 5 years?

Not weird at all, WW is better than either of those clowns and Zack Snyder isn't directing this one.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

CelticPredator posted:

Gonna read every post you make in rick's voice.

I have no problem with this

Lick, lick, lick my baaaaalls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
When are we going to get a grounded, realistic, and gritty reboot of Project Runway???

• Locked thread