Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sombra's teasers are all in dorado, Ana's teasers were all in Egypt. Ana's back story of laying low after choosing not to kill widowmaker means its not very likely that when reaper says "where's sombra when you need her", hes probably not talking about Ana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

She can put a mech (and its pilot) to sleep by shooting it with a dart. So much disrespect for immersion.

You know, there's a severe lack of jokes about Ana's depth perception.
she actually doesn't put (in-mech) D.Va to sleep; you can make D.Va jiggle her joysticks uselessly

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If Ana and Sombra were the same character you'd think Blizzard would have said something about it during the data dump about the new character they've been dropping this week. Not saying anything just leads to fans obsessing further about the mystery character, and if they come back in a month and say 'oh yeah that was Ana sorry we forgot to mention it' they'll look really dumb.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

We had a whole bunch of hints that people bundled up into one hero, and when a new hero is announced people have trouble separating the hints that apply to ana from the hints that apply to Sombra.

There was also a new hint in Ana's reveal trailer or wherever it was for Sombra. I'm not sure why you would associate someone talking about the power of information in Spanish with an Egyptian grandma, but it'll all settle out eventually.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just had a 16 year old on my team in comp wailing at us on voice to push harder because "GUYS I HAVE TO GO TO BASEBALL PRACTICE HURRYYY gently caress IT IM LEAVING IF YOU DONT TOUCH THE PAYLOADDD", I wish I'd recorded it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think it's cute that Ana tells justice to take a nap when she tranqs Pharah.

edit: also, is Ana a common(ish) Egyptian name? I know it comes from Hebrew and poo poo, but I always associate it to Latinos.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 13, 2016

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I hope Sombra is a l33t h4x0r given the IT theme of her hints.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

edit: also, is Ana a common(ish) Egyptian name? I know it comes from Hebrew and poo poo, but I always associate it to Latinos.

From what my friend said, it isn't a name used in Arabic; it just means "I am".

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Calling it now - Sombra is an omnic.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

gandlethorpe posted:

I hope Sombra is a l33t h4x0r given the IT theme of her hints.

Remote hack bastions and torb turrets! :unsmigghh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

From what my friend said, it isn't a name used in Arabic; it just means "I am".

So she is Amari. Which, by the way, apparently means immortal. Hmm.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ana means mother in Turkish. It's canon now she is Turkish.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Runefaust posted:

Calling it now - Sombra is an omnic.

Living flesh over an omnic skeleton. Sombra-800

KoB
May 1, 2009
Torb/Sym/Junkrat/Hog are not badguys, they are just bad guys.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

Remote hack bastions and torb turrets! :unsmigghh:

An ability that temporarily switched the loyalty of enemy turrets would be hilarious but sadly not that broadly useful considering that only two heroes in the game make them, if it were a more limited pool like in TF2 then it'd be more likely to be applicable. I wonder if it would be good, bad, or indifferent for a character to have an ability of some sort that made them read as a friendly member of the enemy team...not a disguise but just "this person is on your side" for activated abilities, so a Zenyatta couldn't throw an orb of discord on them, turrets wouldn't shoot at them, and enemies could accidentally hit you with beneficial effects if they weren't careful and just mashed the button when the prompt came up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Sombra will be able to walk on walls a la Link Between Worlds.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Brannock posted:

Sombra will be able to walk on walls a la Link Between Worlds.

Now I want some kind of spider tank hero that just moves around on walls while her view points "up" and away from the wall.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

This looks interesting. Apparently, hitboxes are changed on the PTR. Video demonstrates Hanzo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aQTmb6QpI&feature=youtu.be

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Do major patches only go live on Tuesdays?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I play on PS4 and I was wondering which hero's you guys think are the strongest to play independent of idiotic team comps during solo queue? I generally like to play Lucio if the team comp seems somewhat sensible and I'm pretty good with him to boot. Phara had been pretty good for me as well as 76. That said I'm not that good at aiming so anytime that requires that probably isn't right for me. I pretty much slam pick Torjborn on defense make which always makes me feel a little dirty but my numbers are usually better than other turreteers, probably because I don't just stand there and hump my turret the whole time.

On a related note, again given the assumption that my team comp is horrible, what is the best pick to help my team break out of the starting area on Gibraltar? I try Reinhardt but with the above assumption my team is usually really bad at actually taking advantage of my shield.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MY ABACUS! posted:

Do major patches only go live on Tuesdays?

Yeah

DrSeRRoD posted:

This looks interesting. Apparently, hitboxes are changed on the PTR. Video demonstrates Hanzo.

Wow that's a huge difference. Selfishly hoping it's just for Hanzo and not all projectiles.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I could see Sombra having a passive "automated defenses ignore me", an activated ability seems wasteful.

I could see Sombra having a kind of Loki (Warframe) ability set. I'd transfer teleport switch mostly unchanged, usable on allies or enemies. Decoy would work similar as well, maybe with two weak decoys instead of one decent one so she can pull an escape. Give her a futuristic suppressed SMG with RMB that shoots a dart that blinds a target for 2-3 seconds.

Ultimate could be snatching an enemy ult and all the stored charge, or maybe screwing with the visual models so the enemy only sees Sombras.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DrSeRRoD posted:

Hanzo definitely needed the nerf

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minrad posted:

Now I want some kind of spider tank hero that just moves around on walls while her view points "up" and away from the wall.

For those unaware, there was some early concept art on display in the background of the Overwatch panel at Blizzcon that showed a giant spider tank being damage boosted by Mercy.

That'd be hilarious if spider tank turns out to be Sombra, lmao.

[edit] Found the source of those images that details the Cyborg Spider Lady that could be Sombra: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3pke60/cyborg_spiderbeetle_woman/

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 14, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll play the fuckin' spuder tank

i'll MAIN the fuckin spider-killer and you cannot stop me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zoness posted:

there are so many regional dialects of mandarin that it's not hard to imagine that someone with a strong regional dialect would have a hard time understanding mei's more standard enunciation.

like chinese 'arabic' is actually a bunch of more or less mutually unintelligible languages. unlike mandarin which is just one dialect picked as official standard arabic is an artifical, dialect-neutral language created by going back to liturgical classical arabic and simplifying it. egyptian arabic isn't nearly the worst even, what they speak in north africa/algeria/morocco might as well be some sort of moon language compared to standard arabic

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

teagone posted:

For those unaware, there was some early concept art on display in the background of the Overwatch panel at Blizzcon that showed a giant spider tank being damage boosted by Mercy.

That'd be hilarious if spider tank turns out to be Sombra, lmao.

[edit] Found the source of those images that details the Cyborg Spider Lady that could be Sombra: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3pke60/cyborg_spiderbeetle_woman/

It looks like the spider has tiny lil babies going out from underneath it- tiny lil remote mines or dots? All concept art but seeds of ideas are planted, could amount to something.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This game is a blast. Really enjoy playing as Mei / D'Va. Got my first Play of the Game with D'Va last night,
https://streamable.com/yii0
:getin:

Looking forward to the D'Va boosts in the upcoming patch.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I play on PS4 and I was wondering which hero's you guys think are the strongest to play independent of idiotic team comps during solo queue? I generally like to play Lucio if the team comp seems somewhat sensible and I'm pretty good with him to boot. Phara had been pretty good for me as well as 76. That said I'm not that good at aiming so anytime that requires that probably isn't right for me. I pretty much slam pick Torjborn on defense make which always makes me feel a little dirty but my numbers are usually better than other turreteers, probably because I don't just stand there and hump my turret the whole time.

On a related note, again given the assumption that my team comp is horrible, what is the best pick to help my team break out of the starting area on Gibraltar? I try Reinhardt but with the above assumption my team is usually really bad at actually taking advantage of my shield.

I play PS 4 as well and find 76, Pharah and Lucio are good anytime Heros since I also have mediocre aim.

Junkrat is loving awesome. Controller doesn't limit him at all and he's a blast. I also spam pick Torb - his rivet gun is really good and if you just pepper choke points and move around it's pretty effective. Rein on payload maps can solo win I find at my scrub tier.

Trying to get good at Zarya and Tracer but I can't really accomplish that much with them.

TLDR - me too!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DrSeRRoD posted:

gently caress yes, eat poo poo seagull

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Soothing Vapors posted:

gently caress yes, eat poo poo seagull

Seagull is just going to play other heroes.

This will wreck Hanzo though. Guess after fixing up Zenyatta they had to remove another hero!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I get the feeling Ana was originally meant to be Sombra, but for whatever reason they decided to go a different direction with the character's name and appearance. Probably a good idea in the long run since an Egyptian sniper going by a Spanish callsign doesn't make a lot of sense. All of the stuff originally teasing Ana also had her rocking her Shrike mask, which doesn't seem to have any lore or purpose outside of being an epic skin.

A few of the details are slightly off, but that silhouette for Ana and Sombra line-up almost perfectly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im really sad that hanzo's hitboxes were made tighter *makes a really sad face but is clearly holding back joyous laughter*

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Will Hanzo mains notice that the hitboxes got smaller and switch to other heroes?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

im really sad that hanzo's hitboxes were made tighter *makes a really sad face but is clearly holding back joyous laughter*

im very sad people will drop the hanzo too

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

Will Hanzo mains notice that the hitboxes got smaller and switch to other heroes?

Probably not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
McCree got buffed, Hanzo's arrow hitbox got fixed.

This is a great day. Now I won't die to a toe-shot after double-tapping Hanzo in the head from 20 meters away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

vulturesrow posted:

I am curious what people think too.

I'm bad at this game, so take this with a grain of salt, it might only work on the low level I'm at, but I've had some luck helping the Gibraltar trap break by dropping discord bubbles on the defense, making it easier for the people attacking flanks (who I drop the nice orbs on) to break through the initial point. Then once the payload moves beyond that point I switch to another support I'm more comfortable with.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 14, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Countblanc posted:

You guys know all those Hanzo mains will now pick Widowmaker instead right. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Soldier, Zarya and Roadhog are all classic carry heroes. Soldier and Roadhog because they have large damage and self-sufficiency and Zarya because she can capitalize on your team's stupid mistakes (running into Bastion constantly) to turn into a murder machine.

keyframe posted:

You guys know all those Hanzo mains will now pick Widowmaker instead right. :gonk:

If they were any good they'd have picked her to begin with.