Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm going to keep on doing it because it is not dangerous in any way. I'm sorry you are incapable of driving without slamming your brakes and yanking the wheel over, and apparently not being considerate of the single other car you might see that late at night.

There are other things to watch out for on the road besides cars, ya dingus. I hope you don't cause anyone else a problem with your driving like a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Macaluso posted:

I wonder how they're gonna handle Articula, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew and Mewtwo (and other legendaries going foward). The trailer showing showing this big epic Mewtwo capture in Time Square is nice, but you obviously can't just have legendaries spawn only in one specific place in the world.

look kid, do you wanna be the very best, like no one ever was? then book some fuckin plane tickets

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FrankieGoes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4se870/pokemon_cp_tier_list/

I'm so close to having an Arcanine. Probably the best I'll be able to do unless I get lucky. Really need a Vaporeon, too. I've got the other two but not the vape.

Thanks for that. From the comments it sounds like the speed stat could be relevant as well. I'm well on my way to a Vaporeon and Arcanine and one of these days I'll head to a spot with heaps of Magikarp. Dragonite will be tough to get though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

uncurable mlady posted:

look kid, do you wanna be the very best, like no one ever was? then book some fuckin plane tickets

Look man I was gonna originally say that I think it'd be cool to catch a Mewtwo in the middle of a hurricane but that's not realistic alright!!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you take your eyes fully off the road at any time you risk an accident no matter what you are doing. "Reading billboards" is an activity that could cause accidents, doing so does not make you any worse a driver than anyone else on the freeway. I've experienced plenty of people who are dead to the world with both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, you should not trust anyone to be paying attention to you, period. Police departments ask motorists to use common sense, so use your best judgment when you need to be focused and when you can bring your phone up and tap that Pikachu to catch later. If you have the app open ensure that you bring it up to the wheel if you look at it so your peripheral vision can stay on what's in front of you, don't look down at your lap.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hatched a Snorlax today. A good day.

EDIT: butterfree just showed up on my desk, awesome.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Macaluso posted:

I wonder how they're gonna handle Articula, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew and Mewtwo (and other legendaries going foward). The trailer showing showing this big epic Mewtwo capture in Time Square is nice, but you obviously can't just have legendaries spawn only in one specific place in the world.

Sure you could. I mean, you'd do it more than once. A Mewtwo event at Times Square, maybe the next one is somewhere in LA, do it at a music festival, etc. Sucks for people that don't live in a big metro but thems the breaks. Have to work on those servers first though.

Now if they also added trading, which I think they will, that'd open up people's possibilities to acquire the legendaries even if they were time/location locked.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Operant posted:

Level 20 is basically the soft cap right? Seems like it takes a ridiculous amount of exp to level up from there

There's a level 23 holding down a gym near me. I suppose buying a bunch of lucky eggs and incense would help grinding out levels, but that's pretty nuts for only being a week in.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Legendaries will probably be a combination of promotional stuff (go to mcdonalds to catch Mew! Limit one per account) or special events (catch Zapdos this week, but it could show up anywhere so get hunting)

We don't really know yet though

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Caught in a grocery store parking lot! Newish mom here who just moved south of Boston and I'm bumming this didn't come out when I lived in Cambridge. I bet the pokestops are insane. I've found myself making excuses for me and the young tot to go out for errands, stopping at churches to, uh, pray for good loot. So few stops here.

Peacheshead
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list/table of the XP requirements for 10 onward? I'm starting to stockpile on candy/pidgeys/weedles to drop a lucky egg and start leveling and I want to have an idea of how far the stockpile will get me.

Not sure if this is actually accurate, but it's what I've been using :shrug:

http://serebii.net/pokemongo/trainer.shtml

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've started scoping out the gyms on my route home, which they're usually uncontested when I come by, and what order I need to hit them in to keep them all at the same time so I can cash in on them when I flip the last one, since holding gyms is impossible and a waste of time right now. Was leered at today by a small child while parked near one, who promptly put a CP 98 Pikachu in the gym when I took it down. I booted it out but some guy kept putting a 1200 Arcanine in so I only got 2 gyms today.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Okay so I am still early days here but what is optimum Pokémon raising strategy? Keep and powerlevel them using a lucky egg or something, so it's better keep the dozen rattatas I have then get rid of them?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Sure you could. I mean, you'd do it more than once. A Mewtwo event at Times Square, maybe the next one is somewhere in LA, do it at a music festival, etc. Sucks for people that don't live in a big metro but thems the breaks. Have to work on those servers first though.

Now if they also added trading, which I think they will, that'd open up people's possibilities to acquire the legendaries even if they were time/location locked.

"thems the breaks" would be a super lovely answer so hopefully they don't do that. I'm fine with them being locked to certain times

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized that Arizona is gonna get the short end of the stick when they patch in Gen 3 and 4 Pokemon. :smith:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

FairGame posted:

There are other things to watch out for on the road besides cars, ya dingus. I hope you don't cause anyone else a problem with your driving like a moron.

I'm sorry that looking around you before pulling in and out and being a considerate driver is such a huge challenge for you. Maybe it isn't me that should lose their license? Have you considered not running on roads in the middle of the night?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think they should lock the continents to the regions like in the games. That would be sick, offer something to do on your vacations, and encourage trading with foreigners.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Squeegy posted:

If you listen to music while driving you should have your loving license revoked, idiot. Also no talking, and a full 8 hours of sleep or get walking.

That's all totally the same as playing a loving phone game.

Squeegy posted:

I think they should lock the continents to the regions like in the games. That would be sick, offer something to do on your vacations, and encourage trading with foreigners.

There is no trading and that's a stupid idea.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The game freezing every other pokemon I encounter wouldn't be THE WORST if it also didn't take another 5-10 minutes to log back in after.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bottom Liner posted:

There is no trading and that's a stupid idea.

Trading's gonna be in the game before Gen 2 is, retard. They said they're adding it. Do you even Go?

e: p.s. all of those are things proven by studies to distract you while driving and make you more likely to get in an accident

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Just a hunch. Go to a park at sundown right when the map changes from light to dark, a real park where the ground is a dark green. Get someone to drop a lure, pop some incense and let the clefairys roll in. Not pictures the three Poliwags that showed up as well.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Macaluso posted:

"thems the breaks" would be a super lovely answer so hopefully they don't do that. I'm fine with them being locked to certain times

It's pretty much how the game is right now though. You're at a massive advantage in a metro area due to all of the spawns and stops and gyms versus a suburban or rural area. I don't think they'd worry about the suburban/rural people too much when they designed the special events because they didn't worry about them too much when they designed the games.

Geographic is only one way to do it though. Like someone else said, they could do promotional things or weekly things or several other ways. They've set up a canvas with the game that they could do a ton with and I hope they capitalize on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Live in a Seattle suburb... Just flew to SF Embarcadero for a week stays this place is LOUSY with new and exciting 'mon!

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Only been playing a couple days but today was fun as poo poo. Found a gym at my favorite dive bar and later hung out with a few dozen nerds at a spot near the state capitol. Fun stuff!

Also there are two pokestops at my place of work, one of which is literally over my head. So yay, free pokeballs and assorted crap :hellyeah:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I hope they restrict the legendary birds to their respective teams. Then everyone will regret not picking yellow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I hope they restrict the legendary birds to their respective teams. Then everyone will regret not picking yellow.

Why would that happen when Articuno is objectively the best of the three? :confused:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I could see getting the birds as some sort of reward for doing the gym stuff maybe, but I rather catch them.

I guess they could just be super duper duper duper rare for the later but have the gym stuff there to make it possible to get em.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend chose Team Mystic entirely on the basis of their leader being named Blanche.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

meanolmrcloud posted:

I can see this getting pretty worrying for some people. Went out to a park nearby on google maps, turns out its in the middle of a very high class neighborhood. It had a smallish lake with a walking path within 50 feet of a row of large houses and like three pokestops. Along the road were a dozen idling cars and random groups of teens, lureing the stops and walking around. Such a weird game, but I can't fault the homeowners for being concerned about the roving bands of kids at 10pm.

When i was a teenager in the summer we got together in groups and hung out at parks at 10pm. Except we were drinking and smoking weed. Now kids get to catch pokemons while drinking and smoking weed and that's cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my game crashed right as I hatched a 10km egg is there like anyway to figure out what it was?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MarcusSA posted:

So my game crashed right as I hatched a 10km egg is there like anyway to figure out what it was?

Sort your box by recents!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Does it show up in the journal?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

widespread posted:

Dammit I want one of these because it's just the best.

I mean, I caught a Kabuto some time earlier, and almost had a Machop, but god loving drat.

I've seen people mention Kabuto a few times, are they rare?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Why would that happen when Articuno is objectively the best of the three? :confused:

Only Zapdos can hit both of the other birds for super effective damage. Meanwhile Articuno is the only bird who's weak to both of the others.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Aren't flying types weak to ice? Articuno still DA BEST

E: ah poo poo right it does half to fire though. Well, she got UNO in her name because she's NUMERO UNO

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can you discard eggs? I'm at 9/9 and want to make some space for 5/10km eggs without needing to walk several miles beforehand. :(

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Okay so I am still early days here but what is optimum Pokémon raising strategy? Keep and powerlevel them using a lucky egg or something, so it's better keep the dozen rattatas I have then get rid of them?

Evolving one Pokemon gives you 500 exp. Doing this with the Lucky Egg on doubles it into 1000 exp. The lowest requirements for evolving are usually three-tiered crap Pokemon like Pidgey (requiring just 12 candy), but whatever amount you can save for a guaranteed evolution should be saved when you're ready to use that Lucky Egg.

Lucky Eggs last 30 minutes when you use them. The quickest humanly possible you can evolve is maybe 2 evolutions a minute? So saving up 50-60 evolutions would maximize how many evolutions you can do within the span of one Lucky Egg granted the game doesn't freeze randomly or the servers don't crash while you have the Lucky Egg activated.

Here's a chart about experience points and levels people found on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4s1cpq/xp_requirements_for_levels_so_far_125/

First Lucky Egg you can get without spending real money is the level 9 bonus. At most you can jump to level 14 if you saved up enough evolutions to occupy the whole 30 minutes. If all this is too :spergin: for you, you can always use the Lucky Egg however you like and with as much or less evolutions you feel like doing. Nothing wrong with leveling the old-fashioned way, but just remember that one Lucky Egg-induced evolution done in less than 30 seconds equals the amount you earn catching 10 Pokemon.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Also there are two pokestops at my place of work, one of which is literally over my head. So yay, free pokeballs and assorted crap :hellyeah:

People with this are set for life. People in suburbia like me have to make ball runs in Pokestop-dense areas of our town. :(

Sammus posted:

I've seen people mention Kabuto a few times, are they rare?

They're probably as rare as the starter Pokemon but I don't live by the sea or a big body of water, so it might be more common there.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 14, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are there plans to add an actual Pokemon game to Pokemon GO at some point? You can't trade or battle other people, and the battles are extremely shallow. Who cares about rare pokemon when there are no special moves? It seems like the only thing that matters is level and type.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Shazam™ this commercial now to get the secret YouTube™ video link to discover which New York City Pokestop™ has the powerful Nike® Ultratrainer™ Pokeball, which you can use at the Coca-Cola® summer concert series to gain 1 of the 10 needed shards to summon the legendary Mewtwo™!!!! Brought to you by Verizon®

- this poo poo in a year, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Willsun posted:

People with this are set for life. People in suburbia like me have to make ball runs in Pokestop-dense areas of our town. :(

I have one stop within walking distance of my house, and I'd have to camp there all day to get enough items. But during lunch I drive over and take an hour long walk through one of the densest areas I've seen and nearly max out items every day. It doesn't take much to fill up if you can reach a downtown area every other day, and you'll be able to play in the dead zones without worry.

• Locked thread