Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MY ABACUS! posted:

According to this dev stream, there are 4 maps in testing right now. One will come out soon-ish.
Current PTR changes will go into another round of changes and testing and could be another couple weeks go to live.
More new skins coming during the summer.
Friendly health bars for all heroes will be added eventually.

noooo gently caress give me the dva buffs, give them to me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Vargs posted:

they should remove splash damage on pharahs rockets imo its bullshit that she can hit me when he isnt aimning at me what kinda scrub tier fps are you making blizz

this is the same thing for sure, you got me!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

Play other characters, mate.

Hanzo isn't even in my top 5. Try again.

Kai Tave posted:

Third, the hitboxes as demonstrated on video are still fairly generous in that they don't require ultra-pinpoint 10,000 hours in CS:GO level precision, you simply can't score a headshot by landing an arrow four inches to the left of someone's virtual head now.

They're exactly as generous as Widowmaker's bullets. You can tag the tip of someone's ear with Widowmaker and score a headshot. The arrow model has to exactly intersect some part of their head's model to score a headshot. Why would you play Hanzo now over Widowmaker?

flashman posted:

then buff them in other ways to make up for it if they end up too weak. Having "can get a kill with a missed shot" as your strength is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard

It's not a missed shot. The shot actually hit them! What you're objecting to is the disparity between actual hitbox of the projectile itself and the visual size of the projectile. Arrows the size of logs look silly, so that's why Blizzard originally had the (invisible) hitboxes be larger than the projectile.

Shrinking the size of the projectile's hitbox is, no way around it, an enormous nerf to Hanzo. The other projectile characters have significantly larger visuals on their projectiles and it looks like they got affected less than Hanzo were, so it looks like Blizzard changed the hitboxes to match the visuals better without any plan to adjust the rest of the characters' power levels to fit.

The problem you're missing is that sometimes a high tolerance for landing a shot is much more palatable than the alternative for balancing out a character. If it's much harder to land a shot, then the typical go-to is increasing damage to balance out the "risk" and reward. Do you want to see Hanzo, Mei, and Zenyatta with even higher damage than what they have right now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Hanzo isn't even in my top 5. Try again.

You're the one whining about hitboxes being actual hitboxes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe we can make everything truck-sized so you can hit people.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Brannock posted:

. Do you want to see Hanzo, Mei, and Zenyatta with even higher damage than what they have right now?

Yes

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Fanning the Hammer is about the most Cowboy-ish thing I think of outside of downing an entire bottle of whiskey and then taking on the entire Saloon in a fist fight so no they should keep it and make it worthwhile to actually use.

Probably the only real way to adjust FtH's damage back upwards and not turn back into an accidental tank-buster would be either giving it a cooldown or removing the reload on combat rolling. I'd prefer the former rather than the latter given a choice since it adds more utility to combat roll.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I mean, Brannock is right that this change will make Hanzo absolutely trash tier without some sort of compensation for it (which knowing how Blizzard operates, won't happen anytime soon or ever) but at the same time I really, really can't feel bad for all those Hanzo players spamming arrows at corners at roughly head height.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hitscan heroes were already generally stronger than projectile ones so the hitbox change will probably make it even worse. hopefully there will be a big hitscan nerf at some point, and a healing nerf to go along with it

but maybe i'm only saying that because i don't like using hitscan guns

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

You're the one whining about hitboxes being actual hitboxes.

The dragon punch didn't even touch my model and he still hit me! This is bullshit!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The hitboxes are absolutely terrible and if they're a solution for bad tickrates then gently caress Blizzard, make them fix the tickrate instead of making stuff even jankier.

gently caress Hanzo too, the character is trash and lives by bus-sized arrows and now that stupid muffled ult call, make the dude someone that isn't made superfluous by five other classes.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

hanzo actually shoots invisible tree trunk arrows made of magic, and other hot takes

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Why would you play Hanzo now over Widowmaker?

This is a question folks have been legitimately asking since day one and even after Widowmaker got her bodyshot damage adjusted. Hanzo isn't a very well thought-out character in terms of "what role does this guy serve," people keep trying to say that he's some sort of skirmisher/sniper/whatever but most of what he does is done better by other characters, Widowmaker on attack included. "Master of overly generous headshot hitboxes" is not a good identity to base a hero around imo, and I think this is the more fundamental problem.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, Brannock is right that this change will make Hanzo absolutely trash tier without some sort of compensation for it (which knowing how Blizzard operates, won't happen anytime soon or ever) but at the same time I really, really can't feel bad for all those Hanzo players spamming arrows at corners at roughly head height.

I'd be fine with Hanzo receiving a more all-round rework including buffs but I'm not sure what you'd do to give him a distinct identity that isn't already going to be filled by Widowmaker, McCree, or someone else. Even before this change to headboxes it's not like he was some amazing go-to.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's a drat shame that Hanzo is going to be even more useless, as there is always one on my team.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Minorkos posted:

hitscan heroes were already generally stronger than projectile ones so the hitbox change will probably make it even worse. hopefully there will be a big hitscan nerf at some point, and a healing nerf to go along with it

but maybe i'm only saying that because i don't like using hitscan guns

The game will really get good when they punish people who aim

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Brannock posted:

Why would you play Hanzo now over Widowmaker?

press q, receive potg

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What is this bullshit game? Only when my abilities visually hit another character it counts as a hit? Try hard bs

strong bird
May 12, 2009

flashman posted:

What is this bullshit game? Only when my abilities visually hit another character it counts as a hit? Try hard bs

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Wheeee posted:

press q, receive potg

What Bracket Do You People Live In

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

strong bird posted:

The game will really get good when they punish people who aim

but hitscan shooting requires way less aiming than projectile shooting. hitscan shooting is just point and click

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I like that people are perfectly willing to accept that Reinhardt and Roadhog being colossally huge both has an effect on how often they're shot and can even be a balance consideration in and of itself (especially for Roadhog), but not consider that the same principle can apply to weapons.

Kai Tave posted:

Even before this change to headboxes it's not like he was some amazing go-to.

To be clear, since this conversation is already confused enough, headboxes aren't the same thing as projectile hitboxes.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
having abilities have forgiving hitboxes is fine in this video game

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hanzo's arrow hitbox too large and bastion is uncounterable!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean Hanzo is already kind of a weird mishmash of stuff as it stands. Scatter Arrow is an ability that seems like it ought to be some kind of corner-shot or crowd-control thing but works best by aiming it right at someone's feet so all the glowing shards hit them and kill them instantly, you have a projectile-based primary weapon with arc that slows you down to charge up in a game where a hitscan sniper is right over there, Sonic Arrow is basically Widowmaker's ult but in a limited area on a long cooldown, you have Genji's wall climb but no sweet double-jump, and then your ult which is decent enough. Beyond the comparisons to TF2 Huntsman snipers I have to admit that I'm just not really sure what Hanzo is supposed to be exactly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hashy posted:

Hanzo's arrow hitbox too large and bastion is uncounterable!

pick another character, mate

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Death comes. Death comes really, really fast.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PastelMemorableAfricanparadiseflycatcher.mp4

Crosspostin'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Edmond Dantes posted:

Crosspostin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRSI-_2a88

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Edmond Dantes posted:

Crosspostin'

I can see that ult doing some insane stuff if they don't slow it down slightly

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

This is what it means to go a level beyond DIE DIE DIE.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I propose a new character.

His M1 is an arcing laser beam. The laser beam has to charge up, and when charged up does more damage and shoots faster. It does 29 to 125 damage (charge-dependent) and can headshot. The laser beam has roughly the visual width of a Pharah rocket and a hitbox of corresponding size.

He can laser-jump up walls. His Shift ability turns the laser into an echolocation beam that tells you where enemies are walking around behind walls. His E turns the laser into a scatter laser that explodes at the point of impact. His ultimate shoots a giant laser that travels at about half the speed of his M1 and is ten times as wide.

He's an Omnic sniper with one optical lens, battle-scarred from the previous war and just now coming out of hiding, and his name is H4-NZ0.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

verbal enema posted:

I can see people who aren't used to the sudden speed boost overshooting their intended targets, Death Blossom already has a limited radius so it'd be pretty funny for a nanoboosted reaper to spin right out of range.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Blizz... why would you do to this to me. I was one of the good ones, my objective time was through the roof.. and now this,...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Double Hanzo's damage. Fixed.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

it can only be hitboxes or damage, no other changes are possible with the code, we're sorry

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I think he has lucio speed boost there too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ddraig posted:

It hasn't even gone live yet and already the Hanzo tears are starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlGSZqQdo0

Does this only effect Arrow's hitbox, or is it a character hitbox change like does it effect things like Mei2?

e: Apparently the guys on reddit are saying it effects most projectile weapons

quote:

I just went back in and tried Genji and Zenyatta, Genji's is somewhat similar, Zenyatta's has had significant change as well. They definitely have a slightly smaller hitbox then pre-patch VS. PTR.
From what I could tell, Hanzo pre-patch has the biggest hitbox, by a small bit, Genji and Zenyatta both can hit by aiming slightly off the bot's body.
On the PTR, the video shows Hanzo's hitboxes, while Genji and Zenyatta are almost the same pre-patch, especially around-the-corner shots, Hanzo's were the biggest offenders with a large hitbox jutting forward, for some odd reason. On PTR for those 2, I had to aim a the circle crosshair about halfway on the side of the bot's ear to get hits to register, while above their head was still very tall.
Edit: They have all been changed pretty significantly, going through again. Pre-patch, each projectile has quite a difference when testing it, but in PTR, they all seem a lot more equally sized. Uploading image album of all other heroes.

Actually correcting myself on that, Mei has had some very large change too, all projectile hitboxes feel much more equal in PTR.

http://imgur.com/a/rJoeZ

E: Hook is unchanged thou :toot:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The Hanzo I fear is the one on my team, not theirs. So this nerf makes it even easier for a teammate to flush 30 minutes of your life down the shitter because he insists on playing Worthless Anime Man.

People get frustrated by Hanzo kills since they're so random, but like shark attacks, they're not such a threat in the big picture. You don't notice the 28 times he whiffed before scatter shotting your feet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vargs posted:

I think he has lucio speed boost there too.

Oh I know but that is still ludicrous speed

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
hanzo instagibs people with his E i think that's his niche. teams use him on offense to hope for picks basically afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Where are the gifs and vids of insane damage Ana boosts