Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Daxing Dan posted:

After numerous delays and setbacks, I took it upon myself to finalize JJCA's Vento Aureo batch releases. Our colleague Bracketier has kindly uploaded them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/759d1q9gun0ehow/AACVrZcoYCQdYXj8tOWtWFuYa?dl=0
https://mega.nz/#F!2Mp3jABC!fY2NM3e71N_FHE-9FkZG2Q

The batch version has a number of changes and I think it's highly worth a re-read:

-Script fixes: I've revised the script several more times to improve the dialogue and fix errors in grammar and translation. Specifically, Volume 53 and before should be a lot more readable now, because JJCA's initial releases for those used a non-proofread translation and a non-proofread typesetting job that resulted in a double serving of typos and mistakes. I feel some guilt for not being more involved back then, so I'm glad to be able to wash my hands of that embarrassment now.

-Araki's comments retranslated: Originally, JJCA borrowed translations for the cover-flap comments from the Jojo Wikia, until I checked them and realized that they were, to put it lightly, machine-translated garbage. So, I threw them out and wrote my own translations. (For fun: compare them here)

-The Sex Pistols' names: JJCA's initial releases used Italian numbers for the Sex Pistols' names due to a misunderstanding on the part of our editor. I finally managed to convince him that he should fix his mistakes instead of doubling down on them, and as such the Sex Pistols' names have been switched back to No. 1, No. 2, and so on.

In addition, we have six new chapters that are almost ready for release. Expect to see them soon*.
*Timespan measured by JJCA standards.
Love you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every day Part V comes closer to being readable

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volume title is something like Working Hard or Walking Hato, so a variation of that is probably Hato's stand name.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Beware the stand of hato hikashigata, [DANCING QUEEN]

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Volume title is something like Working Hard or Walking Hato, so a variation of that is probably Hato's stand name.

Those colors, oh my god

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Damo is too beautiful

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Really glad Araki drew Damo like he did and not just another weird lookin dude like Polpo or Carne

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I miss Damo already

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Damo was seriously one of the best parts of Part 8 straight-up, gonna miss that dude and I hope our real main villain can live up to his legacy

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The artist's whole Tumblr is actually pretty adorable.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 14, 2016

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

mr. stefan posted:

Beware the stand of hato hikashigata, [DANCING QUEEN]

Daiyas still had King in her stand name.

Ive been wondering whats up with Tsurugi since his stand is Paper Moon and doesnt fit the naming scheme. Maybe hes a bastard?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean, it's called Paper Moon King. It's Only A Paper Moon was recorded by Nat King Cole

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Welp, there goes that idea. IDK where I got it in my head that it was Paper Moon

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Welp, there goes that idea. IDK where I got it in my head that it was Paper Moon

e: I wasnt aware you could even double post by clicking the post button too fast anymore

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Meme Emulator posted:

Daiyas still had King in her stand name.

Ive been wondering whats up with Tsurugi since his stand is Paper Moon and doesnt fit the naming scheme. Maybe hes a bastard?

You're missing a word. It's 「Paper Moon King」.

The pattern varies by generation:

Gen 1: King ___
Gen 2: ___ King
Gen 3: ___ ___ King

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joshuu kinda breaks this by having Nut King Call and also Daiya has California King Bed

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Meme Emulator posted:

The king was added to the full volumes: it was simply Paper Moon in the original magazine

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Joshuu kinda breaks this by having Nut King Call and also Daiya has California King Bed

It still fits in that King is the second word.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Check out Jotaro.

https://twitter.com/hanimu2111/status/753417560314392577

(the fact that it's his let's go hunting outfit makes me think they'll end up doing all his wardrobe changes and gives me hope for rohan!)

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 14, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Give me the Part 4 LINE stickers on the US shop

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does this happen anymore in any of the later parts?

I mean, I know there was 'Hello, I am your Stand, call me Spice Girl, I make things soft.' in Part 5 but does that continue any further than that?

edit: People having conversations with their Stands, Christ, I keep leaving out important details in my posts!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't remember so I feel like no?

More LINE stickers - Reimi's there.

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/753441397605150720

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think steel ball run ever really had that unless you count tusk saying weird jesus poo poo, because a lot of stands in it were kind of more low key in a way and there weren't as many humanoid ones. jojolion also has a high amount of people already starting out with their stands, and paisley park/nut king call don't seem to have ever said anything.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Paisley Park seems to have some sort of mind of it's own. Like when Yasuho opens Jobin's car and it's already just chilling in there and gives Yasuho something.

Baby Face from Part 5 was also a Stand centered around talking with it's user

e:

WrightOfWay posted:

It still fits in that King is the second word.
lol I'm dumb and keep thinking Daiya, Joshuu and Tsurugi are the third generation even though that makes no sense. I guess because Jobin looks so much older

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 14, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hey Ya! and Pocoloco talk in the first stage of SBR

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In fact, a databook revealed that Hey Ya!'s only ability is to give Pocoloco pep talks.

The rest is all him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
tusk sometimes says "chumimi~in" so it's really the wisest of all Stands

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hey Ya! and Pocoloco talk in the first stage of SBR

Begemot posted:

In fact, a databook revealed that Hey Ya!'s only ability is to give Pocoloco pep talks.

The rest is all him.

How the gently caress did I forget that, I was just reading it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Sex Pistols talk a lot.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Reminder that Tusk Act 4 is immune to The World's stopped time and is very cute while doing so

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What does act 4 even do again?

Like, it's something about mathematically perfect infinity but what?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
From my really bad memory, basically horses at full run produce the rotational energy of the golden rectangle naturally, so Johnny firing a nail bullet with the Spin while riding a horse makes it crazy, and all that Spin energy combined creates Infinite Spin which is what allows Tusk to break through D4C Love Train and get to Alt Diego through the stopped time. also it was very good at punching

It was always Act 2 and 3 that were confusing to me. Johnny can control the holes his nails make and then shoot himself to put himself in the hole to pop out?

The Spin was weird because it felt vague enough to do Literally Whatever and you never really got a firm grasp of it, but at the same time, very specific and consistent in how it was used, it's cool

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

It punches.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FirstAidKite posted:

It basically kills you forever across all dimensions no matter what.

If it punches a thing, that thing is destroyed forever, everywhere, always. It can also move in stopped time and across dimensions. Valentine even tried to like get in a car and it destroyed the car and then kept killing him. The only way to stop it is to either be destroyed or cut off the body part that was effect fast enough.

It's weird because Ball Breaker was also based on 「 perfect rotation」, but it just ages a target until they wither away to nothing rather than tearing them apart. I guess it's because Gyro's spin is technically based on medicine while Johnny's is based on his desire to loving murder the poo poo outta people.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Begemot posted:

It basically kills you forever across all dimensions no matter what.

If it punches a thing, that thing is destroyed forever, everywhere, always. It can also move in stopped time and across dimensions. Valentine even tried to like get in a car and it destroyed the car and then kept killing him. The only way to stop it is to either be destroyed or cut off the body part that was effect fast enough.

It's weird because Ball Breaker was also based on 「 perfect rotation」, but it just ages a target until they wither away to nothing rather than just tearing them apart. I guess it's because Gyro's spin is technically based on medicine while Johnny's is based on his desire to loving murder the poo poo outta people.

Man, Johnny's so cool.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Johnny's the best JoJo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gryo's Ball Breaker wasn't a perfect rotation when it hit Valentine so it utterly hosed him despite not being perfect. It would have killed Valentine if it were.

Considering Act 4's in JoJolion, it's probably more akin to "uses the power of infinite rotation to achieve the users wishes" on a meta GER levels of broken sense. Cos it makes no sense that Johnny can pop his kid in the head and then have it transfer the curse from the kid to the wife if it just kills things, but if he's using infinite power to re-write logical things to "transfer a curse", "move in stopped time", it makes more sense across SBR and JJL.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Moltrey posted:

Baby Face from Part 5 was also a Stand centered around talking with it's user

Baby Face is quite certainly my least favorite Stand ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Baby Face was honestly a pretty neat stand in concept, but the way it develops is kinda lame and it doesn't help that's also when Giorno's power just starts showing that it's a really silly abstract stand that can do what the gently caress ever it wants. It's definitely one of the weaker Part 5 fights, which is unfortunate since most are pretty stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked that ball breaker, as the ultimate form of gyro's medicinal/executioner spin, was something designed to kill someone by causing them to age to death

I just wasn't sure what Tusk Act 4 did because it seemed kind of strange that the ultimate power of spin meant that he could use it to cause everything about the target to spin infinitely, forcing them to a central point (IIRC that is what it did with valentine, it kept trying to drag him underground in each universe he swapped to), but then also it can move during stopped time I guess because it is a mathematical force, a constant based around existence and stopping time isn't going to cause mathematical perfection to go away?

I dunno. And then yeah he does something in JJL and a rock lands on his head I don't even know what happened there